What's required between now and July/August to ensure we get through the Champions League qualifiers and are ready to challenge?

Cooperfan

What is needed and how can we ensure we will be strong enough to beat the likes of Benfica or PSV Eindhoven (as well as domestically)?

The most important thing for me it's that we get all our transfer business over with early. We still have two tournaments to play for this season but work needs done soon, if it hasn't already, for the next.

A meaningful budget (unlikely to happen), a new head of recruitment and a new manager.

Also getting what we can for the “assets” we have. That means cashing in on Kent, Aribo and sadly probably Morelos.

I don’t actually think with the rebuild we face with little money, and the short time we have to do it that qualification is likely.

If we go out of Europe - we need to start looking for a new manager at that point. We also need to try and generate some cash to back him. Do it the correct way. GVB was a disaster waiting to happen and a blind man could have seen it. Find someone with no affiliation to the club who has a proven track record in overachieving. I've seen @erskine bear bang the Knutsen drum and it's very hard to disagree with him, his team plays good football. Although they are sitting 9th just now but I think(hope) we could give him a little more spending power than he gets at Bodo.

On the flipside, it could be a complete disaster so I'm really unsure of what the answer is :))

We need to hit the ground running with recruitment.

Not fcking about waiting to see who we draw in the qualifiers, no sitting waiting until we've sold screeds of players or drawn out contract negotiations, just identify targets early and do whatever we can to bring them in or move down the list.

Dithering would be fatal.

Also a very good and planned pre season. Last season was a shit show without the early qualifiers to blow cobwebs away.

One word "money" we could have the best management team in the world in place but if your asking them to fish around for bargain basement signings while the opposition are spending £20-30 million all you'll get is a repeat of the same thing next season.

Most unlikely a new manger. We need investment for new players or sell a few we have at present. We need to keep Morelos and in my view Kent but any of the rest could go if the price was right. Kent has done more than some think with assists and getting us penalties and with the right midfield is worth keeping. Lowry and some other youngsters should have the chance now to see what they can do as we need a few youngsters coming in.

Massive cash investment ( can not see that happening due to current board and those on the periphery at war )
Player recruitment
Use of colts players

Coming back to pre season a week early to be sure of being fit enough for CL qualifiers could be a good idea.

Sell 3 or 4 of our so-called "main" players along with some dead wood and reinvest the £20-25m (ish) we should bring in smartly and fairly quickly.

A miracle. Its one hugely difficult task to get through all these qualifiers, especially when drawn against teams who are half way through their domestic season.

I fear we may have to readjust our European expectations for the coming season. Our level of performance is not going to continue.

There is no way we can ensure getting through the qualifiers. Far better Rangers sides than this one have failed to qualify from the qualifiers before.

Also a very good and planned pre season. Last season was a shit show without the early qualifiers to blow cobwebs away.
Aye, Morelos in particular always used the early qualifiers to get fit & get confidence. This seasons just been weird in general

We need to hit the ground running with recruitment.

Not fcking about waiting to see who we draw in the qualifiers, no sitting waiting until we've sold screeds of players or drawn out contract negotiations, just identify targets early and do whatever we can to bring them in or move down the list.

Dithering would be fatal.
I agree. Players who don't sign a new contract by the transfer window opening should be openly sold for whatever can we get in. No more Goldson style deals. Players need sold early for what we can get. It's our own fault for letting them run their contracts down.

As a bare minimum a conversation around who actually wants to be here and who doesn’t, with a quick turnaround in player movement out the door. End of an era for this group of players.

A wider thought process around a new management team and a wider process around the senior staff at the club and the job they are doing, i.e Ross Wilson. Very clear there are a number of people at our club underperforming.

One word "money" we could have the best management team in the world in place but if your asking them to fish around for bargain basement signings while the opposition are spending £20-30 million all you'll get is a repeat of the same thing next season.
Sadly we're in this situation. It was always the scenario for whoever finished second. There's automatic CL qualification for next year's winners too and they have all the money unless we can get through these qualifiers in the summer. It's essential we get through them.

We need to get the recruitment spot on.

The players coming into their last year try to move on early (although would rather an extension for Morelos). Ideally we get the core of our business done early for pre season but can’t see it.

Big rebuild required

Gio is going to have to win the cup to buy him a summer rebuild, the cup isn't enough for me but would at least save the embarrassment of watching them lift another treble.

If they put us out he should be sacked immediately.

We could do with bringing a couple of players from the Ukrainian league that is suspended. I am sure Shaktar Donestk a couple of quality players who might be available.

- New management appointed by the start of pre-season
- targets brought in early
- those who aren’t signing a new deal sold quickly and funds brought in

That gives us a fighting chance in the qualifiers

I just can't understand how GVB managed to be bossed by a guy from OZ who didn't even have the correct licence.

It's actually embarrassing and that's before working out the 12 point swing.

A ruthless manager with a game plan and understands the basics of defending would be nice.

Edit: unfortunately we are stuck with GVB for the remainder of his contract and must back him with cash.

I said at the beginning of the season that should we lose the title the manager must go. Of course we have got in a new manager who has managed to throw it away. No idea why we gave him sign a long contact.

Whatever I feel after yesterday is irrelevant as he'll be here next season and needs backed. I'm not sure he will be backed with much money though, even SG wasn't after winning the league. We know there are reasons for that but at the very least we should have invested in a right sided forward. IMHO of course.

Seen on twitter today if we beat Braga then that should be us looking like being seeded for the entirety of the qualifiers - that might be the most important thing we do between now and then, if it means avoiding one of the big dogs in qualifying.

Employ Bo Svensson as the manager I wanted him when Gerrard left and I still want him now , he’s at Mainz the best breeding ground for a manager in the last 20 years previously managed by Klopp , Andersen , Hjulmand , Tuchel , Schwartz , Bierlozer and Lichte who have all went on to better things so they must do something right at Mainz.

Funds - which must come from player sales. Top recruitment to replace those outgoing players and a management to get the best out of the team.

Sell Aribo, Kent, Kamara, Barasic and Morelos. Bank £25m to cover running losses, use what's left to replace them and Goldson, McGregor and Davis. Sell Katic and Itten. Use Lowry and McCann more often.
Celtic have shown you can carry the odd average player. Greg Taylor is no better than 4 or 5 left backs in SPFL.

Back