Would like to see Sterling as a RB

Bornabear

Now of course there's an obvious reason why we don't see this but the boy is clearly a player and that's with essentially never seeing him in his natural position.

It does seem that this Summer could be the end of the road for Tav. If the Saudi rumours are true then he would command a decent transfer fee and leave the club a legend.

One silver lining is that we may well have the perfect replacement already lined up in Sterling. He won't be replacing Tavs goal contributions but how healthy is that percentage of goals coming from your RB anyway.

Now of course there's an obvious reason why we don't see this but the boy is clearly a player and that's with essentially never seeing him in his natural position.

It does seem that this Summer could be the end of the road for Tav. If the Saudi rumours are true then he would command a decent transfer fee and leave the club a legend.

One silver lining is that we may well have the perfect replacement already lined up in Sterling. He won't be replacing Tavs goal contributions but how healthy is that percentage of goals coming from your RB anyway.
I would rather see him in centre midfield. Powerful and has bundles of energy. Exactly what we need in there. As for right back, we need to recruit another player for that position. Tav is slowing down and struggling now.

You say the perfect replacement, but if you take Tav out of the team who is scoring the goals and providing the assists that he does? Even leaving aside penalties, only Dessers and Sima are the others in double figures for league goals this season. Tav also has eight assists, closest is Lundstram and Cantwell with four each.

I love Sterling but nothing we've seen from him suggests that he's hitting those numbers.

I would rather see him in centre midfield. Powerful and has bundles of energy. Exactly what we need in there. As for right back, we need to recruit another player for that position. Tav is slowing down and struggling now.
Powerful and bundles of energy are very important for RB as well. I would like to see him given a run in his natural position. We obviously need another midfielder in the summer as well.

You say the perfect replacement, but if you take Tav out of the team who is scoring the goals and providing the assists that he does? Even leaving aside penalties, only Dessers and Sima are the others in double figures for league goals this season. Tav also has eight assists, closest is Lundstram and Cantwell with four each.

I love Sterling but nothing we've seen from him suggests that he's hitting those numbers.
There will be plenty of fresh talent coming in and several players you mentioned not likely to be here. No chance are we starting next season with Dessers as our main striker. I doubt Lundstrum will get a new contract.

There will be plenty of fresh talent coming in and several players you mentioned not likely to be here. No chance are we starting next season with Dessers as our main striker. I doubt Lundstrum will get a new contract.

I hope you're right. I can see the arguments for Sterling at RB and in midfield. If he's taking Tav's place though, we'd better be bringing in a creative midfielder/forward who can replace his goal involvements.

Play him RB til the end of the season. Stick Tav on right or left wing. Only left wing if Ridvan available. Barisic and Tav up the same flank could be a bad recipe.

Yes but we need him in midfield at the moment imo hopefully we get better midfielders for next season and he can be our RB next season

Sterling is a right back
Hasn’t got the range of passing needed for the sort of opposition we need to break down on a weekly basis. We have legs in Diomande so we need two others if Cantwell is deemed not good enough.

I think until the end of the season we play Sterling CM to give us the energy and dig we’re lacking from any of the current midfielders.

Next season I would like to see him given a run as our first choice right back.

Tavs 8-10 outfield goals a season shouldn’t be too hard to replace if we get our signings right middle to front in the summer. Albeit that’s based on a significant budget.

Think he’s made to be a midfielder tbh.

Should be in there from the start every week. No longer needed as a utility man he’s needed as a starter.

We cannot remove the only threat we have right now and in the process play Sterling in a position where he doesn't impact the game as well as he can.

Sterling has been great in midfield. He should play there.

This is spot on. We need another Yilmaz/Bassey on the right hand side - young, energetic, an international and the prospect to go on to big things.

Tavernier will play an important part next season but we absolutely need an alternative for some matches, with an eye on succession planning too.

We should look at reducing our squad size and investing our wages more sensibly going forward, with Sterling as a utility player in midfield or on the right hand side.

Borna should have been on last 10 min last night and Sterling pushed into midfield would have gave us an attacking option for sure.

I know Borna is sh..e but you would like to think he could play for 10 min.

Sterling in CM for me, Would have loved a Ben Johnson type for rb for next season but he’s getting linked with likes of Aston Villa so we have no chance

Think Tav has looked burst last few weeks. Sterling at RB and move Tav up, Sima over to the left. Prob our best goal threat which is worrying

Reactions: TQ3
Definitely for the remaining fixtures of this season, he needs to play in midfield. Going forward he needs to be given a regular starting position in the 1st team. More likely at right back as you’d expect the midfield along with everywhere else be strengthened in the summer window. Sterling is too good to be used as this utility man….. And to think Beale has know Sterling since he’s been 8 year old and couldn’t find a place in the team for him!

Powerful and bundles of energy are very important for RB as well. I would like to see him given a run in his natural position. We obviously need another midfielder in the summer as well.
True m8, don't disagree. Just think we've stumbled on something with the lad and think could be a great midfielder for us.

Lundstram should be bombed out and Dujon should be given the nod. What’s the point in playing limited John who’ll be away in the summer? Ahh it comes to me now, he’ll probably be given a new deal to save us the hassle and money of getting someone new in!

I like Sterling. He puts himself about, is athletic and has a good attitude. He’s a good worker. But ask yourself honestly - would he get in that Celtic midfield?

I don’t believe he would. And that’s the problem - until we stop talking up players that wouldn’t be good enough for them, we will keep finishing second to them.

We need better than him in midfield I think. If he’s going to be Lundstram replacement, the onus is on him to start our attacks - he isn’t that player. He just isn’t creative enough. I do think he could be a useful option at rb if Tav goes though.

Seriously, Clement should be asking Sterling where he'd prefer to play, and then structuring the rest of the team around him.

He ain't the finished product yet, but he always makes a positive contribution, never hides and reads the game well. He also has creativity that we are sorely lacking in the attacking half of the field at the moment.

If Tavernier goes we’ll need a new full back.
If Sterling is pencilled in as replacement okay.
Unless we can get better.
Flip side is he’d be ideal in midfield.
Again, the question is, can we get better?

Get him in the midfield now, he should never have been removed, let the manager deal with the summer when it comes.
It was felt he was needed at left back ahead of Borna.
Personally, I hoped Davies could be dragged onto the pitch.
At least he was a defender and was a leftie.
I’d prefer Sterling in midfield personally but only with a best-we-can-afford, quality partner.
I’ve always been in favour with the, sometimes hated, two DM’s and think he’s ideal in there.

First post and all that, he needs to play centre mid, he will make Lundstram, Goldson and Souttar immediately better with his style and strength in the centre of our spine

He’s a rb, everyone wants to build our midfield around a rb after a handful of games in midfield… I get it he’s been ok there, but how about we play players in their natural position.

He’d do a job for sure but more a pressing concern is that Lundstram looks dead behind the eyes and looks like he is towing a caravan.

The slow negative sideways and backwards passing moves tell me he’s playing it safe and at this critical stage he needs extricated from the team.

I like Sterling. He puts himself about, is athletic and has a good attitude. He’s a good worker. But ask yourself honestly - would he get in that Celtic midfield?

I don’t believe he would. And that’s the problem - until we stop talking up players that wouldn’t be good enough for them, we will keep finishing second to them.

We need better than him in midfield I think. If he’s going to be Lundstram replacement, the onus is on him to start our attacks - he isn’t that player. He just isn’t creative enough. I do think he could be a useful option at rb if Tav goes though.
I'm finding the comparisons to Lundstrum pretty strange myself mate. Two totally different players.

Maybe without tav in the team, the dynamic would change and other players would deliver

A testimonial committee has been set up. I hope the Saudi move happens as I cannot see a way back for him now. He won’t be trusted to lead us to success when the pressure is on.

It looks to me like midfield is actually his natural position.

Midfield for the remaining games for me, we are so weak in there it’s frightening. It’s not working at LB, or wide left where he was at St Mirren, and just our luck that Ridvan got injured & the alternative is Borna, who I can’t wait to see the back of.

Tav will never be dropped, so get Sterling in midfield & hope Ridvan is fit, or reluctantly play Borna.

ps am increasingly worried that we will lose Sterling in the summer unfortunately.

Won’t see that until next season, barring injury to Tav.

Back