When Mark Warburton and Rangers said plastic pitches were dangerous.

GEODGC

Official Ticketer
All this talk over the last few days of plastic pitches and getting them banned got me thinking of that time our manager said they were shit. Waghorn had just been injured and he voiced his concerns about plastic pitches and called for them to be banned. His opinion was shouted down by many in the Scottish game and in the press, the then Celtic manger Ronnie Deila actually came out and said he would be happy for Celtic Park to have a plastic pitch when asked about Mark Warburtons opinion. Changed days eh? You would be forgiven for thinking that these guys just went against what the Rangers manager thought at the time.

Remember it well. The tabloids were rolling out all sorts of to discredit Warbuton. Rugby players the lot.

10 / 1 Kilmarnock ( btts ) on Ladbrokes - Not a bad wee bet ; ( I know that there will be better odds on-line ) .

Talking of Warburton, and I may be off the mark here and disagreed by many, but does he deserve some credit for today’s success?

IIRC it was Warburton who started the changes at Auchenhowie and began to change our attitude towards player development. Was it not him who started the thinking that all levels of the club, from the youth squad to the 1st team, play the same system allowing young players to make the step up that much easier.

I’m getting old and maybe my memory is playing tricks but despite his many flaws I recall it was Warburton who started paying attention to the reserve and youth squads that were largely ignored before his reign

Talking of Warburton, and I may be off the mark here and disagreed by many, but does he deserve some credit for today’s success?

IIRC it was Warburton who started the changes at Auchenhowie and began to change our attitude towards player development. Was it not him who started the thinking that all levels of the club, from the youth squad to the 1st team, play the same system allowing young players to make the step up that much easier.

I’m getting old and maybe my memory is playing tricks but despite his many flaws I recall it was Warburton who started paying attention to the reserve and youth squads that were largely ignored before his reign

Warburton played his part mate. He also got one of the all time wins against them. He couldn't continue his success In the top league but doesn't deserve the disrespect he gets.
Was during his tenure that the likes of Mulholland were hired Im sure, so he done his bit for the future also.

All this talk over the last few days of plastic pitches and getting them banned got me thinking of that time our manager said they were shit. Waghorn had just been injured and he voiced his concerns about plastic pitches and called for them to be banned. His opinion was shouted down by many in the Scottish game and in the press, the then Celtic manger Ronnie Deila actually came out and said he would be happy for Celtic Park to have a plastic pitch when asked about Mark Warburtons opinion. Changed days eh? You would be forgiven for thinking that these guys just went against what the Rangers manager thought at the time.

Nothing will change in Scottish football regarding plastic pitches until a Celtic player gets ruled out for a season due to them.

It goes back much further than that. Alex McLeish complained about Dunfermline's plastic pitch and was told he was making excuses.

Its a shame there's no one at Ibrox keeping records of the bias, double standards and lies. This would stop our enemies from denying their bigotry.

When we eventually win 55, everybody involved since 2012 will be responsible in some way.

McCoist for holding us together over that summer and getting us a team on the park and bringing us up to the championship. Lee Wallace, Lee McCulloch, Andy Little and Neil Alexander for giving us some continuity with the playing squad.

Stuart McCall for his efforts when duty called.

Mark Warburton came in and blew the championship away in his first few months and brought us in our current captain. He also gave the first real reminder to Scottish football that we are still here and never going anywhere, despite their intentions

Pedro tried, and brought us in Ryan Jack, Daniel Candeias and Alfredo Morelos. They are 3 of our most important players this season. If Morelos doesnt win the league with us then the astronomical profit we will make on him will go some way to ensuring we do win it in the future.

Then we have Stevie Gerrard and the current crop.

Of course cant fail to mention Dave King, Paul Murray, Douglas Park, John Gilligan and the rest who did all they could to save our club. Not to mention John Brown, and the late Sandy Jardine who never gave up in their quest to rally the support.

Everybody who had good intentions for our club over the last 7 years can feel a sense of responsibilty for our future success, regardless how large or small their contribution may have been. All part of the process of getting back to where we undoubtedly belong.

Keevins & Co slated him.

A couple of months later the scum manager said the same thing.

Keevins & Co done a 180 on it and hailed him as a hero.

slightly off topic, but i remember the scotish media scum criticising rangers for advertising alcohol on their shirts ( mcewans lager)
a year or so later dundee united had belhaven on theirs.
silence

Back