Will Goldson sign a new deal?

RFC_LOYAL

With the season done and Goldson only having a year left on his contract, I was hoping a new deal would have been announced.

Do we reckon he will sign a new contract? Can’t afford to lose him.

• Haha
Reactions: dmg
From his point of view , he will know we want him to stay but he can still play in the Champions League qualifiers and still get a crack at the move to the Premiership or play in the Champions league should we qualify. That may be the reason for the uncertainty

This contract will be during Goldsons prime years.

I reckon Rangers will wait and see how the CL qualifiers go and if we qualify can give him a 3 year deal on good money.

John Brown mentioned during the match day program v Aberdeen that he had signed a new deal and Emma Dodds appeared to back that up. They were either getting ahead of themselves or they let the cat out of the bag.

I reckon Rangers will wait and see how the CL qualifiers go and if we qualify can give him a 3 year deal on good money.
I’m not sure that’s how it works. We’re not offering a key player a new deal with a short window to get it done.
We are a much more forward thinking club these days.

I certainly hope so. As outstanding as he's been (particularly this season), I cant see him getting signed by a top 6 EPL team. I know there are other factors such as location and remuneration to consider but, IMHO, he'd be foolish to leave when he's got the opportunity to be challenging for silverware each season and test himself against top class opposition in Europe.

I certainly hope so but there must be a reason he hasn't yet as I am sure the club have been pushing it
Potentially the last big contract of his career he may be looking to cash in by going south. Think he'd be potentially doubling his money by doing so

From his point of view , he will know we want him to stay but he can still play in the Champions League qualifiers and still get a crack at the move to the Premiership or play in the Champions league should we qualify. That may be the reason for the uncertainty
How long after the qualifiers does the window shut?

I did think that as well.

That the deal is agreed in principle and will be signed if we get to the groups.

If not he goes and we have a contingency ready.

He won't get a bigger club than us, and probably not even a club with a Euro spot at this point. If he leaves, it'll simply be about money. I believe he would rather play CL football under Gerrard than going to lower to mid table EPL mediocrity.

I hope he does sign a new deal but if he wanted to - I recon it would’ve been done by now.

If he doesn’t sign, he has to be sold this window.

A 1-year extension would be a sensible option for all.

He has stated an ambition to play regular in EPL, but owes it to himself to have a shot at CL, which he won't get in England.

Reactions: TPP
Wee bit short for the CL qualifiers if Goldson goes prior to them. Provided we get through,I suspect he will stay. If not he goes with my sincere thank you.

This is going to be Connor's biggest contract of his career wherever he gets it. He has a young son and is getting married this week so there is alot to consider.

He would rightly become one of our highest earners. Play a key role in a winning team at the finest institution in the world while participating in European football

OR

He would move his family to England, earn double the money but probably never win another medal or play European football.

Ball is in his court. We want him. I hope he wants us.

He is the rock of this team

Yes I think he will - I reckon he will fancy a shot at winning more things up here and champions league before returning south a 2 year extension with the proviso if a bid from an EPL club comes in that matches our valuation we wont stand in his way.

I reckon he will have already signed a new deal and the club are keeping it back for PR purposes.

It is something the club have become quite good at, especially in the summer months.

I agree, I am fairly confident of a new sponsor that the club have done a deal with as well and it looks like the announcement is getting held back also

Could they be waiting for the Rangers Champions Wimbledon special edition strip from Castore in June?
Only kidding, I would expect him to sign an extension, after all he has earned to right to play CL football with his Herculean performances this season, it would be mad to turn away from that.

I can't accept Goldson is leaving.
I hope he will sign a new contract very soon, we can't afford to lose him.

I think he might be the big “surprise” departure over the summer, unfortunate if so because he has been incredible and will be difficult to replace.

The chance to play back in the Premiership and enjoy a massive hike in wages must be a temptation. If it wasn’t then this contract extension would have been sorted out a while ago.

I wouldn’t criticise him at all if he does go to be honest. It’s a short career and all that.. and he absolutely led this team over the last season in particular.

Goldson has never kept it a secret that he wants to play in the EPL. If he doesn’t go now, when is it going to do that?

Common sense says he’s off.

The one thing we can't offer is the money he'll make down south. Sign of the times unfortunately, but the riches of the EPL is the holy grail for a lot of players nowadays, not medals,trophies etc.

I agree, I am fairly confident of a new sponsor that the club have done a deal with as well and it looks like the announcement is getting held back also
You’ve posted that in a couple of threads now. I assume you don't mean the main shirt sponsor, given we extended the 32Red deal a couple of weeks ago? Either that or you’re just plain wrong.

I could see a Goldson announcement being tied in with the shirt reveal but, if I'm honest, the delay is starting to become a concern for me. Could also throw into the equation that he gets married soon (this week?) and that could, perhaps, be one of the delays if he was focussed first on finishing the season and now on his wedding.

Last edited:

That's a huge risk to take, there are only a few days between the final qualifier and the window closing.

We would be hoping for more than 1 year.

Why would we want a short extension?
It protects everyone, he has intimated a long term ambition of playing in PL, and realistically a long term deal could price him out of a fee that would be baulked at for a guy who would be in his 30’s when it is close to expiring.

A 1-year deal means that we would likely get a fee if he leaves in next 12-18 months, and he gets a crack at UCL with us and could be in EPL by the time he’s 30. Such a deal also gives him a bit of security in the event of an injury.

But if he has binned the EPL ambition, we should be seeking to get him to sign a 2-3 year extension and hope that he sees his career out with us.

Hope he signs as he has been immense for us, all players want a crack at the English Premiership league and even going to a mid to lower EPL team could see him treble or quadruple his wages, would love him to stay but wouldn't hold it against him if he wanted the move. We would get good money for him at the moment.

Goodson and Kent are the two players I truly worry about losing. They would be our hardest players to replace for different reasons:

Kent because a player of that type of verve, skill, work-rate, would be extremely hard to find at the kind of money we spend. Attacking players like this don’t come around very often in the Scottish game. He is a difference maker in Scotland and Europe.

Goldson because he is the natural leader in the team, and organisational leader in that back four. He has done his time, paid his dues in our side to become the player he is now. He said recently we have been working on this for 3 years. You can’t just slot another player in to his position and expect him to do the same organisational/inspirational job that Goldson does - that takes a year or two - as it did him. That’s why he is a constant in the team.

Goodson and Kent are the two players I truly worry about losing. They would be our hardest players to replace for different reasons:

Kent because a player of that type of verve, skill, work-rate, would be extremely hard to find at the kind of money we spend. Attacking players like this don’t come around very often in the Scottish game. He is a difference maker in Scotland and Europe.

Goldson because he is the natural leader in the team, and organisational leader in that back four. He has done his time, paid his dues in our side to become the player he is now. He said recently we have been working on this for 3 years. You can’t just slot another player in to his position and expect him to do the same organisational/inspirational job that Goldson does - that takes a year or two - as it did him. That’s why he is a constant in the team.
Yip.

Goldson is the cornerstone of our defence and our chances of qualifying for the UCL group stage would be reduced without him. I am certain that a deal will be done.

The next year or so will be his last chance of ever playing in the UCL, and I'd be amazed if he passes this opportunity.

I believe he still does have EPL ambitions, but could still do that after impressive performances in the UCL, and club could get a healthy fee. Everyone wins.

A 1-year extension would be a sensible option for all.

He has stated an ambition to play regular in EPL, but owes it to himself to have a shot at CL, which he won't get in England.
Sorry mate but at 28 years old in his prime and how good he has been for us there's no way on earth a 1 year offer is gona happen. If we offered him a 1 year deal he would laugh his way out the door he will be looking for the best contract of his career right now not a 1 year deal. Would be an insult if the club even had that option on the table imo.

Feel like surely he’s signed one. Played every minute, vice captain. Crack at the champions league next season.

You’d like to think that motivates a player. Granted he could probably earn double down south.

He’s on his stag just now, hopefully things will become clearer after his wedding/honeymoon. Would dearly love him to extend but bracing myself for a painful goodbye.

If he goes it’ll be a sore one but he’ll go with my best wishes.

Back