Willie Johnston has a beer before taking a corner

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
I'd never seen this before.

Playing for Vancouver Whitecaps before his second spell at Ibrox.
His team go a man down and a goal down.

"Bud" creates the equaliser.

Then near the end, he goes to take a corner, stops to take a swig of beer from a can given to him by a fan, then swings in a beauty right on the head of a teammate and they win 2-1.

Willie Johnston on the wing, never a dull moment!

Loved wee bud.
A better player than many gave him credit for.
By today's Afredo standards he would be tortured by the mhedia although he did not get an easy ride watt back then

Loved wee bud.
A better player than many gave him credit for.
By today's Afredo standards he would be tortured by the mhedia although he did not get an easy ride watt back then

I think there's an argument that he's the best player we've ever had who never won a league championship medal.

I'd never seen this before.

Playing for Vancouver Whitecaps before his second spell at Ibrox.
His team go a man down and a goal down.

"Bud" creates the equaliser.

Then near the end, he goes to take a corner, stops to take a swig of beer from a can given to him by a fan, then swings in a beauty right on the head of a teammate and they win 2-1.

Willie Johnston on the wing, never a dull moment!

Awesome,so many memories watching wee bud!

I've seen that a few times never tire of it
A journalist once told me had it been Budweiser that the fan had passed over " Bud " would have been made for life as they could have used it ,advertising, etc

Pretty sure he was suspended for it.

Brilliant player, we've got Willie, Willie, Willie, Willie Johnston on the wing, on the wing.......

My all time favourite Bear who twice, having played for us that day, came home from matches with Alfie Conn, on our Supporters Bus. True Story LOL.

Pretty sure he was suspended for it.

Brilliant player, we've got Willie, Willie, Willie, Willie Johnston on the wing, on the wing.......

Never realised that.

Can you imagine the social media reaction if a player did it now!

I think there's an argument that he's the best player we've ever had who never won a league championship medal.

He won a League Cup winners medal in only his 4th appearance in a Rangers shirt at the age of 17, as Rangers lifted their SIXTH consecutive domestic trophy.
Hard to imagine at the time, that he would be a Rangers stalwart for the next 8 seasons, and not gain a League Championship.

If I’m not mistaken you always see a banner at Vancouver Whitecaps games saying “Willie’s Corner” at the approximate location where the incident took place, albeit at an away ground. He is still fondly remembered by Whitecaps fans by all accounts
Yes, he was away getting his passport renewed yesterday for another trip back to VC. Celebrating the 40th anniversary of a cup win or something. He`s been back over as their guest a few times over the years.

I’m pretty sure he did that playing for Rangers, forget who against, picked up the beer can and pretended to drink, or am I wrong?

I seem to member that as well but can't remember who it was against.
I remember at Easter Road in December 79 George Best having a can of lager launched at him as he went to take a corner - I 'll never forget the whizzing noise as it flew over my head and just missed Georgie. Cool as a cucumber he picks up the can takes a swig and then takes the corner. Everybody loved it. Unfortunately we got beat 2-1.

I remember at Easter Road in December 79 George Best having a can of lager launched at him as he went to take a corner - I 'll never forget the whizzing noise as it flew over my head and just missed Georgie. Cool as a cucumber he picks up the can takes a swig and then takes the corner. Everybody loved it. Unfortunately we got beat 2-1.
I remember Best doing that,there was a bit of humour in the game back then,he would probably get a red card and sent for counselling if it happened today.

I’m pretty sure he did that playing for Rangers, forget who against, picked up the beer can and pretended to drink, or am I wrong?
Didn't he do something similar in his WBA days? Maybe signing a few autographs during a match when he was waiting to take a corner?

Bud was my favourite player as a kid, was always a bit down if he wasn't playing, others on the park always made up for it though. :)
His two goals in the CWC Final was simply amazing, was so happy about that. I didn't cry when he left us soon after...I trashed the house instead.:))

Two seasons back someone in Atlanta launched a beer cup at Altidore after he scored and Giovinco picked it up and finished it

My all time favourite.

Ive got a cracking picture taken inside Ibrox with Bud, Doddie, Colin Stein, Peter McCloy and me. I showed it to an old fellow in a pub in Bridgeton during a televised Rangers' game. I asked him if he could identify the faces. He got them all right but said he didnt recognise the guy in the middle. I told him it was me and he replied, "and who the %^*& are you"? I burst out laughing and told him I was nobody.

Bud was the last of the real bad boys in Scottish football. He had a low flashpoint and hence his reactions to being booted up and down the park were predictable.

True, but I don't recall any great clamour to offload him in the same way there is for Morelos.

How many times had Colin Stein been sent off in the 68/69 season when he received the long suspension that caused him miss the 69 cup final Alex?

I seem to remember this was one of the reasons that Waddell sold him to WBA.
I don`t know if it`s the truth cos I`ve never asked but there was a book 'Rangers, player by player' or something along these lines, and the chapter on Bud says we got rid as he was disruptive in the dressing room.
iirc the last sentence in the chapter was like, " Rangers lost a player but found a team".

I got him to sign his chapter for me to send the book to Canada and told him NOT to read the text but he did anyway :) Let`s just say he`s over it now :)

Anyway, just googled it and this is the book: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rangers-Player-Bob-Ferrier/dp/0600594955

Iirc it was for west Brom v rangers at Ibrox during a Tennant caledonian game. Just at the corner of terrace where the Copland meets the now jardine stand. Someone threw a can of beer towards bud and he picked it up to take a slug. Think he also sat on the ball that day.

Iirc it was for west Brom v rangers at Ibrox during a Tennant caledonian game. Just at the corner of terrace where the Copland meets the now jardine stand. Someone threw a can of beer towards bud and he picked it up to take a slug. Think he also sat on the ball that day.
Thanks mate. I knew I saw the Tennents can bounce and beer spill out before he picked it up.

I remember this too, and was just talking about it after the match at Motherwell last week, when Tav was bombarded with trash.

Having been on the terracing in the 70's, he was taking a hell of a chance drinking liquid out of a beer can. 90% chance it was pish.

Back