What would you consider to be a satisfactory achievement for Big Phil in his first season?

BigN

What do you think would constitute a satisfactory outcome to the season given that our new manager took over the reigns mid season: 1 Cup, 2 Cups, 1 Cup and League, Treble?

From where he was at the beginning, 2 cups was an achievement and one was probably satisfactory.

From where he was a couple of weeks ago, the league and a cup was satisfactory.

From where we are now, 2 cups are probably "satisfactory" if immensely disappointing because the league was the main thing.

But he'll rightly remain in post even if the league cup is our lot. He'll just have less room for error early next season (rightly or wrongly).

The treble or even the league would be miraculous given what he inherited.

Unfortunately for big Phil, losing the league (and I think we will) will be a massive disappointment. It’s the hope that kills you!

However if someone had offered both cups and, say, a last day finish in the league when the imposter got sacked, I’m pretty sure we’d all have bitten their hand off!

If you’d said to any of us in October when he took over that he’d win the one or two cups, get us in a title race, and top the Europa group, you’d have thought it was an incredible turnaround from the mess we were in.

Unfortunately he’s a victim of his own success to some degree, and having got us 2 points in front in the league, we’ll all now be massively disappointed if we don’t win it.

And if we don’t win the league I don’t think we pick ourselves up to win the SC either, so it’s likely we just finish with the LC. That will feel disappointing considering where we were a few weeks ago.

It would be hard to be disappointed with the 2 cups from where we were but that should be the bare minimum now.

To have got to the position we were in however, it isn’t unfair to regard losing the league (if we do) as a failure.
Can’t agree!

It was a fantastic achievement to get us back in the race never mind bookies favourites for a few weeks! Topping our Europa League group another huge achievement. We were a dodgy penalty away from knocking out Benfica

Satisfactory is winning a cup and another cup final. Pushing them all the way in the league is a bonus from where we were.

We are still in the running for a treble post split. Beale left an utter shambles behind him and what the current manager has achieved is more than just satisfactory

Two cups would match Big Eck's first season, albeit he didn't take over a team who could challenge in the league.

Two cups and CL qualification one way or another would be massive.

We can't expect a manager to come in during a season every year and win the league. He's on the back foot from the off.

PC has done brilliantly to have us in the race going into the split. A painful few weeks just now, but overall we're still in it from nowhere previously.

Coming away from Parkhead with a realistic chance of winning the league, and winning the Scottish Cup should be the aims now.

Ask the question when he first arrived and most people would have said win the cups. We then ended up in a position of having a great chance of winning the league and we are now in a situation of it being in our own hands but less chance than a couple of weeks ago. So a cup double would have been a great achievement if you asked when he first came but not as of two weeks ago.

I think if we win the Scottish cup as of where we are today, I’ll be pretty happy.

Yes, the league is the ultimate prize but whoever loses an old firm cup final is going to sting for a while so I think they’d go into the summer worried about us next season.

That said, right now all we should worry about is 3 points tonight and keeping on their coattails till we go to Torbett Towers at least

The league title - plain and simple. The cups are decoration and make a nice double or treble, but if we don’t win the league then the season is a failure.

PC gets the credit for getting us into the lead (game in hand notwithstanding) with 7 games to play.

If picking up 1/9 points from 2 home games v Motherwell, Celtic and a trip to Dingwall ultimately costs us the title, then we’ll have capitulated when you can see the finish line.

I think if we win the Scottish cup as of where we are today, I’ll be pretty happy.

Yes, the league is the ultimate prize but whoever loses an old firm cup final is going to sting for a while so I think they’d go into the summer worried about us next season.

That said, right now all we should worry about is 3 points tonight and keeping on their coattails till we go to Torbett Towers at least
I’d rather win the title without winning a single old firm game and lose the cup final.

The league is our primary aim every season. If they win the league, they won’t be ‘worried’ if we beat them for the first time this season because we still can’t take the bins out every week v Ross County or Motherwell.

Can’t agree!

It was a fantastic achievement to get us back in the race never mind bookies favourites for a few weeks! Topping our Europa League group another huge achievement. We were a dodgy penalty away from knocking out Benfica

Satisfactory is winning a cup and another cup final. Pushing them all the way in the league is a bonus from where we were.

We are still in the running for a treble post split. Beale left an utter shambles behind him and what the current manager has achieved is more than just satisfactory
He’s going to become a victim of success in that sense, given the recovery he oversaw. However to get to that position (ahead of them) and collapse I think would actually end up as a black mark against him.

When he came in I said I would be content with the League Cup, clawing back the difference in the league and a respectful performance in the Europa.

I don’t care if this is a managers first season or 10th, If we don’t win title it’s a major failure! Cups in reality mean fcuk all unless it’s for a double or treble

The time to ask this question was when he took over.

And almost universally the answer would've been "close the gap to Celtic and try to win a cup".

He's done it and more. He's already into the "exceeded expectations" realm with this squad.
Correct

As down as I am about how our season is panning out, the reality is he has had a great start, especially when you consider the squad he has worked with.

Let him build a squad and we will have success. I have no doubt about that.

None

Considering where we were earlier this season, a cup double would be very good.

That said, we went top and looks like we've most likely fucked it (again) - missing out on the title again is dissapointing.

PC has got a massive task on his hands in the summer regardless.

7 points behind when he came in mid October - to have the league in our hands with 6 games to go is already a massive achievement not to mention a League Cup in the bag.
To have the chance to really put our foots on Celtic’s throat and go 5 points clear with a home win with no away fans, to then being a point behind (assuming we win tonight) is the flip side of that.

What a desperate state of affairs to be claiming ‘massive achievements’ when Celtic are giving away points like sweeties to Killie, Hearts and others.

Overall from the position we were in when Clement took over it has been a remarkable turnaround.

But it's hard not to feel disappointed with what has happened in the last month or so.

Benfica were there for the taking, avoidable losses to Motherwell and Ross County and we started the Old Firm in the worst possible way and just scraped a draw after doing so well to get back level then switching off and letting them score. Gifting goals away like sweeties in multiple games.

Hopefully he can galvanise the team for one final push as there are still 2 competitions left to be won but it looks more likely we are going to limp over the line.

Big Summer ahead regardless of the outcome. Winning the league just makes recruitment and planning that bit easier.

I’d rather win the title without winning a single old firm game and lose the cup final.

The league is our primary aim every season. If they win the league, they won’t be ‘worried’ if we beat them for the first time this season because we still can’t take the bins out every week v Ross County or Motherwell.

Well yeah of course you’d rather win the title, that’s obvious. But I said as of where we are today…winning the title suddenly looks a lot more challenging.

I’m not throwing in the towel but I am bracing myself for the reality that we likely won’t now.

So beating them in the last match of the season to win the cup would be some sort of consolation as to how we can fair next season.

He’s going to become a victim of success in that sense, given the recovery he oversaw. However to get to that position (ahead of them) and collapse I think would actually end up as a black mark against him.

The black mark is against the players who have shit the bed time and time again. The fact that Clement got them in that position from where we were when Beale got sacked is a minor miracle.

It would be hard to be disappointed with the 2 cups from where we were but that should be the bare minimum now.

To have got to the position we were in however, it isn’t unfair to regard losing the league (if we do) as a failure.

Being two points in front in the league and then pissing that momentum away with two defeats in four to Motherwell and Ross County at the business end of the season is a massive failure for any Rangers side.

Of course Clements season will be looked at circumstantially based on where we were 6 months ago (and rightly so), but the last 4 league games have been an absolute disaster.

Given where we were when he came in I think whatever happens from now is 'acceptable', aside from a complete implosion

I think a bit like the last old firm game the answer is "it depends". Before the game we all wanted a win, but given that we were 2-1 then 3-2 down with minutes to spare, we were all relatively happy to get the draw in the end.

When Clement came in I think we would've taken a cup or two and not finishing miles away from Celtic.

Given where we were a week ago, I think we'd be massively disappointed not to win the league now.

From where we were 2 cups in a success.
However losing the league will be a failure in regards to us pulling it back going top & blowing it.

Not to win the league would be a massive disappointment, I get were we where when PC took over and what he inherited, to be in a position to win it and to falter so badly recently is excruciating.

Other teams have done us favours, we plodded away, overturned the deficit and were in a strong position.

So what an utter shambles it has been recently.

At beginning of the season a League Cup might have been acceptable.

However, expectations rise as the team improves. The League Cup isn't good enough now.

We were ahead in the League and now we're chasing.

I want the League. We won't get it.

Where is the team that gubbed Real Betis ?

Losing the league to the scum due to the absolute sickening attitude of our players will be difficult to take. Regardless of whether we win the Scottish Cup or not.

The fact that despite the many years and seasons of disappointments, so many of our players still felt they only had to turn up and they'd win the match. Motherwell at Ibrox for instance. Sunday v Ross County.

Being two points in front in the league and then pissing that momentum away with two defeats in four to Motherwell and Ross County at the business end of the season is a massive failure for any Rangers side.

Of course Clements season will be looked at circumstantially based on where we were 6 months ago (and rightly so), but the last 4 league games have been an absolute disaster.
It will also be evaluated properly at the end of the season, not with 7 games (hopefully 8) remaining.

Given the position we were in mid March, I’d say not winning the league is a major failure and questions will rightly be asked

A cup double does not make up for not winning the league

From day 1;

* 1 cup and 1 final would have felt reasonable.

From 3 weeks ago;

* league title and a cup

Sadly, if you manage to get us into the position to compete, that sets expectations.

We shouldn’t be losing to Motherwell and Ross County inside a month.

I’d be disappointed with a cup double now, fwiw. Which feels mental, but 8 games to go, we were favourites.

He's done a very good job since coming in with a group of players who looked down and out under Beale.

However, there have been signs recently of the same gutless performances creeping in again so I hope tonight we can rectify that.

Winning the league has to be our priority at the start of each season and while it's not beyond the realms of possibility that we can still do it - the last 2 performances and results have not been good when we had the chance to cement our place at the top of the league.

I would be happy with the league cup and the league. Failing that the league cup and Scottish cup.

What do you think would constitute a satisfactory outcome to the season given that our new manager took over the reigns mid season: 1 Cup, 2 Cups, 1 Cup and League, Treble?

Treble but we’ve probably already thrown away the league thanks to the usual suspects.

If, as i expect, we don't win the league even a Scottish Cup will mean it has be another disappointing season.

Winning domestic cups when you don't win the league always makes it a hollow season.

Considering where we were in September and how far in front they were

To even have us challenging wi5 games remaining is an achievement in itself- look how far he has taken us from the Beale era with the exact same players

Next season will be about the players Phil signs not what he inherited from Beale’s disastrous signings

He's got himself into a position where we can win the League, so winning the League!
To an outside perspective he's already been a success, last 16 of Europe and Silverware in the bag but his biggest success has been getting a squad of imbalanced crocks to perform.

Latest posts

Back