Your thought re no decent bids for Alfredo

Earl of Leven

Official Ticketer
I am discounting the Chinese bid as I believe it was er...."not quite the whole truth" shall we say.

But this window Lille shy away from 20m euros and NO other bids came in, nothing from down south, or Spain.

This is a kid who scores goals, is capped for Colombia, and has scored in 3 different countries. Rapid, Feyenoord, YBB...goals in Europe. £17.5m is nothing. And yet....

Is it simply bad timing: Covid 19 reducing income and transfer budgets?

Is it agents and 'people in the know' muddying the waters - do these people talk? Do stories gain legs? Is he a 'bad boy'? I will be honest: if i wanted a player I wouldn't care what tittle tattle was about him....but does this worry clubs?

Is it red cards and suspensions? Poor quality of SPL?

I just cannot fathom why we have had one concrete bid and that was from middling Ligue 1 club.

The SPL isn't well thought of is the main reason.

Even though it's completely wrong, English League 1 and even 2 are seen as a higher standard.

The Europa League is of course an outlier to this which is probably why there was interest from Lile.

The truth is now he really needs to get his head straight and get back to the form of a year ago. If he does eventually want to move to a bigger league then he needs to start working hard for it.

Far too many poor performances since the turn of the year.

He hasn’t looked like a £20M player since 2019 - I think that’s why. He’s played a few good games here and there but he looks a different player to the boy who ripped up the Europa Lg,
I’d have to agree with this, he’s not really shown much since last Xmas so hopefully he’ll now get the head down and remind people what he’s all about.

The Chinese club admitted the bid when the BBC contacted them in their shitty attempt to ridicule Rangers.

The report who mocked the bid had to apologise to Rangers and admitted on his own twitter that he was wrong and the bid was genuine.

Why would you dismiss that?

If he continues to play for Colombia then I fail to see how we won't get 20 million for him.

All it's going to take is a few goals at International level and there will be teams ready to bid.

Like one of the posters above said, the Scottish game isn't well thought of - So Morelos needs to do it in the Champions League or at International level.

For what it's worth, and I hope no one is looking in when I say this, on current form I wouldn't be spending 20 mil on Morelos.

I think its got to be discipline related. Whether you think his cards over the years have been warranted or not the fact is they've happened and are tallied against his name forever more.

I live in England and everybody I speak to about Morelos' first words are "oh he's a hothead" etc. I know these aren't scouts I'm talking to but mud sticks unfortunately.

He needs to screw the nut and score goals consistently to get his move.

He’ll go some day....for some figure.

For now I’m glad we have him for the next few months.

My thoughts also. If he can regain focus, fitness and the form he showed this time last year then he can help deliver something that means more to us all than money in the bank.

Surprising with his europa league record and regularly being in the Colombo squads that there wasn’t more interest especially from English clubs who usually throw money about

The League is not well regarded?

Could it be that Lyon are now seen to have wildly overpaid for Dembele and it may have turned other suitors off given Rangers are looking for similar money? Anyone with knowledge of French football care to comment?

The SPL isn't well thought of is the main reason.

Even though it's completely wrong, English League 1 and even 2 are seen as a higher standard.

The Europa League is of course an outlier to this which is probably why there was interest from Lile.
Not sure that’s totally right. There have been loads of players this window going from countries that aren’t seen as great leagues. This whole window I have players going for decent sums that I’ve never heard of at teams that are compatible to us in stature. I get what you are saying about the English leagues being seen in a different light though.

If he continues to play for Colombia then I fail to see how we won't get 20 million for him.

All it's going to take is a few goals at International level and there will be teams ready to bid.

Like one of the posters above said, the Scottish game isn't well thought of - So Morelos needs to do it in the Champions League or at International level.

For what it's worth, and I hope no one is looking in when I say this, on current form I wouldn't be spending 20 mil on Morelos.
Mate he smashed Europe last season and still no one would pay the asking price.

He hasn’t looked like a £20M player since 2019 - I think that’s why. He’s played a few good games here and there but he looks a different player to the boy who ripped up the Europa Lg,

Exactly. Form is temporary... he will get it back. If we win the league he might stay for a crack at the UCL. Although far more likely to leave in the summer. We shall see.

He was too much of a risk in the COVID climate.

The clubs that would be looking for him (ie not the elite) had to be more pragmatic and careful this summer. On another year we’d have got £20-25m.

Not surprised - he's not played like anything near a £20m player this year. Delighted he's staying though, particularly if he hits top form again.

Delighted he is still here but do think he played himself out of a move,.
He was crap after Christmas last year and his form did dip at the beginning of this season which is why Gerrard dropped him for a game and told him to get his attitude/head sorted.
We stand a much better chance of winning 55 with him, I have a feeling he will score against the filth.

Probably a few things has scuppered bids? Dip in form after winter break then Covid strikes for last 6/7 months. Also i believe the treatment he has received in this country from the SMSM, certain pundits and disgusting racist abuse from Scum fans has taken its toll. I hope he can get back banging in the goals? Starting with our next game v the filth. Hit top form and put the rhats down and shut all of them up. Would love to see it. Come on Alfredo.

We were right to hold out for what we felt was a reasonable price (and it was reasonable IMO). Only one person to blame for not getting his move.

I find it unbelievable that very few teams are biting on Morelos. Even in January when he was at his apex in form and goals, no one even came in with a shitey bid to test us.

We now have a real problem on our hands. There is absolutely guarantee he'll hit form again. He's showing nothing in his performances to suggest it.

With the exception of the top level the market place has changed with less money around and a degree of uncertainty about the future.

Scotland standing has undoubtedly influenced things as people clearly believe they can get better value elsewhere - probably also explains why the mhanky mhob didn't receive the offers they were hoping for for some of their "stars".

Don't think the discipline will have been a major factor but certainly his form and lack of goals will have been.

If he wants that move he only has one option - start scoring again Alfie.

He's not played like a 20M player all year, I think its as simple as that. He's still young enough that any decent coach will reckon they can sort the discipline stuff (plus he's not fairy ref'd here) so that's not making much if any difference to his value.

We're all desperately looking for positives from him in games, but he's a shadow of his former self at the moment. I know he's scored some goals this season, but he's lost that swagger. I'm hoping a double in our next game kick-starts his season.

The only thing is, while we continue to play him, if he isn't playing great, it can be like we're a man down and might not be doing his confidence good either.

He has been dreadful for quite a long time now, I certainly wouldn't be throwing cash at us to sign him based on his performances since the new year.

I'm happy he is still here but Alfredo needs to screw the nut now and get back to his best.

Almost certainly temperament related.Not bothered personally,he'll help propel us to 55 and that's all that really matters.The club needs to get him speaking as near as damn it fluent english or get a band of interpreters to knock some sense into him in his own language.He's part way to fu*king up a decent career.

We received a bid that the club did not deem satisfactory. It makes a welcome change from being dazzled by the first offer that comes along for our players.

Only time will tell if it is the correct decision should any further bids be received in the coming windows.

In the meantime he has to knuckle down and get back to the levels he was showing in the early part of last season. Another campaign in the Europa League similar to 2019-20 will see his stock rise considerably.

I am discounting the Chinese bid as I believe it was er...."not quite the whole truth" shall we say.

But this window Lille shy away from 20m euros and NO other bids came in, nothing from down south, or Spain.

This is a kid who scores goals, is capped for Colombia, and has scored in 3 different countries. Rapid, Feyenoord, YBB...goals in Europe. £17.5m is nothing. And yet....

Is it agents and 'people in the know' muddying the waters - do these people talk? Do stories gain legs? Is he a 'bad boy'? I will be honest: if i wanted a player I wouldn't care what tittle tattle was about him....but does this worry clubs?

I just cannot fathom why we have had one concrete bid and that was from middling Ligue 1 club.

I'm of the opinion that just because we didn't hear about it, doesn't mean there weren't any further bids received.

He hasn’t looked a £10m player since the new year never mind £20m+... that’s why we haven’t sold him , harsh but Lille aside no one has wanted to buy him and I don’t blame them

he needs to continue improvement over the next couple of months , get back to firing goals in ( starting next game please ) and secure his move in the January window - or it simply won’t happen , can’t keep going on this merry go round ( for us and him )

The Chinese club admitted the bid when the BBC contacted them in their shitty attempt to ridicule Rangers.

The report who mocked the bid had to apologise to Rangers and admitted on his own twitter that he was wrong and the bid was genuine.

Why would you dismiss that?
Simply proves my point on how the constant negativity that surrounds Alfie in the media does have a detrimental effect on how he is perceived.

Torino offered €2m to loan him for a year and then offered less than Lille did to make it permanent at the end.

FWIW I’d rather have kept him for this season anyway.

The thought of Morelos getting back to his best form is better than selling him and hoping his replacement can even replicate that form.

I'm all in on the Morelos train, starting with him breaking his duck against the mentally challengeds on the 17th of October and beating Super's European record in the group stages and firing us to 55.

I think it's Covid mostly.

In normal times, plenty of clubs would take a £20m punt on someone with his goalscoring record.

Singing Alfie is not without risk and these are risk adverse times.

A full 30 goal, league winning season, a couple of more EL goals and we'll get £25m next summer.

£16m is a decent bid. At the end of the season, we may regret not taking it. Or - hopefully - we'll have been proved right.

He's had slumps in each of his seasons. Alfie needs more consistency.

Back