Why did Advocaat hate Amoruso?

Advocaat didn’t like egos and Amo had a big one. He was a big swarve bastard cutting about in the best of gear full of Italian style!

Must have had a hell of a time looking in the mirror as he had a huge one himself.

Advocaat was great at some things but wasn't a particularly good man manager. He had issues with more than just Amoruso and managed multiple situations badly (treating Kanchelskis and Ricksen differently after a fight, punishing players after a mistake whilst giving Konterman free reign etc).

Must have had a hell of a time looking in the mirror as he had a huge one himself.

Advocaat was great at some things but wasn't a particularly good man manager. He had issues with more than just Amoruso and managed multiple situations badly (treating Kanchelskis and Ricksen differently after a fight, punishing players after a mistake whilst giving Konterman free reign etc).
That’s a good point, his ego was the biggest! I had a good chat with Albertz in a boozer in Bearsden shortly after he left. He was seeing a girl in that area. He never liked him either, an absolute gentleman of a man too!

When Amoruso had the sensible head on, he was the best centre half in the league. It wasn't even close.

Bur I do think Advocaat grew weary of him for a number of reasons - the numerous mistakes, the outrageous quotes in the press, the constant hawking of himself to Serie A and EPL clubs, the racism row with Viktor Ikpeba (where he should have been stripped of the captaincy BTW)

Replacing Amoruso wasn't the problem. It's who he ended up trying to replace him with that was.

He wanted Kevin Hofland as his left sided centre back to play alongside Moore and he was guest of honour at a midweek game v Dundee United but chose to stay in Holland with PSV as he felt he was too young to go abroad.

Konterman was so ill equpped for Scottish football it wasn't funny - Weak, timid, prone to bottling 50/50, liable to lose his man several times throughout a match.

Sitting, somewhat drunk, watching the PSV 4-1 game at Ibrox. Big Amo has just scored the opening goal and Advocaat celebrating wildly.

Why didn’t they get on, culminating in the captaincy being stripped? Amo too much of a free spirit?

I was seven when the captaincy was taken off him so can’t remember the nuances of the time. I know Advocaat had tried to sell him in the summer of 2000 but it fell through.

Just doesn’t make sense; a popular Treble and double winning captain getting bombed out by his manager.
Jealous of his fine head of hair and massive (alleged) chomp

When Amoruso had the sensible head on, he was the best centre half in the league. It wasn't even close.

Bur I do think Advocaat grew weary of him for a number of reasons - the numerous mistakes, the outrageous quotes in the press, the constant hawking of himself to Serie A and EPL clubs, the racism row with Viktor Ikpeba (where he should have been stripped of the captaincy BTW)

Replacing Amoruso wasn't the problem. It's who he ended up trying to replace him with that was.

He wanted Kevin Hofland as his left sided centre back to play alongside Moore and he was guest of honour at a midweek game v Dundee United but chose to stay in Holland with PSV as he felt he was too young to go abroad.

Konterman was so ill equpped for Scottish football it wasn't funny - Weak, timid, prone to bottling 50/50, liable to lose his man several times throughout a match.
I was going to reply do this and ask if you thought that Amo felt some games were beneath him.

However, the fact some of his biggest mistakes were in the biggest stage kind of shows it was just concentration in general.

History is kind to Amoruso, he was prone to lapses of concentration and did take some stick from the fans, playing alongside Bert Konterman probably didn’t help things either.

He was part of two treble winning sides though
Amo did have some catastrophic lapses. However they were few and far between. He had some outstanding displays against them and in Europe.
Fantastic defender.

DA is quite a contentious figure even now in Dutch football. Known to be a difficult man, it isn't unusual for the people who work closely with him to struggle dealing with him.

On the flip side he is respected as being very good at what he does.

Big Amo's feelings for DA wont mark him out as unique.

That doesn’t mean DA hated him though?

Big games he was pretty much always superb. Against the smaller teams at home especially his mind could wander a little.
I'm still scarred by his mistake in the Monaco game in the CL that cost us a win and seen us failing to qualify. Ironically it was Dado Prso who set up the goal for them.

History is kind to Amoruso, he was prone to lapses of concentration and did take some stick from the fans, playing alongside Bert Konterman probably didn’t help things either.

He was part of two treble winning sides though

Round about the time Ferguson was handed the captaincy, nobody would have been too fussed if Amo had been bombed out.

He was going through a terrible, terrible period.

He screwed the nut again though.

Amo was generally great but his lapses in concentration and overestimation of his ability cost us big time on a few occasions.Still remember big Amo's howler against Monaco. He tried to dribble out of our box with 10min to go and we lost a goal to go to 2-2. Both teams needed to win to get to the knockout stages of the Champions League. The game stayed 2-2 . still pisses me off even now.
Amo lost the ball on the half way line and a great pass played Simone in. It was his mistake, but there were others between Monaco and the goal.

My favourite Amoruso moment, and one I'll be eternally grateful for, was in the last (goal difference) game of the season against Dunfermline when he chased a lost cause into the corner flag and incredibly ended up putting over a cross which we scored from. There were other critical moments in that game of course, but who knows how that great day would have ended otherwise.

My admiration for Amo grew when he was stripped of captaincy but didn't drop his head and sulk yeah he made poor errors but was immense for us

Huge egos. Both were touched by genius. Both were flawed. Great thing is we fans don't need to choose between them-we have fantastic memories & can celebrate them both.

Big Amo was great but every now and then he thought he was Beckenbauer and tried to take on the opposition by himself. He would them lose the ball and be out of position leaving our defence wide open.

Advocaat never hated him. He made him captain!

Even when he was stripped of the armband - which at the time was maybe justified - he still picked him.

Amo lost respect for him though. As the more succesful they became, the stricter Advocaat became. Also the dressing room became cliquey.

If you are Amo - how the hell would you feel playing alongside Bert Konterman????? I know Amo was prone to a blunder or 3 - but Konterman never had a decent game at centre half that I can recall.

Remember Ball having a go at Advocaat when substituted at the Piggery. Konterman always played - no matter what.

To be fair to Amo, he could have thrown the toys out the pram when stripped of the captaincy but he buckled down and still was a leader on the field.

I think Advocaat was a great manager - but, I don't see him ass someone who could stay at one club for a long time.

Last edited:
The big man was 99% fukn fantastic. But his 1%, unfortunately for him, were generally pretty catastrophic. I guess Advocaat didn't like the lack of concentration/focus perhaps.

Maybe he also didn't like the fact he was Gallus as F too :p .
Strange how these things work out. Vignal was guilty of similar catastrophes but I swear 9 times out of 10 we were not punished for his clusterfck moments.

I loved Amo and he was a brilliant player for us. That said I wouldn’t be surprised if he was someone who could be difficult to manage.

Coming back from injury overweight because he had become hooked on Baileys certainly wouldn’t have impressed the Little General.

I'm probably 10 years or so older than you. Amo's commitment and ability was never in question but he was having a nightmare at that specific time think the dressing room was divided aswell. It took the pressure off the big man and his form improved and it was the making of Ferguson.

That's the way i remember it - being Captain seemed to distract big Amo and he played better without the armband.

Advocaat was a strict disciplinarian, which was great for keeping guys like Ferguson on the straight and narrow, but not so great for free spirits like big Amo, especially when he was known for not being shy in voicing his opinion.

Amo was great for us but always had an occasional howler in him.

Advocaat was also great for us but was very much a cheque book manager.
Aye and also couldnt handle that mob once O'Neil took over and bailed out.

Sitting, somewhat drunk, watching the PSV 4-1 game at Ibrox. Big Amo has just scored the opening goal and Advocaat celebrating wildly.

Why didn’t they get on, culminating in the captaincy being stripped? Amo too much of a free spirit?

I was seven when the captaincy was taken off him so can’t remember the nuances of the time. I know Advocaat had tried to sell him in the summer of 2000 but it fell through.

Just doesn’t make sense; a popular Treble and double winning captain getting bombed out by his manager.
Probably because he was Sir Walter's signing

Latest posts

Back