Rangers History Willie Henderson

8bde6159046d02b3f8f5a540c90454db.jpg

Wee Wullie. Brilliant. A true legend and a real gent. I was spoiled watching such a great team back then. Wee Wullie was outstanding. To be selected for that World team along with Slim Jim tells all of us how good he was. Think of that. A world class team with 2 Rangers players. Puts it all into perspective.

Can’t remember who against that he made his Ibrox debut.
But when the team came out of the tunnel,there was this wee boy in amongst the men.What a surprise we all got as the game progressed.
The wee man had us all drooling,he was a revelation,and became an instant hero us all in the terraces.
Glass raised,Happy birthday Willie.:))
My old man was a massive Alex Scott fan and was none to pleased (his own words) when Wee Willie was named instead of Scott. I asked him years later, " how long did it take, for you to realise Henderson was better"? About 2 mins was his reply.
I've never seen a better winger.

Think Jim Forrest actually scored the consolation goal for Aberdeen.
He did indeed, but it wasn't so much a consolation goal. Forrest scored seconds before Half Time, totally against the run of play, with a superb Left foot strike, that crashed off the inside post, and into the net, to put Aberdeen right back into the game at 1-2, going in at the break.
We of course destroyed them in that second half, with a scintillating performance, and a Willie Johnston Hat Trick. Despite the Hat Trick, Willie Henderson got Man of the Match!

It was the third goal that Forrest had scored against us that season.
He scored twice in a 3-2 win at Ibrox for Aberdeen, back in October, in the League Game.

Rangers signed Colin Stein 5 days later!

Happy birthday Willie - the legend was lucky enugh to get a photo taken with me and my dad :) at a speakers night. Great guy and was a pleasure listening to his stories.
Also got a photograph with the wee man and my son when he was over here a few years ago. Tells a great story. The tale of the hole in the coach is hilarious. Saw him at 1405 a few years before, which enticed me to join the Lodge.

Wee Wullie. Brilliant. A true legend and a real gent. I was spoiled watching such a great team back then. Wee Wullie was outstanding. To be selected for that World team along with Slim Jim tells all of us how good he was. Think of that. A world class team with 2 Rangers players. Puts it all into perspective.
I know that team of Ritchie Shearer Caldow etc. only actually played a handful of games together as an XI, but when you had World Class players as in Henderson and Baxter, probably our greatest Left Back ever in Eric Caldow, the Greatest ever Ranger in John Greig, the most prolific goalscoring winger in Davy Wilson, a striking partnership that would set the bar forevermore in Millar and Brand, the genius of Ian McMillan, the toughness, and consistency of Bobby Shearer as a Captain, and that wonderful Centre Half, Ronnie McKinnon, who would go on to make more appearances than anyone in the 1960's, it is easy to see why, that is the most revered XI for most of us.

You are correct, the great Jimmy Johnstone never earned a solitary cap whilst Stein was in charge of Scotland

In his first spell as Scotland manager (1965), Stein was in charge for 7 games which included 5 World Cup Qualifiers.
Stein selected Henderson in the first 6 games.
Johnstone who had been selected for 2 games under Ian McColl the previous season (whilst Henderson was out injured), was never once selected by Stein.
In the 7th game, with Henderson out injured v Italy (a) , Stein surprisingly chose Jim Forrest as his No.7.

In his 7 game tenure in 1965, Stein gave International debuts to Willie Johnston, Jim Forrest, and Ronnie McKinnon, and also recalled Davie Provan to the side.
The only Celtic player he gave a debut to was Bobby Murdoch.
John Greig was the only ever present to play in all 7 Games.
This is a thread about 'the wee barra'. And wonderful it is too.

But seeing as you have mentioned 'stinky'. Ba face put him up for a 'free' in the summer/close season of 1965.

You won't get many yahoos shouting about that one.

But seeing as you have mentioned 'stinky'. Ba face put him up for a 'free' in the summer/close season of 1965.

I never knew that. That is some great info.

I knew Stein obviously rated Henderson higher when he was in charge of Scotland for 7 games in 1965, when Henderson was selected for the first 6, injured for the 7th game, and still Johnstone never got a look in.

Having looked at Stein's 12 games when he took charge of Celtic in the latter part of the 64-65 season, I see that Johnstone only played in 5 of those 12 games, and not once in a winning side.
2 draws, and 3 defeats, that included a 2-6 defeat at Falkirk, a 1-5 defeat at Dunfermline, and a 1-2 home loss to Partick Thistle.
Prior to Stein going to the piggery in March 65', Johnstone had made only 4 appearances, since the turn of the year, all in January, and Celtic failed to win any of those 4 games (3 defeats, 1 draw).
That's 9 appearances in the second half of the 64-65 campaign and not once in a winning side!
Makes perfect sense now, why Stein would have been happy to see the back of the little Pygmy Bastard.

ASK Vowarts - I'm sure i watched that on TV at the time altough I don't know if it was the replay or not or why I was off school. Maybe I'm mistaken but I recall Brand scoring through the side netting that hadn't been tied down properly. You just need to look at the 1963 Wemblet match to see Willie cutting though the English defence to get the penalty that Baxter stroked effortlessly past Banks. Rangers 2 England 1
Brands goal through the side net which did not count was the first game in Germany which we won 2-1.
I remember seeing the goals on the 6oclock news as it was an early kickoff.
I don’t think the game was shown live though.

Brands goal through the side net which did not count was the first game in Germany which we won 2-1.
I remember seeing the goals on the 6oclock news as it was an early kickoff.
I don’t think the game was shown live though.
That was the game that basically gave Henderson his big chance at Rangers.
Alex Scott injured his back in that game in Berlin, and Henderson who had made just 3 appearances the previous season, and none in the 22 games played so far in that 61-62 campaign, was brought in as the obvious replacement for Scott, and cemented his place as Rangers Right Winger, and would go on to play 430 games over the next 10 years.

Willie Henderson is considered by many, to be Thee Greatest Right Winger ever to have played for Rangers.
Personally speaking, he was my first ever real hero, and in my lifetime, he is without a shadow of a doubt, the greatest Right Winger I have ever seen.

Henderson had electric pace that could leave any defender for dead, he could dribble inside or outside an opponent, he could cross the ball magnificently, he could pass the ball with precision, and he could shoot too, when the opportunity presented itself.
In this day and age of stats and thats, Henderson would sit atop of all others in the 'assist' column.

He was born on 24th Jan 1944, in Caldercruix, North Lanrkshire
He signed professional forms for Rangers on his 17th birthday.
Six weeks later on March 11th 1961, Willie Henderson, a raw 17 year old kid, who was probably the shortest player in Scotland, and also a tad short on the eyesight, was making his debut for The Rangers in a League match at home to Clyde.
Rangers won 2-1 with goals from Davy Wilson and George McLean (not the Dandy one).
Also in the side that day, having made his own debut only four days earlier, was a 20 year old Ronnie McKinnon, playing at Right Half.
These two youngsters would go on to play in the same side on more than 400 occasions, and make some 900 appearances between them, for Rangers, over the next ten years.
At that point in the season, Rangers were running away with the Title, sitting 6 points clear of Kilmarnock with 6 games to play. (2 pts for a win in those days)
Rangers would drop 6 points in their next four games when they failed to win any of them.
Kilmarnock took 7 from 8, (beating Rangers 2-0 along the way)
and with 2 games left to play trailed Rangers by only 1 point.
Hibs were the visitors to Ibrox for that must win penultimate game, and the young Henderson was recalled to a badly wounded Rangers side that had lost 1-6 at Pittodrie three days earlier.
Rangers would win 1-0 thanks to a Ian McMillan goal, but the game was not without drama.
Hibs goalkeeper Ronnie Simpson would save his 7th penalty of the season, from Alex Scott.
Henderson in only his third game was carried off with torn ankle ligaments.
This forced him to miss any chance of being involved in the Title clincher at Ibrox, which Rangers won 7-3 v Ayr Utd, or the ECWC semi final (2nd leg) v Wolves, and the two-legged ECWC Final itself v Fiorentina.

The 1961-62 season saw Henderson establish himself in the team, making 22 appearances in all competitions
He would make his European debut in a European Cup tie v ASK Vowarts (E.Germany) in Malmo. This was Rangers home tie, but the East Germans were refused visas, hence the reason the game was played in Sweden.
Henderson scored after 36 mins to give Rangers a 1-0 lead.
Unfortunately, the game was abandoned (Fog) after 45 mins. and Henderson's first ever goal for Rangers did not count.
The game was played the following morning, and Rangers won 4-1 with Henderson scoring the fourth. (and this time it counted).
On March 17th, Henderson lined up in the unfamiliar position of outside left for a league match at Brockville, that will always be remembered for Davy Wilson being moved to centre forward, and scoring six times as Rangers won 7-1.
By the end of that season, Willie Henderson had displaced Scotland's first choice right winger Alex Scott, to second choice right winger for Rangers.
Henderson would collect his first medal as Rangers beat St Mirren 2-0 in the Scottish Cup Final.

62-63 saw Rangers produce some of their best football ever with a forward line of Henderson, McMillan, Millar, Brand and Wilson.
Although Baxter and McMillan were the ones 'with the vision', Henderson was very much a supplier to his other three forwards, as Messrs Millar, Brand and Wilson, between them scored a staggering 112 goals that season.
That record of 3 different Forwards all scoring 30 plus goals each, in the same season, is a record that stood for over 50 years, until Barcelona finally achieved this in the 2015-16 season with Messi, Saurez and Neymar.
Henderson weighed in with 8 of his own in that 62-63 season, and would score the only goal of the game in a 1-0 win at Parkhead in Sept.
Rangers would go on to win the Double of League Championship and Scottish Cup.
Henderson would feature in 46 of 54 games.
He won his first cap for Scotland at aged 18 (replacing Alex Scott) on 20th Oct 1962, scoring the decisive third goal in a 3-2 win over Wales at Ninian Park.
To this day, Henderson is the second youngest debutant for the National side since 1929.
In the last 90 years, only Denis Law (by 31 days) was younger when making his debut for Scotland.
Henderson also scored in his second appearance three weeks later in 5-1 win v N.Ireland at Hampden.
In Feb 63' Alex Scott (having made only 4 League appearances that season) moved to Everton.
In April, Henderson would tear the English defence to ribbons, as 10 man Scotland claimed a famous 2-1 victory at Wembley.
(Baxter scored twice, Caldow had his leg broken, and Davy Wilson played at left back).
In June, Henderson scored in the Bernabeu as Scotland hammered Spain 6-2.
He was still a teenager in a young Scotland side where everyone else was between 23 and 27.

He was a star in arguably Rangers best ever forward line.

63-64 Rangers won the Treble, and Henderson played in 47 of the 52 games that season.
As a 20 year old, Henderson already had 2 Scottish League Titles, 3 Scottish Cup Winners and 2 League Cup Winners medals in his wee cabinet.
The following season 64-65, on November 21st, Rangers announce that Willie Henderson will be out for the remainder of the season, with bunion trouble.
Just over Two months later, at the end of January, Willie Henderson returned to the Rangers side, and played in every one of the 19 remaining games that season.
He also played 4 games for Scotland, and was selected to play for the WORLD XI, in an Exhibition Match against a Stanley Matthews XI (that included Jim Baxter).
Henderson would score for the World XI.

65-66, Henderson played in 39 of 51 games, and collected a Scottish Cup winners medal.
66-67, Henderson played in 51 of 55 games, as Rangers went all the way to the Final of the ECWC.
67-68, Henderson played in 36 of the 51 games, this despite missing almost three months of the season.
68-69, Henderson played in 51 of 55 games, and was selected for 'The Rest of Britain' v Wales.
69-70, Henderson played in 36 of 47 games.
70-71, Henderson played in 45 of 53 games. In Dec, he replaced Johann Cruyff as a sub for 'The Rest of the World' v Benfica

In his time at Ibrox, Henderson had witnessed Eric Caldow, Jim Baxter, Davy Wilson, Willie Johnston, Davie Provan, Dave Smith(twice), and Ronnie McKinnon all suffer leg breaks,yet the attention paid to his own bunion problems, seemed to gain many more columns in what media we had back then.
Despite all his injury problems, from the time he established himself in the team in 1961, until he was phased out 10 years later, Willie Henderson played in over 400 games for Rangers.

It is worth noting that Wee Willie won 17 of his 29 Caps for Scotland after the bunion problem, that, despite being in direct competition to Celtic's greatest ever....Jimmy Johnstone.
Whilst in direct competition Henderson won 27 Caps to Johnstone's 11, and some of those 11 were gained at the expense of an injured Henderson.
Not much doubt here as to who was the better of the two.
Jimmy Johnstone won more than half of his 23 Caps, AFTER Willie Henderson had retired from International football in April 1971.
Unlike his ginger haired buddy, Henderson was direct, lightning fast, a fantastic dribbler, could cross, could pass, could finish, he had it all.

To this day, I still have many a image in my head of wee Wullie,
of those six inch red turnovers on his socks,
of those bandy legs that could be easily nutmegged, with both feet locked together,
of the wee barra taking a corner kick, in a glossy Citizen Colour Special,
but my all time favourite image of him was not on the field of play, it was the night we beat Celtic in the Scottish Cup Final replay, with a Kai Johansen special, in 1966, and there is a picture of Henderson stepping out of the players entrance at Hampden that night, with a huge cigar between his lips, and both arms raised aloft in triumph.

Willie Henderson is a Rangers Legend.
Another wonderful article.

I always cite 1962 as how good Henderson must have been. Scotland beat England at Hampden for the first time in a quarter of a century.

The regular Scotland right winger, Alex Scott, plays. but is by that time a Rangers reserve. That's how good 17 y/o Willie Henderson was.

Simply incredible.

Henderson played as well as in that game

If this is the Stanley Matthew tribute match, wee 'ten-a-penny' tells a wonderful wee story.

He said, him and Baxter are waiting for the bus to take them to the game.

Baxter - wee man, go and get us two good seats
Henny - Where are you going?
Baxter - Nowhere, it's just that Puskas and Di Stefano are coming and they want my autograph.

This is a thread about 'the wee barra'. And wonderful it is too.

So the retort from them on Johnston (who IMHO isn't even the best winger with that or a similar surname) is that;

He didn't get the number of caps he deserved (shite, there were not nearly as many internationals then)

And it wasn't Stein who picked the squad/team, it was a committee of selectors. Is there any truth to that. It would almost seem irrelevant though, if it appears Stein didn't rush to play him at Celtic. Even if he was in the Squad, he wouldn't have started.

If this is the Stanley Matthew tribute match, wee 'ten-a-penny' tells a wonderful wee story.

He said, him and Baxter are waiting for the bus to take them to the game.

Baxter - wee man, go and get us two good seats
Henny - Where are you going?
Baxter - Nowhere, it's just that Puskas and Di Stefano are coming and they want my autograph.
Maybe I’m mistaken, my point being Henderson got picked for a world 11 side .

So the retort from them on Johnston (who IMHO isn't even the best winger with that or a similar surname) is that;

He didn't get the number of caps he deserved (shite, there were not nearly as many internationals then)

And it wasn't Stein who picked the squad/team, it was a committee of selectors. Is there any truth to that. It would almost seem irrelevant though, if it appears Stein didn't rush to play him at Celtic. Even if he was in the Squad, he wouldn't have started.
You ought to keep better company, and stop mixing with, and listening to shite.

I think I've answered this earlier in the thread.

There was no committee picking the team/squad in 1965. It was Stein.
Stein was in charge for 7 games which included 5 World Cup Qualifiers.
Johnstone who had been selected for 2 games under Ian McColl the previous season (whilst Henderson was out injured), was never once selected by Stein.
In the 7th game, with Henderson out injured v Italy (a), Stein surprisingly chose Jim Forrest as his No.7.
In his 7 game tenure in 1965, Stein gave International debuts to Willie Johnston, Jim Forrest, and Ronnie McKinnon, and also recalled Davie Provan to the side.

Jock Stein never once considered Jimmy Johnstone worthy of a Scotland Cap!

Overall, whilst in direct competition Henderson won 27 Caps to Johnstone's 11, and some of those 11 were gained at the expense of an injured Henderson.
Jimmy Johnstone won more than half of his 23 Caps, AFTER Willie Henderson had retired from International football in April 1971.

Talked to the wee man about that game, asked him what it was like to play in that company. He told me good players play nice passes with nice pace. The great players play passes with perfect pace to where you should be. It's like snooker, the pass is there so all your thinking of is your next touch, your already a step ahead of the defender.
I don't want to derail a thread about wee Willie, but the bit in bold - I've said that, many times, about Jim Baxter. He sometimes passed to feet, but much more often he put the ball where his teammate should be. A wonderful example is his (short) through ball to John Greig, for the goal against Italy at Hampden. Perfect pace, inches away from two Italian defenders, Greig just had to sweep it into the net.

I always cite 1962 as how good Henderson must have been. Scotland beat England at Hampden for the first time in a quarter of a century.

The regular Scotland right winger, Alex Scott, plays. but is by that time a Rangers reserve. That's how good 17 y/o Willie Henderson was.

Simply incredible.

At that point in time he was rated as one of the best wingers in world football. I saw him play a fair bit during those years and I rated the Henderson of that time (pre-bunion op) as our best winger until the day that Laudrup walked into Ibrox. My memories of watching Henderson back then will always be the roar of anticipation at Ibrox whenever he got the ball.

You ought to keep better company, and stop mixing with, and listening to shite.

I think I've answered this earlier in the thread.

There was no committee picking the team/squad in 1965. It was Stein.
Stein was in charge for 7 games which included 5 World Cup Qualifiers.
In the 7th game, with Henderson out injured v Italy (a), Stein surprisingly chose Jim Forrest as his No.7.

Jock Stein never once considered Jimmy Johnstone worthy of a Scotland Cap!

Overall, whilst in direct competition Henderson won 27 Caps to Johnstone's 11, and some of those 11 were gained at the expense of an injured Henderson.
Great explanation. I’ll be using that.

My old man used to say of Stein at that time that he would play 10 players out of position and it was only 10 because no one else would play in goal! He also maintained that Willie was much better than Johnstone who was a passenger unless Celtic were winning.

His memories of Willie were better than mine. The last time I saw Willie (you were leaving right behind us) he was in the front seat of my car pissing himself laughing at me trying to put the back seats down. I always wished my old man was there to see that.

Simply incredible.
Looking at that classic Scotland line up from 1962, 7 of the 11 players were 23 years old or younger!
John White was 24, Alex Scott was 25, and Captain Caldow was 27.
Bill Brown the old man in Goals was 30.
Just 6 months (and 2 games) later, Ian McColl just had to give that No.7 shirt to an 18 year old Willie Henderson.
To this day, Henderson is the second youngest debutant for the National side in the last 95 years. (3rd youngest in 135 years).
Only Denis Law (by 31 days) was younger when making his debut for Scotland.

Looking at that classic Scotland line up from 1962, 7 of the 11 players were 23 years old or younger!
John White was 24, Alex Scott was 25, and Captain Caldow was 27.
Bill Brown the old man in Goals was 30.
Just 6 months (and 2 games) later, Ian McColl just had to give that No.7 shirt to an 18 year old Willie Henderson.
To this day, Henderson is the second youngest debutant for the National side in the last 95 years. (3rd youngest in 135 years).
Only Denis Law (by 31 days) was younger when making his debut for Scotland.
And apparently we were looking at John White, before Spurs got a hold of him.

At that point in time he was rated as one of the best wingers in world football. I saw him play a fair bit during those years and I rated the Henderson of that time (pre-bunion op) as our best winger until the day that Laudrup walked into Ibrox. My memories of watching Henderson back then will always be the roar of anticipation at Ibrox whenever he got the ball.
The magic he showed as a Teenager was amazing, but I've always thought too much was made of his bunion issues.
I can think of 8 Rangers players who suffered broken legs during Henderson's time at Ibrox, but Willie's bunion problems always seemed to get more attention in the media.
1964-65, on November 21st, Rangers announce that Willie Henderson will be out for the remainder of the season, with bunion trouble.
Just over Two months later, at the end of January, Willie Henderson returned to the Rangers side, and played in every one of the 19 remaining games that season. He also played 4 games for Scotland.

It is worth noting that Wee Willie won 17 of his 29 Caps for Scotland after the bunion problem, that, despite being in direct competition to Celtic's greatest ever....Jimmy Johnstone.

And apparently we were looking at John White, before Spurs got a hold of him.
I didn't know that, but we had signed the Wee Prime Minister in Oct 1958, though the prospect of White and Baxter is certainly mouthwatering.
So many great players in the Scottish League in that late 50's/early 60's, that went on to have great careers in England.

Scotland could have fielded a team of Anglos.
Bill Brown
Dave MacKay, Ron Yeats, Ian Ure, Eddie McCreadie
Alex Scott, John White, Bobby Collins, Charlie Cooke
Ian St John, Alan Gilzean.

I'm sure there is a few more, that I have probably missed, though I have deliberately left out that rodent faced bigoted bastard that went to Man Utd, and is still not deid yet!

Unfortunately, seeing Willie Henderson play in his hey days, was before my time but love hearing the old stories!
Luckily I got to see him play at Windsor Park, in George Best's testimonial game in 1988!
I have also been lucky to meet him several times & heard him & Andy Goram speak at a function, while in Tenerife years ago!
A Rangers legend!
zaplifv.jpg

Unfortunately, seeing Willie Henderson play in his hey days, was before my time but love hearing the old stories!
Luckily I got to see him play at Windsor Park, in George Best's testimonial game in 1988!
I have also been lucky to meet him several times & heard him & Andy Goram speak at a function, while in Tenerife years ago!
A Rangers legend!
zaplifv.jpg
That's brilliant.
Willie Henderson would have been 44 years old in that game!

I didn't know that, but we had signed the Wee Prime Minister in Oct 1958, though the prospect of White and Baxter is certainly mouthwatering.
So many great players in the Scottish League in that late 50's/early 60's, that went on to have great careers in England.

Scotland could have fielded a team of Anglos.
Bill Brown
Dave MacKay, Ron Yeats, Ian Ure, Eddie McCreadie
Alex Scott, John White, Bobby Collins, Charlie Cooke
Ian St John, Alan Gilzean.

I'm sure there is a few more, that I have probably missed, though I have deliberately left out that rodent faced bigoted bastard that went to Man Utd, and is still not deid yet!

There were only three home Scots in the Wembley Wizards.

Harkness (QP), Dunn (Hibs) andd the immortal one on the left wing.

There were only three home Scots in the Wembley Wizards.

Harkness (QP), Dunn (Hibs) andd the immortal one on the left wing.
That's a surprise, given that the previous year's fixture at Hampden there was only two Anglos in the the team.
I've often heard that there was a period when Anglo Scots were not favoured, though how true that ever was, I'm not sure.

I always thought when the English League v Scottish League started to lose it's appeal in the 1960's, we should have had an Annual Home Scots v Anglos.
We could have seen some great line ups on both sides in the 1960's.

Back