When is a good age to take your lad (or lassie) to Ibrox for the first time?

Toaster

Another poster had mentioned how expensive a day out to Ibrox with the family is for him which got me thinking.

My wife is about to give birth to our first child (a wee boy) in the next couple of weeks. I am of course hoping to take him to Ibrox, but unsure what the best age would be?

Will taking them too early sicken them and risk turning them against going to the football if they are being dragged along?

What are the experience of posters with themselves and also their own children? I had my first season ticket aged 8, but I think I was taken to games before then and didn't enjoy it, even going as far as to complain to my dad when people stood up to celebrate a goal because I couldn't see!

I was 7 when I was first took.

I’ve known people to take their kids around 4/5 but it’s been wasted on them to Be honest

I took my 5 year old to the Motherwell game a few months ago. He actually sat a lot better than I thought he would. Shat his pants when the big gun went off though.

Best time is when they ask to go.

I took my daughter to an under 21 game against Newcastle when she was 4. She was having a great time waving at Broxi and family then went in a huff at kickoff so I had to spend most of the game reading her a Disney Princess annual.

She doesn't really like football now but still prefers Rangers to anyone else at least.

Rangers and Ibrox is never wasted on anyone

You know what I mean mate, once the kids got in and we’re mesmerised by the whole stadium they started getting restless and by half time going on about being cold and wanting to leave. I think around the 7/8 Mark is perfect for them to totally enjoy it and remember it

Took mine when we were presented the trophy against Berwick Rangers. She’d have been 5.

Best time is when they ask to go.

I took my daughter to an under 21 game against Newcastle when she was 4. She was having a great time waving at Broxi and family then went in a huff at kickoff so I had to spend most of the game reading her a Disney Princess annual.

She doesn't really like football now but still prefers Rangers to anyone else at least.
I was thinking about bringing the kids up for their first game against Livingston. They’re 5 & 8 and have been asking to go.

chances of getting 3 tickets for the family stand?

I went at 4/5 and spent my time swinging on on a crush barrier

I was 10 before I really got into the whole thing.

I've got 3 boys all 4 and under. Thinking about future cost is scary !! To be honest I reckon it will be at least another couple of years before I take my oldest. I don't think he'd have the patience to sit through a match at the moment.

I started taking my son when he was 3, my wife worked at weekends so it was natural he tagged along with me, he used to have about 2 toilet visits per half :)) he’s now 21 with a ST of his own.

Another poster had mentioned how expensive a day out to Ibrox with the family is for him which got me thinking.

My wife is about to give birth to our first child (a wee boy) in the next couple of weeks. I am of course hoping to take him to Ibrox, but unsure what the best age would be?

Will taking them too early sicken them and risk turning them against going to the football if they are being dragged along?

What are the experience of posters with themselves and also their own children? I had my first season ticket aged 8, but I think I was taken to games before then and didn't enjoy it, even going as far as to complain to my dad when people stood up to celebrate a goal because I couldn't see!

19 means they can buy you a pint in the Louden

Depends on the kid.

Took mine at 5 and he loved it.

Been a regular since he was 7 and hates missing a game.

You know what I mean mate, once the kids got in and we’re mesmerised by the whole stadium they started getting restless and by half time going on about being cold and wanting to leave. I think around the 7/8 Mark is perfect for them to totally enjoy it and remember it
I do know what you mean bud , I’m pulling your leg, took my both my boys at 6 and 4 , young lad was a bit restless but neither of them wants to miss a game now , at home away or in Europe.
A happy dad but a skint dad!!

I'd say when they ask to go with you. If they haven't shown interest then you'll spend the match trying to amuse them yourself. A legends game would be a good start so they can hopefully see plenty goals.

I took my oldest to the Oxford game pre season, he was 4 and hated it, had to leave at HT. He then wanted to go again so took him to the Stranraer game and loved it. So to answer your question I’ve not got a clue mate

About 7/8 is a good age I think. Old enough to be interested and sit through it. Any younger they get bored and restless, wee boy behind me once just kicked my seat all game!!

My daughter was 5 when I first took her but wasn't till she was 8 that she started asking to go. She prefers being at the games than watching on tv

My daughter is 10. Shes not really into football but wants to go to a game. Ill hopefully get her along to 1 this season.

i was 11 when i first went to the football,and i started taking my son with me this season who is now 11

My wee boy is 2 n a half, obviously nowhere near time to take him along yet but I'll probably just wait until he asks me. Like u mentioned I would be worried of putting him off if he was forced along

Took my son to first his game game ages 5. We went to a dozen games the first season & that’s us had season tickets for the last two seasons. Very rarely do me miss a game he loves it!

It depends on the game and their attention span. If they get restless then it spoils the game for you and puts them off. Took my daughter at 8, brought the IPad but luckily didn't need it. Plenty of goals / excitement and they get hooked. Cold, boring games are a struggle.

At this time of year 17 but in the summertime/ autumn 5.

Mum took me to the main stand a week before I was born way back in 1958.

Obviously don't have a memory about it, but hey I was there.
Been told when she got home the excitement got the better of me and her waters broke.
Rottenrow hospital the following couple of days and I decided it was time to make my appearance . :))
Dad took me from three years and upwards, so first game at Ibrox was back in 1961.
You are born a Rangers supporter.

Both of mine were five. I thought the oldest was going to be part of the Subway Loyal as he got bored with 15 min to go the first couple of times. The youngest first game was pre season v Bury and he loved it. Thought he might get tired but never even fell asleep in the car on the way home as he was playing with his new scarf.

7/8 for mine. Old enough to have a genuine interest and knew who his favourite players were. He enjoyed the whole spetacle of Ibrox and the game. Did get a bit restless towards the end but probably because we were losing :rolleyes:

I am in the same boat, thought I might take my 5 month old at the time to the Kilmarnock game at Christmas when I was over. Seriously though I am thinking he won’t get to one until he’s like 4-5 years old

My boy was five when he got his first season ticket. Started him off going to see games in lower leagues then a few at Ibrox.

I took my son when he was 4 & he remembers it. He will be 15 in March & a Season Ticket holder in the Broomloan Rear.

Took my son when he was 5,day didn't start well as i had a raging argument with a steward at turnstyle for taking his carton of juice of him,kind of ruined the big day to be honest but hes 17 now and thankfully it didnt put him off

I went to my first ever match when I was around 6... and I honestly can still remember how amazing the atmosphere was then. One of my first proper memories and one il have forever :)

I went when I was 3 in 1976 and the first game I can remember is the 78 cup final.

I took my son to the Middlesbrough 0-0 pre season friendly in 2005 or 2006, and he was bored and not interested, I was ready to give up and decided the last try would be the Chelsea pre season friendly when novo scored and he got the bug and has been a season ticket holder for the last 9 years

When they ask to go!
My uncle took me and my cousin aged 5 and we soon preferred to go swimming instead on a Saturday, until we were about 8 or 9. Depends on the kid.

Only when they are ready and show an interest, forcing them to go when they aren't isn't really fair on them.

Oldest wee boy is 4 and desperate to take him but think it's too early. Took him to the local juniors game and he loved it but I would be lieing if I said it kept his attention the full 90 mins. Probably leave it until he asks.

My sons first match was when he was 4 years old. the actual football match was irrelevant to him but he loved the day , getting the train , wearing his scarf , waving a flag etc. 14 years later he comes to every game with me that he can if he’s not playing in a match for his club.

I took my four year old this season after he started asking to go to the "big crowd".

He was bored out his face after 25 minutes. And asked for a pee three times. If I hadn't loaded my phone with cartoons, we'd have had to leave at half time.

I'd say 6. I went that age and I think it works out best for concentration and lack of pain in the arsedness

I am the same. I have a boy who is nearly 4 and everytime anybody scores no matter who it is shouts "get in there rangers", he does also do it randomly as well when something goes his way so not entirely sure he fully gets it. I considered taking him to one of the friendlies at start of season but want gim to go have the bug straight away. Hopefully not wishful think. I will probably wait till pre season at least.

Back