Who is actually a protestant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Protestant and proud of it.
Don't attend church that often but I do believe in good Christian values and what the bible teaches but then it's open to different interpretations.
Religion like all things in life isn't just black and white there is a lot of grey areas use your own initiative but try to do what is right.

I've never known a non-practicing Muslim observe Ramadan. Nobody claims to be culturally Muslim.
I do. Work with a few, friends with a couple. Brought up in Muslim practicing houses, same as many of us were brought up in C of S houses, but have modern lives and don't practise themselves. Same with the Hindus I work with.

The Jews do it best. To me Judaism is a religion but not to most Jews. I have known agnostic and atheist Jews but they all identify as Jewish.

We need to start embracing the fact that we might not be religious but we are culturally Protestant.

I like this and I suspect many others will too.

It does however give a reason for the continued promotion of catholic schools as, given falling attendances at their churches, whatever other reason could there be?

why do people need to be so disrespectful on this subject?

That’s the point I was trying to make, I’m not going out my way to be disrespectful, but it’s the truth as I see it, and unfortunately it offends some people.

Flip it round - I feel every bit as strongly on this as you do from the opposite point of view, possibly more so.

If I apologised, I’d be a hypocrite.

Like, a card carrying full on member of the church of Scotland with a belief in a Christian god? I know there will be many on the forum, but hear me out.

For me (an agnostic in all honesty), I don't consider myself to have a faith. Yea my birth certificate will say church of Scotland at the behest of my parents, but I've not entered a church (bar weddings etc) since I was 5, and I went to a non denominational school, despite some attempts to call these 'proddie schools' in my youth.

Indeed, it would seem that because im white and not a catholic, the default in Scotland is to assume I am therefore a protestant. I've always found that strange, especially where football is concerned, as it tends to simplify the debate and the narrative.

I don't hate Catholics, I've got friends, I have family, I've had lovers, that are catholic. I don't really like Celtic though, the football club. I don't like them not because they're catholic, but because im a rangers fan. I've been indoctrinated a rangers fan, but that's ok, because it is only football, its never been protestant v catholic for me, it's just been about MY football team.

So why do we all get lumped in as one? I've always thought and still believe that the rangers support is a very broad religious make up of protestant, catholic (there are some), Jewish, Muslim, Sikh, atheists and agnostics, certainly more so than the side from the east end who seem to operate a hive mentality

When it comes to the current situation though the whole support is demonised as religiously motivated, when I strongly suspect that's not the case, and it suits a media agenda set by whom im not so sure (although I can guess)

I think it makes it easier for the media to label us sectarian if the polarise opinion and cause the assumption that every single supporter is a religious nut job (you are a rangers fan therefore you are a protestant therefore you hate catholics - I don't think they're mutually exclusive)

It's a strange country.

Sorry for that long post I've not even started drinking yet (perhaps I should!)

Christened in The Salvation Army in Drumchapel. Went to Sunday School and BB in Yoker so was brought up with Church Of Scotland but haven't been to Church. Was a member of Orange Order and now lapsed but have no appetite to go back even though it is under attack. I don't attend Church and would not want to be a hypocrite.

We as a Culture are basically heading towards Aetheism whereas they are slowly changing their doctrine to adapt to the times and will be not far off Protestant beliefs eventually in my opinion.

I don’t think the poster meant to be disrespectful but if someone said to me that they were in the pub last night and a guy bought a glass of water and turned it into wine I would be having doubts about his state of mind.

I belong to the reformed faith, a Mason, Orange and Black. I don't consider myself a bigot and respect the views of all our fans. There's a lot like me, 61 years old, who feel we are becoming marginalised in 2019 Scotland.

Protestant and proud of it.
Don't attend church that often but I do believe in good Christian values and what the bible teaches but then it's open to different interpretations.
Religion like all things in life isn't just black and white there is a lot of grey areas use your own initiative but try to do what is right.

I second that. Me too.

I was christened in the Church of Scotland. I don’t attend church and I live in England and have for a decade. I am a Freemason as was my father and his father.

I consider myself Protestant. I consider Scotland and the United Kingdom Protestant countries. I don’t consider myself a “bigot”.

I was baptised Episcopalian in an Episcopalian Church here in Glasgow, never been religious, but I can relate to where you're coming from.

I don’t think the poster meant to be disrespectful but if someone said to me that they were in the pub last night and a guy bought a glass of water and turned it into wine I would be having doubts about his state of mind.

calling people mentally ill is disrespectful imo

My parents come from a mixed religious tradition but both were atheist. I was never baptised but participated in school or scouts religious activities, usually CoS. However, I consider myself an atheist and have done for most of my life.

Being a Protestant is about now you live your life . respect you have for parents and family , and how you treat others. I dont hate Catholics but despise a Church which is hypocritical and is now being exposed daily - I do hate Celtic fans do not have anything to do with them anymore. I also hate their club for all the deceit and lies and their power over football.

I am not a hateful person bur find it hard when it comes to them

I’m not, grew up as one and went to all the things. Made an informed decision as an adult.

People can choose to live their life as they please and belittling someone for having a belief that you don’t hold is not right.

I’m not a Christian but if someone else wants to be and because of that it makes them a better person. Then bully for them.

To me, Christianity just seems complete BS.

Having done some reasearch into the religion I discovered a validated view claiming the whole thing mimics ancient astrotheology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back