What would you change?

Xtal

A poor manager who doesn't suit us domestically or the players we have.

A poor scouting department that has frittered away what little money we do have on players who are inconsistent, injury prone or don't fit our system.

Players who are capable of one off freak games in Europe but cannot do the basics in such a poor league.

We have very clearly failed to use what we do have to the best of our ability to make up for our lack of funds and you could make a case for anyone at the club being dispensable now.

Oh god.

Where to start.

I'd want a manager who insists on the basics and understands that a million crosses is not a winning tactic in Scotland. A coach that understands the horrors of the SPL and adjusts his side accordingly.

I'd also question the idea that we can't do better than Tavernier, Goldson, Jack, Kent and the other players who can't win cups or cope with the sharper end of the domestic game. I know that will have people looking up my IP and coming to my door with pitchforks but I'm comfortable saying it.

Oh god.

Where to start.

I'd want a manager who insists on the basics and understands that a million crosses is not a winning tactic in Scotland. A coach that understands the horrors of the SPL and adjusts his side accordingly.

I'd also question the idea that we can't do better than Tavernier, Goldson, Jack, Kent and the other players who can't win cups or cope with the sharper end of the domestic game. I know that will have people looking up my IP and coming to my door with pitchforks but I'm comfortable saying it.

Get that Nord VPN subscription bought now. ;)

The same core of players fail us in big games, domestically, time after time. It's nothing new and it won't change. There's a lack of character and mental strength that we don't see when they play in europe. Don't ask me why.

How many trophies do we not win before that becomes obvious to people ?

Start by investing in players that can make a difference and add quality. Lundstram the only success of summer recruitment. Diallo & Ramsey have been waste of loan money. Not to forget that bacuna was hyped up and away within 6 months.

Serious questions over Wilson and his staff. For the little money we have had to spent we haven't spent it wisely. Worrying that we have been heavily linked with Veerman, Skov Olsen which never materialised and Doekhi still waiting on pre-contract looking less likely he'll want to sign for us.

No confidence that Gio can build a winning side given the negative tactics he deploys domestically.

Huge changes required, the board to give them credit have done alot over the last few years but they need to answer some questions. Lack of funding I can't understand to a certain degree but some of the decision making i.e the Oz friendly have just showed them up and its embarrassing.

If we don't get fresh investment soon it won't matter who the manager is or what the tactics are.

Ross wilson will probably flood this team with cheap garbage signings in the summer if we follow the same transfer strategy as the last few years and whoever the manager is by then will be asked to make a silk purse out of pigs ear.

The reality is football is about money these days our board just can't compete with the money the yahoos will get next season thanks to them being cheap in January.

We need fresh ideas and investment or else its going to be a very long few years for us.

The tactics first, if we treated today like the Belgrade game I believe we would have won

Gio has proven he has tactical ability, but that he’s an utter shitebag who treats them with far too much respect
This was the thing I loved about Gerrard. Treated them like he'd scraped them off his shoes. Rubbed off on the players, and we dominated them. Utter contempt for them, which I think we can all buy into. Gio has too much respect, and it's not a good look.

This was the thing I loved about Gerrard. Treated them like he'd scraped them off his shoes. Rubbed off on the players, and we dominated them. Utter contempt for them, which I think we can all buy into. Gio has too much respect, and it's not a good look.
The pendulums completely swung again, they despise us. Tattie face Ralston gets brought on and instantly snaps Kent in half. McGregor running about like he’s possessed. Their Greek guy talking shite about us in the media, then getting proven right. It’s all hard to stomach how meek we’ve become.

It's the refereeing in Scotland I'd change.

In Europe we get to play football and VAR corrects most mistakes. (No co-incidence that Celtic have been dismal in Europe.)

This season has seen the benefit of the doubt go for them without exception and against us without exception.
Even today, as disappointing as our performance was, Collum missed at least four first half bookings which had a bearing on the result and at least one clear penalty - Goldson being hauled down.

In short, with VAR and fair officiating, we would be winning this title even accounting for the self-inflicted wounds and lapses in performance.

I would start with the goalkeeper. He has cost us dearly this season. We will possibly get one more good season out if Tav but with Patterson having left us, we will need to seek out a good replacement. Goldson will be gone although we have a capable centre half coming in from Hearts. We will lose several other players in the summer - Aribo, Kent, Alfie, Kamaea and probably Borna. GvB will need to be up for it, bigbtime.

I would start with the goalkeeper. He has cost us dearly this season. We will possibly get one more good season out if Tav but with Patterson having left us, we will need to seek out a good replacement. Goldson will be gone although we have a capable centre half coming in from Hearts. We will lose several other players in the summer - Aribo, Kent, Alfie, Kamaea and probably Borna. GvB will need to be up for it, bigbtime.
Don't mind most of these players going. Alfie aside, who will.leave anyway, the rest won't be too hard to replace. Even Kent is fits and starts. For £7m we need more. Certainly more often. I'm genuinely worried about giving Gio the proceeds. He needs to get that right. I'm worried.

So by the sounds of it we are changing everything from the Chairman right down to Jimmy Bell. All with that magic money tree again

The defence, and in that I include the goalkeeper.

Celtic are the only team in the league who, realistically, are/were our only challengers.

We didn't lose the league today - since the turn of the year dropping points at home against Ross County, Dundee Utd and Motherwell is fuckin' atrocious.

So far today I've seen demands for the board, Ross Wilson, Gio and half the squad to be sacked.

Sounds like Jimmy Bell is the only guy who will be left at this rate.

FWIW, I think we need a new spine to the team in defence and midfield and I think at least some of that can come from the development squad.

In the meantime we have to pick ourselves up and concentrate on two cups.

New keeper. The Bodo/Glimt guy that's OOC later this year would be perfect. Two new CB's, Goldson can GTF, Soutar is coming in but I'd actually go for Jack Hendry (I know, I know). I'd replace Arfield, Aribo, and Wright with another Bodo/Glimt player, Solbakken, backed up with Sakala.
Jack & Lundstram need cover & it looks like Kamara has lost the appetite under Gio so if he goes we need another MF to provide cover.
LW I'd go for Nordli from Aalesunds.
I'd replace Tav but no idea who with.

Don't mind most of these players going. Alfie aside, who will.leave anyway, the rest won't be too hard to replace. Even Kent is fits and starts. For £7m we need more. Certainly more often. I'm genuinely worried about giving Gio the proceeds. He needs to get that right. I'm worried.

I share your worry but he's been given the rask and he'll need to be up for it. Gerrard when he cane in knewcwhat he wanted. GvB inherited Gerrard's team but he's going to have to build his own after the summer. I just hope he's up to it.

I share your worry but he's been given the rask and he'll need to be up for it. Gerrard when he cane in knewcwhat he wanted. GvB inherited Gerrard's team but he's going to have to build his own after the summer. I just hope he's up to it.
If we're going to allow him to spunk millions he simply has to get it right. Fat mess has done it with players no one knew. Surely GvB can do it. But he just seems a passive guy. Can't put my finger on it.

This summer...

A new manager.

McGregor, Goldson, Aribo, Kent, Kamara, Roofe - ALL SOLD/GONE.

A new manager who will prioritise domestic football and a squad full of fresh faces to compliment the likes of Tav, Jack, Lundstram etc.

Time for a clear out and a big rebuild. Kent, Aribo, Alfie are out of contract at the end of next season. They will all have to be moved on as I don’t think any will sign new contracts without CL football. Not convinced they should be offered one. McGregor is done, Borna needs moved on, Balogun out of contract, Goldson out of contract, Davis done.

I have a sneaking suspicion we may actually keep Ramsey for a year. (Could be nonsense.) Lowry should be an important part of any rebuild. Possibly Charlie McCann too. Hopefully Hagi comes back firing.

Gio and Wilson have a massive job ahead. We should bring in £30-35m and free up lots of wage room, but there is a lot of work to be done.

The same core of players fail us in big games, domestically, time after time. It's nothing new and it won't change. There's a lack of character and mental strength that we don't see when they play in europe. Don't ask me why.

How many trophies do we not win before that becomes obvious to people ?
There's no pressure on them in Europe, it's viewed as a 'bonus'.

Result entirely on the manager. Genuinely no clue, just standing on the sidelines hoping something will happen with the floated balls into the box from 25 yards out. Aribo should have been hooked instead of Ramsey. Kent anonymous but plays every minute and apparently having a good season with a grand total of 2 goals. Celtic wide men completely nullified tav and were still putting the sprints in at the end of the game unlike us. Blatantly obvious that the game plan wasn't working but as usual Gio doesn't have an alternative.

Back