Where do we rank in the list of British football clubs

Man United are the biggest club in Britain, possibly the world.
We can do everything we can but we can't reach them now

Their fans monetised their support in the form of membership

People travelling to a city on a piss up isn’t actually that much help to Rangers, or supporting Rangers. I’m sure loads of the people had a lovely time though.

I know what you mean, I always look at membership numbers as a barometer. Bayern Munich getting 300k each year most paying 60 euros for example. Not as big a thing in Britain to be fair though as in some nations, being a member can carry more power for away tickets than holding a season ticket at some Clubs.

That’s true.

You need to look at ‘active’ support.

And Rangers have the two largest travelling supports in European footballing history. Manchester and Seville. And all within the last 16 years.

Case closed.
That's far a better case for the thread.

The 2nd team to English thing though? Complete nonsense.

Depends how we're judging and by what metrics. Over the course of the last 150 years, overall? We're somewhere in that top five. Probably were the biggest club from the 1920s right up to the 60s at least.

In 2024, with the world watching the Premier League, where all the money is? The biggest British clubs are all English.
Timing in football is everything

If european football existed under struth we could have multiple champions leagues. If murray had pushed the epl move in early 90s we could be out this backwater.

That lot accross the city got their timing lucky when they won the European cup. Esrly enough that any team could win it. By the time we had our 90s team it was already at the stage where we were being left behind

I disagree wholeheartedly

A club that boos anything to do with the British army / fallen heroes, supports Palestine and the IRA and lets not forget about their shameful past about child abuse
I agree with that as well, the two main cities and other places around the north west of England have that Irish diaspora with parts of the centre of Liverpool looking like Dublin now and Manchester too has a fair smattering of the Irish in and around it and there will be a certain few who are favourable to the filth in various other places down south wherever there’s people of Irish descent and mhutants who left Scotland and settled down there.

In general though, most people in England and Wales who take an interest in football prefer Rangers over that mob and there’s very healthy numbers who genuinely do like/love Rangers and have been to Rangers games, I’ve met plenty in my time..for some it’s lots of Rangers games. Many of course support their own teams, be it.. Birmingham, Stoke, Leeds, West Ham…any number of clubs tbf and many of those people tend to dislike the filth because they KNOW what the filth are all about.

The top British clubs? I think you would have to win the European Cup once to be considered really. Liverpool by a mile. Domestically we would be in the frame though.

It infuriates me that your average UK punter ranks them above us because they’ve won the European Cup.

We are streets ahead of them in every other metric.

We dwarf every team in Britain, and I’d argue Europe when it comes to an active support. No one can touch us in that sense.

Agree with this but arsenal are a long way back from the other 4 when it comes to insanely loyal fan bases. Case in point would be they year we took over the Villareal stadium in the last 16 and Arsenal didn’t even sell out their own allocation in the semi final the same year.
They're better than Liverpool and United fans. Less than 6% of Liverpool season ticket holders live in Liverpool, they are a tourist club with a fan base full of gloryhunters just like united.

Edit: *6k not 6%

Would Rangers and Celtic have the greatest number of supporters clubs worldwide?

It might be a cultural thing, but I never think of the big English football clubs having anywhere near as many.

Would Rangers and Celtic have the greatest number of supporters clubs worldwide?

It might be a cultural thing, but I never think of the big English football clubs having anywhere near as many.

Think Barcelona are miles clear on that front, got over 1200 registered around world.

Bayern Munich - over 3500:

With nigh on 300,000 members paying a fee yearly they smash anything in Britain.

That’s true.

You need to look at ‘active’ support.

And Rangers have the two largest travelling supports in European footballing history. Manchester and Seville. And all within the last 16 years.

Case closed.
There was folk who went to Manchester that would struggle to spell Rangers, never mind go to Ibrox. Going on the piss for a once in a lifetime jolly isn't a barometer of how big a football club is.

They're better than Liverpool and United fans. Less than 6% of Liverpool season ticket holders live in Liverpool, they are a tourist club with a fan base full of gloryhunters just like united.

Edit: *6k not 6%

Would help if more than 30k season tickets were available to be fair. Their ticketing model isn’t set by folk within the City, it’s the most profit based model I’ve seen.

Really depends on your interpretation. A dozen EPL clubs will have more supporters in Africa and Asia than we can ever dream of. But most of those supporters will never attend games, and tbh, after being at Man City vs Wolves last week (where a good 30% are Chinese tourists) I’m not sure I would want to.

Really depends on your interpretation. A dozen EPL clubs will have more supporters in Africa and Asia than we can ever dream of. But most of those supporters will never attend games, and tbh, after being at Man City vs Wolves last week (where a good 30% are Chinese tourists) I’m not sure I would want to.

Very much doubt there was 1000 Chinese tourists in there let alone around 13,000.

As a localised fan base we are as big as any team in Britain. If we played Man U in a 100k stadium, there would be bears in the away end!
As a global market we are not in the same league as Man U, Liverpool or Arsenal. Mainly due to the tv coverage all over the planet, where as we have to ask for bars in far off lands for our games, so that’s an uneven playing field, as is the money.
As a club we are a traditionally British football club, from the beginnings of the game. And that tradition leaves us with the feeling that we shouldn’t dive or cheat. Rangers are steeped in the true tradition of football and the ethos of sport.

Ask the arrogant English and they won't have us in the top 15. A Fulham supporter said to me that they were bigger than the old firm because they were in the championship. This is what we're up against in a British argument
Ive had this off many,newcastle,spurs and a few others i just laugh

We are massive obviously

But you still get those that are deluded that think if we were dropped in the EPL tomorrow we’d win it within a few years because the size of the fan base/club
We'd certainly give it a good go. With all the money we have and the stature of our club we would attract some top players. No reason why we couldn't push on and win it. Look at Man City and what money can do. Not saying within a few years but possibly within 5-10yrs.

We'd certainly give it a good go. With all the money we have and the stature of our club we would attract some top players. No reason why we couldn't push on and win it. Look at Man City and what money can do. Not saying within a few years but possibly within 5-10yrs.
Man United Chelsea to name just two.

Unlimited budgets and look.

All teams have the money yet more or less dominated by one.

Not just about buying players now

Man United Chelsea to name just two.

Unlimited budgets and look.

All teams have the money yet more or less dominated by one.

Not just about buying players now
I understand that all the teams have big budgets but I wouldn't say I'm being delusional in thinking that we could win it within 5 or 10yrs. Would take a while to find our feet down there but not beyond the realms of possibilitiy is it?.

Very much doubt there was 1000 Chinese tourists in there let alone around 13,000.

Go to a game. It’s full of Chinese. Probably helps that Manchester has a massive Chinatown - so no idea who’s a tourist or not obviously.

Go to a game. It’s full of Chinese. Probably helps that Manchester has a massive Chinatown - so no idea who’s a tourist or not obviously.

Got plenty of mates who are season ticket holders, just asked a few who laughed.

Liverpool and Man Utd in particular have immense followings overseas. All EPL clubs do to an extent now but Liverpool and Utd ones are huge. They are filling out any stadium they visit in almost anywhere in the world (hence these ridiculous world tours that they do).

The whole thing around English people having a second team and preferring us over them is a bit desperate and means nothing of course.

I don't think we've been run particularly well during my lifetime (I'm 36). Apart from the obvious EBTs and relegation, as a club we haven't done anything to make ourselves stand out.

We should have been at the forefront of youth development in this country when we were the dominant club and we just weren't. I remember the club talking about the Ajax model for years but it never really happened.

Sadly we're becoming less and less relevant outside of Scotland as time moves on. Current board have done a good thing with NEH but we should have been developing the area around our ground for the last 20 years and could have made it a great place.

Need to explain that one mate

I think he means Man City were Manchester's top club before Matt Busby brought Utd up after WW2.

Everton were Liverpool's top club till Bill Shankly awakened them. It's widely thought that the 1971 FA cup replay between the sides was the start of the seismic shift.

I don't think we've been run particularly well during my lifetime (I'm 36). Apart from the obvious EBTs and relegation, as a club we haven't done anything to make ourselves stand out.

We should have been at the forefront of youth development in this country when we were the dominant club and we just weren't. I remember the club talking about the Ajax model for years but it never really happened.

Sadly we're becoming less and less relevant outside of Scotland as time moves on. Current board have done a good thing with NEH but we should have been developing the area around our ground for the last 20 years and could have made it a great place.

Where I would disagree with you slightly is we don't have a council happy to help us regards developing the surrounding areas.

Whereas the filth had councillors only too happy to sell them three surrounding streets for one pence. I repeat, ONE penny.

Councillors that were also happy to destroy a listed building (which is apparently illegal) to help them.

That's what happens when you vote the filth minded into positions of power.

Wow, that's insane.

60 euros a year the membership at Bayern for an adult. Many won’t go to any matches each season, I’d class that as support over an English bloke in a boozer replying “Rangers” when asked who he supports north of the border.

60 euros a year the membership at Bayern for an adult. Many won’t go to any matches each season, I’d class that as support over an English bloke in a boozer replying “Rangers” when asked who he supports north of the border.
Aye true enough! German football is a class apart. They seem to hold their fans in something other than contempt.

Between the footballing bodies, politicians and police, the game in Scotland is a disgrace.

Got plenty of mates who are season ticket holders, just asked a few who laughed.
Well I’ve plenty who are season ticket holders who said you won’t believe the amount of Chinese fans when lending me a ticket..now what :D

I also live in Manchester so I know the amount of Chinese in the area is pretty impressive.

Well I’ve plenty who are season ticket holders who said you won’t believe the amount of Chinese fans when lending me a ticket..now what :D

I also live in Manchester so I know the amount of Chinese in the area is pretty impressive.

Not having 13,000 plus Chinese Tourists were at The Etihad for Man City v Wolves mate. Like I said wouldn't have it at 1,000 - they agreed. Could maybe believe 2.000 of Chinese origin but ain't having that 30% figure. Doubt you believe it yourself but fair do's if so.

We are huge in comparison to Vhermin FC.
Comparing Seville is the answer 150k versus 40k.

Anyone saying this is just making themselves look stupid. Just because you hate something doesn't change objective facts. Are we bigger than them? Probably, I certainly think so. Are we "huge in comparison to" them? No, that's just silly, no matter how much we dislike them.

I completely agree with the previous poster who said the big UK 5 are Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Rangers, Celtic. In which order can be debated till the cows come home, with probably at least some merit to every viewpoint/case made.

Tottenham? There’s even a debate to be had on Arsenal imo.

Any top 5 should include us and them.
Apparently Tottenham have a season ticket waiting list of 98,000 according to some reports. I have no Idea how accurate that is but apparently those on it can see what place they are.

Apparently Tottenham have a season ticket waiting list of 98,000 according to some reports. I have no Idea how accurate that is but apparently those on it can see what place they are.

Quite surprised to hear those numbers but is definitely truth in what you say about viewing your place:

If you go automatically on the waiting list you could argue numbers reported are a bit misleading.

Mate went in Feb just to do the Stadium, got a ticket by buying the membership. Thing is in March they went 50% on those memberships (valid till end of season), just makes me think there isn't vast demand for tickets there really, sure Man U stopped new memberships in March.

Quite surprised to hear those numbers but is definitely truth in what you say about viewing your place:

Mate went in Feb just to do the Stadium, got a ticket by buying the membership. Thing is in March they went 50% on those memberships (valid till end of season), just makes me think there isn't vast demand for tickets there really, sure Man U stopped new memberships in March.

Man U stopped memberships in January supposedly at over 400,000. The only membership available after that was to enable you to receive a ticket transferred from a season ticket holder. It didn't let you actually buy tickets.

I only know because our grandson wanted to see Man U and misses the game at Murrayfield as he is away. I took him to Old Trafford for the Burnley game but we had to get tickets from ticombo.

Our other grandson is a Tottenham fan so will have to take him there hence why I was looking into that.

Man U stopped memberships in January supposedly at over 400,000. The only membership available after that was to enable you to receive a ticket transferred from a season ticket holder. It didn't let you actually buy tickets.

I only know because our grandson wanted to see Man U and misses the game at Murrayfield as he is away. I took him to Old Trafford for the Burnley game but we had to get tickets from ticombo.

Our other grandson is a Tottenham fan so will have to take him there hence why I was looking into that.

Added a bit to my post mate.

That 98,000 could easy mean they have that many members in that category at Spurs couldn't it when you read this part:

Supporters who purchase a One Hotspur + membership are automatically assigned a place on the Season Ticket Waiting List.

Expect they all wouldn't want to actually buy one.

Added a bit to my post mate.

That 98,000 could easy mean they have that many members in that category at Spurs couldn't it when you read this part:

Supporters who purchase a One Hotspur + membership are automatically assigned a place on the Season Ticket Waiting List.

Expect they all wouldn't want to actually buy one.
That could be a bit ambiguous though because that is a selling point for that tier. The ordinary tier is just One Hotspur which is cheaper and will likely be the main one so not all members will be on the waiting list.

Buying Premiership tickets is a minefield as often you can't even see available tickets without a membership.

Back