Will a stand be named after John Greig?

Nothing should be named after any living person.

All respects to Sandy Jardine. The Govan should never have been named after him.
It was a trick by the spivs to try and get fans on board. Sandy should have had a suite named after him.
Willie Waddell for example done more for the Club than Sandy and only has a suite in his name.

The "Rangers End" should be named after Greig in his memory not before.

"Hysterical"? I don't need a history lesson on Tom Vallance and well aware his place at the top table of Rangers legends. But 3 trebles, captain of our only European trophy, 17 years playing career with one club over 800 games, 120 goals from defence, the leader who commanded total respect for club and country, and the dignified figurehead in our darkest hour must deserve some kind of grudging recognition even if he didn't meet your expectations when you met him. I sometimes think there are folk on here who get a kick out of disrespecting our greats from the past, must admit I thought John Greig was probably one who was beyond that nonsense.

You love JG, I get it. A lot of people of a particular era are completely blind to his failures and his faults. We’re never going to agree on him. I’ve yet to meet a Rangers player from the 70s who liked him and a number who played under him tell some great stories you’d absolutely hate.

All I’m saying is I found him a deeply unpleasant individual on the occasions when I’ve met him. Likewise Andy Goram is an absolute wretch of a man, probably because of the alcoholism. It doesn’t make him any less of a great goalkeeper for the Club.

I really don’t know why anyone should be above criticism just because they were a fan favourite at some point.

You love JG, I get it. A lot of people of a particular era are completely blind to his failures and his faults. We’re never going to agree on him. I’ve yet to meet a Rangers player from the 70s who liked him and a number who played under him tell some great stories you’d absolutely hate.

All I’m saying is I found him a deeply unpleasant individual on the occasions when I’ve met him. Likewise Andy Goram is an absolute wretch of a man, probably because of the alcoholism. It doesn’t make him any less of a great goalkeeper for the Club.

I really don’t know why anyone should be above criticism just because they were a fan favourite at some point.

Davie Cooper was nicknamed Albert Tatlock because of his moaning.
Tommy McLean was a well known whinger.
Barry Ferguson was never slow in handing out stick.
The list goes on.

It isn't a personality competition, it is about service to the Club.

Davie Cooper was nicknamed Albert Tatlock because of his moaning.
Tommy McLean was a well known whinger.
Barry Ferguson was never slow in handing out stick.
The list goes on.

It isn't a personality competition, it is about service to the Club.

They all get paid you know, they’re not there out of love.

I’m against naming stands after any employee but I can think of plenty more deserving than JG.

I think it would probably happen when he passes away, to mark his achievements and long-standing service to the club, in many roles over many decades.

Of course he isn't above criticism.
I could take your word for all this, but all I know is I met John Greig a few times and every time he was an absolute gentleman. I also contacted him in the late 80s when he worked for the BBC and asked him to contact a friend who was gravely ill and who worshipped Greig as a player, and JG sent him a beautiful personal card which sadly arrived the day after he died. You found him unpleasant, I found the absolute opposite. I can only speculate why that would be. But I will go by what I saw and what I know, rather than accusations on a anonymous internet forum. And all that is separate from him being my idol when he was our captain.

Anyway, in all this I've tried to make it clear that my preference would be to never name a stand after any player as it's impossible to single anyone out from the many deserving great names. My point is that we've set a precedent by naming a stand after Sandy Jardine, who was a great servant to the club but most people would agree was second behind Greig in just about every measurable way in terms of service and impact at Rangers, and they are from the same era. An analogy would be the BBC putting a statue of Nicholas Lyndhurst up in tribute to the great comedy Only Fools and not doing one of David Jason! Maybe the compromise is to rename the Govan stand after the 1972 Barcelona team, which would celebrate both without naming either. But for me, it makes no sense to have a Jardine stand and not a Greig one.

Did
Of course he isn't above criticism.
I could take your word for all this, but all I know is I met John Greig a few times and every time he was an absolute gentleman. I also contacted him in the late 80s when he worked for the BBC and asked him to contact a friend who was gravely ill and who worshipped Greig as a player, and JG sent him a beautiful personal card which sadly arrived the day after he died. You found him unpleasant, I found the absolute opposite. I can only speculate why that would be. But I will go by what I saw and what I know, rather than accusations on a anonymous internet forum. And all that is separate from him being my idol when he was our captain.

Anyway, in all this I've tried to make it clear that my preference would be to never name a stand after any player as it's impossible to single anyone out from the many deserving great names. My point is that we've set a precedent by naming a stand after Sandy Jardine, who was a great servant to the club but most people would agree was second behind Greig in just about every measurable way in terms of service and impact at Rangers, and they are from the same era. An analogy would be the BBC putting a statue of Nicholas Lyndhurst up in tribute to the great comedy Only Fools and not doing one of David Jason! Maybe the compromise is to rename the Govan stand after the 1972 Barcelona team, which would celebrate both without naming either. But for me, it makes no sense to have a Jardine stand and not a Greig one.
When our club was at its lowest and most vulnerable position ever, It was Sandy who led us.

Back