who was been to a match in South America and how was it?

aghalee_hero

Official Ticketer
Read a book or two about Argentine football and there is something about the fanaticism there that really grabs me. In Europe, for me it's the UK and Italy then in South America, Argentina and to a lesser extent Brazil (fan culture wise anyway in regards to Brazil).

With a second baby en route I don't think I am going to get to a game down there any time soon, so I am reduced to reading your stories and watching video's on youtube! I'm hoping to maybe get to the 2026 World Cup and see some national team fans as well as they just bring something so much different to the tournaments.

So tell us where have you been, how was it? When was it? What's the match day experience like? Atmosphere? Drinks before? How were you welcomed (or not welcomed) as a foreigner?

Been living half an hour from the Maracana for the past two years and ashamed to say I've only been to one game there (though its been closed for COVID for over a year). That was the Quarter final of 2019 Copa America, Argentina 2 Venezuela 0.

I went to see Flamenco v Fluminese at the Maracanã with Ronnie Biggs back in 1987!! The atmosphere, noise and colour was nbelievable and it was the most entertaining 0-0 game I’ve ever seen.
In 2017 I went to see Boca juniors stuff Independiente 3-0.
Probably the most hostile atmosphere I’ve ever been in and the Boca fans did not stop jumping up and down and singing all the way through the game.
I was with a couple of other Europeans and when I said I was Rangers they definitely knew us.
Absolutely loved the pre-match steakhouse across the road.
Very hospitable but you would not want to stick around too late after a game!!!

Just saw that they are allowing some fans into the Copa America final tomorrow night, up to 7,800 people. Wonder what the chances are of getting in if i just turn up....?

I went to see Flamenco v Fluminese at the Maracanã with Ronnie Biggs back in 1987!! The atmosphere, noise and colour was nbelievable and it was the most entertaining 0-0 game I’ve ever seen.
In 2017 I went to see Boca juniors stuff Independiente 3-0.
Probably the most hostile atmosphere I’ve ever been in and the Boca fans did not stop jumping up and down and singing all the way through the game.
I was with a couple of other Europeans and when I said I was Rangers they definitely knew us.
Absolutely loved the pre-match steakhouse across the road.
Very hospitable but you would not want to stick around too late after a game!!!

How did you end up going with Ronnie Biggs? Was it an organised thing he was charging money for? I took a wander past his old house a couple of weeks ago, could still recognise it from various videos like when the Happy Mondays went to a party there with him...

Went to a river boca game at el monumental in 2016. Closest atmosphere to an old firm I've experienced and light years ahead of big derby's in England I've been to.

Devastated that the game was one of only 0-0 encounters there's been in past decade, but it was still some experience. At seat two hours before kick off, stadium full and fireworks, flares the lot.

Did a stadium tour of la bombonera (bocas ground) and the way that's set up, I'd imagine atmosphere is even better.

I paid a bit extra to do it with a tour bus, so was more of a day trip (meet for breakfast and beers etc). Don't think I'd have sat in the river end (was behind the goals with the 5/10 nutters... there were worse sections) on my own!

Went to Argentina vs Bosnia in the Maracana and Columbia vs Greece in the Mineirao at the 2014 World Cup and the 2016 Argentina vs Chile Copa America Final in New York.

The Argentina fans create some atmosphere. Never stoped singing for the whole game and outside the stadium was mobbed about 3 hours before the game

The party in one of the main squares in Belo Horizonte the night before the game (and the night after) was sensational. Thousand upon thousands of Columbians mixing with people from all over the world.

Would love to go back to see some club football.

Been living half an hour from the Maracana for the past two years and ashamed to say I've only been to one game there (though its been closed for COVID for over a year). That was the Quarter final of 2019 Copa America, Argentina 2 Venezuela 0.
Cos I’m a nosey bugger…what you doing over in Brazil?what’s time difference for Gers matches?

Went to a river boca game at el monumental in 2016. Closest atmosphere to an old firm I've experienced and light years ahead of big derby's in England I've been to.

Devastated that the game was one of only 0-0 encounters there's been in past decade, but it was still some experience. At seat two hours before kick off, stadium full and fireworks, flares the lot.

Did a stadium tour of la bombonera (bocas ground) and the way that's set up, I'd imagine atmosphere is even better.

I paid a bit extra to do it with a tour bus, so was more of a day trip (meet for breakfast and beers etc). Don't think I'd have sat in the river end (was behind the goals with the 5/10 nutters... there were worse sections) on my own!
Did you feel welcomed or was everyone to caught up going mental to notice?

Never been to a game, but I was lucky enough to coincide a business trip to Rio during the group stages of the 2010 World Cup and attended the Fifa fan zone on Copa Cabana Beach. Watched Brazil's games against the Ivory Coast and Portugal and they had a capacity of 25,000 on the biggest screen I have ever seen. Brilliant experience. I was there for a week and the country practically shut down for the football, so I only actually worked for two days.

Ive been to loads of matches. For me the best atmosphere are the colo colo games

Ive been to about a dozen Chile games and the atmosphere has been fantastic

Who's your local team mate? Colo Colo are the only team in Chile that really stand out to me.

Went to Brazil on holiday a number of years ago. When I was in Rio, I wanted to see a game at the Maracana, so ended up going to see Flamengo vs Paysandu. Not a big game so there was only around 15k in the stadium. Still made a lot of noise. Sounded like 40k.

Went to a midweek game in Buenos Aires, San Lorenzo v Rosario Central.

The fans were incredible, at the start of the game there was a big space behind the goal, in the concourse the noise slowly built and built until they all came bouncing in. They bounced the whole game. There were about 2,000 Rosario fans behind the opposite goal. Mental. Loved it.

The next week we went to the Monumentale for Argentina v Colombia in a WC qualifier. Very few Colombians there but the atmosphere and stadium itself, with planes flying overhead into the domestic airport, were amazing.

All in all I fell in love with the place, fans and everything about it.

Not been in South America but the Serbs, Greeks and Turks are nuts about their football too when talking about Europe.

Read a book or two about Argentine football and there is something about the fanaticism there that really grabs me. In Europe, for me it's the UK and Italy then in South America, Argentina and to a lesser extent Brazil (fan culture wise anyway in regards to Brazil).

With a second baby en route I don't think I am going to get to a game down there any time soon, so I am reduced to reading your stories and watching video's on youtube! I'm hoping to maybe get to the 2026 World Cup and see some national team fans as well as they just bring something so much different to the tournaments.

So tell us where have you been, how was it? When was it? What's the match day experience like? Atmosphere? Drinks before? How were you welcomed (or not welcomed) as a foreigner?
Went to see Fluminese v Sau Pauli at Maracana, fluminese have a real small support for using the maracana only about 15k there but the atmosphere they created was fantastic stadium was okay but had already done the tour there was after the WC had been held there

Not personally, but my mate has been to Cali, Medellin, Buenos Aires, Sao Paolo and Rio. A game in Chile too but cant mind what city.

He says the Colombian games were his favourite but for sheer noise and colour it was BA.

Been to see Famemco v Botafogo in the Maracana,
Stadium is crumbling a bit, but a great night out n the core of the Flamenco support,
Rio is just a great city to be in, football, bars, beach, incredible women, what's not to like?

Been to a few matches in Buenos Aries - Boca v River, San Lorenzo v River, Independiente v Newells, Banfield v San Martin, Estudiantes v Libertad. This was all in 08/09. Also went to Rosario with the aim of going to the Derby but couldn't get in, only match I have tried to get to in the world and never been offered a ticket.

They were all good and had their own character. My fav was Independiente v Newells, this was played at Racing as Independientes Stadium was being done up - it's only 5 mins walk away. I didn't think I was going to get in but went to the away end and this Copper let me in, it was crazy - they were 3 down at half time but never shut up all match, rough lot - the food kiosks were just getting robbed by them non stop.

San Lorenzo v River was a cracker, Copa Lib 1st leg - Simeone was Manager of River at the time. Went in away end, just turned up and paid 3 quid to get in, place was rammed and SL won with a last minute penalty.

Boca v River was also very good, went on like a backpacker trip, cost 40 quid. We were in 2 hours before kick off and under the River fans, getting pissed on and having chairs thrown down all match.

I also did a day trip by Ferry to Montevideo and went to Nacional and Penarol and had a look at their Stadiums and Museum's, just turned up and they let me in. Was on the pitch at Nacional.

Had bad luck in Santiago - we were following Oasis around and seen them there and were meant to be going to Colo Colo v Everton but it was called off the day before. Went to the Stadium and it was good, would loved to have seen a match there. Also bad luck in Rio, went to the Stadium an hour before Flamengo v Santos, place was dead and me Sister asked a Copper the sp - was behind closed doors due to previous crowd trouble! Got a Taxi to Botofogo's Ground and they were just finishing as we arrived!

Seeing a match at Newells and one at the Azteca are the two ones I really want to do in South America - hoping to do a 3 week tour there in the next few years.

I went to Argentina in 1978 & was there for the full duration of the tournament
It was only international matches we seen but the fans were absolutely mental & all of them seemed sober
I was skint by the time the final came around & a well dressed Argentinian in our hotel offered me $1000 American dollars for my ticket.
I didn't sell it & went to the game

I went to Argentina in 1978 & was there for the full duration of the tournament
It was only international matches we seen but the fans were absolutely mental & all of them seemed sober
I was skint by the time the final came around & a well dressed Argentinian in our hotel offered me $1000 American dollars for my ticket.
I didn't sell it & went to the game
I bet that was some experience, bloody hell.

Did you feel welcomed or was everyone to caught up going mental to notice?
Sort of ignored really. A few odd looks but mostly everyone was going tonto at everything on the park so it was fine.

There was an Irish lad next to me who had a rolex on and was swiftly told to take it off...

They'd also only just recently banned away fans too - so imagine it'd have been even more mental with boca fans there.

How did you end up going with Ronnie Biggs? Was it an organised thing he was charging money for? I took a wander past his old house a couple of weeks ago, could still recognise it from various videos like when the Happy Mondays went to a party there with him...
It is a long story.
The quick version is that I was doing a charity jailbreak to get as far away from the UK in 24 hours as I could for nothing. ITV telethon if anybody can remember it!!
I was a journalist at the time and managed to persuade British Airways to give me a ticket to Rio.
By pure coincidence, and it only happened a couple of days before I left, somebody tipped me off that Ronnie’s family members had heard about this and wanted family pictures taken that could be given to him.
As a consequence, I also took a Photographer, and we took a lot of pictures of his aunt, nephews and nieces and grand nieces.
This led to us meeting up and spending a week together.
What a complete blast. The guy was a real character, very hospitable and very funny.
And did he know Rio de Janeiro!!

Boca Tour is excellent, loads in the Museum as well.

I also attended what I think from memory was his 59th birthday party and there was lots of interesting characters there to say the least.
He had just finished making a rather poor movie called something like prisoner of Rio and a number of the lovely female participants were in attendance.
He was clearly enjoying life over there although he did say he always planned to go back to the UK to die.

When I was in Rio I paid this Guide about £100 to take me to all kinds of places one morning - was only there for 3 days so wanted to cram as much in as possible, Biggs House was one we missed off due to time. Went to Rochina Favela and that was some experience. If i ever want back I would try and go and watch a match at Vasco De Gama myself.

O Higgins are the only team in the city where I live. Theyve got a cracking wee stadium as well. They let you use the running track during the day as well.

Forgot about them, that Bernardo O'Higgins who they are named after sounds an interesting character.

Maracana to see Flamenco in the Copa Libertadores in 2019, the season they won it. Full house, great atmosphere and fans behind the team for 90 minutes.

O Higgins are the only team in the city where I live. Theyve got a cracking wee stadium as well. They let you use the running track during the day as well.
I remember you saying you don't drink mate so hope this isn't insensitive but can you drink in Stadiums in Chile? Always interested to know how each Nation does it.

Always been really interested in the culture surrounding football in south America. You see it with their national teams, the passion they have for them is unrivalled. Would love to go and take in different games, especially a Superclásico.

I remember you saying you don't drink mate so hope this isn't insensitive but can you drink in Stadiums in Chile? Always interested to know how each Nation does it.
Good question mate but I cant remember if they sold booze or not. Ill find out today.

What they do have though is similar to the macaroon and tablet seller we used to have at Ibrox.
They carry their wee boxes selling drinks and sweets.

Was in Brazil for Rock in Rio 2019. Went to see Fluminese v Botofogo at the Olympic Stadium.

Wasn’t much of a crowd but ended up in with the Fluminese ultras.

Pretty entertaining and there’s guys going up and down the stairs selling beer.

Didn’t think it was a great match but Fluminese won 1-0, and they stayed in the stadium after the match to celebrate.

Seems like in argentina the Fans recognise their atmosphere can affect games and are willing to back the team till the final whistle rather than throw hissys at them? Anyone experienced the home team playing bad or going a goal or 2 down?

this south american clip always stands out to me

And the First clip in this San lorenzo compilation

Watched Atletico Paranaense v Internacional on a warm sunny Sunday night, massive cups of beer, Oscar who went onto Chelsea was playing with Inter at the time, 1-0 Inter it ended

Went to some Gremio games in Porto Alegre, 2012-2015, in the old Olympico and the new Arena stadium, atmosphere is as good outside the stadium as it is inside.
Tickets easy to get outside the stadium, from £20-£30.
The ultras have first dibs on the safe standing area behind the goals in the Arena.

Aye so they think, you should have went up and told them to do one. B-D

Argentina was a trip I had planned, but just never got round to booking about 10 years ago. Life kinda got in the way and although it’s always been in the back of my mind, never really made serious plans to go. This thread has definitely reignited some of those plans though! Would love to do a football tourist trip down there squeezing in as many games as possible. No idea the best time to go for fixtures and the libatadores, weather, etc. Next problem would be convincing the Mrs to let me go…..

Went to an Argies game at the 98 France World Cup - was something else! Bastistuta & Ortega were immense! Fans were brilliant too - so much colour & noise.

I've seen Ecuador destroy bigger teams at home, and LDU Quito in the domestic league. I don't think beer is allowed now, but a few years ago it was mental. Also, there are still no crowds as far as I know.

Yes, thats him, He was a fanny IMO. He shat it from the Spanish mob, hid in a church, and got bevied, down the road from me,

:D Brilliant historical overview!

With the wife and her family all being Boca, La Bombonera is the only ground I've been to. Hopefully I can persuade them to go elsewhere in a future visit.

No away fans have been allowed in the time I've been going (except for Copa Libertadores) but there is still significant security as you approach the stadium.

Streets are blocked off and you go through a security check where they ask for an Argentine ID number (or in my instance, passport). As you get nearer, there are two more rounds of security and questioning.

All good, though. I've never felt intimidated. The surrounding streets aren't the greatest, although that has changed lately with regeneration and the contemporary art museum nearby. I'd still be wary at night, though.

:D Brilliant historical overview!

With the wife and her family all being Boca, La Bombonera is the only ground I've been to. Hopefully I can persuade them to go elsewhere in a future visit.

No away fans have been allowed in the time I've been going (except for Copa Libertadores) but there is still significant security as you approach the stadium.

Streets are blocked off and you go through a security check where they ask for an Argentine ID number (or in my instance, passport). As you get nearer, there are two more rounds of security and questioning.

All good, though. I've never felt intimidated. The surrounding streets aren't the greatest, although that has changed lately with regeneration and the contemporary art museum nearby. I'd still be wary at night, though.
Same here that as well, mate. Its for arms and food as well.

I once went in with a few cans of coke. I took off my top, rolled the cans in them, put my arms out holding my top as they patted me down, just breezed in with the cans LOL

Went to quite a few games when working in Brazil, early 80s - OK.

Went to a Barcelona (Guayaquil, Ecuador) game mid-80s - absolutely terrifying!

Finally got to see River v Boca in 2012 (2-2 at Monumental with away fans) - a real eye opener.

Went to Everton v Concepcion (Sausalito Stadium, Vina Del Mar) in 2012 - brilliant.

Went to Iquique v Rangers in 2012 - brilliant.

Back