World Leagues association and players union Fifapro threaten FIFA with legal action

I think it’s probably fair. I know the argument is they get paid huge money and live a life most people could only dream of, but at somepoint it must start to take a toll on physical health. The top teams play 60+ games, add the new CL format, and all the international games now, with nations league and even FIFA talking about world cups every 2 years.

It will be getting to the point the players are averaging a game every 4/5 days the whole year every year. Pre seasons are getting shorter as well. At what point can managers work on tactics and training? Now there’s talk about Saudi and America wanting games to be played over there for mega money as well which only adds to it.

It’s going the same way as F1, massive corporations wanting to milk as much money out of it as possible, and rich countries wanting to get a slice of it too, without any thought for the people who actually deliver the product.

I actually agree with them.

However I await the usual moans of “these overpaid chancers get paid so much they should just shut up and get on with it!”

There’s limits for everything though, players need a break physically, your body can only do so much.
I think we are seeing the strain on players bodies.look at how many players are out with muscle injuries over a season.players used to have a six week break between the end of the season and pre season now some are lucky if they get two or three weeks.

However I await the usual moans of “these overpaid chancers get paid so much they should just shut up and get on with it!”

There’s limits for everything though, players need a break physically, your body can only do so much.
There is limits, but at the same time you have owners making their players travel around the world playing friendlies because of sponsorship deals.

They do

But they also need to realise that the extra games are only to fund their wages

Less games and lower wages is the solution

With international football being voluntary not sure they can include those games.
It’s not Voluntary, if you refuse to play for your country they can have you banned from Club games, they can also ignore your retirement.

Not so sure it is now, I think the players are being paid in some way
They get an appearance fee I think as well as travel expenses

Thing is there is to much international football it adds to an already congested schedule

The only way to solve it is around either games decrease or they limit the number of games players can play per season

I think that the professional game will go the same way as employment law, restriction on hours/work.
Possibly something like no professional player is allowed to start more than 40 games in a calendar year. With strict monitoring of training schedules.

in the end its the players that ultimately have the power.

its all good and well having a Union to back your corner but when comes the point of action like a strike for example? Refuse to turn up and play.

I recall Maradona complaining about players being used as "show ponies" during Mexico 86 due to the altitude and the searing heat.

If the players feel that strongly about it then they need to take action

They do

But they also need to realise that the extra games are only to fund their wages

Less games and lower wages is the solution
Some are, some aren’t.
International games certainly aren’t, neither are 2nd cup competitions like the League Cup for example.

Clubs though also have to take their share of responsibility with needless glamour friendlies etc. that of course is purely financial.

I think that the professional game will go the same way as employment law, restriction on hours/work.
Possibly something like no professional player is allowed to start more than 40 games in a calendar year. With strict monitoring of training schedules.
It’ll get to the stage (if it hasn’t already) where teams will essentially carry 2 teams - one playing champions league, “glamour” friendlies, anything where the money is etc, and the 2nd string playing regular league and cup games to play lip service to the domestic game. Teams will want more money to pay for their bloated squads, travel, appearance fees. The saudis will be happy to pay it, and the brown envelopes will keep on flowing.

The top players barely get a break these days. 2/3 weeks tops during the summer. Their wages won’t stop their bodies breaking down. Just over the last couple of years there been more games added to the calendar via the Nations Cup or whatever it’s called. Between that and international qualifiers the season now runs until mid June, even in a non tournament summer. As of next season 2 more CL/EL games and also the FIFA Club World Cup being added into the calendar. Isn’t there also an extra game at the next World Cup due to the increase of teams?

Our league needs reduced to 34 matches.

We have three domestic competitions and anytime we go on any run in Europe our team ends up knackered.

Professional athletes can't sustain peaks for more than 12 weeks at a time. Loading needs managed.

Its not strictly voluntary. Unless you rule yourself out entirely, you cant just say im naw playing as you'll then get banned for your club team.
Even if you retire from international football, teams can theoretically still call you up and you have to attend or be banned for your club team.

It works on the basis of FAs respecting someone withdrawing or retiring from selection.

France enforced a call up of Makelele once even though he had retired.

I don't disagree that they are overplayed however can't help but feel more money in their pocket will make these 'concerns' disappear. The players have all the power but only ever want to use it in contract negotiations. Strange.

Limiting appearances per season would certainly add an interesting dynamic as managers would have to manage squads.

Would maybe level playing field up as long as the bigger teams squad sizes were still capped and didn't just have 2 1st team squads.

Yet NHL and NBA players can manage 80/90+ games a season plus then have to travel huge distances aswell albiet it is in a more compact season.

Even if you retire from international football, teams can theoretically still call you up and you have to attend or be banned for your club team.

It works on the basis of FAs respecting someone withdrawing or retiring from selection.

France enforced a call up of Makelele once even though he had retired.
That’s right, I seem to recall they refused his retirement, and threatened to ban him from playing for Chelsea if he never showed up!

Absolutely incredible bawbag behaviour of the very highest order.

It doesn’t help when teams are restricted to squads of 23 players, and fined if seen to play a weakened side.
Teams in Europe from the UK can play 55 to 60 games and to do that with 23 players and the kids is a guarantee to injuries. Relax the squad numbers to allow for injuries. The European championship has increased the squads to 26, which could mean 1xCB,1xCM,1xST added to the squad which would ease the problem of squad depth, albeit quality is down to the scouting and budgets.

What they should do is have the world Cup every 4 years, then have the euro, copa , African, Asian etc evey 4 year in between, and qualifying in between them, so in between seasons it'll be qualifying for world cup , then world's cup, then qualifying for euros, Asian etc, then euros etc, then the cycle starts again, players will be doing less games through the domestic season this way.

Yet NHL and NBA players can manage 80/90+ games a season plus then have to travel huge distances aswell albiet it is in a more compact season.
Don't watch these sports regularly but do they not have constant rolling subs?

Games are shorter and the courts/rinks are much smaller so I would imagine they cover much less distance per game

Oddly enough The NBA brought in a ruling this season making teams play their strongest team as a lot of teams were starting to rest their players for games for load management reasons

Back