Why no Alfredo tonight?

I hope the f... Morelos is not for the off by being kept from playing for no further injuries before transfer. Very surprised he didn't come in for last 20 mintues. Really worries me that Everton and Man manure et al have no decent strikers worth talking about. Hope there is no 'prior' arrangement to sell him or even Kent if we don't qualify for Champions League.
Have to say, we have all seen how special a player Alfie is and teams like Everton would be stupid not to bid for him.
The money being spent by English clubs on no names from all over europe is mind boggling.
Alfie has proven himself repeatedly against good European teams.
Anyway I reallly hope no one bids for Alfie and he stays with us!!! Love him!

Back to tonight, it’s great to see Colak playing well.
The last 10 min was crying out for Alfie. We were flat. Looking tired. Alfie lifts his team mates and also the crowd. Why Gio did not bring him on is really baffling

I'm sorry but Alfie not coming on at all is utterly baffling for me. It makes no sense whatsoever.

He isn't going to get match fit sitting on the bench.

Big games need your best players and he is quite frankly our best player up top.

Why not swap Tillman for Alfie tonight and give Colak assistance up top. Alfie can dominate a full back 4 by himself as he has proven since coming here.

We need Alfie next week in Holland.

He should have been on for the last 10 mins at the least. Colak was MOTM for me but Morelos just offers something different for their defenders to worry about and has proven it in Europe for years.

It annoyed me when Gio was asked in his interview if he thought about bringing him on and he just answered “No”

Colak was getting no joy in the second half and we needed the ball to stick better up front. It’s a bit worrying that the manager couldn’t see that Alfie could have made a difference.

I love Alfie but he looks about a stone overweight at the minute, not sure he would have made much difference tonight as we were hardly an attacking force in the second half.

Whats he said on instagram? One of mates says morelos is not happy

I dont use it

Anyone?
Its a picture of some kind of warrior and a caption that translates to “a warrior is not the one who always wins, he is the one who always fights”.

Doesn’t read to me like he’s unhappy

Even in the few minutes we've seen of Morelos you can see he looks miles of it, and, like a lot of players coming back from a long lay off, you can see he is frustrated by his fitness. He knows what he wants to do, but just doesn't have the levels yet.

This is not the all firing Morelos that we love, and yes, the only way to get up to speed is minutes, but GvB has to balance that against what's best for the team.

Some still struggling with the concept of having two good options for the same position.
Or even struggling with the concept that Morelos is nowhere near fit enough for a game of that intensity.

Aye, a half cooked Morelos will just start holding it up no problem.

These guys live on the moon.

I love Alfie, but he is a couple of months away from the peak Morelos of last season rag dolling Dortmund defenders. Like it or not, he had 5 months off injured and he clearly wasn't on a strict calorie controlled diet the whole time

Give him 45 minutes against Hibs, and if we need a goal next Wednesday, bring him on, but he’s nowhere near ready to start.

He's been out for months and hasn't started a game for us.

GVB obviously thought Colak was doing enough or he felt the pace of the game would have been too much for Alfredo at the moment.

Colak was having absolutely no joy in the 2nd half, thought it would have been a perfect opportunity with 20-25 minutes to go for Morelos to come on and bring others into play.

Only 2/5 subs used though, bizarre subs at that.

The subs thing is a concern to me. With 5 available there is no need to be overcautious, especially in the last quarter of any game. Games like last night's are very taxing on players both physically and mentally. I cannot understand his strategy regarding subs last night, particularly with Arfield whom he has seen changing games already this season from the bench. The last quarter of the game was crying out for Alfie and Arfield. I would even have considered bringing Jack on. I also saw that he had McCrorie on the bench. Did we really need two substitute keepers? I always thought that being able to use his bench effectively was one of Gerrard's weaknesses and Gio needs to be better than he was.

Alfie was warming up at the 50 minute mark he then disappeared up the tunnel

Thought it looked weird hopefully it isn’t an injury

Gio said Colak was doing well. He was but at that stage I felt Morelos' attributes (particularly holding the ball up) were needed far more.
Normally I would agree a huge fan of Alfie but I think the game would have passed him by even in the late stages - I am really disappointed in his current physical state - either been rushed back early or lacking professionalism
At the moment looking like he needs a number of games to get close to his best form
I am not sure we can risk starting him i his current fitness state

Colak excellent, not tired, and Morelos can get almost a full 90mins at the weekend
Alfie is miles off getting 90 minutes.
If you look at his body shape that tells you all you need to know.
He’s way off starting a game.
That said I’d like to see him come on against Hibs.
Last 10-20 minutes maximum I’d think

I love Alfie but he looks about a stone overweight at the minute, not sure he would have made much difference tonight as we were hardly an attacking force in the second half.

Partly because they were pinning us back whereas when Morelos is up top, we have a genuine out ball who can occupy an entire defence on his own.

Colak was excellent but I’m surprised we didn’t see Morelos for the last 20 because the reality is we were struggling to make the ball stick and that’s where Morelos is in a league of his own. I also think his mere presence on the pitch would have had their defence on edge.

Colak played well but it’s a different player and strategy. We did the balls wide and up to him and in the second half PSV got on top of it (and pressed our tap out restarts from goal kicks as an add on) Morelos will drop and Link and give a different way of attacking bringing wide men in and changing our attack and thus there defensive shape. Need something different to throw at top teams.

Although I always want him on the pitch, it may be a good thing that they haven’t faced him yet. He is a handful and more dynamic than Čolak, which I think will trouble them. They have to come out and press from the start, so Matondo and Alfie to counter with Kent, and play long over the fullbacks.

Gio sounds like he is happy where it is, I just always find the lack of match fitness a hard one. How many 10/15 minutes cameo will give you this match fitness? Can he play for a reserve/unders team to get some? Or do we need to organise a bounce game.

Back