Match Thread Rangers v St Mirren - 15:00 Sunday - RangersTV

Is RW that much differece from LW where he has played plenty. The manager asked to play there and he didnt.

Even today he was coming deep in the first half, first time he does get further up he creates the 1st goal.

He can be a great player, but he needs to show it more.
I don’t understand why so many people think being capable of one wing is easily transposable to the other side.

Anyone who has played either position would know that you face different problems.

Cantwell also doesn’t have the pace to run past players on his favoured foot, which eliminates a lot of option on the ball.

On your last point- Cantwell won almost every single MOTM poll on here last season once he was up to speed. He shows it plenty (or at least more than most).

With the exception of a decent 20 mins in the second half it was another poor performance.

Clement clearly has his work cut out for him with this group of players until he can get his own signings on board

I thought we looked better in the second half with Cantwell and Lawrence 10 yards further forward they were too deep for my liking in the first half. Two assists for Cantwell in the 10 position too which gives the manager a good look at what he's worth in that area.

I thought the wee fella McCausland was adventurous when on the ball and apart from one backward pass that went straight to their CF had a decent game. He tracked back with Tav, made himself available when needed and ran at their defence causing them problems.

Our closing down was much better with Danilo on the park and Cantwell behind him. We were more lively going forward and any mistakes or poor passes were won back in their half squeezing the game up. MOTM Gascoigne for the halftime Christmas Jumper.

Three points and up the road.

How did Lammers do. Nobody seems to have mentioned him, apart from every second post.
We get it, he's not cut the mustard, can we not change the record?
I think it is worthy of comment to mention any player that is involved quite frequently in the 8 minutes they are on the field but were poor including an effort with only the keeper to beat from about 5 yards and under no-pressure.

Just on way home from game. Another patchy performance but it got better as it went on. Cantwell back in the right place and he eventually got going. McCausland was superb throughout I thought. Lawrence a bit disappointing although improved second half. Sima average but his 2 goals get him mom for me. Dessers had a couple of good moments but we looked better when Danilo came on. Good 3 points at the end of the day.

Yeah. He's pretty much told him that's what happens when you don't do what I ask you to do. Hopefully you've learned your lesson so if you want to play the No 10 role, go out and show me what you can do.

It worked pretty well.
Shows he was wrong to play him as a touchline hugging right winger on Thursday night.

I don’t understand why so many people think being capable of one wing is easily transposable to the other side.

Anyone who has played either position would know that you face different problems.

Cantwell also doesn’t have the pace to run past players on his favoured foot, which eliminates a lot of option on the ball.

On your last point- Cantwell won almost every single MOTM poll on here last season once he was up to speed. He shows it plenty (or at least more than most).

So that means he can only play in half/quarter of the pitch? The manager thinks he can play on the right though, its not just posters on FF. TC is an intelligent player, there will be different problems Im sure that he can find ways out of them.

Last season is gone, it is meaningless now, he needs to show it now and he did today, he helped create the first goal and had an outstanding pass for the first.

I have tried supporting them 2, I am done with them.

Got a young guy coming into the team and putting they 2 to shame.

They are useless
Subbing Cantwell with the game done against hammer throwers was a no brainer, giving Danilo a rest in a game we won going into a hectic month with huge Euro, Old Firm and cup finals at stake was also a risk/reward success from Clement.
You're scraping the barrel for a moan today

I think it is worthy of comment to mention any player that is involved quite frequently in the 8 minutes they are on the field but were poor including an effort with only the keeper to beat from about 5 yards and under no-pressure.
It's not just when he's on the field, though. It's constant.
Why can't everyone just say Lammers is crap in the Lammers is crap thread?

First half was turgid.. second half better with more space.

Thought MotM was between McAusland or Sima.

Going forward will be daft not to play Sima through the middle.

Most of the players need moved on. And 1 or 2 good results or games will not fool me.

Absolute miles behind those treble winning teams of the 70s, 92-93 team and Advocaats team.

A deserved 3 points and a decent second half performance - now let’s build on it after the disappointments of the last couple of games.
McCausland is a breath of fresh air and will surely keep his place in the team; great to have someone with such close control and also the ability to spot a decisive pass. Must admit I’m pleased he hasn’t received much of the hammer-thrower treatment yet but do wonder when that will start.

When we moved the ball quickly and sharply we looked very good indeed

When we were ponderous, slow and short with passes we struggled

McCausland was terrific
Sima clinical, todd played v well as did Lundstram
Lawrence IMO had a poor first half but was v good 2nd

3 points. I still think there is something missing as we are not clinical enough. Perhaps when the injured players come back and perhaps when new players come in in the window it may click.

Sheep humped by Hibs. I'd love to see the stats of their league results immediately after they've bust a gut against us.
All you need to know is that they’d be two points adrift in twelfth place in the league if it were not for their results against Rangers.

Playing people in their right positions makes a heck of a difference.
That was Cantwell’s best performance for some time.
Lawrence grew into the game and had an influential second half.
Ross McCausland has now surely made that wide right position on his own.
We had a team that looked balanced.
However, both Tav and Borna were honking today.
The less said about Dessers, the better although he did make a good contribution to the first goal.
Thank goodness Sima had his shooting boots on!!!

Most of the players need moved on. And 1 or 2 good results or games will not fool me.

Absolute miles behind those treble winning teams of the 70s, 92-93 team and Advocaats team.

Of course we are FFS. Different times :D

You mean the time when we were buying Dutch World Cup full backs and captain of PSV, a former Man U winger and one of Hollands most influential up and coming midfielders?

Adding to a squad with a right back from Juventus?

Reactions: VGM
Of course we are FFS. Different times :D
The trouble is there seems to be a malaise where we are not willing to reach for those heights...I take it that financially we can't compete at the top level but we are simply not driven enough to reach for it or look at other methods to close the gap.

Even with the limited resources we do have we are miles off where we should be .

Many posters want most of the team punted apart from Butland.

Much better in the second half, with another tough test ahead at Tynecastle on Wednesday.
Could have played better today but I definitely saw an improvement as the game wore on.

Thought Cantwell was MOTM and Tav was really poor.

Disappointing first half but second half played some decent stuff and game was never in doubt.

Slow starts, 3 points and a clean sheet were the staples of a Walter,Dick, Eck title winning campaign
Good foundations
You’re right.
Too many forget those days.
The all too many turgid displays under these guys because, in the end, the silverware came home.
It’ll be the same if we win the league.
If we win the cup, I guarentee you there’ll be Rangers fans who’ll decry the team if they win the cup because the performance wasn’t good enough or that we didn’t beat Celtic en route.

Sorry can't, effectively out of Europe and the league. Will maybe win the league cup but that's our lot this season.
1. We're not out of Europe - in fact we're definitely through
2. In the league we're effectively 5 points behind a team who are riding their luck week after week - we will win the league
3. We're now out of the Scottish Cup without kicking a ball?
4. In reality do you spell William D-e-c-l-a-n?

Back