Who do we sell?

Selling Patterson in January would represent a massive failure in our transfer strategy IMO.

I don't care how it's spun.
I’m not seeing much evidence this fabled strategy actually is a thing… we’ve not exactly been getting monumental bids for players and the couple of notable/rumoured bids that have come in have been booted into touch.

We need to get good offers and sell when we do or the strategy is just a myth.

We should be building the team around them
Nah...
We don't have a player we should be building a team round.
I feel we are guilty of bumming up some decent but not brilliant players.
Id listen to offers on them all.
I'd be sad to see Alfie or Paterson go. The rest wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

Depends if we win the league or not

The thought of losing that CL money again is keeping me up at night. Will set us back years

There is a massive summer rebuild either way. Without the CL I l dread to think what it will look like playing and staff wise

I would argue that the January transfer window is one of our most important for years. If we are still in the hunt we need to generate some funds for the manager to add some quality to the first team.

I really don't care how we do it but we need to punt a few out the door and get some freshness added to the 1st team even if it's just a short fix because a blind man can see that current team have run their course.

I’m not seeing much evidence this fabled strategy actually is a thing… we’ve not exactly been getting monumental bids for players and the couple of notable/rumoured bids that have come in have been booted into touch.

We need to get good offers and sell when we do or the strategy is just a myth.
Do you know why we aren’t getting acceptable bids? Because buying clubs know we aren’t in the best of a financial situation and have tried to lowball offers. Like the €8m for Alfie and the £5m for Patterson.

Clubs are chancing it, but clearly decided that they wouldn’t increase an offer to what Rangers valued their assets at. Add to the fact that we need to retain those assets to try and win 56, we aren’t going to have a fire sale for the heck of pleasing a few “get player X tae eff” rockets.

Do you know why we aren’t getting acceptable bids? Because buying clubs know we aren’t in the best of a financial situation and have tried to lowball offers. Like the €8m for Alfie and the £5m for Patterson.

Clubs are chancing it, but clearly decided that they wouldn’t increase an offer to what Rangers valued their assets at. Add to the fact that we need to retain those assets to try and win 56, we aren’t going to have a fire sale for the heck of pleasing a few “get player X tae eff” rockets.
Which is why the strategy is essentially bollocks.

I would argue that the January transfer window is one of our most important for years. If we are still in the hunt we need to generate some funds for the manager to add some quality to the first team.

I really don't care how we do it but we need to punt a few out the door and get some freshness added to the 1st team even if it's just a short fix because a blind man can see that current team have run their course.
Yep January is huge. We need to spend to get quality though and I'm not sure we will... whens the last time we spent a decent fee in Jan?

Which is why the strategy is essentially bollocks.
So what’s the alternative?

It’s not anyways, because it would only be if we’d let those players go massively under their true and proper market value.

The biggest issue this year was the loss to Malmo which stopped us boosting it further and possibly cushioning the way for a sale at a more acceptable price from a position of strength.

I'd sell Morelos
So should we have accepted the low €8m Porto bid?

You sell when you think you can replace a player leaving with one equally as good at that value. Clearly Rangers didn’t believe they could. Nor do I.

Selling for selling’s sake when 56 is on the line at under market value? Ross Wilson would be castigated for a lack of ambition and rightly so.

But you can have all the ambition you like, your financial situation dictates what’s doable.

Tavernier has a replacement in the squad already. Goldson thinks he’s better than he is and can go off to achieve his life’s ambition of being third choice centre half for a team that finishes 16th in the premiership. Their combined value isn’t earth shattering, but what’s the point of keeping them at this point? There’s always a right time for players to move on.

Sell Tav? Really?

He’s probably our best player

People seem to think Patterson is going to be our saviour. The big is young and yes deserves game time but for me he’s not on Tavs level yet

Remove Tav from that team where do the goals come from?

Midfielders Create nothing
Maybe last season but he’s been very poor this term mate

So what’s the alternative?

It’s not anyways, because it would only be if we’d let those players go massively under their true and proper market value.

The biggest issue this year was the loss to Malmo which stopped us boosting it further and possibly cushioning the way for a sale at a more acceptable price from a position of strength.
What player are we going to get the “true and proper” value for if we get no bids of that number? Because they’ll go for less than the bids we’re knocking back.

The strategy has to be to buy low and sell for a profit and repeat. Otherwise we just let the squad stagnate, lose players for fck all and can’t buy anyone new that’s as good/better.

If we are reliant on qualifying for the CL - we’re genuinely fcked. Because that’s not a strategy for sustainability or growth. It’s living on a wing and a prayer.

I suspect we'll get offers for Hagi and Patterson in January.

Would rather keep both, but if the club needs to sell one, I'd rather keep Patterson.

Those I'd rather sell, I have my doubts we will get anyone wanting them mid season.

It's clear this team has ran its course and we need to sell at least 3-4 players. We wont make enough on selling one player imo. I dont see us selling anyone in this squad for over 10m so its going to take a few sales. Morelos, Kamara and Hagi maybe?
Who's gonny buy anyone? Goldson? As far as I can see he's way below par.Alfie? His value has dropped big time ( hope we keep him).NOT slot of sell on value ,a could be completely wrong but.

So should we have accepted the low €8m Porto bid?

You sell when you think you can replace a player leaving with one equally as good at that value. Clearly Rangers didn’t believe they could. Nor do I.

Selling for selling’s sake when 56 is on the line at under market value? Ross Wilson would be castigated for a lack of ambition and rightly so.

But you can have all the ambition you like, your financial situation dictates what’s doable.
I should have added if a decent bid comes in.

Morelos doesn't play like he wants to be here now, he has become lazy and weak, his overall play is poor and if we wait until the summer he may lose even more value. If we were to get a bid in January of around £10 million I reckon the board and management accept it if we can re invest it.

We need to sell 1 or 2 high value players imo in January or we could well be in Celtics shadows for years to come again

First player comes to mind is Morelos,,,,although that worries me as he is the one that has scored important goals the last few weeks

We have big big problems if we don't win the league this season, it will probably involve a huge rebuild on small funds.

Goldson has to go if he dosent sign a contract, head is in the sand.

I'd say Kamara, as way he is going were going to get next to nothing for him.

Cant afford to sell Barisic, as Bassey is hopeless.

Potentially Morelos, but who do we take in to replace?

It's clear this team has ran its course and we need to sell at least 3-4 players. We wont make enough on selling one player imo. I dont see us selling anyone in this squad for over 10m so its going to take a few sales. Morelos, Kamara and Hagi maybe?
Unfortunately we don’t get to select the players other teams bid for. I can see another bid for Patterson based on potential and maybe Aribo for his recent performances.

The major issue is nobody tried to buy any of our players after an unbeaten domestic season and strong Euro campaign. If there wasn’t any interest in the summer there certainly won’t be now!

Whoever another club tables a bid for.

I'd probably keep Helander, Barasic, Patterson, Davis, Aribo, Kent, Morelos, Bassey, Wright, Arfield, Sakala & the keepers after that last night.

I like Tav but for every assist he seems to do something woeful at the back and has lost pace. Fair play to him last night he had big balls stepping up for that pen.

I think him & Goldson have been awful this season.

Goldson has been woeful so let him go to the championship or league 1. He's not bigger than the club and trying to hold us to ransom.

Hagi either assists or does absolutely nothing and it's mostly the latter and he looks like he's towing a caravan every time he runs.

Kamara is technically good but McGregor probably has more assists so I'd probably sell him as you'd get decent money for him.

Obviously Lundstrum won't be getting moved on but I'm not a fan of his either a gust of wind can take him of balance sometimes and he seems to play too deep.

Not seen enough of Bacuna.

Arfield is off from just now but I don't know what we expect with 10 or 15 minutes here and there. He is the only midfielder who is actually a threat and tries to get in the box.

Selling Patterson in January would represent a massive failure in our transfer strategy IMO.

I don't care how it's spun.
DOF Wilson was going to be the man to make that work... His signings are no better(I would argue worse) than Mark Allen's and he hasn't sold a player of note for good money.

I'd probably keep Helander, Barasic, Patterson, Davis, Aribo, Kent, Morelos, Bassey, Wright, Arfield, Sakala & the keepers after that last night.

I like Tav but for every assist he seems to do something woeful at the back and has lost pace. Fair play to him last night he had big balls stepping up for that pen.

I think him & Goldson have been awful this season.

Goldson has been woeful so let him go to the championship or league 1. He's not bigger than the club and trying to hold us to ransom.

Hagi either assists or does absolutely nothing and it's mostly the latter and he looks like he's towing a caravan every time he runs.

Kamara is technically good but McGregor probably has more assists so I'd probably sell him as you'd get decent money for him.

Obviously Lundstrum won't be getting moved on but I'm not a fan of his either a gust of wind can take him of balance sometimes and he seems to play too deep.

Not seen enough of Bacuna.

Arfield is off from just now but I don't know what we expect with 10 or 15 minutes here and there. He is the only midfielder who is actually a threat and tries to get in the box.
The problem is you could go right through the full squad and say how they are off form and point out their weaknesses.

I mean Aribo. He has all the ability in the world, he’s been here a few seasons now and should be running amok, but we only get to see flashes of it.

The problem is you could go right through the full squad and say how they are off form and point out their weaknesses.

I mean Aribo. He has all the ability in the world, he’s been here a few seasons now and should be running amok, but we only get to see flashes of it.
I think it doesn't help when they have 10 men behind the ball either with our movement being so predictable & poor. I think he can thrive in the correct team.

The realisation we’re not good enough to win the league, and the £40m, and it’ll be a case of anyone we can get money for.

Patterson, Hagi, Kent, Morelos, Kamara & Barisic. Take your pick.

Arfield played most games last season, yet not this season. This season we are poor, last season we were great. Get Arfield playing as he is perfectly suited for the Scottish game.

What we want and what the market wants are two different things - apart from Patterson where do we think we would get any worthwhile cash? Hagi?

Back