Would Yugolsavia have won a major tournament

I think there was a good chance they would have won Euro 92 if they hadn’t imploded as a country and had to withdraw

Would a UK team have won more than England's 1 WC? Think it would've. Full UK team would be a rival for Germany for international success over the years imo.
Not a chance who apart from bale out of the other 3 nation's would get into the England squad never mind team , maybe Robertson at a push but that's it . I think that would be a good debating question,

Not a chance who apart from bale out of the other 3 nation's would get into the England squad never mind team , maybe Robertson at a push but that's it . I think that would be a good debating question,
Yeah that’s now but I think he meant historically when guys like Souness, Dalglish, Law, Baxter, Hansen, Best, Cooper etc would all have made it into a UK team.
I think a combined UK team would also have won more trophies back in the day

I think there was a good chance they would have won Euro 92 if they hadn’t imploded as a country and had to withdraw

Considering the team that they beat out to qualify won the tournament on 14 days notice. I don't get the logic that a team that could easily win a qualify group 6 months before, couldn't have held it together for another 5 games.

World Cups finals are always made up of two of the big 8 teams but even there Croatia broke that trend, and reached another semi-final. Serbia, Slovenia, Bosnia and North Macedonia have all also been able to qualify for major tournaments.

Practically every team appears to have a chance of getting on a roll on the Euros, with Denmark, Greece winning it and the Czech Republic reaching the final. Yugoslavia would certainly have been in with a shout in a few Euros in the past 30 years.

I once watched a documentary about the Yugoslavian basketball team and the cultural tension destroyed them. There was no unity in the team at all. I imagine the football team would have been similar.
No unity. A bit like Scotland in modern times

Yeah that’s now but I think he meant historically when guys like Souness, Dalglish, Law, Baxter, Hansen, Best, Cooper etc would all have made it into a UK team.
I think England with Bale/Ramsey would've won the European Championship in 2016 given Bale practically took Wales to the semi final.

Soz mate I thought it was about today's Galacticos, yeah , 60,'s 70's & 80' uk teams would have had a few Scots in the first 11 sadly nowadays we would be lucky to have any in the squad, yet a small country like Wales even Northern Ireland at tournaments totally outshine us , so it's not down to population so I take it to be down to coaching & the lack of technical ability it doesn't help when teams in our top league just set up with 2 banks of 5 & our media praise them for it , & we don't encourage youth Gilmour is a great example of that all this pish he's to young ffs he has a champions league winners medal .

Soz mate I thought it was about today's Galacticos, yeah , 60,'s 70's & 80' uk teams would have had a few Scots in the first 11 sadly nowadays we would be lucky to have any in the squad, yet a small country like Wales even Northern Ireland at tournaments totally outshine us , so it's not down to population so I take it to be down to coaching & the lack of technical ability it doesn't help when teams in our top league just set up with 2 banks of 5 & our media praise them for it , & we don't encourage youth Gilmour is a great example of that all this pish he's to young ffs he has a champions league winners medal .
It’s a 100% down to coaching.
Just look at the dinosaur in charge of the national team.
It’s not about going out and winning games but more a case of keeping it tight not losing and maybe nick a goal. Basically like a Killie or Livi.
Like you say to keep talented players like Gilmour and Paterson on the bench was a joke and playing hammer throwers like O donnell pretty much sums up Scottish football and our coaching philosophy.
The tactics were straight out the Arc, stick a big lump upfront, bypass the midfield and lump it up to him. We even had reasonably talented premiership midfielders like McGinn and Armstrong yet that idiot Clarke thought it was a good idea to miss them out.
We will never get anywhere or do anything decent in tournaments when we insist on playing like Livingston no matter how good our players are.

I don't think so. You need something special to win one of the tournaments and Croatia have always been the better former Yugoslav team, would any Serbian, Bosnian or Slovenian players bring them to that level? Probably not.
Does that include the 'special' players Greece had when they won it? The Yugoslavs had great players like Stojkovic and Prosenecki and they still churn them out to this day. Modric etc got them/Croatia to a world cup final. I'd say very possible more than probably not.

Does that include the 'special' players Greece had when they won it? The Yugoslavs had great players like Stojkovic and Prosenecki and they still churn them out to this day. Modric etc got them/Croatia to a world cup final. I'd say very possible more than probably not.

Greece didn’t deserve to win it. A stupid rule they exploited twice.

Back