When you think of Teletext, what game comes to mind?

Anorthosis Famagusta 95 0 0

About 100 bears in a bar in Veronica's in Tenerife waiting for the final score to tip over to FT.
When it did the place errupted

Not a game but used to stick teletext on first thing in the morning and that's where I found out about two huge stories in particular.

1. Mo Johnston's signing.
2. "Gers bid £37m for Brazilian ace Ronaldo". One summer Saturday morning in 1997 when for a bit it looked like we might just sign the best player in the world.

First game that comes to mind is 5-1 vs Dundee Utd Aug '97.
My mate couldn't make the game, so was keeping up with the score on teletext.

When I got back, he said he thought teletext was broken because it said Negri scored every goal.

I had the internet from an early age so if I couldn't watch a game I'd use 'football vidiprinter' to keep up to date with the scores.

Copenhagen vs Rangers, 2-1 victory for us, 27th August 2003. I was staying at my gran's house for the week and she had no internet and council TV so I had to rely on teletext for the scores.

I remember refreshing the page time and time again and going mental when it showed Arveladze scoring right at the end to seal our place in the Champs League!

Two things come to mind, one was Day or2 after johansson broke his leg up sheep pen and we signed billy Dodds was checking it to see if was done , and the first super caley go balstic game at knew camp

Scum 2 Rangers 4

New Year game 1994

I didn't really know what teletext was in those days ( I was a wee kipper) and wanted to listen to it on the radio with my dad but we had to go visit family for new year and didn't have access to the radio so my dad asks if he could check the score on teletext and it read 3-0 at HT with Miko getting 2 if them.

I started to jump around in joy and couldn't wait to see the highlights on Sportscene that night :))

Helicopter Sunday. The amount of times I loaded that page to look at

McDonald '88
McDonald '90

:D
Same. Didn't watch any of the games that day. Was at the missus bit and she didn't have any sports channels. Heard the neighbours erupt and chucked it on to see 1-1. Thought, nah they bastards will score late. Always do.

Next door erupts again and I chuck the tele text back on and start jumping about like an eejit.

Scott McDonald is by far my favourite ever scum player.

Mo Johnston scoring the last minute winner at Ibrox,went to the stadium to try and get a ticket but no chance,headed back into town and watched it on teletext in the window of scottish power on sauchiehall street with about 40 other people,it went crazy when it flashed up Mo had scored.

Game on my 21st birthday v Hibs. I was trying to do every pub in town (16 in total) and was in the ninth or tenth watching the second half scores on teletext.
We were 3-1 up then 3-2 and my non football mates were giving it ooooh comebacks on then Super Ally scored to make it 4-2 with 5 minutes left. As we'd been watching the Sid the Sexist video the night before I started on the 4-2 chorus (reference to the 66 World Cup scoreline) all the way to the next pub, where it was 4-3.

Aberdeen 2 Rangers 2 1997

Incredulous that Andy Goram had scored an o.g. :rolleyes:

Always remember pestering my Pap to check the scores every 3 seconds as we spent a lot of Saturdays at my nans house. Happy memories.:)

A rather innocuous game. I don’t think it was an important game of note.

11th February 1989. At my grans house, No radio, too young to go to the games. So I’ve got teletext up on the telly.

I can’t remember when we scored exactly but I remember us being 1 up. I’m sure it was now after 16:45 so I’m expecting full time to show. It scrolls through the pages of results. Still 1 nil to us, scrolls through the pages again, still 1 nil to us.

Game must be over now. Then our page comes back on, 1-1 full time. WHAT!!!!!

It was such a farce of an own goal they showed it on the news at 6 that night.

Gutted.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=KZm_pDfLs-g

Losing 2-1 to Hearts in Advocaat’s first league game. Was 12 at the time and convinced we’d give them an absolute doing as well.

A game mid 90s against Motherwell* when Stuart McCall scored two in the last three minutes to equalise and then take the points.

*or possibly DUFC.

It was a game involving Romania and some mob.Depending what the result was,meant Scotland qualified for euros/world cup(shows you how long ago it was).every time the screen flickered ,you thought the score was going to change..ended up 0-0.:))

I watched helicopter sunday on teletext.I still remember the page refreshing to say Motherwell had equalised like it was yesterday.
Was still jumping around the room when I glanced over and saw it was 2-1.Had to phone a friend as by then I thought I was hallucinating:)

Would always listen to the radio with teletext on the telly.

Only game I can vividly remember solely using teletext for was 1-0 win v that lot around 1993 Durrant scored the winner .

I had the internet from an early age so if I couldn't watch a game I'd use 'football vidiprinter' to keep up to date with the scores.

Copenhagen vs Rangers, 2-1 victory for us, 27th August 2003. I was staying at my gran's house for the week and she had no internet and council TV so I had to rely on teletext for the scores.

I remember refreshing the page time and time again and going mental when it showed Arveladze scoring right at the end to seal our place in the Champs League!
I was in the sports bar near Trafalgar square with a mixture of Danish fans and rangers fans watching in the area with the game on.
They were giving it some when they scored(well just supporting their team really on hindsight :) ) when we scored at the end I had most of a pint in my hand which went mostly over them when I was celebrating which was not really accidental :)

Scum 2-4 Rangers
January 1st 1994.

More specifically seeing it read 3-0 to us. Sent away from dinner to check the score. I return to the table to proudly tell everyone the good news. My dad and granda look at the clock (about 3.30pm). I recieved a clip round the ear and told to stop telling lies. Stand my ground and mum goes to check for herself. She cheers once she sees the score - confirming I was right. Everyone happy.

Never did get an apology for that clip round the ear though.

This one......had a vision at the start of the week in a dream that I was in work and read 4-0 on teletext. All week was going to lump on it.....for one reason or another I didn’t.

Then in work teletext came up with the score

I was working in Ipswich so watched PSG V Rangers, absolute torture watching penalty shoot out on teletext.
Pretty sure Celtic got beaten by Valencia on pens the same night.

The first one that comes to mind was one day when I was round at my gran’s house, Saturday afternoon in January and an easy match for us. Decided to call up the scores on teletext at around 4:30 to see how many we’d knocked in, only to be confronted with:

Rangers 0 Hamilton 1

Went out to the car to listen to Radio Scotland (didn’t want my gran to see my reaction if the unthinkable happened) and listened to the remainder as the day darkened along with my mood. A happier memory a few months later when listening to the match at the sheepdome and seeing celtic 1 Falkirk 2 and realising that the draw would be enough for me to see us win a championship for the first time.

Alania Vladikavkaz 2 Rangers 7. We'd only won 3-1 at home and they had been 1-0 up so I wasn't all that confident of going there for a result.
Couldn't believe the goals kept coming.

I didn't watch Lovejoy either.

Dundee Utd 0-1 Rangers (Laudrup). As a wean checking teletex for the result that won us 9IAR.

Incredible to think a game that massive wasn't live on the tele.

Buying a chippy one night and two mhanks served in front of me, I was thinking they look pissed off given they were obviously at the game in the Scottish cup v ICT, straight in the house and checked teletext and there it was 1-3 :D

Helicopter Sunday. I was convinced the bheasts wouldn't screw it up so avoided all the scores. At teatime I saw a couple of kids going past my door wearing Rangers tops and smiling so, in this mostly pre Internet era, I switched on Teletext and cheered like, well, cheered like we'd won the league.

Scotland qualifying for France98, sure Super Ally came on as a sub and made 1-0 v Greece I think to take them the finals, was probably the last time I ever used or saw it

Remember waiting on us on about a 10 Team Acca for £400 odd quid, and I’m certain it was a Sunday evening game.
Anyway, Nach has scored and we were leading Dundee United 1-0. The game seemed to take forever to finish, and I just remember being devastated when it flashed up 1-1 FT, and Barry Robson has scored in 90 odd mins for them!
Probably my last ever memory of teletext actually. I think about midway through the helicopter Sunday season.
When did teletext actually stop?
I know there’s like a digi type version now, but the old black screen text I’ve honestly not seen since around then, so about 14-15 years ago!!

The Marseille friendly in summer of 92, we lost 2-1. I think it maybe was only the results they showed rather than live scores as it was a friendly?

Also the 1-1 draw v them at Ibrox at the start of 92 season, Durrant got the equaliser. Sitting in my grans willing the score to change each time the page came round :))

Helicopter Sunday.
Was loaded with the cold and had just been glancing at the score occasionally as felt like crap.
When I checked and it showed Macdonald had scored I let out such a roar that everyone in the living room jumped out their skin and wondered what the hell was going on.
Next thing I knew up it popped to show he had scored again. Once again I started to shout and jump about.
Quickly grabbed my jacket and bolted out to Ibrox.

Back