Whats this xG stat all about?

Same. I reckon one of the early season tables I took the piss out of will have turned out pretty accurate. Will post if I find one and hold my hands up.
They did.

Rangers Report have been spot on the past 2 years about who will win the league from pretty early doors and have been slaughtered for it.

Bookies use it.

They did.

Rangers Report have been spot on the past 2 years about who will win the league from pretty early doors and have been slaughtered for it.

Bookies use it.

Two years in a row now they've been spot on.

I think it's also been fairly clear from watching us this season - we beat Hibs, Livvy and Aberdeen 1-0 this season but created so few chances and had to rely on scrappy goals to get us out of jail. That kind of performance isn't tenable over the course of the season, and so it proved.

It's a good stat, one among many, that all teams will be using in their performance analysis. Like all stats though it's not meant to be looked at on the basis of a single game where variance can play a part, it's over the longer term that it is useful.

They did.

Bookies use it.
There were folk who were raging on the thread about their report earlier in the season. Turned out to be correct again.

I don’t get why people are so against it. Basically trying to give a stat that is better to have one good chance than loads of speculative 30 yard shots

It’s not perfect but it’s useful.

I know what you're saying but it's less about the person taking the shot and more about the quality of chances that a team are creating.

If a team is creating a high xG score but the chances are falling to the wrong players, then that's probably indicative of something - players in the wrong positions, poor choices, etc. Similarly, if a team is overperforming on xG it maybe points towards players who are exceptionally good or a team who can't maintain their goal scoring. In short, it's used to analyse other things.

Like any other statistic, you need other numbers to make sense of it. No one looks at total number of shots or possession and thinks of it as being a definitive statistic. Expected goals is the same.

Exactly, the quality of the individual taking the shot argument doesn't hold up to invalidate xG.

The analysts have looked to see if any individual consistently outperforms their individual xG. Over a decade of stats, there was only one player who did, Messi.

It's quite funny that some people think that's something professional analysts wouldn't investigate before progressing with the metric.

Some specky wee analyst advising the manager the team shouldn’t try shooting from distance but should tippy-tappy the ball into the net because that has a better xG.

Whether people think it's pish or not all the top clubs operate using data analysts to drive signings and influence tactics (including ours). It works.

That doesn't mean you have to like it, it's just that this is the direction football is going in and it's only going to become more ingrained in the sport at every level over time.

Watch the film 'moneyball' to see how data influenced another sport.

I’m doing a course in analytics and data at the moment and xG is covered. It really does help get a better picture of the game but it obviously shouldn’t be the be all and end all. Like all stats is just a guide and isn’t to replace your eyes.

You can also use xA as a guide for players like Kent, Hagi and Aribo who aren’t out and out strikers but can be judged on the quality of chances they create rather than simply assists.

One bit of data I seen recently was Messi’s sprint data. Followed him through a game and showed at what points he would break in to a sprint, jog etc. One interesting thing is that most of the time he received the ball he was standing completely still because his movement was already good enough to get him in the correct position unmarked.

It’s a good useful stat for measuring out how teams will do for the season. Rangers Review guys have been putting out the Xg league table and shows that Celtic should’ve been top. As the season has played out that has came to fruition. Their tables have been correct for every season that I can remember following.

There can be outlier individual games were teams will have a lower Xg and will win the game, that’s why it’s a good measure of a block of games at a time.

New age statto pish.

I don't need a spreadsheet to tell me when someone should have scored a chance.

That's not the point of it. It's as much for the other players around them. I remember Daniel Candeias' expected assists was a fair bit higher than his actual assists. It's not his fault that the strikers didn't finish the chances that he created.

If a winger has 1 assist, but 20 expected assists, then you know it's the striker, not the winger that's the problem. Likewise if the expected goals was 5, and you ended up drawing 0-0, you probably want to sign the opposition keeper.

Back