Whittaker v roofe

Which was best?

• Whittaker

Votes: 83 9.2%
  • Roofe

Votes: 818 90.8%

• Total voters
Roofe all day long. Genuine contender for best Rangers goal of all time now. Between Cooper keepy up over Celtic defenders heads and Roofe imo. Take your pick.

It's apples and pears to me,both goals were absolutely stunning but for different reasons.
I think you can only compare them against similar techniques e.g. Roofe compared to the goals scored from distance by the likes of Beckham and Rooney or Whitakers mazy run and finish compared to Maradona and Messi.
I can only say I feel privileged to have seen them as they happened.
Roofe had a mazy run beating players then scored from half way line.

It's apples and pears to me,both goals were absolutely stunning but for different reasons.
I think you can only compare them against similar techniques e.g. Roofe compared to the goals scored from distance by the likes of Beckham and Rooney or Whitakers mazy run and finish compared to Maradona and Messi.
I can only say I feel privileged to have seen them as they happened.
Absolutely no comparison with Whittaker's goal to Maradona or Messi's either really :)) those guys beat 4 or 5 proper tackles before rounding the keeper.

Roofe had a mazy run beating players then scored from half way line.
It was an absolutely stunning goal and he did brilliantly winning the ball and beating a couple of players before shooting,I am not taking anything away from that.My point is the goals are different as in Whittaker ran the full length of the pitch beating players drawing the keeper and slotting it passed him.They both were brilliant goals but required different skill sets so you are not comparing like for like.

Absolutely no comparison with Whittaker's goal to Maradona or Messi's either really :)) those guys beat 4 or 5 proper tackles before rounding the keeper.
Bet you never heard Maradonna,Messi and Whitaker in the same sentence,I get your point but Whitakers goal was more similar to those than the one Roofe scored:)

Quite a lot of people judging the player and not the goal. I would say they are both up there with the best, on a level with me.

Whittaker is still a rat though

Honestly, take a step back and watch Whittaker's again. At the time I thought it was incredible, caught up in the euphoria of what it meant. But he wins a tackle in the centre circle and goes past one challenge. It's not a mazy dribble, its not the length of the pitch. Vastly overrated goal imo.

It was an absolutely stunning goal and he did brilliantly winning the ball and beating a couple of players before shooting,I am not taking anything away from that.My point is the goals are different as in Whittaker ran the full length of the pitch beating players drawing the keeper and slotting it passed him.They both were brilliant goals but required different skill sets so you are not comparing like for like.
Was more or less half way line he picked up the ball not full length of the pitch.

Sandy Jardine's goal against the Filth* in the 1979 Dryborough Cup Final was better than Whittaker's.

In my opinion.

Roofe's goal was so incredible as he beat two or three man on a saturated pitch and the strike was pinpoint as goalkeeper wasnt overly far off his line,
Can honestly say this is the best goal i have seen in my life.Roofe will go down as a legend even if doesnt do much else at Rangers

Was more or less half way line he picked up the ball not full length of the pitch.
Ok it seems you don't like Whitaker as you seem to want to detract from the brilliance of his goal.For the sake of accuracy he won the tackle beyond the perimeter of the centre circle,well inside his own half.
Roofes goal was stunning and hopefully will win the goal of the tournament.

Ok it seems you don't like Whitaker as you seem to want to detract from the brilliance of his goal.For the sake of accuracy he won the tackle beyond the perimeter of the centre circle,well inside his own half.
Roofes goal was stunning and hopefully will win the goal of the tournament.
My personal feelings on Whittaker don't come into it. He didn't run the length of the park like you said. I was there that night great goal but not in the same class as Thursday night imo.

My personal feelings on Whittaker don't come into it. He didn't run the length of the park like you said. I was there that night great goal but not in the same class as Thursday night imo.
Your not hiding it very well mate.He wasn't more or less on the half way line as you said either.
Can we just agree that they were two brilliant goals and leave it at that.

Your not hiding it very well mate.He wasn't more or less on the half way line as you said either.
Can we just agree that they were two brilliant goals and leave it at that.
He was in our D of the half way line. That's more or less the half way line in my book and yes I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire.

He was in our D of the half way line. That's more or less the half way line in my book and yes I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire.
He was outside the D when he won the ball,check it on YouTube if you don't believe me.
I can understand why you feel the way you do but don't let it blind you to the facts.

He was outside the D when he won the ball,check it on YouTube if you don't believe me.
I can understand why you feel the way you do but don't let it blind you to the facts.
Just outside the D. He was closer to the half way line by a distance than to our 18 yard box. Great goal. He tackled a player won the ball. Roofe tackled a player won the ball. Both beat 3 players. 1 scored from just inside his own half. That's the better goal by a distance imo.

I genuinely don't think i've ever seen a better goal than Roofe's in my life, for us or otherwise.

Whittaker's goal is superb and was on a bigger stage but for sheer quality of goal, it has to be Roofe.

I actually think the hard work was done before the shot when he won the ball beat a player megged another in these conditions.
the whole passage of play was hard imo, and to shoot(it was not a lob) and the wee bit of bend he put on the ball, over the keeper who was no that far out the goal, put it this way, we'll see Roofe's goal shown forever on these best goals show things, SW's not so much.

Just outside the D. He was closer to the half way line by a distance than to our 18 yard box. Great goal. He tackled a player won the ball. Roofe tackled a player won the ball. Both beat 3 players. 1 scored from just inside his own half. That's the better goal by a distance imo.
Absolutely no argument with you both fantastic goals but imo they can't be compared like for like as they both needed different skill sets.Roofes strength and skills got him into a position to shoot from over 50 yards which required strength and accuracy.
Whitaker won the ball well inside his own half then ran with the ball at his feet for around 60 yards beating players along the way,he draws the keeper and slots it by him.IMO both brilliant but not comparable due to them being totally different styles.

Whittaker for me. As outstanding as Roofe's was there's just something about the goal that Whittaker scored that night. I screamed half a dozen times for him to pass the fu(king ball,you're a defender ffs. Next minute, whit a goal. Magical moment but so was Roofe's.

We're becoming obsessed on this forum with comparing players, teams, goals etc. Can you not just enjoy them for what they are?

I can understand why some have voted for Whittaker but him playing in Portugal on a decent pitch on a warm night can't possibly match the (Jesus analogy) walking on water, holding off strong challenges, skinning a couple of fuds then telling the keeper to sit on his arse and play with his toes, Roofe all day long.

FFS, that's like asking who was better; The Beatles or The Bay City Rollers?

Whitaker's goal was an absolute gem, an absolute belter.

Roofe's is the goal of the century thus far.
Good comparison! We could get a thread on the best comparisons, I'll go for Led Zeppelin and Spinal Tap or Laurel and Hardy and Little and Large.

I voted Whittaker because of the context and importance.

A better level of opposition, a more important round of the competition.

Roofes goal is outrageous though.

Roofe's is quite probably the best goal I've ever seen. The build up in horrible conditions, the look up to see the keeper off his line and the perfectly hit shot.

Whittaker's meant more though.

Back