What's the deal with qualification from the EL group?

Absolute nonsense. European football should always be taken seriously. There were three competitions for decades, and we'd rightly bang on for ages if we'd won the Fairs cup as well as the CWC.

Winning a European Trophy in our 150th year, on the 50th anniversary of Barcelona, and the first Scottish club to win two European trophies, would be huge. Our grandkids would talk about it.
I agree with you, we have no right to look down on any European competition considering we’ve greatly underachieved.

However, Aberdeen have two European trophies.

I saw a thread on here that showed that the prize money in the Conference isn’t much worse than it is in the Europa. I’ve long thought we might prefer to come 3rd in our Europa group as we’d have more chance of an extended European run.

Then again, it’s not the end of the world being knocked out of Europe this season; giving us time to focus on the league. The importance of winning the league can’t be overstated.

I saw a thread on here that showed that the prize money in the Conference isn’t much worse than it is in the Europa. I’ve long thought we might prefer to come 3rd in our Europa group as we’d have more chance of an extended European run.

Then again, it’s not the end of the world being knocked out of Europe this season. The importance of winning the league can’t be overstated.
I imagine there’s a significant difference in TV money though.

Prize money is actually pretty similar, would much rather see us carry on in the Europa but financially it could maybe be more rewarding in the conference. However it’s not as easy as some say and a bad draw could see us out

Conference:
  • Knockout round play-offs: €300,000
  • Round of 16: €600,000
  • Quarter-final: €1,000,000
  • Semi-final: €2,000,000
  • Runner-up: €3,000,000
  • Champion: €5,000,000

Europa:

• Knockout round play-offs: €500,000
  • Round of 16: €1,200,000
  • Quarter-final: €1,800,000
  • Semi-final: €2,800,000
  • Runner-up: €4,600,000
  • Champion: €8,600,000
So £4m to get to semi of conference and same for quarter of EL and extra home game with conference. I’d say chances of getting £4m much higher in conference. Also winning even conference would bring more prestige than getting KOd the EL.

My son just told me if we finish 2nd in the group then we go to a play off against a 3rd place team in the Champions league with the winner going into the EL knockout stages and the loser going out of Europe altogether.

At the same time if we finish 3rd in the group then we go into the knockout stages of the conference league.

Surely that's not right?
1st place skips the next knockout round,
2nd qualifies for the next knockout round
3rd goes into the first knockout round for conference
4th goes to Brondby

Putting the official prize money aside the gate receipts and additional TV revenue would be substantial too.

Can't help but feel the set up rewarding failure though i.e 3rd place getting an easier route to progress.

How does it effect the co-efficient, I'm assuming you get less points per Conerence game than the Europa?

Prize money is actually pretty similar, would much rather see us carry on in the Europa but financially it could maybe be more rewarding in the conference. However it’s not as easy as some say and a bad draw could see us out

Conference:
  • Knockout round play-offs: €300,000
  • Round of 16: €600,000
  • Quarter-final: €1,000,000
  • Semi-final: €2,000,000
  • Runner-up: €3,000,000
  • Champion: €5,000,000

Europa:

• Knockout round play-offs: €500,000
  • Round of 16: €1,200,000
  • Quarter-final: €1,800,000
  • Semi-final: €2,800,000
  • Runner-up: €4,600,000
  • Champion: €8,600,000
Aye, teams like Spurs no Roma in that competition

I’d happily finish second in our group then get a glamour tie against Barca in the play off round. If we win then brilliant but if we don’t then we can concentrate on doing the treble.

Only 16 teams in each first knockout round in both competitons. 8 winners join the 8 group winners then in the last 16.
Correct - which is why they've gone for knockout round, there are still 24 teams in the tournament but they are not all playing in that round!

It’s not, I don’t know why Rangers fans would turn their nose up at any European football as far into a tournament as we could go. I’d love to win it, but have a look at some of the teams and you’d see that’s not a joke any more to do.

As for money, gate receipts etc are factored in and the question is… at what point would a potentially longer Conference knockout run be better (other than the obvious coefficient boost) financially against a very difficult Europa League knockout run.
Going from topping our Europa table to competing in this diddy tournament for the dregs of Europe would be quite spectacular regression.

Going from topping our Europa table to competing in this diddy tournament for the dregs of Europe would be quite spectacular regression.
we were punching above our weight in previous years given the squad we had, hence why we and Gerrard were praised so much for it and rihgtly so. Plenty of decent teams in that conference league BEFORE the europa league teams drop into it.

Gent, Roma, Feynoord, Rennes, Spurs, Basel, Slavia Prague to name a few.

Dregs of Europe ? Hardly.

Granted the group stage of the conference is designed to guarantee spots for a few European minnows from smaller countries but we won’t be playing in that if we finish 3rd.

As pointed out there’s some big teams like Roma, Spurs and Feyenoord currently competing in it and some more Europa league sides to be added. If the el is to finish as is sides like PSV Eindhoven, Marseille, Fenerbahce, Leicester etc will he competing in the conference knockouts.

Would certainly be a far bigger accomplishment to win the conference league than the league cup or Scottish cup.

we were punching above our weight in previous years given the squad we had, hence why we and Gerrard were praised so much for it and rihgtly so. Plenty of decent teams in that conference league BEFORE the europa league teams drop into it.

Gent, Roma, Feynoord, Rennes, Spurs, Basel, Slavia Prague to name a few.
How were we punching above our weight? The last 16 is a pretty reasonable target for a club of our size. This season I’d have been looking for us to improve on that, not do considerably worse.

Although conference isn’t where we want to be I’d like to see the financials for each tournamemt

Like would it be more financially better to go a round or two further in the conference than finish 2nd and be put out by a 3rd placed team (assuming we would)

Obviously we want to finish as high as we can and accept nothing less
Good luck trying to shift tickets for Qarabag or Jablonec

How were we punching above our weight? The last 16 is a pretty reasonable target for a club of our size. This season I’d have been looking for us to improve on that, not do considerably worse.
cos we were bottom seeds, the teams in our groups were ranked higher, had bigger budgets, settled teams more experience in europe but we outperformed them.

We were not expected to get to the group stages let alone qualify from them

I couldn’t care less who we play as long as we win games. I’d actually rather play two or more teams we’ve a more realistic chance of beating rather than one “name” that we are underdogs to beat. The reason the ECL is automatic next year barring fluke results is the coefficient and I couldn’t care less how we do it, but we need to maintain it.

Back