Who was the last decent referee in Scottish football?

im not quite getting dallas being so favourable on here. His performance in the 2nd half of the 3-0 game against the mentally challengeds was simply cheating, crapping out of kerr never mind the rest of the 2nd half. He was subsequently shite after this against us as well imo
I never said he was favourable, that’s not what any ref should be but compared to the utter shytebags now who simply can’t officiate on a game in a fair and balanced manner Dallas was well above these clowns.

Funny enough that was my first thought as well.
Totally different game when Tiny was refereeing, he never left the centre circle. Good story from years ago when someone asked who was the ref for the New Year derby against the rheptiles, Davy Wilson replied, Tiny blows the whistle to start the game and then Slim Jim takes over.

Hugh Dallas.

Pierluigi Collina, best referee I have seen I think (us v PSV Eindhoven in the Champions League), thought enough of him to take him away to a top job with UEFA in Switzerland after he was hounded out of the SFA by the scum. Collina rated him highly, that says something.
I am sure Dallas was the fourth official when Collina reffed a world cup final

Dallas was the last ref who ran the games objectively. And they couldn’t wait to get rid. Quelle surprise!

And anybody putting Wullie Young up for this, Jesus H. Christ. He was the biggest balloon since Branson crossed the Atlantic.

Hugh Dallas. He was the best we had in my generation. I’m in my late 30s. The best ref I used to get told was tiny Wharton. I worked in his house years ago, not long before he died. Was a cracking old boy as well, had some great stories about reffing in brazil and Spain etc. The older guys didn’t take shit from anyone, they reffed the game fairly. Guys nowadays are all scared to make the right call or the honest call incase it upsets the other side or whatever. And of course we see the unseen 19th Century Terrorist hand appear on most refs shoulders these days as well, making sure everything is settled for the bheasts.

He wasn't Scottish but the last decent referee I recall was in charge of the Barnstoneworth United v Brighouse match 1935.

Willie young was too fat.
Liked the sound of his own voice as well.

I remember him reffing a match at Ibrox against the sheepshaggers in early 2003 and watching him trying to keep up with play was absolutely laughable.

Talking of Willie Young reminded me of the time he got an electric shock while putting his earpiece in.

That is hilarious, don't remember that. How Willie Young passed the fitness criteria for grade 1 officials I will never know.

Apart from cheats Kenny McLean and Craig Thomson the last generation of refs weren't as bad as this. Now they are all dodgy Rangers haters.

I agree with all who have posted Hugh Dallas.

The facts back this up, the facts being that the mentally challengeds cut his head with coins, panned his windows and ultimately got him sacked for emailing a harmless joke.

He must have been doing something right (and therefore wrong in mentally challengedworld.)

Dallas .

Of the current crop , Walsh is the most improved . I’m keepinG my eye on him as I know he isn’t one of us , however he’s come on leaps and bounds so credit where it’s due .
Nick Walsh’s family are very blue minded. Obviously as a referee he has to be impartial but I know what side of the fence he would lean on...

I always remember my old man talking about 'Masonic referees'

He said he watched Hibs players physically (he mentioned Lawrie Reilly specifically) in a Scottish Cup tie against Rangers and grabbing the referee by the throat. I'm sure it was a semi final at Hampden in 1958.

And he did sod all. And that was in the 50s. Possibly Bobby Davidson.

I saw Bobby Davidson, curiously enough in 1974 when we played Hibs in a LC section tie at Ibrox, and there was no way he was giving us a goal when DJ smashed a shot off the crossbar.

Did it cross the line? I don't know, but he was never giving it anyway.

Tiny Wharton, one of us?
Sod that.
Alex McDonald gets sent off at the scum hut but Jim Brogan doesn't?

John Paterson?

Brian McGinlay?

And what Ludge was Valentine a member of?

The list goes on and on.

As my old man said; 'Masonic referees? Not one of these ratbags done us a turn'.

But compared to Midden and Beaton they are paragons of virtue. What is happening in the present day is off the scale.

Willie Young and Hugh Dallas we’re both good refs , Young was slow but a very good player management Ref and didn’t have his book out all the time

I have seen it, but I don't believe it.

Young and Dallas were a pair of scumbags.

And if you think they were good in regards our club then we exist in different universes.

Wee Mike McCurry was decent. Chased out the game by the Filth, aided by the SFA. Maybe others on here can recall the details better. I'm sure he's still a Baptist minister.

Was about to say Rev Brother Mike McCurry.

Too Orange and Protestant for the poets in High Places.

Dallas wasn't a scumbag but he was up his own arse. He did us alright in May 99 ;).

Actually he didn't.

Why was Stewart Kerr allowed to stay on the park at the scum hut that same month?

Surely you don't mean Dallas, not giving the filth a penalty that wasn't anyway,is a measure of him being good?

Dallas might have forwarded on a good email, but other than that, he was a ratbag.

Let's be honest, when it comes to referees, some people will never forget mistakes and call them all cheating bar stewards. Personally I don't mind beaton, madden and Walsh. They all talk to players through the game and dont just act like the game revolves around them. They make mistakes but I think they are genuine mistakes and not 'out to get us' as many think.

In the past I was happy getting Dallas and dougie McDonald. Thought they were decent.

Back