When Mojo fell out with Souness

I thought they were all on about 5k a week around the same time. I recall hearing in the press at the time, that the pre-Souness players ( Wallace / Greig ) had missed out on the 'big money', now being earned by the Souness era players.

The press really went for him didn’t they?

Funnily enough, I remember being all for punting him that summer - I’d gone very Struthian over the previous 12 months and would have probably been appalled at Rangers signing such a wee ned if it had happened in July 1990 rather than 1989.
To be fair to Johnston, he buckled down over the next season and played well for most of it, albeit the goals dried up from about February from memory.

MoJo was mental on the tiles.

Was reading some hooligan book when he was at Everton and he somehow got into a party during pre season in some of the fans hotel room and apparently swallowed a lump of hash and turned a proper whitey.

And to think, from that and success in the form of a cup during that period of time to the Well Society and being unable to fill the corner at Ibrox. Good grief have they went swirling down the drain…

The Sunday Mail did an article at the time and Rangers players were paying more in tax than Celtic players were getting at the top line.

I used to work with a Scumtic fan who was told me Peter Grant was on £300 a week while at them :oops:

Derek Ferguson and Iain Durrant.
Durrant put in a transfer request that Souness accepted but had no intention of following through with.

I can remember Mo playing with the youth team around Ayrshire when he had been cast to the youth team for his fall out with Souness. The reserves and youths played home games at Ardrossan Winton park as they had flood lights.

So you never celebrated any goals he scored then I take it?
None and that is true. I never doubted his ability and would never deny that as a player he gave us another dimension, but he was and is a caaant.
And before you ask I was Govan Front, in line with penalty box where he scored v them and did not even stand up.

I notice that in 1990, we had published wages for 21 players. I wish we only had 21 players now in 1st team pool, our financial position might not be so precarious.

What other players did Sounesss get into a ding-dong with? Butcher? McCoist?
Not a ding-song as such but he tried to replace Stuart Munro from 1986 until 1991, Munro somehow seeing off Brown, Bartram, Cowan & Vinnicombe. Speculation about Pearce and others throughout the period.

Souness leaves in April 1991 and within a few weeks Smith has brought in Robertson and sold Munro.

None and that is true. I never doubted his ability and would never deny that as a player he gave us another dimension, but he was and is a caaant.
And before you ask I was Govan Front, in line with penalty box where he scored v them and did not even stand up.
I don’t know how anyone who claims to be a Rangers fan wouldn’t celebrate a goal, especially against Celtic, because of who scored it.

Imagine professing to be a Rangers fan, you are in our stadium and you dont celebrate when the team you support scores a late winner vs your bitter rivals.

Somewhere along the line there you have lost sight of what supporting a team actually entails and it becomes all about you.

Last edited:
Paraphrasing a bit here, but MoJo on Rangers at half time, when we went on to beat the filth in the Scottish cup semi final in the Warburton era. “Rangers look like Barcelona out there”.

Very interesting part to read there in the section discussing the managers wages etc.

They state that Souness, who was on £230k + a year, he owned 13% of the holding company that operated Rangers.

Yes, that’s correct. The holding company that operated Rangers.

Funny how that was printed way back then, but when it’s stated nowadays it’s seemingly something that doesn’t exist in the minds of the rattler moonhowlers.

Are you for real? When Neil McCann scored v them in 1999 at the piggery did you celebrate that goal

You are the staunchest Rangers fan I've ever known.Well done you.

Back