Would Rangers consider installing original replicas at the Copland Gates as part of our 150th Anniversary?

Nacho Novo

I have seen it being said on here time and time again and it seems to be becoming an ever more popular topic of discussion the more people learn about it.

The Broomloan Gates at Ibrox are the gates where everyone wants their photo taken at because they are the originals which funnily enough used to be at the Copland end and were then moved ends. The Copland Gates on the otherhand are the gates which are poor replicas of the originals.

As taken from The Rangers Standard - "The famous blue and white wrought-iron gates were built to Archibald Leitch's specification in 1928. The original gates now stand at the corner of the Broomloan Road Stand and the Bill Struth Main Stand. This wasn't always the case, however. As the pictures show the original gates were positioned at the Copland Road end until the Club Deck renovations began. They were moved and placed where they reside to this day, and a vastly inferior imitation is now situated between the Copland Stand and Main Stand." - https://www.therangersstandard.co.u...ub-history/234-the-old-lady-of-edmiston-drive

bbgates2.jpg

V

My question to the club is, now we are in a healthy financial position available to start new projects around the stadium for the clubs 150th Anniversary in 2022, would we be able to see a proper replica of the original Ibrox Gates being put back where they originally used to stand at the Copland end of the ground before one of them was moved sides for the construction of the Club Deck?

Last edited:
I hate the panels fitted on the inside to avoid anyone seeing the game through the gates. Great idea though.

The other suggestion I have is to clean the red brick facade, repoint it and install better uplighting. Probably £150k+ though,

If I remember correctly the gates were moved to the Broomloan Road end at the instigation of the former "Custodian" Mr David E. Murray.

He felt the historic gates were better suited for that end of the stadium, as they would be seen by visiting officials, potential signings, etc, who would pass them on Edmiston Drive after exiting the M8 motorway to reach Ibrox.

It was all bollocks of course, just an early example of an ego that would eventually bring the club to its knees. I think the gates may have been the last thing the "Custodian" saw in his rear view mirror, as he scarpered from Ibrox, never to return.

Showing my ignorance here but why were they moved?
Surely it wasn’t Murray that wanted this?Was it for some other reason?

I didn't realise they had ever been swapped but I had noticed the vast difference in the gates and just assumed there was only ever one set , now makes me wonder now why they were not copied. Be a great idea it would look so much better.
I only was in a position to get to games post 2000 so that's the only Ibrox I have visited unfortunately.

The tears will not stop rolling down my face.
It is the first time I have seen this and it has really touched me.
My dear old dad passed away nearly 5 years ago and I really wish I had been able to play this at his funeral
Been 40 years just past in March there since my Father departed. Stood there at those gates and started to write it as a poem in hIs memory some years back then converted it into the video. Hope it brings comfort to you Coisty09. Your Dad lives on through you and with you. WATP

Been 40 years just past in March there since my Father departed. Stood there at those gates and started to write it as a poem in hIs memory some years back then converted it into the video. Hope it brings comfort to you Coisty09. Your Dad lives on through you and with you. WATP
Just watched it again mate after reading this. Fantastic. Thanks for sharing that

The tears will not stop rolling down my face.
It is the first time I have seen this and it has really touched me.
My dear old dad passed away nearly 5 years ago and I really wish I had been able to play this at his funeral
Ive not heard this before and after it I really feel you

I think a condensed version done by the geniuses here would set a campaign alight

Tears here watching that , I still have my old man who’s rangers daft has never wavered but we miss my mum dreadfully , whenever me and my dad moaned about Rangers losing or anything she would put us right . Amazing video and song , actually going to show it to my dad tomorrow .

Brilliant @ItsInTheNet. A fitting tribute to your Dad. It is just over 10 years since my Dad died. I still miss him and our discussions (and sometimes disagreements) about the Rangers.

There are many of us Bluenoses who are travelling the same path.

Thanks @The Meik's Crombie and @SSJack . As you say they are so many fellow bears and bearettes on that path.

The Gates of Ibrox are iconic, especially the orginals.

Ibrox is such an amazing Stadium! So special,magical, spiritual surrounded by an incredible aura.

Every time I am there I sense the presence of my folks. It brings them close, reignites sweet memories and further cements that eternal bond we have been so blessed to have had.

I know that I am not alone in experiencing that.

That was really moving, it reflects the feelings of so many of the Rangers family. Thank you so much for sharing it. I miss my dad every day and every time I pass or enter Ibrox so many memories come flooding back.

As a matter of interest, do any of our historical experts on FF know where the original gates were cast? It is likely that wherever it was, the factory will be long gone but it is a testament to their skill that the gates are still with us at Ibrox nearly 100 years on.

As a matter of interest, do any of our historical experts on FF know where the original gates were cast? It is likely that wherever it was, the factory will be long gone but it is a testament to their skill that the gates are still with us at Ibrox nearly 100 years on.
Would be great if someone knows this. Would love to know.

Were there gates at any location around Ibrox? Too young to know if the Broomloan end had original gates at that side before the reconstruction of the Club Deck. If so, where are they now? The Broomloan end current has the Copland gates so I'm confused by the situation.

Were there gates at any location around Ibrox? Too young to know if the Broomloan end had original gates at that side before the reconstruction of the Club Deck. If so, where are they now? The Broomloan end current has the Copland gates so I'm confused by the situation.
my memory is wooden sliding gates at the broomloan rd end of the ground,

I googled Rangers gates and saw a 'Rangers Gates and Railings' in Bradford.
Obviously probably nothing to do with us but I clicked out of curiosity.
It's owned by a Mr Ranger Ibrahim from Bradford.
What a first name! :cool: :D

Would've got back to you earlier Nacho, was watching the funeral.

There have only ever been 1 set of gates, this aerial shot of Ibrox (pic 1) shows them at the Copland Rd end, the Broomloan Rd exit were just basic wooden doors. Pics 2 and 3 show zoomed in. Pic 4 is pretty much exactly where the gates were originally cited for decades.

gn15.png
gn16.png
gn17.png
gn18.png

There have only ever been 1 set of gates, this aerial shot of Ibrox (pic 1) shows them at the Copland Rd end, the Broomloan Rd exit were just basic wooden doors. Pics 2 and 3 show zoomed in. Pic 4 is pretty much exactly where the gates were originally cited for decades.

gn15.png
gn16.png
gn17.png
gn18.png
Thanks for posting the photos @Beer Belly Loyal. It was also very interesting to see the position of the gates from a modern context. The aerial photographs of Ibrox confirms what a magnificent stadium it was and remains today.

gn15.png
gn16.png
gn17.png
gn18.png

Thanks for that BBL. I just assumed there would have been gates at the Broomloan end at Ibrox Park but perhaps would have been damaged over the years considering that would have been the Celtic end when they got the stand.

Any idea where the original Broomloan gates went when Ibrox Stadium was built with the four seperate stands with no club deck and no glass towers as shown on the link? https://www.stadiumguide.com/Ibrox/

ibroxpast6.jpg

Thats just class mate, could easy be sung as well.

gn18.png
I'm looking at this mock up and it inspires the thought, why not do this, why not relocate them to their original position on Edmiston Drive?

They would obviously be open on match days, and if they stood alone they'd obviously be more prominent and be placed in their original historical site. They would also provide a character backdrop to the stadium. Or indeed, why not as an entrance to the new museum? It would also remove the need for those disfiguring boards to prevent anyone having a peep on to the pitch.

Just a thought obviously, I'm prepared to be shot down. :)

Thats just class mate, could easy be sung as well.

Cheers mate. I actually sing it often especially at his anniversary or when feeling a tad sentimental at memories of him and my mother.

The Gates of Ibrox is my go to place regardless of whether a game is on or not. I feel his presence is always there especially.

When I wrote the poem it was simply as a tribute to my Father and for personal reflection.

Upon seeing threads being posted where posters had lost their Father or a loved one I decided to ( following encouragement from a fellow poster) share in the hope it might resonate with them and though sad might also bring comfort and hope concerning that precious bond they had had together enriched through a mutual love of The Rangers.

I'm looking at this mock up and it inspires the thought, why not do this, why not relocate them to their original position on Edmiston Drive?

They would obviously be open on match days, and if they stood alone they'd obviously be more prominent and be placed in their original historical site. They would also provide a character backdrop to the stadium. Or indeed, why not as an entrance to the new museum? It would also remove the need for those disfiguring boards to prevent anyone having a peep on to the pitch.

Just a thought obviously, I'm prepared to be shot down. :)
Would be happy with your suggestions or the op. The thought of the Gates as an entrance to the new museum is very novel. I am liking it the more I think of that.

I have seen it being said on here time and time again and it seems to be becoming an ever more popular topic of discussion the more people learn about it.

The Broomloan Gates at Ibrox are the gates where everyone wants their photo taken at because they are the originals which funnily enough used to be at the Copland end and were then moved ends. The Copland Gates on the otherhand are the gates which are poor replicas of the originals.

As taken from The Rangers Standard - "The famous blue and white wrought-iron gates were built to Archibald Leitch's specification in 1928. The original gates now stand at the corner of the Broomloan Road Stand and the Bill Struth Main Stand. This wasn't always the case, however. As the pictures show the original gates were positioned at the Copland Road end until the Club Deck renovations began. They were moved and placed where they reside to this day, and a vastly inferior imitation is now situated between the Copland Stand and Main Stand." - https://www.therangersstandard.co.u...ub-history/234-the-old-lady-of-edmiston-drive

bbgates2.jpg

V

My question to the club is, now we are in a healthy financial position available to start new projects around the stadium for the clubs 150th Anniversary in 2022, would we be able to see a proper replica of the original Ibrox Gates being put back where they originally used to stand at the Copland end of the ground before one of them was moved sides for the construction of the Club Deck?
I wouldn't say we were in a healthy financial position. We've been very lucky investors have been pumping millions in to us during the season, and the previous seasons. We're a long way from being in a sustainable position where we no longer need to rely on this but hopefully that will come now that we've secured the title.

That image is reversed, the gates you're seeing there are actually the Copland gates with school directly across the road and Edmiston Club directly behind.

How did I not even noticed that, Christ haha. There must have been something at the Broomloan end when Ibrox became all four seperate stands?

@BlueRambo From these pictures of Ibrox in the 80's, it looks as if the club has quite literally swapped the gates around?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GLASGOW-...n-1980s-6-x4-REPRINTS-POST-FREE-/402590142650

Cheers mate. I actually sing it often especially at his anniversary or when feeling a tad sentimental at memories of him and my mother.

The Gates of Ibrox is my go to place regardless of whether a game is on or not. I feel his presence is always there especially.

When I wrote the poem it was simply as a tribute to my Father and for personal reflection.

Upon seeing threads being posted where posters had lost their Father or a loved one I decided to ( following encouragement from a fellow poster) share in the hope it might resonate with them and though sad might also bring comfort and hope concerning that precious bond they had had together enriched through a mutual love of The Rangers.
I'm sure the guy who just done the clubs, Every Saturday we Follow song would turn your poem into a classic chant.

Crawford Carlyle is the man, a few on here know him.

I'm sure the guy who just done the clubs, Every Saturday we Follow song would turn your poem into a classic chant.

Crawford Carlyle is the man, a few on here know him.
That would be most humbling. He is very talented from what I have heard.

Back