Why are we the way we are?

SFraser3

Let’s be honest for a second, it’s been extremely difficult to be a Rangers fan the past 15 years. Even the last few title wins under Walter we knew dark days were ahead, although no one could imagine how dark they’ve been. With the exception of 55 and getting to the Europa League final it’s been bleak. Even at that 55 was won with no fans and we lost the final.

My question is why is it we keep getting dragged back into these awful situations? We’ve been back in the top flight for some time. Since then we’ve been in a constant loop of building for something that’s returned next to nothing domestically. We spend a fortune for no success, sell some players, lose some players for free then spend a fortune again. How long can this continue for before the club cannot afford to buy new players?

Although the fans are loyal and we keep putting our hands in our pockets for season tickets, merchandise and hospitality I feel people are at their wits end with the team. Another year for any of Tav, Goldson, Roofe or a contract for Lundstram or Jack will send many over the edge.

How do we break this horrendous cycle?

Held onto some players for a few seasons too many, poor managerial choices after Gerard, a lack of any real quality in the final third and gift easy goals, a lacklustre midfield that get over run in almost every old firm. Hopefully we see Clement backed in the summer and we can push on. We’ve still a cup final to win

Let’s be honest for a second, it’s been extremely difficult to be a Rangers fan the past 15 years. Even the last few title wins under Walter we knew dark days were ahead, although no one could imagine how dark they’ve been. With the exception of 55 and getting to the Europa League final it’s been bleak. Even at that 55 was won with no fans and we lost the final.

My question is why is it we keep getting dragged back into these awful situations? We’ve been back in the top flight for some time. Since then we’ve been in a constant loop of building for something that’s returned next to nothing domestically. We spend a fortune for no success, sell some players, lose some players for free then spend a fortune again. How long can this continue for before the club cannot afford to buy new players?

Although the fans are loyal and we keep putting our hands in our pockets for season tickets, merchandise and hospitality I feel people are at their wits end with the team. Another year for any of Tav, Goldson, Roofe or a contract for Lundstram or Jack will send many over the edge.

In May 2011, I had absolutely no thoughts whatsoever that any type of bad days were ahead of us.

Boardroom mismanagement. Having bedwetters the likes of Stewart Robertson, Bisgrove etc. making decisions

Definitely think this is part of the problem. Need professional drive from top to bottom throughout the club.

The idea we can have highly paid professionals turning up overweight like last season is just unacceptable.

Any lack of drive, ill discipline, negative attitude and lack of professionalism needs routed out of the club from top to bottom. Being ruthless will be the only way back to the top.

Held onto some players for a few seasons too many, poor managerial choices after Gerard, a lack of any real quality in the final third and gift easy goals, a lacklustre midfield that get over run in almost every old firm. Hopefully we see Clement backed in the summer and we can push on. We’ve still a cup final to win
Failed to back Gerrard yet gave his replacements a small fortune to waste. We're mismanaged all over the place

Scottish football revolves around two teams. When one gets treated the way we were in 2012 then it is inevitable a huge gap opens. Celtic were given a straight entry to CL cash for nearly a decade.

The 55 season should have been the start of the reset although Kings wild statement about Celtic folding like a pack of cards wasn’t helpful for fan expectations. We should have won the EL but we definitely looked like Rangers again.

We had the perfect window in terms of cash coming in but didn’t back GVB despite CL qualification. Beale was a disaster and he reversed all the momentum by having a dreadful summer window where we signed some very average players and didn’t replace those on their last legs.

Our hands were tied in the Jan window either by FFP or that we simply didn’t have the cash. Despite that we worked the loan system well and the league was there for the taking. Disaster struck with the worst injury crisis I can remember. Yesterday we could have had a front three of Cortes, Danilo and Sima.

A lot of the issues pre date 2012. Murray originally planned that the expansion of Ibrox would mean 59500 seats then he changed it to accommodate screens. That immediately gave the scum 10000 more revenue annually. Then came 2012 the club was sold to one very “questionable” person to another. Eventually we came out of the mess but the damage over a decade was massive. When Park took over we got #55 but he reneged on backing Gerrard. So we lost the best manager we’ve had post Sir Walter. Appointing GVB was a mistake he’d left a major European club and his only job offer was China then Beale who was a coach and no more and didn’t have the gravitas to manage Rangers. As for PC I’m seeing another GVB yesterday was a masterclass in how not to manage a team at the scum hut.

Then we have the recruitment now whatever you think Tav and Goldson have been robust and been able to play. How many guys do we sign with injuries who amazingly are injured? There’s no question that playing for us requires a level of robustness above and beyond normal. Equally look at players we’ve paid fees for and compare it to them. What did they pay for O’Reilly? It’s a shambles. In my opinion we need new owners who can really invest (not looking for a return) like the rumours that Red Bull were looking to buy us. People threw their hands up in horror but why? We need radical change now.

A lot of the issues pre date 2012. Murray originally planned that the expansion of Ibrox would mean 59500 seats then he changed it to accommodate screens. That immediately gave the scum 10000 more revenue annually. Then came 2012 the club was sold to one very “questionable” person to another. Eventually we came out of the mess but the damage over a decade was massive. When Park took over we got #55 but he reneged on backing Gerrard. So we lost the best manager we’ve had post Sir Walter. Appointing GVB was a mistake he’d left a major European club and his only job offer was China then Beale who was a coach and no more and didn’t have the gravitas to manage Rangers. As for PC I’m seeing another GVB yesterday was a masterclass in how not to manage a team at the scum hut.

Then we have the recruitment now whatever you think Tav and Goldson have been robust and been able to play. How many guys do we sign with injuries who amazingly are injured? There’s no question that playing for us requires a level of robustness above and beyond normal. Equally look at players we’ve paid fees for and compare it to them. What did they pay for O’Reilly? It’s a shambles. In my opinion we need new owners who can really invest (not looking for a return) like the rumours that Red Bull were looking to buy us. People threw their hands up in horror but why? We need radical change now.
Those extra 10000 seats would have helped so much. Shocker of a decision to put the screens in instead.

Definitely think this is part of the problem. Need professional drive from top to bottom throughout the club.

The idea we can have highly paid professionals turning up overweight like last season is just unacceptable.

Any lack of drive, ill discipline, negative attitude and lack of professionalism needs routed out of the club from top to bottom. Being ruthless will be the only way back to the top.
Clement mentioned problems much wider than the coach / playing staff contributing to our injury woes that we couldn't solve "right now"

Doesn't help that we have a fanbase that accepts failure and constantly make excuses for those at the heart of it.

Clement mentioned problems much wider than the coach / playing staff contributing to our injury woes that we couldn't solve "right now"
Sometimes I wonder if he just says things for the sake of saying them.

If the club don't discard with the incompetent medical /physio team we have at Ibrox nothing will change. We will have the worse injury list in Scotland year after year.

We waste a ridiculous amount of money on a ridiculously regular basis. Numerous court cases lost, money spent on longer term projects before we've sorted the key driver of future revenue(the football side) as two examples away from the football side.

On the football side, our recruitment is consistently dire, we pay a fortune in wages to players who simply don't justify it and we have carried a massive squad full of players who are not good enough, constantly injured or both. We struggle to move those players on and we have basically only managed once to move a "sellable asset" at his peak value(Bassey). Putting so much trust in Ross Wilson was a huge error and one which has now cost us for three seasons in succession.

Great post OP. I feel exactly the same and I feel it won’t be long before we’re celebrating the odd League Cup win like it’s a huge achievement because we are so starved of success.

55 and Seville are very much feeling like outliers in amongst years of mediocrity

No stability at tye club at boardroom level, new boards have different ideas of how tye club should run. I know there’s the economic plan but we need a period of settlement. The best run clubs usually have a core of staff and board members who’ve been there for years, we continue to have staff turnover of key people at the club. Couple that with, what seems to me, Sfa, Spl officials and personal having an agenda against the club really makes for a perfect storm for them.
The club needs stability and balls to carry the fight. I’m not even sure our current board are the right folks either.

When the managing director of Rangers poses for photographs with Humza Yousaf you know the problem is more deep rooted than 90 minutes or football could solve.

We collectively pay losers like Goldson, Tav and Lundstram over 100k a week. Get the same results we always get. Spend money poorly on duds or cripples. Don’t cash in on players at maximum value for the most part to reinvest the team. The list goes on and on and on…

I get the scum have a lot more money than us due to years of free hits at CL money.

But see if we did just once what Hearts have done twice this season, and beat them, we'd be sitting level on points with them with 2 games to go. That's before you consider all the other teams that have also taken points off them.

My point is that if all these other teams, with a budget a lot less than ours, can regularly take points off celtic, they why can't we? That's literally what the difference has been this season. It's frustrating as %^*&.

We need to learn to take points from the total shite teams first and if we did we would in front of them in points

2012 didn't only have the impact of nearly destroying us. It also gave Celtic a ridiculous advantage that we haven't caught up yet. They have been able to spend silly amounts on their squad compared to us and have large cash reserves, where as despite our revenue now being similar, we have had lots of infrastructure stuff to also spend on due to the crooks we had in charge running the club into the ground.

On the field we are back to turning in seasons which historically are around title winning points averages - but we also need that lot to have a poorer season too, which they have only really done twice since we have genuinely been in a state to be competing for the title.

Won’t be a popular opinion but we are out thought and out fought at every stage.

They club refuse to call out the media and defend the club

Ceptic have placement at the top of the media, government, sfa etc and they pull these levers to gain advantages while we sit back and accept it

Been going in for years and for every overt example e.g “ tour of Japan” there are multiple examples of covert dealings e.g Dundee email”

We will never fully recover from Murray and his strategies”

This board see the fans as cash cows to be miked and for every fan who buys in to the mygers tax there is one who refuse to do so and stops going to games because they can’t get tickets.

No surprise they get 4 of the last 5 games at home and we haven’t had a Saturday home game since March

The younger supporters are being frozen out due to lack of tickets and will get out the habit of going to games

We have a fractious support with a lot of infighting and mygers have only widened the divisions

To many issues to see any resolution soon but the boards mantra is if I don’t renew my season ticket there’s someone waiting to take it

Probably being paranoid but been going to Ibrox for 45 years and travel from Essex for every home game so spend a lot of money supporting rangers and am now seriously questioning “why” when the club clearly don’t value the supporters

Boardroom mismanagement. Having bedwetters the likes of Stewart Robertson, Bisgrove etc. making decisions
Recovering from the near fatal episode with Whyte and then Green, the Easdales has taken a massive toll on the club. However we got through that and the last 4 years has seen some terrible mismanagement of funds - incl record season ticket income. Attention will turn to the Board if the summer transfer window isn’t handled properly

We need to learn to take points from the total shite teams first and if we did we would in front of them in points
I don’t think that’s our issue. We’ve taken more points against the rest than they have. The issue is that they have taken 10 points from 12 against us, meanwhile we have taken 1 point from 12.

If we won the two Ibrox old firms then they would be 4 points worse off and we’d be 5 points better off… that’s a 9 point swing and would see us sitting top of the league right now.

Ignoring the County and Dundee shambles, we thought to win the league we needed to win the last Ibrox old firm to go 5 clear. We’d probably still have needed to take something from Parkhead (say a draw) so that we had taken 4 points from 12 and them 7 from 12.

We lose games vs them we need to win. The old firm ramsey scored in, the old firm last month, the game yesterday. We went into april in both seasons believing we could be chsmpions. 2/3 games at Ibrox. We coukdnt win 1. 2/3 titles could have been very different. Could even argue last year the 2-2 old firm under beale if we win that at new year who knows. In scotland because the rest of the teams are poor if we cant beat them and we cant. Its 2 wins in 14 we wont be champions

Recovering from the near fatal episode with Whyte and then Green, the Easdales has taken a massive toll on the club. However we got through that and the last 4 years has seen some terrible mismanagement of funds - incl record season ticket income. Attention will turn to the Board if the summer transfer window isn’t handled properly
During that and subsequent periods I've avoided as much chatter about boardrooms as I can.

But I think in the past 5 or so years the Rangers support has been very forgiving on that front.

We waste a ridiculous amount of money on a ridiculously regular basis. Numerous court cases lost, money spent on longer term projects before we've sorted the key driver of future revenue(the football side) as two examples away from the football side.

On the football side, our recruitment is consistently dire, we pay a fortune in wages to players who simply don't justify it and we have carried a massive squad full of players who are not good enough, constantly injured or both. We struggle to move those players on and we have basically only managed once to move a "sellable asset" at his peak value(Bassey). Putting so much trust in Ross Wilson was a huge error and one which has now cost us for three seasons in succession.
The bit in bold was something I was talking about last week to someone. I would honestly implement a wage cap at around 20k per week with heavy bonus’ on top if we are successful. We need some hunger back, and let’s face it money is the only thing that motivates players these days.

If we are successful then great, we move the guys on and make a profit. If not then we aren’t in any more of a shite situation than we are just now, but with a massively reduced wage bill

During that and subsequent periods I've avoided as much chatter about boardrooms as I can.

But I think in the past 5 or so years the Rangers support has been very forgiving on that front.
We’ve been unbelievably patient but also have continued to step up and put money into the club. I think we’re at a tipping point this close season with them.

The bit in bold was something I was talking about last week to someone. I would honestly implement a wage cap at around 20k per week with heavy bonus’ on top of we are successful. We need some hunger back, and let’s face it money is the only thing that motivates players these days.

If we are successful then great, we move the guys on and make a profit. If not then we aren’t in any more of a shite situation than we are just now, but with a massively reduced wage bill
Some of the wages sanctioned to players has been obscene considering the return we get

Spivs set is back years but a series of dubious appointments like Pedro and Beale, wild spending on dross, a weak board who seem to get more things wrong than right and get off Scott free.

They talked about a trading model then don't take it seriously.

I've no idea what the strategy is for the club as the current one, whatever it is doesn't seem ro be working and a new ambitious, aggressive yet sensible approach is needed as plodding on as is shouldn't be an option.

We get patronising pish letters at renewal time and hear nothing on how these guys are going to take us forward.

Best in class :) remember that? Well it was nothing more than a soundbite and we hear nowt from our chairman and board.

The off field commercial approach seems to be a well set out strategy showing year on year improvement . But where is the football one ? Mediocre English championship players being given eye watering contracts , a playing wage bill higher than the tinks and no stranger strategy for cashing in on assets like Morelos, Kent etc highlights dreadful mismanagement. We have no Scottish identity anymore , I want to see more investment in identifying Scottish talent who know our club and what it means, along with young hungry foreign players we can sell on for profit, we can’t keep letting squads go on the cheap in 2 year cycles , it’s madness.

Back