Would a Cup double be a successful season in your view?

Would a Cup double constitute as a successful season?

• Yes

Votes: 506 48.8%
  • No

Votes: 530 51.2%

• Total voters
We were odds on favourite to win the league a few weeks ago.

How anyone can say being odds on favourite to win the league in April and then throwing it away can somehow still end with the season being successful is beyond me.

We’ve blown it, and winning the SC won’t change that.

Any season we don’t win the league is an unsuccessful season.

Without a doubt i'd take it with both hands. We have been drastically short of silverware for the past decade so two trophies in one season (something we haven't done for nearly 15 years) is a successful season in my books. Obviously you want the league but the two cups will do me.

YES but, the league is all in as far as getting our club back on track. £60m will go a long way to providing some stability and also to shut up those smug rotters on the other side of the city.

looking at the debacle when Phil came in + state of the squad + injuries we've had
probably its a success

reality is
we should be winning the league

The season would be remembered for losing the league from what looked like a strong position in April.

Objectively, winning both other domestic competitions and losing the league in the last couple of games is about as good as it gets otherwise. We'd also obviously have beaten Celtic in the final if that comes to pass.

I imagine I'd be pretty happy with that lot on the evening of May 25th but very shortly after would be glad the season was over and looking forward to next.

It will be the flatest cup win ever for either side IF they have not also won the league.
The fact both clubs have been so close to winning it in recent weeks along with the CL cash at stake will make a cup win feel.hollow if the title is lost. This goes for us and them. The title is everything.
Not that long ago St Johnstone won a cup double. Kind of puts it in perspective.
An Old Firm cup win will be flat

That's enough for me

Assuming we don't do the business in the league, would a cup double make up for it?

If you'd given me the choice of the league or a cup double at the start of the season I would have chosen the league every day of the week. The thought of losing another league title to them is absolutely devastating.

As it is, the damage Michael Beale caused has led to us where we are and if Clement can produce a Cup double from that I'd be relatively happy.
League is all that matters. Everything else is just nice window dressing. No point having pretty window dressing if you don't have windows.

Not so long ago, we were chasing a q Quadruple. If truth be told, two cups is a shite return on all those permutations.They would have been NOBODY'S first choice.

Considering the state we were in when the fraud Beale left then ending up with two domestic trophies and getting to last 16 of the Europa League should be considered at least a good season at best.

But when you look at the amount of chances we had to get into a good lead ahead of the scum after doing so well clawing back the points deficit and losing to a very beatable Benfica then understandably it should be considered as a very frustrating wasted opportunity to have a tremendous season. Too many faces at the club for too long, an awful summer transfer window by the above mentioned fraud and horrific luck with injuries have been our worst enemies this season.
The fact of the matter is that we were already in the semi of one before Beale left, with Celtic already out. And drawn against dross up until the final of this one. Hardly a massive achievement.

looking at the debacle when Phil came in + state of the squad + injuries we've had
probably its a success

reality is
we should be winning the league

This is where I'm at.

This team looked dead on its feet in October and if we're honest I think we all expected another trophy'less season with the lack of quality Clement inherited.

Ultimately that lack of quality and the injuries have played their part in our current league position, but if we can somehow come out of this season with two trophies then I'd be relatively happy with that.

That doesn't mean I don't think the thought of losing another league title to them is a bitter pill to swallow.

If you had asked at the start of October, I think resoundingly we would've all said yes at this point.

The fact Celtic faltered and then our team built up some consistency and to a point where we had control of our fate to throw it away, I think a cup double would only slightly alleviate some of the pain of this season but it would not be a success now.

Anyone who says yes after the position we've been in has let themselves become accustomed to some of the shite we've had to endure in the last decade. Winning is the only thing good enough at this club.

Gerrard should've had a treble in the 55 season - no excuses. There's no getting away from that fact.
Only in the same way Celtic should have had them from 2012 to 2021 or so, if you completely disrespect your opposition and don't factor in that anyone can win a cup tie on their day.

Or that we should never get by someone like Dortmund, Leipzig or the others we've got past in the last 6 or 7 years in Europe.

The league should have been won. They had it. We have seen far too much capitulation from certain players in this team. Enough is enough, Tavernier, Goldson has to leave. Two cups won’t change that.

From where we were when Clement came in then I think 2 cups and closing the gap is a credible season - we were even ahead at one point.

However, we failed to capitalise on that run and in the end dropped behind again by failing to beat them and dropping points in games we should have won.

Winning the league is the priority so in one sense it would be failure while potentially winning 2 cups would soften the blow a little

For Clement it would be a successful season. From the position he inherited nobody could have asked for more than both domestic cups and closing the gap in the league.

Not for the club though. Unless we win something big in Europe, any season we do not win the league must be classed as a failure.

When McLeish done the cup double in 2002, that was a success as there was never any hope of catching them in the league.
This time, it's different as we were in front with 10 games left and finishing second will be our failure.

When McLeish done the cup double in 2002, that was a success as there was never any hope of catching them in the league.
This time, it's different as we were in front with 10 games left and finishing second will be our failure.
How many points were we in front by?

Have you ever found yourself criticising Gerrard for not winning more cups while he was here or quoting the completely without context 1 in 9 shite?
Gerard’s Cup record wasn’t good enough FFS. Getting knocked out by Aberdeen x2, Hearts (who were bottom of the league), St Mirren and St Johnstone all in the space of 3 seasons is utterly dire, so I’m not sure what point your trying to make here other than glossing over us blowing the Title this season.

Neither are good enough

Give yourself peace

They are on for three in a row following a recent nine in a row, together with about five trebles thrown in.

We’ve got a similar wage bill to them (I actually think higher) so no, a cup double wouldn’t be a successful season.

The club has ran out of excuses and cannot live off the the context of 2012 any longer.

Gerard’s Cup record wasn’t good enough FFS. Getting knocked out by Aberdeen x2, Hearts (who were bottom of the league), St Mirren and St Johnstone all in the space of 3 seasons is utterly dire, so I’m not sure what point your trying to make here other than glossing over us blowing the Title this season.

Neither are good enough

Give yourself peace
You can't say on the one hand that not winning cups is bad while simultaneously saying that winning two isn't good enough. I thought it was fairly clear.

They are on for three in a row following a recent nine in a row, together with about five trebles thrown in.

We’ve got a similar wage bill to them (I actually think higher) so no, a cup double wouldn’t be a successful season.

The club has ran out of excuses and cannot live off the the context of 2012 any longer.
Our wage bill is to high and it’s quite clearly not been used well, of that there’s no doubt.

However we can’t match Celtic for spending, not even close, they comfortably outspend us every year, and will no doubt do so again this summer. Its a huge issue, and puts massive pressure on Koppen to unearth some gems.

They've spent twice as much on transfers since 2012 as we have since getting back up. You can ignore that context if you want, but we don't live in a one season at a time vacuum. Especially when that allows them to sign more players than we can, take more hits on the duds and then do it all again season by season.

Your hatred for Tav is really strange
Your unequivocal support is even more so. Tavernier needs to leave, doesn’t mean I hate him. He is the focal point of a team that capitulates far too many times. The main thing the manager needs to do in pre-season is get him and Goldson out of the club. If it means subsidising their wages, sending them out on loan, so be it.

Only in the same way Celtic should have had them from 2012 to 2021 or so, if you completely disrespect your opposition and don't factor in that anyone can win a cup tie on their day.

Or that we should never get by someone like Dortmund, Leipzig or the others we've got past in the last 6 or 7 years in Europe.
I'm not talking about Celtic (who won 4 trebles in a row, by the way).

I'm talking about us. We should have won a treble in Gerrard's last full season - no question about it. You can make excuses for us not doing so all you like. I won't.

Assuming we don't do the business in the league, would a cup double make up for it?

If you'd given me the choice of the league or a cup double at the start of the season I would have chosen the league every day of the week. The thought of losing another league title to them is absolutely devastating.

As it is, the damage Michael Beale caused has led to us where we are and if Clement can produce a Cup double from that I'd be relatively happy.
No, who are we, Aberdeen?

The league is everything.

Normally winning two trophies in a season would be a disaster, but given the start to the season we had it wouldn’t be the worst.

However, we did get a lead in the league title and had we got positive results against Dundee and Ross County, we wouldn’t be relying on our players growing the biggest set of balls they’ve ever had to grow to get a result on Saturday so on that note, not winning the league would be a disaster and winning two trophies to negate that still wouldn’t soften the blow so I’ve voted no.

We do still have a massive opportunity to win a treble and if that can’t focus the minds of these players to win everything in front of them then they are at the wrong place.

I'm not talking about Celtic (who won 4 trebles in a row, by the way).

I'm talking about us. We should have won a treble in Gerrard's last full season - no question about it. You can make excuses for us not doing so all you like. I won't.
They should've won a treble every year from 2012 on to be fair by this exact logic. The exact same reason they didn't is the same reason Gerrard didn't.

Threads saying “don’t criticise the players” and now not winning the league in a 2 team title race is a successful season.

Seems it’s not just the players who are comfortable with being serial losers.

:oops:

Gerrard should've had a treble in the 55 season - no excuses. There's no getting away from that fact.
If we only get 2 cups, I see this season being more akin to McLeish. Reversing the OF defeats and winning 5 trophies in 18 months, it's completely achievable

The chance to level the playing field a bit with them unlikely to make it through a qualifier for the CL, Makes the capitulation in the league all the more difficult to take.

Felt like a game changer. Not over yet though.

Keep Believing

The league is the main prize every year.

Winning the 2 cups is as good as you can do if you miss out on the main prize so it lessens the blow a bit.

But it’s probably 75/15/10 I’m terms of the weighting of the 3 competitions. You’d need a lot of cups to make up 1 league IMO.

The cups will just be a consolation if we lose the league.

It would be nice either way to end the season by beating them at Hampden.

Back