Where we where, where we are going

Gallant_Few

At this point in my life it is fair to say that when it comes to Rangers I am satisfied at where my club is at right now. Having grown up watching very successful Rangers teams with absolutely unbelievable players in them I have to say I have been kind of spoiled a bit. There is a whole new generation of young fanatical Bears out there who have not been as fortunate as most of us when it comes to watching and following the club we all adore. I am now confident enough to say that I feel they are not far away in experiencing the pandemonium for themselves.

As a support we have endured the absolutely unthinkable for most fans Worldwide. We have been to the darkest of places through no fault of our own. There is things that happened during those dark days that will never sit right with me, or most of you for that matter. But we are Rangers Football Club, we survived everything that was thrown our way. But enough of that let us talk about the here and now.

Steven Gerrard MBE, Rangers Manager. This is the here and now and this is the man who is carrying the Hopes and dreams of Rangers supporters the World over. How far has he brought us and how far can he take us?? When he took over it is fair to say he inherited a team that lacked any fight whatsoever. We where being absolutely demolished by that lot across the city on a regular basis. We where going to places like Rugby Park, Pittodrie, Easter Road and Tynecaltle as the underdogs and fearing the worst, that wasnt the Rangers I grew up supporting.

When Pedro Caixinha was told he was no longer needed we where constantly seeing different names linked with the managers job, but one name seemed to stand out as the lead candidate, Derek Mcinnes. I think to most of us it seemed a foregone conclusion that he was going to be the next manager of the club. He seemed to be the preferred choice to what I would say was a sizeable percentage of the support and also he seemed to be the only man the board where interested in at the time, a safe appointment if you like. Needless to say talks took place and as we all know, Derek shat the bed.

After what seemed like an eternity and what we all thought was a period of time when the board had also shat the bed and buried their heads in the sand after Mcinnes had rejected the job, the name of Steven Gerrard emerged. Hang on a minute I said to myself "Steven Gerrard as Rangers manager", "Is this really happening". It was happening and subsequently it did happen and so leads us up untill today.

From where we where at the start of last season when Gerrard walked along the front of the main stand to greet the supporters to where we are today is remarkable IMO. We have gone from having a team with no fight whatsoever to a team who will run through brick walls for the club, the fans and their manager. We have a team who now instills a confidence in the support whenever they take to the pitch, no matter who we are playing or where we are playing them, what a difference eh!! He may not have won any silverware in his first season as manager but the improvement that was made was evident. So far this summer he has again brought in players who will improve us and move us forward once more. Some of the new lads look like very, very good signings indeed. Obviously as I write this we are on the verge of spending around 3-4 million on an international left sided centre half.

So right now I am satisfied at where we are at, in fact I am very satisfied. I do not believe that our transfer business will be finished after we complete the singing of Helander. Obviously much will depend on the final outcome of the Alfredo Morelos "will he, wont he" transfer saga. What I am excited about is just where this journey will end up with Steven Gerrard, just how good a team will he be able to assemble in his time here?? I think it is fair to say that the confidence i have in the man bringing success back to this club is huge. He is going to let the younger generation of Bears share in our experience of celebrating the club winning silverware.

So buckle up, this might just be the year...

At this point in my life it is fair to say that when it comes to Rangers I am satisfied at where my club is at right now. Having grown up watching very successful Rangers teams with absolutely unbelievable players in them I have to say I have been kind of spoiled a bit. There is a whole new generation of young fanatical Bears out there who have not been as fortunate as most of us when it comes to watching and following the club we all adore. I am now confident enough to say that I feel they are not far away in experiencing the pandemonium for themselves.

As a support we have endured the absolutely unthinkable for most fans Worldwide. We have been to the darkest of places through no fault of our own. There is things that happened during those dark days that will never sit right with me, or most of you for that matter. But we are Rangers Football Club, we survived everything that was thrown our way. But enough of that let us talk about the here and now.

Steven Gerrard MBE, Rangers Manager. This is the here and now and this is the man who is carrying the Hopes and dreams of Rangers supporters the World over. How far has he brought us and how far can he take us?? When he took over it is fair to say he inherited a team that lacked any fight whatsoever. We where being absolutely demolished by that lot across the city on a regular basis. We where going to places like Rugby Park, Pittodrie, Easter Road and Tynecaltle as the underdogs and fearing the worst, that wasnt the Rangers I grew up supporting.

When Pedro Caixinha was told he was no longer needed we where constantly seeing different names linked with the managers job, but one name seemed to stand out as the lead candidate, Derek Mcinnes. I think to most of us it seemed a foregone conclusion that he was going to be the next manager of the club. He seemed to be the preferred choice to what I would say was a sizeable percentage of the support and also he seemed to be the only man the board where interested in at the time, a safe appointment if you like. Needless to say talks took place and as we all know, Derek shat the bed.

After what seemed like an eternity and what we all thought was a period of time when the board had also shat the bed and buried their heads in the sand after Mcinnes had rejected the job, the name of Steven Gerrard emerged. Hang on a minute I said to myself "Steven Gerrard as Rangers manager", "Is this really happening". It was happening and subsequently it did happen and so leads us up untill today.

From where we where at the start of last season when Gerrard walked along the front of the main stand to greet the supporters to where we are today is remarkable IMO. We have gone from having a team with no fight whatsoever to a team who will run through brick walls for the club, the fans and their manager. We have a team who now instills a confidence in the support whenever they take to the pitch, no matter who we are playing or where we are playing them, what a difference eh!! He may not have won any silverware in his first season as manager but the improvement that was made was evident. So far this summer he has again brought in players who will improve us and move us forward once more. Some of the new lads look like very, very good signings indeed. Obviously as I write this we are on the verge of spending around 3-4 million on an international left sided centre half.

So right now I am satisfied at where we are at, in fact I am very satisfied. I do not believe that our transfer business will be finished after we complete the singing of Helander. Obviously much will depend on the final outcome of the Alfredo Morelos "will he, wont he" transfer saga. What I am excited about is just where this journey will end up with Steven Gerrard, just how good a team will he be able to assemble in his time here?? I think it is fair to say that the confidence i have in the man bringing success back to this club is huge. He is going to let the younger generation of Bears share in our experience of celebrating the club winning silverware.

Brilliant post mate. We all hope and pray with every fibre of our being this is the year.

Had a few pints tonight where we were debating what will be our starting midfield this season. After an hour we were still disagreeing.

I think the Morelos situation needs to be addressed ASAP but other than that we should be very confident as we look sloid for the first time in a long time.

SG was a masterstroke and a slight gamble. Somebody mentioned him near the end of Pedros stint. I just thought he was too inexperienced. I underestimated him and his will. He assembled the perfect backroom team and carried that on to the playing squad.
We were unsettled due to numbers but he got them gelled in time to get through Euro qualifying and made sure we wouldn’t need another rebuild. The team he brought appear to have slotted in and work with who was here. The DOF role was another good appointment although I’m sure it was unfortunate that it happened while Pedro was on his way. There will be bumps but there’s an infrastructure with planning to deal with them.
This window is about bringing quality but part of the strategy seems to be trying to get the best local lads from other teams and work to a list of attributes required for certain positions.
We can see it playing out in front of us.
The board have done very well after a wobbly start but I wouldn’t envy trying to sort out what they inherited. We are the happiest fans in the world. Tainted treb treb “winners” are the saddest. It’s glorious.

Why is there no a way to edit the Title of threads. It’s very bloody annoying
It’s been the same on the last 3 forum hosts I think. Maybe to do with changing title when discussion is in flow. You should be able to change it until there’s a few replies or something.

SG was a masterstroke and a slight gamble. Somebody mentioned him near the end of Pedros stint. I just thought he was too inexperienced. I underestimated him and his will. He assembled the perfect backroom team and carried that on to the playing squad.
We were unsettled due to numbers but he got them gelled in time to get through Euro qualifying and made sure we wouldn’t need another rebuild. The team he brought appear to have slotted in and work with who was here. The DOF role was another good appointment although I’m sure it was unfortunate that it happened while Pedro was on his way. There will be bumps but there’s an infrastructure with planning to deal with them.
This window is about bringing quality but part of the strategy seems to be trying to get the best local lads from other teams and work to a list of attributes required for certain positions.
The board have done very well after a wobbly start but I wouldn’t envy trying to sort out what they inherited. We are the happiest fans in the world. Tainted treb treb “winners” are the saddest. It’s glorious.

His backroom team are just another example of how far we have come. They are a very highly professional and extremely talented bunch.

Mick Beale is an absolute gem.

Brilliant post OP sums up my feelings exactly .I was lucky enough to have seen the highs from Barcelona when I was a kid , the lows of Aberdeen dominating the turning pont of David Holmes who does not get the credit he deserves some younger fans might even say David who ? To the success of the Souness / Smith years .Then the dark years when our great club was financially raped then punished the only time in history the victim of the rape was punished and the guilty ones walked free.
Then the long painful climb to get back to where we belong. When the best fans in the world stood by this great club .
Now we have a young hungry manager I admit who has not won anything yet but will of that I've no doubt .
And if people think when we get 55 that SG will be satisfied they don't know the mans history ,he will not rest on his laurels he will drive our club on to greater heights and who knows where that will take . Obviously Champions League winning is impossible but anything else ,who knows what with our fans and SG it could be exciting times ahead

His backroom team are just another example of how far we have come. They are a very highly professional and extremely talented bunch.

Mick Beale is an absolute gem.

The professionalism is the difference. Anything other than being the best will now be looked upon as failure.

At Rangers that has to be the way it is.

Brilliant post OP sums up my feelings exactly .I was lucky enough to have seen the highs from Barcelona when I was a kid , the lows of Aberdeen dominating the turning pont of David Holmes who does not get the credit he deserves some younger fans might even say David who ? To the success of the Souness / Smith years .Then the dark years when our great club was financially raped then punished the only time in history the victim of the rape was punished and the guilty ones walked free.
Then the long painful climb to get back to where we belong. When the best fans in the world stood by this great club .
Now we have a young hungry manager I admit who has not won anything yet but will of that I've no doubt .
And if people think when we get 55 that SG will be satisfied they don't know the mans history ,he will not rest on his laurels he will drive our club on to greater heights and who knows where that will take . Obviously Champions League winning is impossible but anything else ,who knows what with our fans and SG it could be exciting times ahead

I agree with you that winning the league will not be seen as job done under Steven Gerrard. And as you say obviously winning the champions League is never gona happen I believe that he will be targeting the Champions League group stage and having a team who can give a good account of themselves, who knows maybe even a last 16 dream.

An air of confidence in me that the title is happening this season.

Then again...I have always been that way every season.

Getting close would have been seen as acceptable for most in the last few. This season we now have a squad that should be able to take care of the rest. The four OF games this season are massive.

We will improve as we go on and we will shock them, so much that when they come to Ibrox they will sit in and play not to lose the game, something we have not seen from them in many a season.

I agree mate they will now be coming to Ibrox with a very different mind set. Not like the one they had the season before last when they actually could not wait to come to Ibrox to try and annihilate us.

The tables are well and truly turning.

I agree mate they will now be coming to Ibrox with a very different mind set. Not like the one they had the season before last when they actually could not wait to come to Ibrox to try and annihilate us.

The tables are well and truly turning.

Even last season other than the 1-0 defeat where we had played with 9 men in Russia on the Thursday we bossed the OF games.

They probably start as slight favs at this stage last year they were nailed on certs.

Even last season other than the 1-0 defeat where we had played with 9 men in Russia on the Thursday we bossed the OF games.

They probably start as slight favs at this stage last year they were nailed on certs.

As much as the bookies will have them as favourites they will be shitting it from Rangers league winning bets.

I agree with you that winning the league will not be seen as job done under Steven Gerrard. And as you say obviously winning the champions League is never gona happen I believe that he will be targeting the Champions League group stage and having a team who can give a good account of themselves, who knows maybe even a last 16 dream.
Totally agree Gallant SG never achieved what he has achieved by coasting along the man is a winner through and through

I have to say that I was a slight doubter when Gerrard was appointed. I was excited at the glamour but very worried that the inexperience would cost us. And I doubted that Gary McAllister was much insurance. His managerial career had been poor. I tended to see more downside than up.

I was completely wrong.

Being a manager is not massively hard. Choosing a formation is very literally like a computer game. The challenging part is inspiring players to play above themselves in the role you give them and in finding and training players at the level you need them to be. Gerrard has always been a natural leader. That has always been apparent in his play - he’s one of the few who can say that he essentially won a champion’s league final by himself through his inspiration. But his teammates regularly say that it happened behind closed doors too. He was doing the hairdryer and inspirational speeches as a player so of course he can do them as the gaffer.

And, in finding and training players, he gave us instant access to folk who were actually the best in the business. He took swathes of Liverpool’s backroom staff with him. We would never have got these guys otherwise and they are training our guys and managing the sports science on a level we just couldn’t get conventionally. Then comes recruitment. It’s not just Gerrard. Allen has been outstanding in that regard. But the sway that having a legend of the game come calling gives us is unparalleled. It is a FF cliche but the line comparing treacle teeth to Gerrard when players meet the gaffer is true. It’s also true comparing Gerrard to almost any other manager we’ve had in my lifetime. Smith was a force of nature and reportedly one of the most inspiring/intimidating men you’ll meet. McLeish was one of the greatest Scottish players of the last several generations. Advocaat was a well known and respected manager. But all pale compared to a man who was idolised by a large majority of current British players when they were children and was known globally as one of the best midfielders in the world. If you are a 20 year old footballer, you at least have a listen if Stevie bloody Gerrard wants to talk to you.

The benefits of having him massively outweigh any shortcomings of inexperience. He is building something awesome. When we next meet, the scum will be the ones more afraid of the outcome. I mean that sincerely. They are terrified that we are about to rip down the false edifice they have built. We no longer fear them. We anticipate the victory. That change is profound. The expectation of victory was the biggest thing that we lost when we fell because that expectation is what carries you through the tough games. Gerrard has given it back to us far faster than I ever expected.

We are not first yet. But we expect to be. And they run scared of us getting there. Even in expectation, we welcome the chase again while they fear it. And that has always been the difference.

Last edited:
Agree with everything in the OP, the appointment of SG and the rest of the backroom team was a masterstroke by our board. Gets on my tits when I read pish like if we don't win at least a cup this year then he has to go, everybody needs to realise and understand where we were and where we can go with this team at the helm.

Agree with everything in the OP, the appointment of SG and the rest of the backroom team was a masterstroke by our board. Gets on my tits when I read pish like if we don't win at least a cup this year then he has to go, everybody needs to realise and understand where we were and where we can go with this team at the helm.

Like night and day from when he was appointed.

Like night and day from when he was appointed.
It is mate. We are at the point now where there is very little between us and them in terms of player quality and squad depth, our games against them last season showed that and with the additions in this transfer window there's even less between us.

If we can turn Ibrox into a cauldron of noise and intimidation against EVERY opponent we will win the league next season, I am absolutely certain of it.

Had a few pints tonight where we were debating what will be our starting midfield this season. After an hour we were still disagreeing.

I think the Morelos situation needs to be addressed ASAP but other than that we should be very confident as we look sloid for the first time in a long time.

Surely it will be Aribo-Davis-Kamara, what was the argument

Where's Arfield playing?

Challenging Ojo.

I can see Arfield playing instead of Kamara in some games against the dross but I don’t think he is in our best midfield 3. Contributes well up front but less than the others in the overall midfield battle including Jack.

Arfield’s role is as inside forward. Ojo is a better winger than Arfield and if he keeps up the scoring then Scott might have a strong fight to get in. But if Ojo’s scoring dries up (or the left side are weaker and he is moved there) then right inside forward is Arfield’s for the taking.

Don’t turn this brilliant post and thread by the OP into another pissing contest people.
Keep your sniping and bitching elsewhere !
We have a squad assembled by Steven Gerrard that none of us had any say in and he’ll be picking the team each week. Debate is one thing and a full blown chimps tea party another eh ?
Well said mate

Don’t turn this brilliant post and thread by the OP into another pissing contest people.
We have a squad assembled by Steven Gerrard that none of us had any say in and he’ll be picking the team each week. Debate is one thing and a full blown chimps tea party another eh ?

No arguments here, just asking peoples thoughts on what the midfield would be. I cant see Arfield going back into the midfield 3 I think hes made for that inside forward role and will be battling Ojo for it

No arguments here, just asking peoples thoughts on what the midfield would be. I cant see Arfield going back into the midfield 3 I think hes made for that inside forward role and will be battling Ojo for it

I think Arfield is more suited to playing in a more advanced role than the 3 in midfield myself.

No one is bitching or sniping?

This will be the season 55 is coming

There's a different swagger and presence around the whole setup at the moment - from King to Gerrard its starting to really ooze through the team now - the belief is back and on solid ground

I prefer not to talk about them but they will still be the biggest rivals for the league next year (or will they ??) I can only see Timplosions of an epic scale which will soon come to light. Paedo scandal off the pitch is like a disease going through their club and still amazed they put that Loonball in charge again ? when the results start to go wrong (and they will) he has one answer like his club "no ma fault"

55 and Mega Timplosions in one season - Cheers ;-)

An air of confidence in me that the title is happening this season.

Then again...I have always been that way every season.

Difference being that that hope has has always evaporated before Halloween. Last season it evaporated early with a brief resurgence of hope at the end of December. I’m sure we’ll see a huge improvement there this season.

Difference being that that hope has has always evaporated before Halloween. Last season it evaporated early with a brief resurgence of hope at the end of December. I’m sure we’ll see a huge improvement there this season.

I'm confident the experience Gerrard will have gained from his first season will also help. The consistency will improve massively I believe.

Spot on about the backroom team.

I have a good feeling about this season.

I find it difficult not to believe that we're a stronger proposition than we were last term, while Celtic appear to be regressing.

Will both of these factors be enough to bridge the gap? Time will tell, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't a much closer run affair at the very least.

I have a good feeling about this season.

I find it difficult not to believe that we're a stronger proposition than we were last term, while Celtic appear to be regressing.

Will both of these factors be enough to bridge the gap? Time will tell, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't a much closer run affair at the very least.

First month could be crucial if we can get our noses in front after the first OF game Lennon could implode.

Hopefully the next three weeks flyby.

Back