Whatever happened to Chick Young?

He was on a flight back home from Turkey a good few years ago, trying to look all Italian, jumper draped over his shoulder, sunglasses on head, fair put my Umbro/kappa combo to shame.
Anyway we arrive at the reclaim, the usual rush/bedlam to get your case, he stood well away from the melee and as usual my case one of the last off practically, only me and the family and him left to collect our cases.
Now not sure if he was being aloof and not wanting to mix with us commoners or maybe he is right, what’s another 10 mins to your holiday and miss the baggage reclaim rugby scrum.

I remember reading about his behaviour in the fanzine ( or possibly number1 )
at Davie Cooper's funeral.
The number of mourners could not be accommodated in the Church, consequently many had to stand at the back or even outside.
Every one accepted that and maintained decorum and manners.
Apart from Chic, who insisted he be put in the front rows.
If true, absolute low class behaviour.
A pointless small man with an unjustified high opinion of himself.

The first thing I think about when I hear Chick Young is that Only an Excuse Rangers in Manchester sketch.

Chick reporting live on the ground:
“No one knows who these hooligans are”

Rangers supporter in the background:
“I’ve got your tickets here, Chick”

Chick:
“I’ll be with you in a minute Billy!” B-)

Probably one of the few sketches on Only an Excuse that were funny.
Maybe you had to be there!

Saw him walking past the Granary in Shawlands a few weeks ago. Trying to look like a vibey old man, but looked a bit like a hairy biker.
He must live in the area.

I saw him and presumably his pal (or lover) walking along Nether Auldhouse rd.
Both wearing shorts and looking ridiculous.

was interesting in reading Mark Hatelys book that Sounness asked Chick to call Mark and sound him out on whether he would move to Rangers.
Must have been well in with Rangers at that time
He he used to get the exclusives back in the day with Souness. I remember a pre season interview with him in the centre circle at Ibrox with chairs and the league trophy

He was on Sportsound on Saturday. I caught 5 mins of him Gordon and Willie Miller saying they couldn’t believe the outcry about Clancy as they thought he wasn’t that bad.

Souness seemed to like Chick Young for some reason and he was his friendly journalist to put a story through… which led to a lot of the Chick is a Rangers fan line from people.

Walter Smith might have been less accommodating for the bold Charles.
Walter and Chic Young got on very well.

Hadn't heard him for years but happened to catch him on the radio the night Walter passed. He sounded devastated, as did Keevins on clyde.

Oddly enough, I was talking about him at the weekend regarding a time in the 80's where my work had enough guys who played football, amateur or junior to play a number of challenge matches each year. Chick Young used to play for one of our regular opponents. In truth he was a decent wee player, but a mouthy git who needed the odd slap to shut him up.
Played against him a few times when he played for AC Milanda. He was decent, but his level went down very quickly as he got older. Thought he was Souness in the early days and his mouth would get him in trouble, including get himself sent off the day St Boo won the SC

i may be in a minority here but in days of old when we couldn't watch virtually every match on a tv and radio was the only way to keep abreast ,i always enjoyed chick and cowan in their warm up programme .
ah the old days of MW when the sound kept coming and going,usually at the exciting bits too .

He's always been a freelancer who is contracted to the BBC for the duration of the football season. I know people who know him through work at the BBC who say he is sound. Still waiting for Eoin Jess to exclusively sign for Rangers though.
Correct, never been a BBC employee. I knew someone 20 years ago who was very close to him at the BBC. They were very fond of him. He never got on with Jim Traynor mainly cause traynor felt he brown nosed a lot. Traynor did batter the BBC head of sport Dougie Wernam in his hotel room once so maybe the issue was Traynor. Wernam was a staunch bluenose, that’s probably why he was sacked

Did he not disappear for a period of time through his refusal to embrace social media?

One thing about Chick is he comes from an era of sports journalism where you had a sound network of sources. Changed days.
His sound network of sources must have been holiday when he told us Eoin Jess would sign for Rangers in the next 24 hours. Same with Gordon Durie , although about a year later that transfer did happen.

I used to like the Dowanhill Hack’s stories about him back in the fanzine days. It’s fair to say he wasn’t a fan and told us about Chick’s strop over the lack of lime for his Sol and his nighttime driving habits.

I've always liked Chick Young. He comes across as a decent guy.

To lose his son at such a young age as well is horrific. God knows how you cope with that.

I think the only an excuse sketches maybe got to him? Did he start trying to prove that he wasn’t a Rangers fan for his credibility or something?

I loved the one where someone mentions St Mirren’s best ever achievement and says to him you’ll know all about that Chick, and then he’s totally blank and says oh yes of course what a glorious night it was.
‘Ah yes, oh how we danced in the streets of Mirren!’

I used to like the Dowanhill Hack’s stories about him back in the fanzine days. It’s fair to say he wasn’t a fan and told us about Chick’s strop over the lack of lime for his Sol and his nighttime driving habits.

His Speirs stories were even better, Dubwisers Double Standard posted on here was fantastic as well.

Last edited:
Souness seemed to like Chick Young for some reason and he was his friendly journalist to put a story through… which led to a lot of the Chick is a Rangers fan line from people.

Walter Smith might have been less accommodating for the bold Charles.
I think Walter viewed him as a friend.

He did lose his only son Keith in an accident, Sally Carr the singer in the band middle of the road was his mother. Both took it really hard as they were really close, was very very sad.
That was a tough thing for anyone to survive.
To be a parent and to lose child must be hell on earth.
I always felt for Chick in those circumstances and perhaps he deserves a wee bit of slack on here.
Walter liked him as a person, even if he poked a stick into the journo, and that is damn fine recommendation.

Back