When do the players find out the team?

Rangers_2001

Official Ticketer
Saw a WhatsApp with their supposed team (I know I know) and it got me wondering, when do the players get told whose starting and whose not?

I always thought it was on the day of the game but maybe it’s the day before these days?

Assume we work on various tactics etc during the week and use various players for various things (for example rotating the centre halves involved in a defensive drill) so it’s maybe not obvious whose going to start at that point. Just wondering really.

Saw a WhatsApp with their supposed team (I know I know) and it got me wondering, when do the players get told whose starting and whose not?

I always thought it was on the day of the game but maybe it’s the day before these days?

Assume we work on various tactics etc during the week and use various players for various things (for example rotating the centre halves involved in a defensive drill) so it’s maybe not obvious whose going to start at that point. Just wondering really.
Their team has been leaked regularly this season. Seen a few Dhims moaning about it.

What did you see leaked by the way?

Celtic starting without a striker?

The club I played with had a very light training session on a Saturday morning and then go to a local hotel for a light lunch. Just before the lunch the boss would stand up and address the squad. His first words were always X ,X, andX, you can all have chips. It was then you knew you weren't getting stripped. Only 2 subs in them days. :D:eek:

Sorry, should have said. Just assumed it was in another thread somewhere.

Barkas

Ajer
Duffy
Julian

Frimpong
Brown
Mcfregor
Laxhalt

Ntcham

Griffiths
Ajeti
The team I'd have guessed other than Griffiths and Laxalt. Thought he might have went with the Southampton player behind the striker. Big risk chucking that Laxalt straight in.

Depends on the manager.

I worked with Terry Butcher before and he liked to talk through things the day before, tactics board out etc.

He was always big on individual conversations with players for key battles.

I know other managers who are on the day guys though. You ask a player though and they want to know before the day.

The team I'd have guessed other than Griffiths and Laxalt. Thought he might have went with the Southampton player behind the striker. Big risk chucking that Laxalt straight in.
It was just in a WhatsApp so could be rubbish. Was just curious as to when the players generally find out.

I hope that is there team
If christie and edouard are out that is the team id expect from them, maybe with the exception that taylor would start ahead of laxalt.
Still a team that could cause us bother though so need to be mentally on it but a team we should not fear.

Barkas

Ajer
Duffy
Julian

Frimpong
Brown
Mcfregor
Laxhalt

Ntcham

Griffiths
Ajeti
No Elyounoussi (spelling)? What’s up with him? Been a regular starter for them I think. I’d see him starting ahead of Griffiths unless injured.

I would imagine the squad would be named the day before and then the final starting 11 named 3-4 hours before the match

I would imagine the squad would be named the day before and then the final starting 11 named 3-4 hours before the match
Teams are generally given the day before, Halliday (I think) said this. It’s so the starting players have a day to get mentally prepared and the subs can mentally prepare for their role.

Generally the day before but some managers do it last minute. Was it England under Capello where it all kicked off because he named his team an hour or two before the game?

The answer is, it depends.

Not all managers will reveal the starting team the day before although that is the norm. Usually the team will do shape the day before the game and the starting team are those who form the "shape" in training.

Barkas

Ajer
Duffy
Julian

Frimpong
Brown
Mcfregor
Laxhalt

Ntcham

Griffiths
Ajeti

Just me that hope Griffith's starts?

Hardly match fit and has scored the grand total of TWO league goals against us and ZERO in the last three years.

I don’t want him playing at all.

Yeah he may not be fit but he’s a goal threat
I would agree, I’ve got more PTSD and worry from him than any of their strikers. The other ones pretty much score within the 18 yard, that ladies front bottom can (perhaps could) score from anywhere.

Their team for the League cup final was on here the morning of the day before and was ridiculed as nonsense but it was spot on

I would think Taylor would start, and the winger from Southampton whose name I cant spell.

If that is the team, clearly Ntcham playing in the 10 to try sit on Davis to try stop him dictating the game.

I'm still not convinced they will even go 3 at the back tomorrow. Hope they do but think they will go with a 4 like they normally do against us.

Nonsense.,.what happens then if Christie gets the go ahead tomorrow
What happens if he doesn’t.....

Even then that’s an entirely different circumstance from general practice.

If Christie was able to play I strongly suspect Lennon would have known by now.

If he finds out at 11AM tomorrow then he will be making amendments he’d rather not, or Christie will be on the bench.

He’s not leaving his team selection till the day of the game based on one player. Majority of this thread is pretty much saying the same thing.

So hardly “nonsense”.

Last edited:
SG

SG names the starting team the day before and we do 'shaping' to ensure all players in squad understand each of their roles.

Only on 1 occassion has he kept starting 11 for day of game and it was communicated early morning after 2 injury assessments.

We did have one manager not so long ago who announced team 2 days in advance which was rather unusual for a few reasons.

The Celtic team has almost always leaked early for these games in the past few years. No idea why.

Gerrard stopped telling the squad the team until the day of the game because of how often it was being leaked. As many have said, it's very much dependent upon the manager.

But players can tend to work it out in training or during the tactical sessions even if they're not told early.

Well I've been told the team is

Ajer welsh and duffy

Laxalt and ping-pong wing backs

Brown ntcham McGregor middle

Elyounassi and klimala up top

Back