You know what I’m so proud of this team

two2tango

Official Ticketer
They have went toe to toe with a side who spent 1 1/2 times our turnover in transfer fees thus sumner

they ran themselves into the ground and came up just short of winning both games

they are the best team imo since advocat team imo

we needed fresh legs in the middle of the park but didn’t any because of injury

keep going lads you have done us proud

In my opinion they’re playing football as good as I can remember from any team in my life time

It seems strange to even say that but my memory goes from McLeish to now and despite getting to the Europa League final, it was a backs to the wall team. This is the first one that I'm expecting to go out and beat this calibre of opposition and accepting that the other team must've played well to get a draw never mind win. I remember Zizkov, Kaunas and others. This is a different standard entirely and it's amazing when you consider where this team and the club have been in the last 10 years.

Performances and and effort have been top drawer in Europe. Top with 2 games to go.

Well said op , it tells u how far we have come when in a double header against benfica - it’s taken us to switch off / personal errors for benfica to even get a point !

Fair to say though i do have a little frustration with the fact we always choose the hard way to do things !

It seems strange to even say that but my memory goes from McLeish to now and despite getting to the Europa League final, it was a backs to the wall team. This is the first one that I'm expecting to go out and beat this calibre of opposition and accepting that the other team must've played well to get a draw never mind win. I remember Zizkov, Kaunas and others. This is a different standard entirely and it's amazing when you consider where this team and the club have been in the last 10 years.
3 years ago we were watching Pedro argue with fans over a hedge

let that sink in

we are now gutted because we lost late equalisers to benfica

It's very difficult to see out games against the top teams, the quality they have means they will almost certainly make chances over the 90 minutes.

We went three hours toe to toe with a top team and we more than held our own.

Well played Rangers.

Couldn’t agree more, they’re a top side and couldn’t beat us over 2 games. Got to take the positives from that. For the first time since 2011 we have a team we can be proud of again

They have went toe to toe with a side who spent 1 1/2 times our turnover in transfer fees thus sumner

they ran themselves into the ground and came up just short of winning both games

they are the best team imo since advocat team imo

we needed fresh legs in the middle of the park but didn’t any because of injury

keep going lads you have done us proud
Yip totally agree, super proud of them and totally on board with this team....still unbeaten

We (rightly) love to talk about how little we've spent in relative terms. But it works both ways, there will be times against top sides when that gulf in spending will be exposed. But the workrate of the team, the tactics to get us into the lead in both games, and the standard of some of our play are a joy.

We have just beaten that Benfica team over two legs if that was the KO stages. All considered that is fantastic.

Some team effort, the boys ran themselves into the ground for us tonight. Personally i just cant fault them, not one of them.

Like yourself OP, very proud of them tonight, i couldn't honestly have asked for anymore.

Partially annoyed at the result but really can't let it bother me, they're the best team we've faced in 10 years and we done not too bad aye.

Every player gave absolute everything and we showed real quality all over the park. It wasn’t quite enough to win the game but you can’t ask any more.

The transformation under Gerrard has been incredible. We are still unbeaten this season are are in a commanding position in the league and the group.

It's very difficult to see out games against the top teams, the quality they have means they will almost certainly make chances over the 90 minutes.

We went three hours toe to toe with a top team and we more than held our own.

Well played Rangers.
Farkin right we did, we basically beat them over the tie.

Let's be honest, we should qualify now. We're disappointed that we've not beaten Benfica twice - this shows how far we've come.

It wasn't that long ago we had Rob Kieran, Harry Forrester and Michael O'Halloran in our team.

This Benfica team should be in the UCL; we've more than matched them. On both occasions, I couldn't see us conceding, don't get me wrong we were under pressure tonight but we did well. I think if we had Jack and Aribo to come on we could've closed this game out. Looking at the bench we didn't have much available to us in midfield to bring on.

Long may this continue - we bloody deserve it!

100%

The transformation of our team, our squad and our club has been phenomenal.

We need to play these teams to raise our levels, and we will.

Very proud.

Ryan Kent. Possibly the best player. Could be forgiven for just swanning about up top. Nope he's back defending.

We have a team. The tims have individuals who will pull them out a hole every now and then That is why we will win the league.

We (rightly) love to talk about how little we've spent in relative terms. But it works both ways, there will be times against top sides when that gulf in spending will be exposed. But the workrate of the team, the tactics to get us into the lead in both games, and the standard of some of our play are a joy.
A great point.

What we are behind in money spent, and in that quality of players, we make up for in tactical ability and work rate. We are an intelligent, well coached team of good players.

Let's not forget we were pot 4, and after 4 games we lead our group.

(sorry, as pointed out below we were Pot 3 - my bad!)

Last edited:
Consistency wise I think this is the best rangers side I have seen in Europe and I don’t say that lightly with some of the achievements our club have made in Europe.

I think the fact that there are a lot of people feeling gutted about tonight's result shows just how much of a tremendous job Gerrard has done with this team. We went toe to toe with a Champions League standard team over two legs and but for complacency, tiredness and a dodgy linesman we should have won at least one of them. This team are by far the most entertaining team I've watched in a long time and at times had me in awe especially the build up to our second goal and the exceptional finish. Onwards and upwards Rangers!

Benfica spending €100m in the summer on top on the existing stars in their team shows how well we played against this team and remain unbeaten

Yes we gave away 2 goals leads on both home and away games but we still didn’t lose either game

I prefer to look on the positives. We are top of our EL group with two games to go

Exactly!
Just love this team...

10 goals shared with one of Europe's great sides over 2 legs
Bring it on

We will go back to playing on plastic pitches and hammering sheep and hamilton etc soon enough.....

A great point.

What we are behind in money spent, and in that quality of players, we make up for in tactical ability and work rate. We are an intelligent, well coached team of good players.

Let's not forget we were pot 4, and after 4 games we lead our group.
We were Pot 3. Lech Poznan were Pot 4.

I agree with the thread though!

For me, how can we be anything other than over the moon with two successive draws with a top class Benifica team while the bad side of the Clyde are in full Bolshevik revolt mode, utter disarray and an embarrassment to the Scottish game.

Ain't been this good (playing style) since the Dutch years of Advocatt.

Bring it f***ing on!!

The effort required to get that result tonight was incredible, it was clearly visible just how much the team were working to limit their threat. These teams with CL experience, deep pockets and quality in depth are the yardstick for us going forward. The Portuguese would have respected us but still expected to win at least one of the fixtures but we held our own, tremendous.

Our progress in Europe continues to amaze me.

The only sadness is not being there to share it with the players and each other and have it stored in my memory.

Back