Why no decent Scotland strikers

Fletcher should have been but fell out with management. Griffiths was a fucking waster.

2 free kicks against a reject and he thinks he was God. Slovenia and Malta were all his 4 goals from 22 caps.

An appealing return on a so called striker and we played some amount of dross during his caps.

I think we all know what Griffiths is and he should be in jail.

We must have the poorest set of strikers going right now with none of them hit 10 goals, any reason why we haven’t produced a decent striker in decades?
I know the SRU has a dedicated team looking for Scottish qualified players playing elsewhere, is it time for the SFA to do the same.
Given they booed the ni national anthem I personally don't give a monkeys They never get a decent striker.

1st world cup i can remember was mexico 86 and at that time I think the scotland pool of strikers was.

McCoist, Mo Johnston, Stevie Archibald, Andy Gray, Kenny Dalglish, Greame Sharp, Alan Macanally, David Speedie, Kevin Gallagher,Frank Macavennie, Charlie Nicholas. Paul Sturrock

Now we have Shankland, Dykes, Adams and Kevin Nisbet

We must have the poorest set of strikers going right now with none of them hit 10 goals, any reason why we haven’t produced a decent striker in decades?
I know the SRU has a dedicated team looking for Scottish qualified players playing elsewhere, is it time for the SFA to do the same.
Just strikers??
Have you seen our team? :rolleyes:
Everyone getting on their high horse because we did well for a few games and qualified.
We are now back at our normal standard.
We will be lucky to get a point from our group.

Young players and not being coached as out and out strikers these days, therefore they will be more unique when coming through. England have the same problem it seems.

Shankland should be the main striker for Scotland though, I thought he played really well against the Dutch and created a couple chances last night.

Has there ever been a decent Scottish Striker? When I say that I'm talking about scoring goals regularly.

Look at the top scorer of most countries sitting on 50/60/70 goals ours has been at 30 since Law and Dalglish in the 70/80s.

Even McCoist was a 1 in 3 when it came to internationals
Denis Law has the only decent scoring record truth be told. Before that you're looking at Lawrie Reilly who had an outstanding record over much fewer games given the era he played in.

Law's record is basically twice as good as Dalglish's. However, Dalglish was never an out and out striker, to be fair.

Hughie Gallagher scored 22 goals in 19 games. (I'm going with One Hundred Years of Scottish Football, which is fifty-one years old)

Kids don't want to be strikers because the refs give no protection and they're more likely to get scythed down by a hammer thrower

The lack of quality in the SPL doesn’t help. Not one home based player started last night. Of the starting XI only 6 were born in Scotland. There is a dearth of talent in the country.

Seems odd to me that it's the same guys in the squad every time (more or less) regardless of form.

Surely with the goals Shankland has scored for Hearts this season he should have had more game time.
It’s been said repeatedly on here before but, Shankland is an SPL level striker. Ask him to play at a level above that and his limitations are quickly exposed. I don’t think he’s the answer.

The OP’s point stands though - you’re probably going back to the days of McCoist and Johnston for the last time we had good striking options upfront.

To add some context though, in my fifty odd years Scotland have rarely had a really potent striker, IMO. You immediately think of Dalglish, but he was often disappointing for his country. The same criticism was also levelled at guys like Joe Jordan, Andy Gray, Steve Archibald, Graeme Sharpe, Frank McAvennie, etc - players who were banging in goals regularly in England’s top flight, but then unable to replicate that form on the international stage.

Difference now of course is that there aren’t any Scottish strikers playing at that level anymore.

You play Shankland. Seems we want a goal per game striker and at international level that ain't going to happen.
I know I'd rather have Shankland waiting on that chance than someone like Dykes.

Scottish players aren’t brought up or trained to be skilful, just athletic, crafty, dirty hammer throwers. Any that break that mould are quickly whisked away to far off shores. Trust me grass roots in England and Scotland are very different.

Players are coached from a young age about defence , passing , formations etc but it’s very ‘ midfield orientated’ Freedom and instinct is taken out of players to conform with this. . I think all of this takes away a strikers individuality. There’s none really coming through of any note. It’s not a good situation at all.
I could not agree more with this, I feel it affects all forward thinking players. Instead of taking chances and beating a man they’re encouraged to play safe and keep possession.

Same with big clubs buying good young attacking players then stifling they’re game by asking them to change the way they play.

I could not agree more with this, I feel it affects all forward thinking players. Instead of taking chances and beating a man they’re encouraged to play safe and keep possession.

Same with big clubs buying good young attacking players then stifling they’re game by asking them to change the way they play.
Remember Alex Ferguson doing this exact thing with Andy Cole

Seems odd to me that it's the same guys in the squad every time (more or less) regardless of form.

Surely with the goals Shankland has scored for Hearts this season he should have had more game time.
Steve Clarke only picks his 19th Century Terrorist Friends

But hut but Shankland is amazing and we'd have won the league by y now had we spent £5m on him.

It’s been said repeatedly on here before but, Shankland is an SPL level striker. Ask him to play at a level above that and his limitations are quickly exposed. I don’t think he’s the answer.

The OP’s point stands though - you’re probably going back to the days of McCoist and Johnston for the last time we had good striking options upfront.

To add some context though, in my fifty odd years Scotland have rarely had a really potent striker, IMO. You immediately think of Dalglish, but he was often disappointing for his country. The same criticism was also levelled at guys like Joe Jordan, Andy Gray, Steve Archibald, Graeme Sharpe, Frank McAvennie, etc - players who were banging in goals regularly in England’s top flight, but then unable to replicate that form on the international stage.

Difference now of course is that there aren’t any Scottish strikers playing at that level anymore.
It has been said over and over but i am not sure it makes it true, lot of crap posters talking shite as usual. Aye but sky and nat. Shankland is a right good finisher i would not write him off cos he missed a sitter v Holland i would back him to score at the finals if he is given the chance which he clearly deserves.

Ryan Hardie has 12 in 32 for Plymouth this season in the Championship. Top Scottish scorer in the league as well

Lyndon Dykes has 4 in 34 for QPR yet he is picked in every squad and plays a part in most games.

Back