Where would we finish in the English Premiership?

Where do we finish?

• 1-4

Votes: 52 5.5%
  • 5-6

Votes: 40 4.2%
  • 7-10

Votes: 189 19.9%
  • 11-14

Votes: 319 33.5%
  • 15-17

Votes: 225 23.7%
  • Relegated

Votes: 126 13.2%

• Total voters
As we are right now, bottom end of the top half. Pushing for the title within ten years

I sort of agree but I think it would be good if we survived a first season in the EPL, getting there would not be easy but agree we could be pushing for mid table within 3 years, because returns on TV would not be instantly recognisable which would be key to our progressing beyond !

Now I'm back to normality and reckon that would be our best possible expectation.

Sadly there would be enormous obstacles to this scenario.

An injury to one or two of our key players and we struggle in Scotland.

To begin with it would be a relegation battle. If we could stay up, improve the squad then we creep up the table.

The current side would struggle to stay up.
However, with EPL money and the investment that playing in that league could bring in, we'd be on par with their mid-table teams.
We could make the step up to challenging for the title .It comes down to management ,Everton Newcastle and Villa,all big clubs have rarely troubled the top teams yet Leicester have taken the title recently

Even the poorer clubs in the EPL have a bunch of players who would walk into our 11. That's the cold, hard truth. West Ham have a very good 11 on paper when everyone is fit and yet they've struggled this season.

Rangers rejects. Hibs also rans are keeping clubs up and seeing relegation fodder not humiliated.
We'd stay up.

You'd need to be brain damaged to think 13-17 in the premiership would brush aside Porto, Feyenoord, Braga, Marseille, Legia Warsaw, amongst others.
We'd stay up, it wouldn't be pretty or comfortable, but we'd not be going down.
Porto might make the top half of the premiership but the rest of that line up frankly would be also rans.

Wolves are the best yard stick.
Today they are sitting 7th and were playing probably one gear above us in the Europa.

We wouldn’t be challenging above that and not in relegation either. Could be anywhere 10-15th.
Couple years of the big bucks and we’d skoosh it ;)

The team we have at the moment could not compete at all in English premiership.
Too slow,too weak especially defence. Couldn't compete at set pieces so relegation battle is my guess.Virtual guess right enough as it will never happen.

Wigan, Bolton, Bournemouth all small sides came up and done well in their first season in the EPL.

Did anyone foresee Sheff Utd finishing above last seasons CL runners up?

Sheffield United spent £62m on players this year.

They’ve been fantastic but it’s not a case of them not having spent anything.

Depends. Current squad would struggle but are you assuming we'd be a regular EPL side with that kind of income etc?

With current squad, regardless of form, I’m bamboozled by folk who say top 6. No way would that team, never mind the rest of the squad have the quality or consistency for more than mid table.

11-15 imo, I’d aim to stay up in the first season then with some investment blend in some decent players and aim for top 10 for 2-3 seasons whilst gathering funds then push for a top 6 finish.

Some people need to look at reality rather than media hype. We couldn't touch the top 6 at the minute but looking at clubs beneath them in Europe they're pish.

English clubs outside the top 6 performance in Europe

2018-19 Burnley - EL playoffs (to Olympiacos)
2017-18 Everton - 3rd in EL group (Lyon, Atalanta, Apollon Limassol)
2016-17 Southampton - 3rd in EL group (Inter, Sparta Prague, Hapoel Beer Sheva)
West Ham - EL playoff (Astra Giurgiu)
2015-16 Southampton - EL playoff (Midtjylland)
West Ham - 3rd Qualifying Round (Astra Giurgiu)

How anyone can say we'd be fighting relegation is bizarre given we outperform the 7th team in England in Europe consistently (using the poets in Europe as a barometer as well).

Voted on the basis we would be on an equal footing financially our loyal support and there's not a team like the famous; top 4 comfortable

There is a lot of dross in the epl I think with current squad we would probably survive. With the money that comes pushing top 6.

I mean teams like burnley what's the point of them? They have no ambition to win anything just to survive.

if we were ever allowed in, the moment that happend, there would be billionaires on the phone looking to buy the club straight away. No doubt about it. With that happening I'd see us 6-10 first season.

no slap at our management, or our squad ,but financially we just could not compete . probably could finish a top ten in the championship.

With a re-invogirated Ibrox packed to the rafters every other Saturday, and the players responding accordingly, I reckon we would surprise ourselves and survive comfortably mid-table until the money kicked in, and then afterwards I think we can only dream. No matter what, it would just be amazing to be away from the shithole that is Scottish football right now.

If we were dumped into the premiere league we would struggle but if we had time to respond around 2 seasons and with the best support in the world and a level playing field ( something that we don't have even in Scotland) we would definitely be a force to be reckoned with, we would be able to attract players that we could not otherwise attract and could conceivably on a level playing field win the premiere league within a 3 to 4 years timespan.

With our current squad we would do well not to get relegated. No chance would we make the top ten.

Would not be a problem anymore to attract the best of the talent out there.

Having an argument with a mate and I genuinely think we could push top ten in our current state.

With time and EPL TV Money we could look top 6 and 4.

Just watching a lot of the games, and the standard is not as good as many would have you believe.

Our Euro form shows w're a match for most teams on our day.

For a start we are comfortably better than the three who will be relegated, Norwich, Bournemouth and Villa.

Hypothetically where do you think we would finish in our current form?

If we don’t aim to win it, what’s the point in being there.

With our current squad we would do well not to get relegated. No chance would we make the top ten.

Would not be a problem anymore to attract the best of the talent out there.
Opinions & all that, but you honestly think player for player we're that much worse than, say, Sheffield Utd?

I think our European performances demonstrate we could compete for top 10, likely finishing around 10th or 11th. We're better than sides like Burnley and Newcastle who are in those places at the moment
Both these teams would put us to the sword , we can't beat a very very poor Hearts or a Hamilton at home & we trailed the filth by 13 points when the league was called , so both Burnley & Newcastle are a level above especially Newcastle who I think would beat us very comfortably

Both these teams would put us to the sword , we can't beat a very very poor Hearts or a Hamilton at home & we trailed the filth by 13 points when the league was called , so both Burnley & Newcastle are a level above especially Newcastle who I think would beat us very comfortably
We also beat a Porto side that is romping the Portuguese league. You can take any results in isolation to make a point and certainly based on form since the winter break we wouldn't be doing well.

At our best though, I think we're better than those sides. Burnley needed extra time to put Aberdeen out a season ago after two legs, and I don't think Newcastle are a particularly good side

Opinions & all that, but you honestly think player for player we're that much worse than, say, Sheffield Utd?

You are talking about Sheffield Utd who are above Arsenal and Spurs and have just pumped Chelsea 3-0.

If we were just dumped in that league we would struggle to maintain form over the season.

Their players are used to playing at such a high level week in week out - We go from Porto to Hamilton.

The team we have at the moment could not compete at all in English premiership.
Too slow,too weak especially defence. Couldn't compete at set pieces so relegation battle is my guess.Virtual guess right enough as it will never happen.

You're not allowed to be too realistic here. It's forbidden.

My first thought before I opened this was 17. I think we’re good enough to compete with most teams save top 6 and we hold our own in Europe but trying to do that for 38 games is a different matter. I don’t think we’d get relegated and I’d expect us to be 4 or 5 points clear of the bottom 3. If we and indeed the manks went down south we’d change the makeup of the league and create a gap between 17 and 18. Within 10 years we would be competing for CL football. We’d probably have won the Europa league by then too. I’d expect a title within 15 years. If Leicester can push for top 6 with a smaller fan base then we could. I think if Ashley goes Newcastle could be making a top 8 easily.

You can't really vote for that unless you mean on current squad. If we joined prem we would have better TV deal and I imagine we'd get more investment from somewhere as well. Who knows what we could achieve if we got those things. I by no means ever want to find that out though wouldn't want to join their league. To be fair to everyone else we'd almost definitely have to start from bottom tier first as well.

You are talking about Sheffield Utd who are above Arsenal and Spurs and have just pumped Chelsea 3-0.

If we were just dumped in that league we would struggle to maintain form over the season.

Their players are used to playing at such a high level week in week out - We go from Porto to Hamilton.
So you do think they have much better players than us, which is fair enough. I'm less convinced of that.

Most of our squad wouldn't get into a premiership squad bar about 3 or 4 of them max so by that reckoning relegation or just above

Based on August to December - top half.

January onwards Norwich would beat us so bottom easily.

If we survived relegation down there, we would improve every year though.

Back