Podcast Women's Coach Malky Thomson looks back to the Celtic game and forward to Motherwell

How many games in a row is that they have lost to the Barrowfield Boots?
Barrowfield Boots. :D
The other week Glasgow City scored and on the thread someone posted " cows". :D :D

Don't want people to take offence but you've got to see the funny side.

Didn't they beat Glasgow City 5-1 at the start of last season?
Still not doing enough against them and that lot though, can't just keep beating the part timers and think that's good enough.
It was a very under strength City side. The fact City recruited well in January and went unbeaten the 2nd half of the season tells its own story.

Rangers haven't beaten Celtic since 2017 which is 3 (maybe 4) managers ago.

Didn't they beat Glasgow City 5-1 at the start of last season?
Still not doing enough against them and that lot though, can't just keep beating the part timers and think that's good enough.
They did, I was specifically referring to Celtic here though.

Amy McDonald was the manager last time they beat Celtic, June 2017.

Are that lot and Glasgow city even full time? I thought they were a mix of full time and part time players

There are no excuses for not winning the league this season.

It was a very under strength City side. The fact City recruited well in January and went unbeaten the 2nd half of the season tells its own story.

Rangers haven't beaten Celtic since 2017 which is 3 (maybe 4) managers ago.
Yeah the stats against City and that other lot aren't good enough tbh can't just keep beating the smaller clubs and hope that's ok with the money invested, should be winning in all games now.

Absolutely, Motherwell tomorrow night should be another comfortable game but the big test will be away to Celtic on Sunday.
Is it a mentality thing? Is it the coaches? If they can't beat that lot on Sunday then I reckon a change will be coming after the investment the club have made so far in the RWFC, maybe that's what it's going to take, I don't wanna see coaches and staff loose jobs but something has to give here tbh

Is it a mentality thing? Is the coaches? If they can't beat that lot on Sunday then I reckon a change will be coming after the investment the club have made in the RWFC to date, maybe that's what it's going to take, I don't wanna see coaches and staff loose jobs but something has to give here tbh
There’s definitely something different about how we approach games against them. In saying that, last season we should’ve put a couple of games to bed before they’ve went up the pitch and scored, seems to be a lack of belief in front of goal against them.

I don’t think we’re good enough defensively for games against City and Celtic either.

Is it a mentality thing? Is the coaches? If they can't beat that lot on Sunday then I reckon a change will be coming after the investment the club have made in the RWFC to date, maybe that's what it's going to take, I don't wanna see coaches and staff loose jobs but something has to give here tbh.

There’s definitely something different about how we approach games against them. In saying that, last season we should’ve put a couple of games to bed before they’ve went up the pitch and scored, seems to be a lack of belief in front of goal against them.

I don’t think we’re good enough defensively for games against City and Celtic either.
Those were last minute sore ones to take, games were tight until final mins tbf

Are that lot and Glasgow city even full time? I thought they were a mix of full time and part time players

There are no excuses for not winning the league this season.
I think a few players are part time. Jo Love for example has a good job as a scientist

In the toughest games the differences have been narrow - and often down to that single comedy mistake, of swinging at a ball and missing for example, and the opposition (or us) taking advantage of it.

I think a few players are part time. Jo Love for example has a good job as a scientist
Glasgow City, Rangers and Celtic are all full time players and coaching staff. City have a slight hybrid but in the main, are pro.

Hibs and Spartans are a hybrid model with semi pro players and full time coaches (Hibs have a couple of full time pro players). FWIW I think Spartans are massively under achieving for what they have resource wise.

Motherwell, Partick Thistle, Hearts all have full time coaches / staff and pay expenses to players. Motherwell have 1 full time pro player and pay some hefty expenses.

Only Aberdeen and Accies dont pay players but Aberdeen have a full time staff member.

Last edited:
Glasgow City, Rangers and Celtic are all full time players and coaching staff. City have a slight hybrid but in the main, are pro.

Hibs and Spartans are a hybrid model with semi pro players and full time coaches (Hibs have a couple of full time pro players). FWIW I think Spartans are massively under achieving for what the have resource wise.

Motherwell, Partick Thistle, Hearts all have full time coaches / staff and pay expenses to players. Motherwell have 1 full time pro player and pay some hefty expenses.

Only Aberdeen and Accies dont pay players but Aberdeen have a full time staff member.
Great info, many thanks.

Hibs and Spartans are a hybrid model with semi pro players and full time coaches (Hibs have a couple of full time pro players). FWIW I think Spartans are massively under achieving for what they have resource wise.

How much will our girls be on per week? None of my business but curious to how it compares with the mens game even at lower level like Ayr United etc

How much will our girls be on per week? None of my business but curious to how it compares with the mens game even at lower level like Ayr United etc

Top earners around £30k I would imagine, lowest £18-£20k is most likely. Rest somewhere in between but I dont think anyone has anything longer than a 2 year deal.
Then the full backroom staff are all paid as well.

Top earners around £30k I would imagine, lowest £18-£20k is most likely. Rest somewhere in between but I dont think anyone has anything longer than a 2 year deal.
Then the full backroom staff are all paid as well.
I've just posted on the other thread, but possibly better here. I heard last night that one of our players is on £80k per year which is unsustainable in the current financial climate.

I've just posted on the other thread, but possibly better here. I heard last night that one of our players is on £80k per year which is unsustainable in the current financial climate.
80k? I cant think of anyone in the squad being able to command that amount. I'd imagine Jane Ross is the highest earner, but that's just my opinion

Back