When will Rangers open new club shops?

Nacho Novo

You would think there must be on-going plans from the board to open up new club shops in the busiest areas of the UK where high numbers of Rangers supporters live.

One in the City Centre (ideally Argyle Street as its the busiest street in Glasgow and right next to Central Station catching the eye of everyone walking in and out) because there is a FAR more likely chance you'd be in the town heading to work or going for drinks or out for meal etc as thats where everything is, you would only go to Ibrox to watch Rangers play, there's nothing in Govan other than that. The club would make so much more money 6/7 days of the week with fans just walking by the club shop, the other remaining day would be Rangers fans using the Megastore at Ibrox on matchdays which is quite understandable, then again fans use the subway at St Enoch's and Buchanan Street to go to/back from Ibrox so keeping a club shops open in town on matchdays would be a smart idea rather than closing early on a Saturday.

One inside Glasgow Airport for families where they can pop in and buy merchandise before flying out abroad.

One in Belfast city centre simply because of the large number of Rangers supporters in Northern Ireland (perhaps in Belfast Airport too).

Other areas it might be worth opening a club shop where large numbers of Rangers supporters stay are Edinburgh, Falkirk, Ayr, Larkhall and London going by city demographics on Facebook.

The reality of it is Celtic have 9 club shops, we have 1. Its quite astonishing. Also led to believe their retailer is Fanatics International.

In 2013 Rangers launched 'Bear Huts' or 'Official Fan Stores' outside Ibrox on matchdays. Why not have say, five of these and once a month travel to a different city in Scotland to sell merchandise if the cost of running a club shop outside Glasgow is too high? Financially it makes sense to me. https://rangers.co.uk/news/club/bear-huts-are-back/

The Commercial Department should also be looking to build new rooms in the concourses for selling club merchandise like how Ladbrokes have and it works well because fans will always be in the one area, especially at half time with everyone going to buy pies and drinks, the merchandise stall would be right next to the food and drink kiosk. There should also be a number kiosks outside the stadium on matchdays selling merchandise, programmes and food and drink which would stop rogue traders making money, all money would then be going directly into the club.

Rangers retail deal with Sports Direct ends for good on 21 June 2018 so the board must surely have plans in place and on-going discussions for anything after that closing date.

The Rangers Megastore website has a shockingly bad standard of products on sale simply because we've been 'partners' with Sports Direct since 22 August 2012 when Charles Green basically signed Rangers Retail away to the devil himself, Fat Cashley. Time to fix things and cannot wait to see quality products on sale once again. Even the Megastore at Ibrox itself could be doing with a bit of sprucing up! https://www.rangersmegastore.com/

Things are starting to look a little better now with Rangers Retail, 32Red already confirmed as our shirt sponsor for next season, new kit manufacturer (hopefully Adidas as they are the biggest brand in football. If not them then Nike), no more Sports Direct after 21 June and will see us form a partnership with a new retailer (e.g. JD Sports, Kitbag or Greaves Sports) and plans to open new club shops hopefully being discussed as we speak. Rangers used to sell more kits than any other club in the UK, that shows that money won't be a problem to fund the running of these new shops and will once again see the legions of the Ibrox faithful proudly walking through Glasgow in our royal blue jerseys once again!

Last edited:
You would think there must be on-going plans from the board to open up new club shops in the busiest areas of the UK where high numbers of Rangers supporters live.

One in the City Centre (ideally Argyle Street as its the busiest street in Glasgow and right next to Central Station catching the eye of everyone walking in and out) because there is a FAR more likely chance you'd be in the town heading to work or going for drinks or out for meal etc as thats where everything is, you would only go to Ibrox to watch Rangers play, there's nothing in Govan other than that. The club would make so much more money 6/7 days of the week with fans just walking by the club shop, the other remaining day would be Rangers fans using the Megastore at Ibrox on matchdays which is quite understandable, then again fans use the subway at St Enoch's and Buchanan Street to go to/back from Ibrox so keeping a club shops open in town on matchdays would be a smart idea rather than closing early on a Saturday.

One inside Glasgow Airport for families where they can pop in and buy merchandise before flying out abroad.

One in Belfast city centre simply because of the large number of Rangers supporters in Northern Ireland (perhaps in Belfast Airport too).

Other areas it might be worth opening a club shop where large numbers of Rangers supporters stay are Edinburgh, Falkirk, Ayr, Larkhall and London going by city demographics on Facebook.

The reality of it is Celtic have 9 club shops, we have 1. Its quite astonishing. Also led to believe their retailer is Fanatics International.

Rangers retail deal with Sports Direct ends for good on 21 June 2018 so the board must surely have plans in place and on-going discussions for anything after that closing date.

The Rangers Megastore website has a shockingly bad standard of products on sale simply because we've been 'partners' with Sports Direct since 22 August 2012 when Charles Green basically signed Rangers Retail away to the devil himself, Fat Cashley. Time to fix things and cannot wait to see quality products on sale once again. Even the Megastore at Ibrox itself could be doing with a bit of sprucing up! https://www.rangersmegastore.com/

Things are starting to look a little better now with Rangers Retail, 32Red already confirmed as our shirt sponsor for next season, new kit manufacturer (hopefully Adidas as they are the biggest brand in football. If not them then Nike), no more Sports Direct after 21 June and will see us form a partnership with a new retailer (e.g. JD Sports, Kitbag or Greaves Sports) and plans to open new club shops hopefully being discussed as we speak. Rangers used to sell more kits than any other club in the UK, that shows that money won't be a problem to fund the running of these new shops and will once again see the legions of the Ibrox faithful proudly walking through Glasgow in our royal blue jerseys once again!
In this day and age when shops are closing on nearly every High Street in the country, we should not be opening any new shops but concentrate on developing the superstore and maximising on line sales.

When you see other well known high street brands struggling the likelihood of us opening shops is very slim imo and that is the correct decision in my view.

Online is the way to go with reduced overheads etc. Online partnering with someone like Argos or Amazon would make sense so that fulfilment of orders is outsourced at little cost as possible to the club.

Its 2018 retail is struggling across the board as soon as SD deal is done I will be hoping we invest in online channels and allow other brick and mortar retailers to be our physical presence by supplying them our goods to sell in store

The high street is absolutely dying - not saying there will never be demand or opportunity for a town centre club shop but I don't think it should be that high up in the list of priorities at the moment.

We are still in the process of getting the merchandising operation sorted after years of operating with one hand tied behind our back, let's get the building blocks in place first.

My three initial thoughts are

• do we need the physical presence? I think the airport is worth considering and maybe somewhere like Braehead. But as others have pointed out, plenty of other companies are struggling with this issue of physical shops vs online these days.
  • we need a much better range of quality products which people will actually buy. No point trying to sell some of the utter shit that's been on the shelves in the past few years.
  • myself and others have given the club's media / web teams pelters in recent weeks. I'd stand by that and say that our commercial / merchandising businesses really need to be fit for 2018 and not 1998 like they are at present. Its criminal how poor they are.
Good merchandise, professionally advertised and made available online, coupled to maybe a couple of carefully targeted sites plus a revamped megastore... would be a *start*

We would lose money at the airport

I think you're right mate.... but sometimes its worth a loss leading approach (I appreciate I'm carrying coals to Newcastle by saying that to you of all people!). Having a presence there might just be worth it in a wider context than anything we actually sell there. Up to the minute advertising of our upcoming games, tickets available on the spot etc... might help hook some folk in....?

Open 10 shops

10 rents

10 manager wages

5 staff per shop so 50 staff

Distribution and logistics = more staff

Inventory manager accross the business

Not going to happen for very valid reasons and not sure id even entertain an airport shop. Only bet is to be in concert with a sports store which makes the choice jd, or sports direct nationwide or in our manufacturers store whoever that may be.

And this isnt yet a criticism of the club as yet but they sure as hell need to get the finger out the arse and make online all singing and dancing when the chance arrives. It must be successful and user friendly with a selection for everyone.

I think you're right mate.... but sometimes its worth a loss leading approach (I appreciate I'm carrying coals to Newcastle by saying that to you of all people!). Having a presence there might just be worth it in a wider context than anything we actually sell there. Up to the minute advertising of our upcoming games, tickets available on the spot etc... might help hook some folk in....?

It wouldn't for a wide range of reasons, for a start 99% who arrive at the airport will never see it only on departure

I honestly don't think so,who waits to they get the airport before they buy their/kids tops for holiday.
How many times you actually see anyone with a celtic bag in the airport?

The world has changed and the online shoppers should be our main focus and priority (another aspect badly neglected since 2012). Part of me would like to see one in the Airport, but that's probably based on the fact it pisses me the %^*& off that the scum store is the first thing you see when going up the escalator.

I would hope/expect that with the new kits being released for next season, and the merchandise back in our own control, that the Megastore and the online site would be a million percent better this time around.
The amount of money this can generate is frightening, and should reflect well upon the club in general.
It will also be great to see our kit/tracksuits/jumpers/jackets etc re-appearing as this has been missing for a long, long while.

So how can Celtic afford 9 club shops and we can't afford 2? Seems a bit odd.

I think a shop in Glasgow City Centre, then Glasgow Airport then one in Belfast City Centre should be priority. Fans in Edinburgh, Falkirk, Ayr, Larkhall and London etc will just have to buy online!

Online has to be the way to go with highstreets dying before our eyes

Obviously keep the shop at the stadium but any others will lose money.

The high street is a busted flush, look at the amount of big companies who are losing money hand over fist with shops. On line is king, we need to get the marketing right, improve the quality of the product and build from there.

We should continue with the flagship store at the stadium but make the experience so much better

I think a shop in Glasgow City Centre, then Glasgow Airport then one in Belfast City Centre should be priority. Fans in Edinburgh, Falkirk, Ayr, Larkhall and London etc will just have to buy online!
Usually im open to opinion but facts are facts. Shops are loss makers and i dont care what celtc do. I need to walk past the filth shop twice daily in clydebank and it is always empty. Always. Ours would be the same.

City centre shops are a massive no no and if the club sanctioned one it would be an enormous waste of cash.

We had a shop in Falkirk think it lasted about 2 years

Celtic made a profit of £5.2m on merchandising last year.

Maybe some individual stores are loss making but overall it’s clear a very lucrative venture. I don’t think there’s any excuse for us not to do the same.

Do you know what arrangements Celtic have their shops? They may have measures in place to push all risks onto guys running the shop as a business.

I think the megastore, and online sales are the best option for Rangers. Opportunities with Amazon and ebay would be great if they can be negotiated.

Incidentally, adult 2017/18 Rangers kits are selling on ebay for £85 & £104 (long sleeve) !

We only need a big enough brand name with their Own outlets and online. Greaves sports for standing by us. Kitbag was cashley not sniffing around them at one point.

I hope who ever it is stops the fat rag retailer from selling our tops in slaves direct. Not one penny should that bastard ever see again from our merchandise.

Adidas did it with Chelsea and World Cup tops but am sure the fat lad has shares with them.

didas is not breaking new ground, with West Bromwich Albion and Sunderland both selling their replica kits only through the club shops. But Chelsea is a different matter. It is one of the biggest clubs in the country and the decision appears to have been made by Adidas, rather than the club.

I hope we at least get a major sponsor in Glasgow and open a shop at Glasgow airport.

Fukcing kills me going up the escalator to pass through security with that mhanky mobs shop right in my face.

Get it sorted Rangers.
Rental at the airport is horrendous.
Prices would need to reflect that.

The only store we should think about opening is one at the airport.

When rangers sold off the retail to jjb we had 25 shops, with a turnover of £7million and profits of £4 millions.. One of the shops was a franchise, which was doing rather well, this should be the way forward

Is there a diary card that comes around once a year about opening shops?

Shops produce fixed costs with variable income and more often than not loose money. The clamour to open a shop at Glasgow Airport always surprises as it is a sure fire way of burning cash.

The world has moved on with delivery channels changing. A shop at Ibrox makes sense but the line should be drawn there.

Online is the way forward. As said above, a quality online storefront that is easy on the eye and easy to navigate gives you access to the entire globe, all for the price of a few quid in hosting costs each month. Nothing compared to the set up, rents and staffing costs of stores that can only reach the people who are passing.

If anyone is able and willing to make the effort to go to a physical shop, then they could pop over to the megastore, which again, sign of the times, has plenty of parking. Opposed to the City Centres and High Streets that are designed to keep traffic away.

A high street clothing shop is a fast way to burn money these days given people’s changing buying habits to online , the argument is really on the advertising / presence value over & above that it presents to the club / growing fan base of having a Rangers Shop in centre of Glasgow to avoid giving the tims the free territory / tourist potential / impulse buying

Given the high number of empty retail spaces in Glasgow city centre it might be worth trialing for 6months or so (given I’m sure we can get decent lease prices given the current retail market?) but that is perhaps dependent on who the next kit / supply chain contract is with and Rangers section within existing sports stores that can be agreed on

The internet is our shop. Low costs and anybody can access it no matter where you are in the world.

Opening physical shops in the high street makes no sense, financially.

I honestly don't think so,who waits to they get the airport before they buy their/kids tops for holiday.
How many times you actually see anyone with a celtic bag in the airport?

I was meaning as much for tourists arriving in Glasgow mate, as opposed to bears heading off somewhere.

And sadly I've seen a few of those manky turd holders at the airport / on planes.

Even if there's only one, its still one more piece of advertising then our club is getting at that point.

Clearly I'm not privy to the rates at the airport, but it still strikes me that just having a presence there wouldn't be a bad thing. Even if there's not a huge amount of turnover from it, being there and maybe offering things like tickets there and then, or a discount code for the stadium tour and a meal in Argyll House after, that kind of thing.

"Welcome to Glasgow, whilst you're here perhaps you'd like to visit the home of the world's most successful football team, have a tour of the stadium and enjoy a first class meal... all only ten minutes from the airport.... we can offer you a special deal here and if you're in town at the weekend we have tickets for this week's match...."

Maybe a year's lease would be worth a go....??

Soon as it opened we would then have everyone moaning that it's costing us money.

Same with bringing back the Rangers News.

Had they not been pulled when we were going through the financial mess, they would have been on borrowed time anyway.

I’d say there’s definitely merit in having a store in Glasgow City centre.

However, as mentioned, our online presence needs the majority of investment.

I have worked in Marketing for 25 years, 10 years based in the retail sector with Curry's PC world, Next and John Lewis.

Absolutely spot on that Celtic's shops are loss making vanity project which are subsidised by online trade. They are simply a way of marketing the brand on the eye and nothing else.

If I was delivering a Marketing plan to the Board, I would advise against opening Stores with 73% of all retail outside of supermarket food/drink now being done online.

I would however agree with the pop up store proposal for kit launch and Xmas. Many retailer are struggling so much these days they are willing to let other business hire space within their Store. You may have noticed in some Tesco's Holland and Barrett have taken over a section of their Stores. I would recommended this method rather than opening a City or Airport Store. Airport Unit Rent is astronomical at Unit the size of broom cupboard at Luton recently went for £6995 Per anum plus Tax that would mean selling 1500 Tops just to cover the rent.

Until the Summer the website, and Megastore remains a Sports Direct enterprise, until the notice period expires shortly there is little the Club can do. Beyond the summer, a revamp of the Megastore combined with a new range of items which are appealing and less tat like SD produced will certainly go a long way. The online part is key. I would be urging the Club to create an Amazon Store for it's same day delivery Prime service, Ebay Store and develop a retail app. I would also be looking at stocking situation by ensuring plenty of stock is on hand at all times. And finally I would be offering % discount for Season Ticket holders like we once did in the 90's or reward points for retail spend which would allow fans to put towards upgrading their ticket to hospitality of cashing in at renewal.

Last edited:
Back