Why are we the way we are?

Sometimes I think people are asking the wrong questions.

After yet another defeat to them we look back and try to work out why we haven’t taken any points once again from them and handed them another league title.

They have more money and so on are the obvious answers but take this season as an example, every game we have played them they could have put 5/6 goals past us and took maximum points but if we’d have beaten the small teams that we fucked up against again it wouldn’t have mattered.

That’s the part that worries me more at times, regardless of injuries our squad much like theirs is more than capable of beating anything this league has 9/10 times. You can go back a few seasons now and pick big games against the smaller teams that we messed up in.

I can understand why we struggle against them but not against teams like Dundee or Ross County that I can’t get. This was as close as we have came a treble in years, we could have guaranteed ourselves millions of CL cash and made our lives a whole lot easier going forward.

It just seems like Groundhog Day now going into the close season with another ‘rebuild’ on the cards with very little money. Fingers crossed big Phil can work wonders and get some gems in the door and sort the injury situation out.

Yes, the commercial side has improved and EH is now a massive asset bringing in regular revenue to the Club. This commercial mentality has to translate to the pitch now.
How much do we actually get from the 100 sponsors remember some we're scams as well and how much from Castore

I do remember the AGM and the other talk.
The post you replied to, I had concerns about the first three but not for a minute did I think it would be so catastrophic as it turned out or that Whyte was going to be what he turned out to be.
Also, the legal system fecked us big time.
As much a scumbag as he became, Murray did nothing illegal.
Financial Tribunals proved this.
It was only when the previously unheard of, in legal terms, “common sense” ruling was applied, that the Rangers lost the case.
You right Murray just did what he did through normal legal practices. But it’s his actions and character I’m talking about. Let us down completely. All good when things were going well, didn’t want to know when the going got tough. Never a Rangers man.
And why so many trust shysters that come along praising Rangers so easily I’ll never know. Whyte, Green with all their spin. Rats.
You never see the Beggars in the hands of non Beggars, regardless of what their own fans think that lot have kept a grip on their own club and are running it pretty well.

Last edited:
You right Murray just did we he did through normal legal practices. But it’s his actions and character I’m talking about. Let us down completely. All good when things were going well, didn’t want to know when the going got tough. Never a Rangers man.
And why so many trust shysters that come along praising Rangers so easily I’ll never know. Whyte, Green with all their spin. Rats.
You never see the Beggars in the hands of non Beggars, regardless of what their own fans think that lot have kept a grip on their own club and are running it pretty well.
Was McCann that bitter

That's going to happen anyway and let's be honest, nobody outside of Scotland gives a f**k about that. Says a lot about the state of the game in this country when 2 clubs are having a ding dong about most trophies won, with the rest miles behind.

It's the future we need to be putting our energies into, that's all that matters at the end of the day. In my time they have been the most successful club over the last 60 years, even when we had a bloody good team in the 60's.
All through our history we have had lean and baron spells.we went 25 years without winning the Scottish cup.we had two periods where we went 11 years and 9 years without winning the league and in much of those years we weren’t even finishing second.

Not backing Gerrard was the start of the most recent downturn. That mob were a shambles and we were absolutely flying... £10-15m spent that summer could have meant we were out of sight for a few years
Should have sold a few players after 55 when there stock was high as well for the supposedly player trading model. Only player trading model we have is one in one out the physio department

It started with the guys at the top - Murray got found out when the bank stopped writing checks and then we endured years of charlatans like Whyte, Green and Ashley. When we eventually had proper Rangers men in charge sadly they were not cut out to being on the board and we endured experiment after experiment (Pedro, Beale etc) where some worked out (Gerrard) but the rest left us in a much worse place than they came in with huge budgets spent and nothing to show for it. They also didn’t have the courage to sell the players at their peak value (Kamara, Alfie). And more controversially we as fans started worshipping players that were mediocre to the extent that the board and new management felt they were undroppable and therefore became bigger than the club itself continuing to bottle it on big occasions.

How do we get out of it? It starts with the board being honest and admitting that we may not win the league next year, that Clement is in here for the long haul and that we can't keep sacking a manager after 12 months. We then get rid of all the players who have underperformed for years (or in some cases the best part of a decade!) and yes that will include our 'but look at his numbers' captain. Our DOF then needs to make it clear to both the fans and the manager that we absolutely need to sell our better players when the value is at the maximum - whether thats Butland, Sterling or any other new player (because none of our current lot have any value) they go for big money.
No more losing Kent, Alfie, even Lundstram on free transfers. This summer needs to be the complete 'overhaul' that we've been talking about since 2021 - there should be absolutely no place in this team for Borna, Tav, Goldson, Jack, Lundstram, Roofe or Wright next season. Their contracts should either be terminated or they are punted. If we don't have a player who is yet as good as them then so be it, we develop and bring them on - short term thinking is holding us back.

And finally, we completely overhaul the youth department. Whatever we are doing just now is not working. We should be having 3-4 youth players fighting to get in the team every game and at the moment we have 1! If we do the above we can move forward as a club and get back to the dominance we should be achieving. But I fear we will start next season with Tav, Goldson, maybe even Lunny on a new contract, sack Clement when we are 8-9 points ahead behind in the league after yet another old firm defeat and repeat the cycle ad nauseum as the scum overhaul our trophy record and romp clear.

I’m absolutely scunnered today, and the worst part is it is the same story year after year after year. I’ve never actively disliked a Rangers team to the extent I do this one. Butland and Sterling aside I never want to see any of them again! I know realistically that is not possible but it has to start with us announcing tomorrow that every out of contract player will be leaving the club and that they will not play our final 3 games. Then we thank Goldson and Tav for their contribution over the years but that they are now surplus to requirements and can move for free at the end of the season.
Good post. Especially the bit about fans worshipping average players. Forget the hype just judge players on winning and winners medals.

I don't think there's anything in the red bull rumours, why a huge name like them would want to get involved in Scottish football is beyond me. They can easily get involved with the bigger countries.
No I get that mate although Austria is hardly a major league all be it better than the SPFL.

Should have sold a few players after 55 when there stock was high as well for the supposedly player trading model. Only player trading model we have is one in one out the physio department
Nobody in the club had the balls to say to Gerrard(who was demanding they were kept) “no we’re selling them and you can reinvest that money”

We desperately need to have someone at the club who has the ability to identify a player. We have recruited an entire squad full of dross and we pay them an absolute fortune. I won't have anybody tell me we couldn't do better for what we pay in wages, it's an absolute shambles the amount of failures there have been on the recruitment side of things.

We need to stop trying to fill the squad out with numbers just for the sake of it, and we need to properly identify and invest in a few key quality players. You can then surround those with hard working players to support them, and you wouldn't be far off. Instead we have an entire squad of lazy players with a weak mentality, as well as having an extreme lack of footballing quality. It's a recipe for disaster.

What were the warnings?
Smith stepping down?
McCoist stepping up?
Whyte not being up to it?
Whyte being the qunt he turned out to be.

Alistair Johnson was pretty vocal around the time Whyte took over if memory serves me right. Nobody really listened.

I'll hold my hands up, I was just desperate to see the back of Murray.

Good post. Especially the bit about fans worshipping average players. Forget the hype just judge players on winning and winners medals.
Average players won us trophies when subsidised with some quality, novo for instance mendes was quality broadfoot couldn't even cook a egg without injuring himself but has papac solid 7/10 most weeks

Not backing Gerrard was the start of the most recent downturn. That mob were a shambles and we were absolutely flying... £10-15m spent that summer could have meant we were out of sight for a few years

Before Gerrard came in the last team to beat celtic (AET and penalties at Hampden) was:

Foderingham
Tav Kieran Wilson Wallace
Holt Ball Halliday
McKay Miller Shiels

Gerrard inherited a squad containing Foderingham, Tav, Wallace, Jack, McCrorie, Dorrans, Candeias, Morelos

He signed Arfield, McGregor, Murphy, Katic, Goldson, Flanagan, Barisic, Lafferty, Grezda, McAuley, Firth, Kent, Defoe, Davis, Polster, Kamara, Hastie, Jones, Stewart, Edmundson, Aribo, Helander, Barker, Hagi, Bassey, McLaughlin, Balogun, Roofe, Itten, Simpson, Wright, Ofoborh, Bacuna, Sakala, Lundstram,

Loans of
Worrall, Ejaria, Coulibally, Sadiq, Ojo, King, Kamberi, Zungu,

This was his first team to beat celtic,

McGregor
Tav Goldson Worrall Halliday
Arfield Jack McCrorie
Candeias Morelos
Kent

Nobody can say Gerrard wasn’t backed.

Before Gerrard came in the last team to beat celtic (AET and penalties at Hampden) was:

Foderingham
Tav Kieran Wilson Wallace
Holt Ball Halliday
McKay Miller Shiels

Gerrard inherited a squad containing Foderingham, Tav, Wallace, Jack, McCrorie, Dorrans, Candeias, Morelos

He signed Arfield, McGregor, Murphy, Katic, Goldson, Flanagan, Barisic, Lafferty, Grezda, McAuley, Firth, Kent, Defoe, Davis, Polster, Kamara, Hastie, Jones, Stewart, Edmundson, Aribo, Helander, Barker, Hagi, Bassey, McLaughlin, Balogun, Roofe, Itten, Simpson, Wright, Ofoborh, Bacuna, Sakala, Lundstram,

Loans of
Worrall, Ejaria, Coulibally, Sadiq, Ojo, King, Kamberi, Zungu,

This was his first team to beat celtic,

McGregor
Tav Goldson Worrall Halliday
Arfield Jack McCrorie
Candeias Morelos
Kent

Nobody can say Gerrard wasn’t backed.
He wasn't after winning 55
Same as gio after qualifying for the champ league

To rebuild properly is going to take time. Do we have the patience for it as a fan base?

I’m utterly sick of looking to the past. We need to back Clement and move on those that have all this scar tissue - what’s the worst that can happen? We’ll finish second, but would rather that with a squad full of potential, rather than those on the downwards spiral of their career.

No I get that mate although Austria is hardly a major league all be it better than the SPFL.
I think the company being from Austria probably seen it as a good way to get it out there, especially with their neighbour.

Look at them now, with the likes of formula 1 racing. I can't see a brand like them wanting into Scottish football. We deal in the Arthur Daley used cars world.

Average players won us trophies when subsidised with some quality, novo for instance mendes was quality broadfoot couldn't even cook a egg without injuring himself but has papac solid 7/10 most weeks
thats always been the case, same in the 70’s too. But our current average players are not subsidised with quality. Thats the difference.

We as a club are well represented by the team on the park, can get into the right position but fail to take advantage with terrible decision making and clear vision.

It's the mentality of the players. More than once in the past few years we've had the chance to put Celtic under severe pressure and the players have shat the bed every single time.
It's that simple.

There are a whole host of reasons.

1of the biggest is our player trading model.

We have lost tens of millions not cashing in when players are at their peak and letting them go for nothing or next to nothing.

To rebuild properly is going to take time. Do we have the patience for it as a fan base?

I’m utterly sick of looking to the past. We need to back Clement and move on those that have all this scar tissue - what’s the worst that can happen? We’ll finish second, but would rather that with a squad full of potential, rather than those on the downwards spiral of their career.
If we don't get into that mindset, then this will just continue. There's many clubs who have a rotating door of managers and it's not working for them.

The past means nothing, good for some great memories, but now more than ever we need a good plan in place for the future. The fact that if the manager had just carried on with working with what he had and not brought us in with a chance of the league, nobody would be calling for his head or having doubts. Getting us into a position, very few thought possible has actually worked against him. Unless patience is used, this will just carry on.

Take the Beggars as an example, much as it pains.
It’s not genius what they have done. They have an Irish Businessman backing them, those guys are smart and sharp generally, they are not daft. We had that in Murray the difference is Murray shat it and binned us, Desmond will not do that. He has more balls. How long has he been at the crime scene now ? Years..
Desmond has a strong leader put in place, Lawell. The two of them work smart financially by selling players when the moment is right, forget what the fans say, it’s business.
They get the money in the door. They then get the European money in.
They have a look at us, see where we are and make spending decisions accordingly, especially mid season.
They have leadership with a simple plan, there is only one other team you have to beat in Scotland ffs. It’s not rocket science.
I hope our leaders develop the same hard nosed long term view while maintaining the ability to change during a season as required.
What I have seen at our AGM’s are some guys that remind me of career guys I used to see working for big companies. Make an impact and move on. Those two at the Piggery actually care and are in it for the long run
Get strong leaders at Ibrox, who care about Rangers for life, we have some in the boardroom to be fair to them and it’s a tough mess they inherited, get more in top to bottom. We beat them for 55, it can be done. Get the right sort in, achievers who are hungry and will take no shit from anyone.

Last edited:
As usual, I see threads are being chopped all over the place. Namely the ones that display something resembling the truth. Someone commented on one about people not being able to accept the position we’re in.

This is spot on and was going to post something similar, but it’s got to the point on here if you put forward an opinion that reflects this sentiment, you’re accused of being a lurker or at risk of a pile-on and a ban.

We had done well to claw back the deficit under Clement, albeit, even in that run of initial games we won, there didn’t seem to be any identifiable system or patterns of play. It’s been fairly underwhelming on the whole, bar a couple games or short periods within games. Folk get carried away and continue to accept mediocre to poor performances from the majority of the squad. There comes a time when you can only win so many games while performing consistently at such a low level.

Enough is enough for these charlatans.

Tav, Goldson, Barasic, Lawrence, Lundstram, Wright, Dowell, Matondo, McAusland, Dessers & Jack will hopefully all be moved on. Diomande and Sima not worth the £ quoted, and I’ll be glad to see the back of Silva too.

It's the mentality of the players. More than once in the past few years we've had the chance to put Celtic under severe pressure and the players have shat the bed every single time.
It's that simple.
I agree a mentally strong team wins that game yesterday.we really didn’t do much in an attacking sense towards the end but they were hoofing the ball away anywhere in the last ten minutes.even watching on tv as soon as we got that goal and got it back to 2-1,there was a very noticeable drop in the atmosphere and it got tense.a mentally switched on rangers team would have taken advantage of that.

You right Murray just did what he did through normal legal practices. But it’s his actions and character I’m talking about. Let us down completely. All good when things were going well, didn’t want to know when the going got tough. Never a Rangers man.
sadly for a section of our fanbase ,as long as someone is wearing Brown brogues with a smart suit then they get unwavering support,

He wasn't after winning 55
Same as gio after qualifying for the champ league

We had just won the league out the park by 25 points.

We had dropped points in only 4 games (draws) before we wrapped up the title.

We didn’t need any major surgery. We didn’t lose any key players from 55. We were stronger.

GvB was the fall guy for our Board, won our first domestic cup in how long, took us to an Europa League Final, got us through 2 Champions League qualifiers, had 14 players sold from under him, was given 7 in turn to replace them.

The boards failure to back Gerrard properly in 2021 will haunt us for years to come. I suppose you could argue it worked out ok due to the Seville run but then failing to back Gio having secured CL group football was a disgrace

Directing £13m+ on a stupid vanity project was a major mistake too. The board were more interested in their legacy being linked to NEH built than having a proper team on the pitch. A building incapable of properly hosting AGMs or POTY awards etc.

Then you have the major elephant in the room - Michael Beale. A stain on our history and he should’ve never been given the funds or authority to lead the recruitment this summer. We have a squad of substandard players on multi-year contracts who are no where near the required level

Because from the top down mediocrity is accepted throughout the club, apart from the fans and hopefully the manager.

This board has failed us since 55 and seem content with playing second fiddle to the scum.

The boards failure to back Gerrard properly in 2021 will haunt us for years to come. I suppose you could argue it worked out ok due to the Seville run but then failing to back Gio having secured CL group football was a disgrace

Directing £13m+ on a stupid vanity project was a major mistake too. The board were more interested in their legacy being linked to NEH built than having a proper team on the pitch. A building incapable of properly hosting AGMs or POTY awards etc.

Then you have the major elephant in the room - Michael Beale. A stain on our history and he should’ve never been given the funds or authority to lead the recruitment this summer. We have a squad of substandard players on multi-year contracts who are no where near the required level
I’m pleased we have EH and the museum as it was badly needed but there were concerns at the time it would impact player transfers. Its the mismanagement though of last years transfer window that has killed us this year. I really am concerned we don’t learn the lessons of past mistakes

The squad has to shoulder the blame. It's a mentality issue, and I have washed my hands and can't wait to see the back of many of them this summer.
Massive clearcut and some new quality players need brought in this summer.

It's time to get rid of the players who carry that scarring tissue against them,
Constantly sh*tting the bed against an extremely poor celtic team is somethingyou don't get away with when the going gets tough, they just don't have it in their hearts to be winners. Mediocrity has become the norm, and I think many of these players think you can get away with that at Rangers....no , perhaps at a low end english championship club where many of them belong they might get away with that. Not here.

We didn’t need any major surgery. We didn’t lose any key players from 55. We were stronger.

GvB was the fall guy for our Board, won our first domestic cup in how long, took us to an Europa League Final, got us through 2 Champions League qualifiers, had 14 players sold from under him, was given 7 in turn to replace them.
Sir Alex has always spoken about the importance of freshening up the Man Utd squad year after year, even if they’d won the league. We needed to go and buy a few quality players at that point

We had Wright and Barker in the first team squad. Davis was running on empty and needed replaced. We needed another centre back at that point. We needed to replace McGregor. We needed another centre forward

Gerrard was badly let down

They are affecting us though.

We can't afford to make any mistakes in the transfer market. We were trying to rebuild the club so we couldnt really sell our top players. Hindsight says we should have.

They can. That's the difference.
We could've and should've sold our top players

I’m pleased we have EH and the museum as it was badly needed but there were concerns at the time it would impact player transfers. Its the mismanagement though of last years transfer window that has killed us this year. I really am concerned we don’t learn the lessons of past mistakes
I’m glad we have a museum but the timing was wrong and the facility is not fit for the purpose it was built for. With the benefit of hindsight, we should’ve never have been spending that amount of money on that building until we were firmly back winning leagues regularly

Winning the league would generate far more income than NEH will over multiple years. That £13m+ could’ve bought multiple players to get us over the line. Board incompetence and vanity in my opinion

And the Board need to be given leave to make decisions. The Rangers Board of old did not have to consider what the fans thought constantly. Waddell etc just decided what was happening and that was it. Not always with success it has to be admitted.
But if we want to sell a player to bring in cash to then move forward then do it.
It’s good that fan engagement happens but leaders have to make decisions and lead.

We needed a refresh after 55 watch Goldsons interview he talked like he was already away, Kamara another, morelos

I’m glad we have a museum but the timing was wrong and the facility is not fit for the purpose it was built for. With the benefit of hindsight, we should’ve never have been spending that amount of money on that building until we were firmly back winning leagues regularly

Winning the league would generate far more income than NEH will over multiple years. That £13m+ could’ve bought multiple players to get us over the line. Board incompetence and vanity in my opinion
Yeah. There’s been so many bad decisions over the last five years it’s depressing to think about it.

It’s a fair point but I’m thinking we could easily have wasted that £13m on more average unmotivated players who never made it in the big Leagues down South.
I’m glad we have EH there but point taken its now time to spend wisely and sell wisely when we have a good asset.

Sir Alex has always spoken about the importance of freshening up the Man Utd squad year after year, even if they’d won the league. We needed to go and buy a few quality players at that point

We had Wright and Barker in the first team squad. Davis was running on empty and needed replaced. We needed another centre back at that point. We needed to replace McGregor. We needed another centre forward

Gerrard was badly let down

He had trebled our wage bill UEFA Financial Fair Play Regulations dictated we were restricted
If he sold players he could’ve bought players. he never sold one sellable asset.

It’s a fair point but I’m thinking we could easily have wasted that £13m on more average unmotivated players who never made it in the big Leagues down South.
I’m glad we have EH there but point taken its now time to spend wisely and sell wisely when we have a good asset.
Yes good point. Who knows if that money would have been spent properly for transfers. Based on the evidence probably not.

He had trebled our wage bill UEFA Financial Fair Play Regulations dictated we were restricted
If he sold players he could’ve bought players. he never sold one sellable asset.
I think that was used as an excuse looking back. Robertson saying the reason we didn’t spend was because we didn’t qualify for the CL (partly Gerrards fault) but then the season after he said that there wasn’t too much difference in income between CL and EL

I don’t believe the FFP had anything to do with the penny pinching in summer of 2021. I do agree re not selling anyone though.

What bit of this do folk not understand ?

All through our history we have had lean and baron spells.we went 25 years without winning the Scottish cup.we had two periods where we went 11 years and 9 years without winning the league and in much of those years we weren’t even finishing second.
We have a different mindset of supporters. There is guys like us who have been here before and know things can change very quickly. April 86 for example, running down the league and hoping we could be in a title race at least next season, all of a sudden we have the england centre half help win us the league. Then we have the fans who really only know success from the souness years and I'll readily admit, it's hard going for them.

What I am pleased about is our young fans from the UB. They are a welcome addition and I really hope they continue to grow when they move to the copland. Hopefully to the stage they can fill the whole copland front. Was very pleased with the banner they put up last week as they most certainly had every right to do so. Yousef showed contempt for us and he got it back from these lads. They spoke for me and many others.

I think that was used as an excuse looking back. Robertson saying the reason we didn’t spend was because we didn’t qualify for the CL (partly Gerrards fault) but then the season after he said that there wasn’t too much difference in income between CL and EL

I don’t believe the FFP had anything to do with the penny pinching in summer of 2021. I do agree re not selling anyone though.

No ?

I suggest you read up on the many articles published.

Even if we wanted to spend the £13million on players we couldn’t.

Take the Beggars as an example, much as it pains.
It’s not genius what they have done. They have an Irish Businessman backing them, those guys are smart and sharp generally, they are not daft. We had that in Murray the difference is Murray shat it and binned us, Desmond will not do that. He has more balls. How long has he been at the crime scene now ? Years..
Desmond has a strong leader put in place, Lawell. The two of them work smart financially by selling players when the moment is right, forget what the fans say, it’s business.
They get the money in the door. They then get the European money in.
They have a look at us, see where we are and make spending decisions accordingly, especially mid season.
They have leadership with a simple plan, there is only one other team you have to beat in Scotland ffs. It’s not rocket science.
I hope our leaders develop the same hard nosed long term view while maintaining the ability to change during a season as required.
What I have seen at our AGM’s are some guys that remind me of career guys I used to see working for big companies. Make an impact and move on. Those two at the Piggery actually care and are in it for the long run
Get strong leaders at Ibrox, who care about Rangers for life, we have some in the boardroom to be fair to them and it’s a tough mess they inherited, get more in top to bottom. We beat them for 55, it can be done. Get the right sort in, achievers who are hungry and will take no shit from anyone.
Very true mate, their links to Ireland is serving them very well.

Back