Where do we rank in the list of British football clubs

The correct answer, as previously mentioned, is Man Utd, Liverpool, Rangers, Celtic, Arsenal, and probably in that order but that’s up for debate. It certainly doesn’t include Spurs.

In order to make a case for us to be amongst the elite the argument has to be concentrated on fan base.
On anything else we don't come close.
Wealth, global appeal, league we play in, value, expectation.
I'm afraid that outwith this parish winning the trophies we've won doesn't amount to much.
As Rangers supporters we should be very proud of what we are, rather than what we can never be.

Since the huge rise in the Internet and all social media platforms, Im sure more fans of English clubs have learned the truth between us and them and are choosing us more over them.
My mates are older Newcastle and Sunderland fans, and they know the score. They can't understand any of their younger support preferring them to us, but then I've drilled that attitude into for 40 yrs lol

There was folk who went to Manchester that would struggle to spell Rangers, never mind go to Ibrox. Going on the piss for a once in a lifetime jolly isn't a barometer of how big a football club is.

The fact remains, Noddy. And the same rules apply to every other club in Europe...

Let's look at the second biggest travelling support in European football history then... Seville at 150k. This is 60k more than the previous high for a match on the continent with 90k being taken by Man U to Barcelona in '99.

We are unmatched, empirically.

The fact remains, Noddy. And the same rules apply to every other club in Europe...

Let's look at the second biggest travelling support in European football history then... Seville at 150k. This is 60k more than the previous high for a match on the continent with 90k being taken by Man U to Barcelona in '99.

And nearly a quarter of a million we took to Manchester

The correct answer, as previously mentioned, is Man Utd, Liverpool, Rangers, Celtic, Arsenal, and probably in that order but that’s up for debate. It certainly doesn’t include Spurs.
maybe not but spurs like arsenal have a rich history,Obviously they haven't won alot in recent history but then again our trophy count the last 12 years isn't exactly great.

Don't really care who's bigger or smaller than us, i just want to win the league, no other team matters, %^*& them

Our away support really is top notch compared to the other so called big clubs. I really love this type of thread. We are near the top of the tree

Manchester United, Liverpool, Rangers, Celtic, Arsenal are the top 5. (And probably in that order).

I think most neutrals in the UK would possibly put Celtic above us solely on their European Cup win, but I’d disagree.
Nottingham Forrest have won it twice, that doesn't make them bigger than us.

Fact remains, it was folk on the piss who haven't been near Ibrox since, and who couldn't really care if Rangers win or lose. The buses that left my hometown were full of them.

Liverpool and United were the diddy clubs in their respective City’s for most of their history, something we have never been
A truth forgotten or unknown by the modern football fan. The only big clubs for all the last 120 years are really Arsenal, Rangers and Celtic… everyone else has had 30 year glory periods and faded away. As always it depends on what the measuring stick is.

Fact remains, it was folk on the piss who haven't been near Ibrox since, and who couldn't really care if Rangers win or lose. The buses that left my hometown were full of them.

You’re a strange one, Nod.

You’re either talking up the Hearts support for failing to sell out their biggest match of the season and being forced to give freebies away via their charity organisation, or talking down the Rangers support for coming together in the single biggest movement of people since the Second World War, and making the weird argument that this isn’t somehow a barometer of the absolutely gargantuan size of a football club…

You’re a strange one, Nod.

You’re either talking up the Hearts support for failing to sell out their biggest match of the season and being forced to give freebies away via their charity organisation, or talking down the Rangers support for coming together in the single biggest movement of people since the Second World War, and making the weird argument that this isn’t somehow a barometer of the absolutely gargantuan size of a football club…
That wasn't the real Rangers support in Manchester. It was daytrippers on the piss, with not much interest in Rangers or football.

Club size, we’re top 4 for sure, and prior to Sky bank rolling English football and selling the rights overseas, we were close if not on a par with Man Utd for annual shirt sales. We also paid higher wages than most English clubs back then.

Unfortunately it’s changed days, we’ve no chance of competing financially with the EPL, even social media wise their clubs have millions of followers, it’s on a different level.

We should have maybe started in the English lower leagues back in 2012 rather than rebuild in Scotland, very much doubt it was ever a considered option though.
This was exactly what we should have done.

Apart from it being a massive GIRUY to the SFA and SPL, we would have been in the Premiership by now and then who knows

Personally for only Liverpool and Man Utd are bigger than us
Though the game has changed and your EPL sides have grown and have fans world wide and income we can only dream about
But that aside as solely a British football club with our fans, heritage and tradition only the two clubs I’ve mentioned can claim to be bigger
In the list of British clubs, we're definitely one of them.

Timing in football is everything

If european football existed under struth we could have multiple champions leagues. If murray had pushed the epl move in early 90s we could be out this backwater.

That lot accross the city got their timing lucky when they won the European cup. Esrly enough that any team could win it. By the time we had our 90s team it was already at the stage where we were being left behind
That's a lot of shite tbh. As much as I hate the fact that they won it, you still had to beat the teams on front of you. Do you discredit the great Madrid team of the 60s because they weren't beating teams of £50m players? Do you not rate our own European win because it was in the 70s?

Defo we have more support in Britain than the filth. Ask the vast majority in England to pick a favourite it’ll be mostly us.

Filth aren’t even the biggest club in Ireland
Not really support though is it? Ask me who i prefer in england doesn’t really count me as their fan :))

I know, but given Rangers and Celtic are very close together across other measures that might swing it for them.

It won't.

They've won fcuk all since then.

Rangers are the biggest club in Britain and anyone who says otherwise is for the watching.

That's a lot of shite tbh. As much as I hate the fact that they won it, you still had to beat the teams on front of you. Do you discredit the great Madrid team of the 60s because they weren't beating teams of £50m players? Do you not rate our own European win because it was in the 70s?
Are you denying its harder to win a European trophy now? Back then only the champions got in the european cup. Now 4/5 from the top nationa. Plus back then it was 5 games to win it. Now you play like 14. It absolutely is about timing

It won't.

They've won fcuk all since then.

Rangers are the biggest club in Britain and anyone who says otherwise is for the watching.
Nor have we.

The point is, most punters in England see Rangers and Celtic as a package deal. 'The Old Firm'. They see them as both dominating in Scotland and as having massive away/travelling support. They will see both our jerseys and theirs when they go abroad and they'll appreciate the reach both clubs have.

The only distinction many of them will make is that Celtic have won the European Cup, so that might sway the 'who's bigger' debate for a lot of them.

One thing I have noticed over the years is that when abroad Celtic fans are far more vocal about who they support whereas Rangers fans will be more reserved. I notice it a lot more on golf courses, business meetings etc.

Manchester United fans are the group who I have come across most but actually thinking about it the next best supported would be Leeds. After that it is definitely us and them

Just being in the EPL doesn't make you a big club I mean the likes of Bournemouth, Brentford, palace are tiny compared to us. United and Liverpool seem to have fans no matter where you go, I very rarely see City, Chelsea fans I know a few Arsenal fans but you go abroad you will find a Rangers supporters club so i think after Liverpool and United it would be us

Just being in the EPL doesn't make you a big club I mean the likes of Bournemouth, Brentford, palace are tiny compared to us. United and Liverpool seem to have fans no matter where you go, I very rarely see City, Chelsea fans I know a few Arsenal fans but you go abroad you will find a Rangers supporters club so i think after Liverpool and United it would be us

Looks like Arsenal have a fair few around the globe to be fair to them:

Not shocked to see a big presence in Africa.

Are you denying its harder to win a European trophy now? Back then only the champions got in the european cup. Now 4/5 from the top nationa. Plus back then it was 5 games to win it. Now you play like 14. It absolutely is about timing
It's harder now but that shouldn't diminish the achievements of Scottish clubs in past years. Our road to the CWC was a lot easier than the EL is now so should we dismiss it? You can only win the competition you're in.

Well you can't count celtic as a British club. Their timmy heart is in Ireland.
Only they are British. Their geographic location is Britain, they play in a British league, they’re registered in Britain, and their taxes are paid in Britain. It was always thus.

Worth remembering that for all our size and history, Rangers doesn’t even warrant a footnote in the English press. Nobody really cares outwith Scotland (anpart from our international / expat support).
The big English teams are obviously headline news globally.

In short we are being left far behind in the pecking order due to a crippling lack of interest in the Scottish game.

Being overtaken by English clubs left and right because of the EPL and the worldwide exposure it brings with it. Sadly.

Looking through some of the lists here, people can't genuinely believe Rangers (or that lot) are a bigger club than Arsenal in 2024? (I know we have a much bigger active following, but still).

Depends on the criteria you're using. If you're looking at the modern era then unfortunately we're probably just about 9th or 10th. But if you look beyond the EPL super era then it's a different discussion

We are massive obviously

But you still get those that are deluded that think if we were dropped in the EPL tomorrow we’d win it within a few years because the size of the fan base/club
The attendances at home games are not nearly as important to revenue in the EPL. It would give us an advantage in games against smaller teams at home, but that’s about it.

Linfield only lost by a goal in the Quarter finals in 1967.And CSKA Red Flag who beat them ,took Inter Milan to a third game play off in the semi final.
Timing indeed.

To flip this on it’s head I work with many many scousers who when the subject comes up all to a man nearly recognise both us and the vermin as the big clubs alongside Liverpool and Man U. The only folk who start belittling Rangers/Celtic are the london based employees to be honest who give it the generic ‘you play in Scotland, you can’t be a big club’ while they support Southampton or some other small town shite.

Back