Will a stand be named after John Greig?

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
We've renamed the Govan Stand after the late great Sandy Jardine. You can put forward an argument that we have had so many wonderful servants to the club over the years that it would be wrong to single out any individuals for this honour. Moses McNeil, Tom Vallance, Alec Smith, Alan Morton, Davie Meiklejohn, Bob McPhail, Tiger Shaw, Willie Waddell, Willie Thornton, George Young etc all came before Sandy Jardine for example. But the precedent is now set and we do still have 2 stands not named after anyone.

I see Liverpool had a ceremony during the week to name their new stand after Kenny Dalglish. Got me thinking that if you want to bestow this ultimate honour on a past player (or manager) then why wait till they pass away. Give them the honour when they can receive the adulation personally.
My generation loved Sandy Jardine, but I think fair to say that he wasn't Mr Rangers or the man who embodied our magnificent club on the field more than anyone else. That was his captain, our captain, and the legend voted by the support as our Greatest Ever. John Greig MBE.

I suspect the Copland Road might end up being named after Mr Greig eventually. Why not do it now and let him see the stand with his name on it?

PS For those who may argue there is already a statue of him at Ibrox, that isn't a tribute to John Greig, it is a lasting monument to the Rangers supporters who came to Ibrox to watch their club and never went back home.

I would be happy with that, As for the other greats you have mentioned we have quite a few hospitality suites that could be named after them as in club Cooper etc that are already in place.

I would agree with the OP.

Singling out individuals is difficult but I think there would be overwhelming support for a stand to be named after Greig.

I’d also agree with doing it now, when he is fit and able to enjoy the honour and the experience.

I'd re-name the Bill Struth Main Stand after JG.

He could then name both the Copland and Broomloan Road stands after DJ and just alternate depending on Derek's mood.

Maybe the club deck could be named after him

I'm not all that bothered which stand it is, for me it's the principle that if we are going to name a stand after the man commonly revered as our Greatest Living Ranger, then do it while he can see it happen.
Probably my preference would be the Copland so it can be seen on telly, and I feel as if the Main Stand / Club deck building is all part of the Bill Struth stand already (even if that's not actually correct).

If anyone deserves such an honour it's John Greig, a true legend, but what happens when you run out of stands?

We've renamed the Govan Stand after the late great Sandy Jardine. You can put forward an argument that we have had so many wonderful servants to the club over the years that it would be wrong to single out any individuals for this honour. Moses McNeil, Tom Vallance, Alec Smith, Alan Morton, Davie Meiklejohn, Bob McPhail, Tiger Shaw, Willie Waddell, Willie Thornton, George Young etc all came before Sandy Jardine for example. But the precedent is now set and we do still have 2 stands not named after anyone.

I see Liverpool had a ceremony during the week to name their new stand after Kenny Dalglish. Got me thinking that if you want to bestow this ultimate honour on a past player (or manager) then why wait till they pass away. Give them the honour when they can receive the adulation personally.
My generation loved Sandy Jardine, but I think fair to say that he wasn't Mr Rangers or the man who embodied our magnificent club on the field more than anyone else. That was his captain, our captain, and the legend voted by the support as our Greatest Ever. John Greig MBE.

I suspect the Copland Road might end up being named after Mr Greig eventually. Why not do it now and let him see the stand with his name on it?

PS For those who may argue there is already a statue of him at Ibrox, that isn't a tribute to John Greig, it is a lasting monument to the Rangers supporters who came to Ibrox to watch their club and never went back home.

For me, well, you've posted my answer.
It's just too final for me.
What if we have another major hero?
Who do you bin to rename a stand?

I dont agree with naming any of the stands after players, and was frankly outraged at the Govan being renamed after Jardine. I`ve met many an ex player, and can say that I`ve never met one who looked and acted as uncomfortable surrounded by our support than Sandy Jardine.

He certainly would, if that's the road we want to go down.
Where though, do we put the Founding Fathers, the Gallant Pioneers?
Surely, if anybody, or group, deserve to be recognised, these people should be at the head of the queue.
Ahead, even, of Bill Struth!

I remember posting the same thing on the old board when it was announced that Sandy Jardine was being honoured in this way. If that had never happened, I would still be of the same opinion. But now that has happened, I can't think of any logical reason why we have a stand named after a player who wasn't captain when John Greig was, who played less games, who served the club for a shorter time, who scored fewer goals, won fewer medals, who was never our manager, who wasn't a one-club player, and who would himself have conceded that Greig was the greater club servant.

Last edited:
The stands shouldn't be named after anyone. Bill Struth would have agreed. The Sandy Jardine renaming was ridiculous and driven entirely by sentimentalism.

The Gub once said that the last thing John Greig did for Rangers was lift the Scottish Cup over his head in May 1978 and that's a very powerful argument. Greig has had lots of appreciation for his playing contribution. He really doesn't warrant any more.

I remember posting the same thing on the old board when it was announced that Sandy Jardine was being honoured in this way. If that had never happened, I would still be of the same opinion. But now that has happened, I can't think of any logical reason why we have a stand named after a player who wasn't captain when John Greig was, who played less games, who served the club for a shorter time, who scored fewer goals, won fewer medals, who was never our manager, had fewer appearances, who wasn't a one-club player, and who would himself have conceded that Greig was the greater club servant.

Well put.
The selection of Jardine was, almost certainly, down to his passing.
He was deserving of the highest accolades but, no more than some others, Greig being top of the list of players from the modern era.

It was a mistake naming the stand after Sandy, one of my all time favs. No stand should feature the name. If Ibrox was able to be somehow updated, I would like a Founder's Stand with a museum behind it.

The stands shouldn't be named after anyone. Bill Struth would have agreed. The Sandy Jardine renaming was ridiculous and driven entirely by sentimentalism.

The Gub once said that the last thing John Greig did for Rangers was lift the Scottish Cup over his head in May 1978 and that's a very powerful argument. Greig has had lots of appreciation for his playing contribution. He really doesn't warrant any more.

I often agreed with The Gub, but that is utter dung.
He wasn't a successful manager, but he did guide us to memorable wins over Juventus and PSV in Europe, we won a few cup finals, and he signed the man who would end our leading scorer of all time. After he left the dugout, he never said or did anything critical about it, in fact always saying what was best for the club was what was best for him. During Advocaat's time he was a link at the club between the new European staff and the club history, spending time with incoming players to teach them about Rangers. Recently he saw through the spivs and refused to allow them to use his name to give them credibility, making a huge show of returning only to honour his friend Sandy Jardine but then showing his backing for the new regime as soon as they took over.
Yes, his greatest days were as a player and a captain, but John Greig bleeds Royal Blue and anyone minimising that is showing a severe lack of respect.

The argument we shouldn't name stands after players is one I have absolute sympathy with. My posts above explain why I think the precedent we have set takes us to a place that a stand must be named after Mr Greig. But no matter what side of that argument you are, nothing should put in any doubt his absolute legend and all the deserved acclaim he gets.

I often agreed with The Gub, but that is utter dung.
He wasn't a successful manager, but he did guide us to memorable wins over Juventus and PSV in Europe, we won a few cup finals, and he signed the man who would end our leading scorer of all time. After he left the dugout, he never said or did anything critical about it, in fact always saying what was best for the club was what was best for him. During Advocaat's time he was a link at the club between the new European staff and the club history, spending time with incoming players to teach them about Rangers. Recently he saw through the spivs and refused to allow them to use his name to give them credibility, making a huge show of returning only to honour his friend Sandy Jardine but then showing his backing for the new regime as soon as they took over.
Yes, his greatest days were as a player and a captain, but John Greig bleeds Royal Blue and anyone minimising that is showing a severe lack of respect.

The argument we shouldn't name stands after players is one I have absolute sympathy with. My posts above explain why I think the precedent we have set takes us to a place that a stand must be named after Mr Greig. But no matter what side of that argument you are, nothing should put in any doubt his absolute legend and all the deserved acclaim he gets.

These are all fair comments but you'd need to be well into your 40's and above to have seen John Greig play for Rangers. This isn't an argument in and of itself but it's worth pointing out that an entire generation doesn't remember Greig the player. Is his contribution greater than Waddell's? Or Jock Wallace's? It becomes a mess. I agree that the naming of the stands shouldn't have been happened and now that it has there are cases to be made for others. However, Jardine's shouldn't have happened and Struth's was, frankly, random and not one I think the great man would have supported.

It probably is disrespectful but Gub liked hyperbole to make a point. I think JG has been well respected at Rangers for a long time - in contrast to McBungle at Celtic who was actually jealous of the treatment and respect JG received at Ibrox in comparison to his own anonymity at the Piggery.

Along with some great insight, the Gub also offered some very hash and unfair opinions, so I wouldn't automatically agree with his point on this.

On the main topic though, I personally don't think we should be naming stands after any players. Our hall of fame should have been used to honour these guys properly but that's been devalued somewhat by sentimental entries. What do we do when we run out of stands? Retire numbers? Boak.

Along with some great insight, the Gub also offered some very hash and unfair opinions, so I wouldn't automatically agree with his point on this.

On the main topic though, I personally don't think we should be naming stands after any players. Our hall of fame should have been used to honour these guys properly but that's been devalued somewhat by sentimental entries. What do we do when we run out of stands? Retire numbers? Boak.

Probably best we don't start on the Hall of Fame. Could have been something of worth but, as you say, has now been devalued for various reasons.

thats a great shout mate the greatest Ranger i have ever seen he embodies everything this great club is about

They'll no doubt name the Copland after him, maybe around the 50th anniversary of Barca. I'd like to see the Broomloan being renamed after Her Majesty's eldest grandson though. That would annoy the bheasts if they're still getting to sit in it.

They'll no doubt name the Copland after him, maybe around the 50th anniversary of Barca. I'd like to see the Broomloan being renamed after Her Majesty's eldest grandson though. That would annoy the bheasts if they're still getting to sit in it.

The Peter Phillips Stand

my mate's Dad would love that

I completely disagree .

What about Alan Morton , meiklejohn , RC Hamilton. Sam English , George young , tom vallancd etc etc are they not deserving of a stand as well ?

I mentioned in the other thread that there are better ways of remembering them

Instead of naming stands , a fitting tribute would be a proper museum highlighting the achievements of our great players .

While that is some way off , the club could immediately use the screens to do a 20-30 sec "on this week" at each home game and educate our fans on former great players , great teams , great results and great achievements since 1872 .

I completely disagree .

What about Alan Morton , meiklejohn , RC Hamilton. Sam English , George young , tom vallancd etc etc are they not deserving of a stand as well ?

I mentioned in the other thread that there are better ways of remembering them

Instead of naming stands , a fitting tribute would be a proper museum highlighting the achievements of our great players .

While that is some way off , the club could immediately use the screens to do a 20-30 sec "on this week" at each home game and educate our fans on former great players , great teams , great results and great achievements since 1872 .

If you read my various posts on the thread you'll see I actually agree with you and we should never have started this... but my thinking is now we have, how can we possibly have a stand named after someone who was the second best Ranger of his time and not name one after the man universally agreed as the best?

As I said in another thread, I’m against the idea for anyone.

Personally I’m not a fan of JG at all and agree with The Gub’s points. Moreover I’ve had the displeasure of meeting JG on several occasions both in a professional capacity and when he was employed by the club and at supporters’ functions.

Tom Vallance is one hundred times the Ranger JG will ever be.

As I said in another thread, I’m against the idea for anyone.

Personally I’m not a fan of JG at all and agree with The Gub’s points. Moreover I’ve had the displeasure of meeting JG on several occasions both in a professional capacity and when he was employed by the club and at supporters’ functions.

Tom Vallance is one hundred times the Ranger JG will ever be.

You're entitled to your opinion of John Greig, of course. So are the thousands who will disagree with you.

One thing worth pointing out is Tom Vallance was well before any of us were even thought of, so none of us have any idea what it would have been like to meet him. His exploits representing the club on and off the park just speak for themselves. Just like John Greig's will do for the rest of history.

You're entitled to your opinion of John Greig, of course. So are the thousands who will disagree with you.

One thing worth pointing out is Tom Vallance was well before any of us were even thought of, so none of us have any idea what it would have been like to meet him. His exploits representing the club on and off the park just speak for themselves. Just like John Greig's will do for the rest of history.

There’s no value in debating JG, it prompts hysterical reactions from those who lived through JG captaining us during Celtc’s NIAR.

Tom Vallance is an absolute colossus in our history, both on and off the park.

There’s no value in debating JG, it prompts hysterical reactions from those who lived through JG captaining us during Celtc’s NIAR.

"Hysterical"? I don't need a history lesson on Tom Vallance and well aware his place at the top table of Rangers legends. But 3 trebles, captain of our only European trophy, 17 years playing career with one club over 800 games, 120 goals from defence, the leader who commanded total respect for club and country, and the dignified figurehead in our darkest hour must deserve some kind of grudging recognition even if he didn't meet your expectations when you met him. I sometimes think there are folk on here who get a kick out of disrespecting our greats from the past, must admit I thought John Greig was probably one who was beyond that nonsense.

John Greig my hero for many years a true great and i am an old bear who watched him every week wish we had him now.

Not a fan of naming stands after people, as others say it's much too final and then what happens to future legends. In fact the man behind the stadium, Willie Waddell, does not have a stand named after him or what about our founding fathers.?

One other thing, the bit about him being captain during Celtic's 9IAR is said (I think) as something to mean he isn't that great after all.
Davie Cooper played in a Rangers team every season for 9 years and never won the league.
The legendary Alec Smith and RC Hamilton played when Celtic won 6 in a row.
Tom Vallance, Moses McNeil both played in the Scottish Cup when it was the blue riband competition and we never won it.
You can be a legend in many ways, not just by winning all the time.

Back