Why did we go to Dubai?

ThorntonMM

Clearly lessons weren't learnt from last year when they went to Tenerife during the winter break and returned still in holiday mode and lost to Kilmarnock first game back.

Why go to Dubai?

We ain't won nothing in years. If we had won the league Cup I could see the validity in heading off to such a destination.

Once again we return to the Scottish climate out of shape and with a player (Stewart) down through injury.

I'd much rather the management and players stayed here in Scotland and just continued doing what they had been doing.

I guess that would have meant some of those behind the scenes would have missed out on a free jolly...

Sickened at that garbage today.

Clearly lessons weren't learnt from last year when they went to Tenerife during the winter break and returned still in holiday mode and lost to Kilmarnock first game back.

Why go to Dubai?

We ain't won nothing in years. If we had won the league Cup I could see the validity in heading off to such a destination.

Once again we return to the Scottish climate out of shape and with a player (Stewart) down through injury.

I'd much rather the management and players stayed here in Scotland and just continued doing what they had been doing.

I guess that would have meant some of those behind the scenes would have missed out on a free jolly...

Sickened at that garbage today.
There are a lot of contributors to the shockingly bad performance today but going to Dubai won’t be one of them.
I’m fairly certain the training won’t be one of them either.
I think the fitness, science guys will know what they’re doing.

It’s nothing to do with where we go. It is the intensity and effectiveness of the training that is in question.

Second season in a row where we have come back looking jaded

Nope, I am asking what possible benefit could there be to spend so much money rewarding the players with a week in the sun when last year confirmed it had an adverse effect on the team...?

The training camp is just the same as what we would do here but with some extra fitness flung in and sunshine on the back. We still had nearly a week here to prepare against Stranraer. The trip has nothing to do with today the winter break itself played a part due to the 3 weeks of no football and that we just didnt play well either.

The club doesnt pay for the trips they're usually sponsored by a company or agency so no money was wasted.

I’ve been thinking this too.
Have the players been through a mini pre season and over worked ?
The last 3 games we have been awful and actually looked tired. Players have been looking leggy. Maybe understandable if it’s one or two but collectively they have all been off it

as much as training hard is essential , so is sufficient rest

Yes a
Yes and as I said we returned in holiday mode.
Why do it again?

Gerrard has spent his entire career working at the top end of the game. Surely he knows what works for players?

We have had other performances like that this season but managed to get the win and had we hit the target with the chances we did have we’d have won today also.

We have scraped by Stranraer and St Boo. Nothing outstanding in those two games at all. The winter break does us absolutely no favours. This team needs to keep playing imo. We should be looking at a couple of games here. The pressure keeps them frosty. Dubai and Tenerife training camps clearly isn't working.

I think it's more the winter break killing our momentum rather than where we jet off to during it.

We have scraped by Stranraer and St Boo. Nothing outstanding in those two games at all. The winter break does us absolutely no favours. This team needs to keep playing imo. We should be looking at a couple of games here. The pressure keeps them frosty. Dubai and Tenerife training camps clearly isn't working.

The trip to Tenerife worked last year in terms of fitness we were running over the top of teams at the end of the season due to it. The break does us no favours cause we aren't playing the camps are just what we would do here but in a warmer climate.

The training camp is just the same as what we would do here but with some extra fitness flung in and sunshine on the back. We still had nearly a week here to prepare against Stranraer. The trip has nothing to do with today the winter break itself played a part due to the 3 weeks of no football and that we just didnt play well either.

The club doesnt pay for the trips they're usually sponsored by a company or agency so no money was wasted.
If we are in the same position next season would you want to see us head away again?

Weird how nobody else that went away - at the very least the Dhims (Dubai) and Motherwell (Canary Islands) - has performed poorly.

Maybe there’s another reason, eh?

If we are in the same position next season would you want to see us head away again?

Yes why not? The problem is the break itself not where we are going to do our training session in warm weather. Last year we were running on empty so the break came at the right time this season it didn't as we were absolutely flying.

Dubai didnt cost Kamara to lose the ball or Goldson to slip for the 1st goal or 3 players to stand off Boyce for the 2nd goal. Tenerife didnt cause Joe Worrall to not be able to pass a ball nor did it cause McGregor not to save a simple shot.

Perhaps swanning off having beaten the child molesting, terror loving scum gives our squad a false sense of security. Then we come back and think the leagues won and we do t have to try too hard. Hearts tried harder than we did today. We were pretty insipid.

There are a lot of contributors to the shockingly bad performance today but going to Dubai won’t be one of them.
I’m fairly certain the training won’t be one of them either.
I think the fitness, science guys will know what they’re doing.

Yup, clutching at straws with this

I don’t think Dubai was anything to do with today.

It is the three week break that seems to kill momentum. We finish up on a high at the end of December and then it is hard to carry it though for the second half of the season. Why this happens I have absolutely no clue.

No being funny but I didn’t see the late 90’s team go to Dubai to get ran ragged for 2 weeks. They boys would go on a bender for 10 days and still come back and beat hearts.

and we all know that is 100% true

The trip to Tenerife worked last year in terms of fitness we were running over the top of teams at the end of the season due to it. The break does us no favours cause we aren't playing the camps are just what we would do here but in a warmer climate.

I get the training aspect however yet again we are completely out the groove. Two years in a row. Last year was a defeat to Kilmarnock and that awful performance against Cowdenbeath. This year, it's been three dire performances, which have included that performance against Stranraer and a turgid game against St Mirren. Today, against a team who were actually trying to score, we should have been exploiting the areas to get an advantage. The players looked like they were playing together for the first time. My point is that I'm wondering if training and not playing is having a knock on effect.

We were running over the top of teams... When the pressure was off and we had nothing to play for.

I get the training aspect however yet again we are completely out the groove. Two years in a row. Last year was a defeat to Kilmarnock and that awful performance against Cowdenbeath. This year, it's been three dire performances, which have included that performance against Stranraer and a turgid game against St Mirren. Today, against a team who were actually trying to score, we should have been exploiting the areas to get an advantage. The players looked like they were playing together for the first time. My point is that I'm wondering if training and not playing is having a knock on effect.

The 3 week break would have played a part and it would be expected that we would be rusty it just didnt help we picked the wrong team and didnt play well today. The break killed the momentum we gained in December it came at the wrong time.

We were running over the top of teams... When the pressure was off and we had nothing to play for.

So teams stopped playing then?

You want pre-season trips scrapped as well then since the first few games of the season arent always the best of performances?

So teams stopped playing then?

You want pre-season trips scrapped as well then since the first few games of the season arent always the best of performances?
No pre season is what it is.
The winter shut down is completely different.

What benefit has there been on our players heading off out in the sun?

I'd rather they had stayed and trained here.

No pre season is what it is.
The winter shut down is completely different.

What benefit has there been on our players heading off out in the sun?

I'd rather they had stayed and trained here.

It's allowed them to go out and do some training in warm weather. If they stayed here it would be the exact same training program so it doesnt matter where it's done it doesnt change the fact we didnt play a competitive game for 3 weeks.

It’s nothing to do with where we go. It is the intensity and effectiveness of the training that is in question.

Second season in a row where we have come back looking jaded

I think it could at least partly be due to the fact December was such a tough month for us. We had huge games ever week and in the main it was a successful month. Having got through that subconsciously the players have thought they have done the hard bit and then looking at the fixtures in January think that they can then coast through those games. We are nowhere near good enough for that yet. Hopefully today’s result will be the kick up the arse needed to get the focus and intensity back.

Its not Dubai its being hungry and wanting it more.

Gerrard talks to much about last year he needs to learn last year is gone.
If he talks about it to much itll sit in players minds

Back