Who was the last decent referee in Scottish football?

Hugh Dallas is the answer

what I can’t understand is the high regard Collum seems to be held in within UEFA etc

Always thought brothers Kenny & Dougie Hope were fair and tried to treat players with a bit of humour, rather than taking centre stage.

The fact they seldom get talked about, suggests they were doing something right.

sport-shutterstock-editorial-3155626a.jpg

Honestly think we have some good referees in the league now .
Reason I say that if you look at the controversial decisions leat year the refs are mostly in very good position to analyse the incident . So that tells me they know the game.
Now we go to the problem what do they do with what they have seen . Some are undoubted cheats McLean comes to mind . The vast majority are cowards ,they have seen what liewells cohorts in the press have done when they don't tow the party line ,they try to destroy their reputation , if that does not work they let the groin brigade lose to intimidate them and their families. And the press actively encourage this no other country would let this happen .

Got to be Hugh Dallas although sadly his son is nowhere near as good.
Jim McCluskey was pretty decent as well.
Could never go Davie Syme and Andrew Waddell was simply a prick

I don't get the admiration, for want of a better word, for Hugh Dallas. He was the first of the "look at me" officials. Yes, he was successful but he was not a patch on his predecessors.

Guys like Jim McCluskey, Dougie & Kenny Hope, Brian McGinlay etc were the last of the good referees. They still had stinkers and made mistakes like we all do but in general they communicated constantly with players and had their respect whilst treating them as adults.

Today it is a rarity to see a referee speak to a player properly. Regardless of what many feel about their qualities only really Madden & Beaton have any sort of rapport with players on the pitch. The rest are aloof and ignorant towards players.

Hugh Dallas.

Pierluigi Collina, best referee I have seen I think (us v PSV Eindhoven in the Champions League), thought enough of him to take him away to a top job with UEFA in Switzerland after he was hounded out of the SFA by the scum. Collina rated him highly, that says something.
He always wanted him as his 4 official. Dallas is one of the only Scottish referee's who was well respected internationally, so of course Celtic hounded him out. Called it fair and down the middle. If you are calling it fair and not in Celtic's favour, you are anti Celtic and if you don't start favouring them, then you deserve to have your life destroyed by their inTIMidation and bullying.

Had quite a few of them in my work in their other job capacity - young thompson mcdougall dallas etc - and theyve all got the same manner about them - School teachery bossy types. Why on earth anyone would want to do it escapes me. You dont notice a good ref, you notice a bad one. I could never stick Thompson, absolutely hated him and he couldnt wait to book kevin thomson any time we had him.

Hugh Dallas and Brian McGinley were the last two Scottish refs who were genuinely World Class and rewarded with big games outside of Scotland. That tells its own story. We can all recall their mistakes against Rangers, but over their careers they were consistently good.

Les Mottram and David Syme :D

Too young to really know how good or bad they were. Just felt like throwing in a couple names I remember from back in the day

Don’t know if some are at the wind up here or on the Sherry but we have
Clancy’s a good ref
Nick Walsh is a good ref
Willie Young and the fisherman with Craig Thomson.
Probably the most recent acceptable referee was Dallas and we know who ran him out of town.

Don’t know if some are at the wind up here or on the Sherry but we have
Clancy’s a good ref
Nick Walsh is a good ref
Willie Young and biggest laugh I got was Craig fecking Thomson.
Probably the most recent acceptable referee was Dallas and we know who ran him out of town.

im not quite getting dallas being so favourable on here. His performance in the 2nd half of the 3-0 game against the mentally challengeds was simply cheating, crapping out of kerr never mind the rest of the 2nd half. He was subsequently shite after this against us as well imo

This for me, too, at the opposite end is MacLean, just in front of Madden. NW doesn't do us any favours but that's not what we're looking for. If MacLean had refereed v Hibs last week Porteous would have finished the game.
Most of our referees are cowards or cheats, depending the situation but I agree McLean is the worst of the lot.
I don’t think I’ve seen a referee look so disinterested in doing his job, he just swans about ignoring absolute thuggery.

OTL once said that Bobby Madden was as good a Ref as Mark Clattenberg., :oops:
Let that sink in.

He used to defend the indefensible.

Can understand his point he can do a good job reffin games, Madden has made it to the top in Scotland and done plenty of euro fixtures..... hes no crap ref.

Hes incredibly biased against Rangers though and is pretty good at bending the rules.

Back