Why did the club back down in its stance on Collum?

robbo89

In December we all plainly saw Collum cheat us out of a penalty at the piggery. Had it been given it might have won us not just the game but potentially the league title and £50m of CL income when you consider the meltdown that would have ensued across the city.

The club seemed to recognise the frustration and outrage of the support and for once they went on the front foot, publicly calling out the SFA and demanding that Collum was kept away from our games.

After the club had made it's position perfectly clear and got the total backing of the whole support behind them, why did we back down from this position?

It's an absolute slap in the face that Collum will be in the black for this all-important final Old Firm that will probably dictate which club takes the title and receives an unprecedented influx of CL cash.

We should have stayed firm in our demands. I doubt the SFA would have taken it to the courts where we could have defended our position by raising the unbalanced treatment and officiating Rangers have been subject to.

I don’t think the club backed down, we can request not to have Collum involved in our games but unfortunately we dont have the power to tell the SPFL what to do.
Your right, but we could and should have demanded to hear what went on with VAR and the discussion. It was obvious to everyone that they came up with the offside midway through the second half. The dialogue that went on would have shown the cover up that took place. That in itself would have got rid of Collum.
For some reason we backed down .........................again and now we have Collum basically in charge of a league decider between the club that wanted him booted out and the club he supports.

In any other country in the world that would have been dealt with differently.

Not sure if you're serious mate but the club cannot dictate who referees our games.

It was pretty stupid for that part to come out unofficially.
We can't and never would want to dictate the specific individual who referees our games.

But we can absolutely dictate that our games should be refereed by impartial professionals who don't have a proven track record of cheating the club.

Every club in the world has the right to demand that and that's exactly what the club seemed to broadcast to the world after the crunch talks with the SFA. What I don't understand is why we didn't stand firm after that.

The board had the total backing of the support at that moment. It looked like we were finally taking the SFA to task after years of empty rhetoric about how the club would demand change.

Your right, but we could and should have demanded to hear what went on with VAR and the discussion. It was obvious to everyone that they came up with the offside midway through the second half. The dialogue that went on would have shown the cover up that took place. That in itself would have got rid of Collum.
For some reason we backed down .........................again and now we have Collum basically in charge of a league decider between the club that wanted him booted out and the club he supports.

We did get access to the VAR chat though. It just wasnt made public.

we had a meeting with Crawford Allan and listened to the audio

The reality is that a shocker of a ref decision against Rangers that costs the club will be a one-day wonder in the tabloids, and then Rangers will be painted as the bad guys and accused of trying to bully refs.

Any big decision against Celtc will see the ref hung, drawn and quartered in the media for weeks on end and his impartiality and neutrality questioned. This gets the message across to refs loud and clear, and they act accordingly afterwards. It is gangsterism, nothing less.

Its been like this for as long as I can remember, tbh.

The manager wasn't interested in taking it further.

PHILIPPE Clement has revealed he was unaware that Rangers were going to ask the SFA to keep referee Willie Collum away from their matches - and stressed that no such request will be made in future without his knowledge following talks with senior club officials.

Collum will take charge of a game involving the Ibrox club in Govan tonight for the first time since the cinch Premiership fixture against Celtic at Parkhead back in December when he oversees their Scottish Cup tie with Ayr United at home.

Fans of the Glasgow club were incensed when VAR official Collum ruled that Celtic right back Alistair Johnston had not, despite clearly punching the ball out of play, committed a handball offence inside his own penalty box in the first half of a league match the visitors ended up losing 2-1.

Rangers chief executive James Bisgrove and head of football operations Creag Robertson held a meeting with SFA head of refereeing Crawford Allan the following week and asked that Collum not be involved in their matches going forward – an appeal which was immediately rejected.

However, Clement stated yesterday that he has no issues with Collum being appointed for the Ayr game and expressed hope the Old Firm controversy could be consigned to the past.

“I’m happy, to be honest,” he said. “When there’s one moment that I think a referee is not neutral then I would directly quit my job. I’m happy we can leave the past behind us.

“It’s important when we speak about this game, not to live in the past. That’s important in life as well. I don’t want my players to be living in the past about the last few weeks, months or the beginning of the season. It’s about the next game and performing there. If we make mistakes then you expect to get new chances to prove you can come back.”

Asked if he had been consulted about the Collum request, Clement said: “No. That’s something for in the club that we have talked about. That will happen in the future.”

I don’t think the club backed down, we can request not to have Collum involved in our games but unfortunately we dont have the power to tell the SPFL what to do.

Pretty sure one of the respected posters said that he got abuse after we mentioned him my name.

If accurate, that's not a justifiable reason for letting him off the hook.

It was a shameful call.

As much as people dont like it, we havent built enough *bridges*.

We need support in the media and with other clubs to try and influence the structure up here.

The SFA/SPFL knew they could disregard us easily, no one was getting our backs. Nobody would be in the media for weeks questioning the integrity of all involved.

We also need to employ an actual expert in PR. I know the theory of how the plumbing works in the house, but if I done any it would be a disaster, this is no different, get someone in that can actually do it.

The manager did not back the stance the club took and made sure to get that message across a few days later
Probably Clement's first significant mistake at Rangers in my opinion. It's understandable because he won't realise the level of cheating and corruption we have faced year-in year-out but he has to adjust his understanding to that reality ASAP.

These bastards will do anything to benefit the scum or to put Rangers down and we have to fight hard on every front if we're going to change that.

Just like we need the team battling tooth and claw out on the pitch, we need our boardroom fighting tooth and claw for a level playing field. That means calling out the cheating when we see it and saying "no more" to corrupt or biased referees.

Last edited:
Any big decision against Celtc will see the ref hung, drawn and quartered in the media for weeks on end and his impartiality and neutrality questioned. This gets the message across to refs loud and clear, and they act accordingly afterwards. It is gangsterism, nothing less.
I'm almost hoping we get one this weekend so we can see all the threats Gollum gets from his own kind

PHILIPPE Clement has revealed he was unaware that Rangers were going to ask the SFA to keep referee Willie Collum away from their matches - and stressed that no such request will be made in future without his knowledge following talks with senior club officials.

Collum will take charge of a game involving the Ibrox club in Govan tonight for the first time since the cinch Premiership fixture against Celtic at Parkhead back in December when he oversees their Scottish Cup tie with Ayr United at home.

Fans of the Glasgow club were incensed when VAR official Collum ruled that Celtic right back Alistair Johnston had not, despite clearly punching the ball out of play, committed a handball offence inside his own penalty box in the first half of a league match the visitors ended up losing 2-1.

Rangers chief executive James Bisgrove and head of football operations Creag Robertson held a meeting with SFA head of refereeing Crawford Allan the following week and asked that Collum not be involved in their matches going forward – an appeal which was immediately rejected.

However, Clement stated yesterday that he has no issues with Collum being appointed for the Ayr game and expressed hope the Old Firm controversy could be consigned to the past.

“I’m happy, to be honest,” he said. “When there’s one moment that I think a referee is not neutral then I would directly quit my job. I’m happy we can leave the past behind us.

“It’s important when we speak about this game, not to live in the past. That’s important in life as well. I don’t want my players to be living in the past about the last few weeks, months or the beginning of the season. It’s about the next game and performing there. If we make mistakes then you expect to get new chances to prove you can come back.”

Asked if he had been consulted about the Collum request, Clement said: “No. That’s something for in the club that we have talked about. That will happen in the future.”
So he’s going to quit this weekend?, when Collum gives the same if not even more hugely controversial bad decisions against us!! Collums appointment is without doubt a plan to not only troll us and our club but ultimately to make sure the game goes their way!!

We had a great opportunity to hammer home the deficiencies in the refereeing but to go after Collum and to make matters worse leak it to an outlet so instead of getting the audio we got the "Who the F do Rangers think they are" show.

A complete and utter brain fart by whoever sanctioned it!!!

So he’s going to quit this weekend?, when Collum gives the same if not even more hugely controversial bad decisions against us!! Collums appointment is without doubt a plan to not only troll us and our club but ultimately to make sure the game goes their way!!

He'll let their midfielders kick the keech out of our players and we'll end up with bookings for very little.

Maybe even another red.

As much as people dont like it, we havent built enough *bridges*.

We need support in the media and with other clubs to try and influence the structure up here.

The SFA/SPFL knew they could disregard us easily, no one was getting our backs. Nobody would be in the media for weeks questioning the integrity of all involved.

We also need to employ an actual expert in PR. I know the theory of how the plumbing works in the house, but if I done any it would be a disaster, this is no different, get someone in that can actually do it.
A prime example if the majority of other teams support still side with Celtc despite the massive amount of evidence against them. I even saw an Aberdeen fan slagging us of at the weekend whilst not giving 2 F's about being shafted in the Cup semi!

Celtic seem to be able to pick their officials, why can't we? Seriously who would we pick anyway they're all prone to giving us nothing. Beaton and McLean are amongst the worst and I don't believe they're Celtic minded.

I think although they don't care

Social media should be used massively to put him under pressure

Collum is a really bad ref in general but some of his decisions against us are wild

The penalty the way we did prob want right

But we should have led with just one in a long line of bad decisions even starting at candies, hibs lundstram, Alfie sensual off(exact same as hibs were doing and not getting booked for in that game)

could easily last 10 massive game changing decisions

It is futile trying to appeal to the media to look for parity for Rangers where refs are concerned.

This is the same media who sat back while Celtc hounded refs for months on end both on and off the pitch, including Collum, which eventually became so toxic that their gangsterism campaign caused an unprecedented ref strike in 2010.

In fact, some of them praised Lennon's " passion for the game " when he was jabbing his fingers into ref's faces during pitch confrontations after games.

Refs now know what to do when handling Celtc games. Just get it over and done with and with as few talking points as possible for them to be criticised.

We need to score goals from breakaways or shots outside the box where VAR have no reason to get involved and be careful of challenges, especially inside the box.

We are unable to play the PR games and we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory when we went after him in this manner.

Because we made an arse of the whole situation. We correctly had concerns about the decision making processes in the game but stupidly allowed ourselves to be distracted by the individuals.

Agreed, there was an attempted cover up with the new info of Sima being *offside*, that was the corruption. Who released the info and the graphics? As much as I dont like collum, or the decision he made that day, focusing on him hindered us.

I thought it funny when every pundit and his granny were like, ` the club leaked this via one of it`s media partners `, the outrage, while never accepting that certain journos in the record, sutton, stewart are all regular outlets for them to get their views out there by proxy and no-one makes an issue about that.

I also don`t think we should have made that statement about him refereeing our games. It might very well be warranted , but you`ve got to play these things smart.

We did get access to the VAR chat though. It just wasnt made public.
The club said one thing on the audio saying there was a consensus in the meeting with the SFA that there were mistakes, SFA denied this and doubled down.
Complete cluster %^*& and still the fans know the least

Last edited:
Agreed, there was an attempted cover up with the new info of Sima being *offside*, that was the corruption. Who released the info and the graphics? As much as I dont like collum, or the decision he made that day, focusing on him hindered us.
The club heard the audio though so assume they were happy with it as I don’t think they took it any further after that.

The question so much wasn’t why wasn’t a penalty given as one would never have been given due to the offside but why did Collum not think it was a handball (assuming that’s what happened).

The club heard the audio though so assume they were happy with it as I don’t think they took it any further after that.

The question so much wasn’t why wasn’t a penalty given as one would never have been given due to the offside but why did Collum not think it was a handball (assuming that’s what happened).

Johnston clearly punched the ball out of play. That Collum on VAR, his VAR assistant, the ref Walsh and his assistant didn't see it just summed up how corrupt our game is, tbh.

Johnston clearly punched the ball out of play. That Collum on VAR, his VAR assistant, the ref Walsh and his assistant didn't see it just summed up how corrupt our game is, tbh.
I cant remember the specifics but was it not a case of Sima being offside (allegedly) and so there was no need to check the handball (which was blatant). Same way the big screen on sunday said checking offside before it changed to checking handball for our penalty and the killie red?

Without hearing it we cant say, however, Sky were pissed off as there was no offside chat at the time. They discussed the fact that the penalty hadnt been given in their half time analysis.

When the new info came, Crocker actually said something like it would have been good to know this at the time.

Collum was in the wrong 100% imo, I just dont think we would get anywhere going after him.

We made a complete arse of it. Should never have mentioned Colum because there are worse ( i know) and many more.
Another thing is, dont come out with that AFTER a defeat.

How about a true statement of the stats (pens, sending off, goals disallowed) surrounding old firm games - no matter who the ref is.
And why not do it BEFORE the game.
Had we not thrown away our lead i can guarantee you Celtic would be pumping up the pressure on refs.

I cant remember the specifics but was it not a case of Sima being offside (allegedly) and so there was no need to check the handball (which was blatant). Same way the big screen on sunday said checking offside before it changed to checking handball for our penalty and the killie red?

There was no info about the offside at the time, it was checking the handball, he got it wrong and the play resumed. Then after half time the offside story came out along with the graphic.

Because we demanded something that isn't allowed within the rules. We had no where to go after that!

I think we should have demanded an explanation as to why the offside images appeared. The decision was that celtic had possession, VAR agreed with the decision. The offside was irrelevant. The club had them over a barrel then handed them a way out.

I think although they don't care

Social media should be used massively to put him under pressure

Collum is a really bad ref in general but some of his decisions against us are wild

The penalty the way we did prob want right

But we should have led with just one in a long line of bad decisions even starting at candies, hibs lundstram, Alfie sensual off(exact same as hibs were doing and not getting booked for in that game)

could easily last 10 massive game changing decisions
We simply don’t ever make enough noise.

The so called offside had nothing to do with it, they were checking for a potential handball as was showing on the screens at that dump.
They somehow never saw thee most blatant example of a handball I think I've ever seen and awarded them a goal kick.
The apparent offside excuse was dug up about forty minutes after the incident.

Wrong way around. They have to wait for the offence (handball) or a goal before they can go back and check the attacking phase of play to determine if there is an offside or any other offence in the build up.

The fact it took more than half an hour to 'discover' the alleged offside was the real issue.

No.

There is a progression to be followed. The handball should then have led to the rest of the incident being reviewed, but it didn't get that far.

They - for reasons I can't explain, even now - 'didn't see' the handball.

What are you on about man? Football clubs can't dictate who can and can't referee their games. We made an absolute rip roaring c*nt of the situation with that nonsense.

Back