Will we see any changes to the coaching staff?

Clement mid February…

A number of teams have had success with a set-piece coach, is that something you might look at in the future?

No
, because I love set pieces and that is a thing of the past but is also a reason, I think I played a lot of games as I scored a lot of goals from set pieces so I will not give away that part.

Hmmm. He’ll need a rethink there.

Clement talking about a lot of changes within the club over the summer.

I’d love to see us appoint a proper set piece coach and let Colin Stewart stick to the gk coaching.

Clement is the set piece coach, Colin Stewart only gives info on where they are standing/covering at set pieces when being subbed on.

Priority in this area for me is an actual Defensive Coach -- somebody who can improve what defenders we have, in their positioning, concentration, closing down, tackling & blocking, heading (especially !) and just in general going for the ball rather than standing and wondering where it's going to go next.

imo if we'd had such a proper defensive coach in already, it might have covered up some of the individual flaws in our existing players.

Then again, we still need to have defenders with physique, pace and a bit of bravery about them.
We're currently sadly lacking in most of that back there.

I think its more than sentiment , the most capped NI player, with us in good and bad times so seen the lot, a good player and respected, played in the premiership for years.

Compare that to Alex Rae , we dont seem to be doing that great at present.

We need one or two ex players in the background imo, look at Beale and GVB who chose not too.
Is he a good coach?
The main issue.

We thought Michael Beale was a good coach.
I'm asking about Davis.
Never mentioned Beale.
This is Rangers.
Not a charity or a jobs for the boys.
Get the best coach we can and I can guarantee that ain't Davis.
Might turn out to be a great coach.
We need the best.

I think Davis will prove to be a solid coach in the game.
He has the attributes as a player.
Is now the opportunity to employ a coach just for local knowledge?
I'd say KT, Mcann or even Barry can bring that.
We tried It with JJ.

Certainly be changes to the medical dept given his scathing comments on general fitness

I'm asking about Davis.
Never mentioned Beale.
This is Rangers.
We need the best.
Get off your high horse

I'm asking about Davis.
Never mentioned Beale.
This is Rangers.
We need the best.
I don't understand why people on here are so against giving ex players jobs at the club. Davis played at the highest level his whole career, played under some great managers.
There is no reason why he won't go on to be a good coach so why not get him at the start of that journey.

I would like to see Steve Davis back in the coaching / backroom setup.
Mate I think we'd all like to see Davis back at the club - I wish he was still playing - but he needs to earn it & he hasn't done that yet. He might be an awful coach for all we know.

In the same vein - there were shouts for McGregor to move straight into our GK coaching set up when he retired, despite his lack of coaching experience, and the feeling he probably wouldn't be suited to coaching in general.

I don't understand why people on here are so against giving ex players jobs at the club. Davis played at the highest level his whole career, played under some great managers.
There is no reason why he won't go on to be a good coach so why not get him at the start of that journey.
You kidding?
They're forever wanting ex players on here.
He may well go on to be a great coach.
Rangers aren't guinea pigs. We need the finished article, an experienced coach who will improve us immediately.
It's actually unbelievable a football fan doesn't know this.

Certainly be changes to the medical dept given his scathing comments on general fitness
I assumed that Dr Mark Waller had been brought back to get to the root causes of our never ending injuries, introduce prevention & recovery strategies & everything else in between.

That's almost a year since his return (I July) - perhaps that's not enough time to turn things around in the medical world, but all I know is that our players are still going down like ninepins...

Perhaps we are about to witness the changes Waller thinks we need?

Clement talking about a lot of changes within the club over the summer.

I’d love to see us appoint a proper set piece coach and let Colin Stewart stick to the gk coaching.
I think there will be changes. What they will be I don't know but I hope we employ a fitness coach that makes the players not only fitter but more physical. Middleton and Fox from SAS Are You Tough Enough would be a start.

You kidding?
They're forever wanting ex players on here.
He may well go on to be a great coach.
Rangers aren't guinea pigs. We need the finished article, an experienced coach who will improve us immediately.
It's actually unbelievable a football fan doesn't know this.
I'm not one for wanting ex players back to for the first team but certain ex players I would take back as coaches and Davis is one of them.
The people on here who moan about jobs for the boys are the ones who will be moaning that we don't have enough Rangers men at the club when things aren't going well.

Interesting way of spinning it. No evidence that he is a good coach needs to be offered because, in your opinion, there is no reason why he won't go on to be a good coach. So the onus is on the sceptical to prove he wont be a good coach and we should just assume absent that proof that he will be good. I think we should probably be looking for some evidence of his quality rather than just assume it's there.
I'm genuinely surprised that there are people who still believe that based on nothing more than watching a player they can assess whether they will be a good coach
What does Davis have that Gough, John Brown or Barry Ferguson don't ? None of them proved to be good coaches
Outside Rangers how about Frank Lampard, Solskjær or Gary Neville. What did they lack that Steve Davis has
Going further back. The England team that won the World Cup. What qualities did the likes of Bobby Moore, Bobby Charlton and Matin Peters lack that caused them to fail but you can see in Davis?
I'd say it's impossible for a fan who only has normal fan access to a game to look at a player and "know" he will be a big success as a coach. If you look at the top guys in the EPL or even the SPL there's plenty that didn't have particularly noteworthy playing careers

We need a strong backroom staff, we currently don't have one. I hope there is changes.

Peter Leven is someone I wouldn't mind seeing come in.

Do coaching roles not tend to be given to people the manager knows and trusts? It's not like they'll advertise and interview for the position.

Clement mid February…

A number of teams have had success with a set-piece coach, is that something you might look at in the future?

No
, because I love set pieces and that is a thing of the past but is also a reason, I think I played a lot of games as I scored a lot of goals from set pieces so I will not give away that part.
Remember that well .

But it could change remember just last week he said he is doing too much too many things required he would have to reappraise .

Like other posters I see the big changes in the area we all talk talk talk about medical and performance but I would also expect another in his coaching group .

Why is he clearly a very good coach?

It’s a myth.

I don’t see how anyone watching us play under him could think otherwise.
I’d say that during most of Gerrard reign we looked like a well coached side. According to Gerrard himself Beale did all the coaching.

As previous poster eluded to it was recruitment and clearly man management side that Beale struggled with on his return.

Last edited:
Back