Why no-one on the post at corners ?

It’s a strange one that Davis has always been on a post until this season.

A man on the post is one of those things that you don’t think about until you realise that you lost a goal because it wasn’t there… then it’s all you see.

The goal tonight wouldn’t have been stopped by it, and Balogun went to try to header it out for a corner rather than let it get past him, it was decent defensive play - he just didn’t connect as fully as he would have wanted.

So another goal lost from a corner tonight.
5 goals lost from corners in our last 8 games.
5 goals from 26 corners conceded.
It would seem these stats don’t apply to Rangers and it might well be worth our while putting men on the posts after all.
Eh one on each post ? Not sure that isn’t mad talk lol

Anyway the idea that a defender heads it onto his own goal in that way is kinda the point imo

There was something on TV other showing why managers don't put players on the post anymore. Essentially it's because your more likely to get a goal chopped off for offside. Stats showed more goals would get chopped off for offside than prevented on the line. Probably works more with VAR tbf.

Could have had two on each post tonight and Balogun would still have scored mate.:(
You think so?
I think a man there may have blocked it but could be wrong.
I’ve been going to bump this thread as we’ve lost another 3 goals from corners since this was last discussed.
Our record defending corners is getting worse by the game.
For me the men on the posts is your first back up.
The amount of balls we are losing, it would just seem like a natural thing to go back to the basics in defending corners.

You think so?
I’ve been going to bump this thread as we’ve lost another 3 goals from corners since this was last discussed.
The amount of balls we are losing, it would just seem like a natural thing to go back to the basics in defending corners.
Don’t disagree with your main point - just disagree it would have made a difference for the goal tonight. Balogun didn’t put it in the corner as far as I can recall.

Don’t disagree with your main point - just disagree it would have made a difference for the goal tonight. Balogun didn’t put it in the corner as far as I can recall.
Yeah I get your point too.
It wasn’t really just about tonight, it’s the fact that we’re losing so many goals from corners just now.
It seems like we are punished for every mistake at the minute.
Ive always just believed it’s something you do automatically.
Biggest example ever was Atletico Madrid in the CL Final v Real.
30 seconds away from winning the big one, and a man on the post kicks Ramos’ header to %^*&.
Would haunt me for the rest of my life if it was my team!

You think so?
Equally we defended them quite well tonight who expects a player to do what LB done ?

I think there’s a case for quizzing why we didn’t get a score from our dead balls tonight it is something we have done well domestically to the point where it’s kept us top of the league as we struggle to score in open play

Which post would the defend4r have been on the back ?
Under SG it was Davis on the back post usually. IIRC this was a change we made to make us less vulnerable to conceding at set pieces.

Leverkusen (2:40)
Celtc (0:26 & 3:00)

St Johnstone (4:25) - this one he wasn't on the post, marking zonally in the front of the 6 yard box but came back onto the line and made a great double clearance.

Just a few of his clearances off the top of the head.

Last few seasons Davis was always on back post. That’s today and Prague we have lost daft goals with nobody on post.
Our defending at corners has to be a concern to Stevie and his team
Prague
Hearts
Dolly
Motherwell
Brondby

Just of the top of my head. Every one preventable too.

For me it’s just something that you do automatically.
The fact that we don’t really pisses me off.
As above its cost us 2 goals in a month.
As for the article mentioned, we have lost 2 goals in 3 games from 7 corners conceded that men on the posts would have stopped.
Hearts 4
Hibs 1
Sparta 2

That could’ve meant a point in Europe and 3 points yesterday.

Put men on the posts at all times. It is always worth it.
To be fair Baloguns finish was pretty 'clinical', he actually twisted himself in to position to bury it. The real question is just what was he thinking about in that second of madness?

I think its more important the person is alert able to move into a blocking position rather than their specific proximity to either post.

Arfield saved a certain 2nd goal last night which wouldve finished us. He wasnt quite on the line but he reacted fast and got himself in the way.

Quite often you see players standing still at the post and theyre standing still at the post as the balls sails past them into the goal.

Back