Is Glasgow A Deterrent for Manager?

HIHI

Believe it was a factor re Gerrards departure since AV would be within commuting distance to his family.
Wonder if it would bother Lampard to be away from London?
Probably not an issue for GVB as he has been in China!

Someone elsewhere pointed out that Lamps lived 4hrs from Norwich and an hours flight from Glasgow. Apologies for not being able to credit the poster, but its a great point. You could conceivably live in London and commute if you really wanted too. Though id imagine most folk would move here. Glasgow has a lot going for it imo.

Believe it was a factor re Gerrards departure since AV would be within commuting distance to his family.
Not much difference in Birmingham to Glasgow or Glasgow to Liverpool tbh, unless you get the train. Living in Glasgow wasn’t the issue, the spl is the issue. It isn’t the epl

For those with young kids in school it is unlikely anyone would uproot them.

But that’s the same for a lot of jobs though, whether they be Glasgow, Birmingham or Brighton.

Players and managers just don’t move families for every move now as financially they can afford to have a couple of properties at least. Years ago maybe but not now

Gerrard's kids are all of school/nursery age and the family didn't want to unsettle them. The fact that she never moved up here whilst he stayed in rented accommodation near Park Circus implied he was never here long term.

Completely different for Gio, his only child is in his late teens and he's lived here before.

Lampard has an 8 month old baby and his wife works for the BBC down south.

It's all in Gio's favour.

Gerrard's kids are all of school/nursery age and the family didn't want to unsettle them. The fact that she never moved up here whilst he stayed in rented accommodation near Park Circus implied he was never here long term.

Completely different for Gio, his only child is in his late teens and he's lived here before.

Lampard has an 8 month old baby and his wife works for the BBC down south.

It's all in Gio's favour.
Plus his misses loves it here. She said so herself.

GVB sold Marc Crosas the idea of a move to Glasgow to join the yahoos.
Crosas said at the time "I asked for advice and he advised me as a friend, not as a fan. He told me that Glasgow is a very nice city and that I would have no problems in adapting."

Did H&H not say yesterday that Lampard not even on the radar?

It's a moot point though, unless the person lives in Glasgow or commutable it would be factor for everyone. Same for any club in any city.

Crosas said at the time "I asked for advice and he advised me as a friend, not as a fan. He told me that Glasgow is a very nice city and that I would have no problems in adapting."
And what do you know, he adjusted into Suzi Maguire's hippo's yawn no bother.

I don't really understand the sentiment of the thread. Is that having to live in Glasgow or the surrounding parts would be detrimental to the Rangers job?

Yeah, that's what I expected more to hear.

It depends on the manager.

If you're absolutely loaded and have a young family living in a luxury home down south then yes. Family unlikely to relocate and that has a huge impact on happiness. But for a lot of managers it isnt. Glasgow is a major city - far more attractive than some European cities. The big thing going against it is that it means managing in Scotland. Glasgow would be more attractive than Frankfurt, Mainz, Hoffenheim etc but those teams would be more attractive as they play in a higher standard of league.

Paddy McCourt’s deputy?

If you are from England, and especially the south of England, anywhere north of london is a problem.

Warburton never moved his family here, neither did Gerrard. Lampard if he ever got the job wouldn’t either.

If you are outside of the U.K, I don’t think it is an issue. You move for the job.

If you are from England, and especially the south of England, anywhere north of london is a problem.

Warburton never moved his family here, neither did Gerrard. Lampard if he ever got the job wouldn’t either.

If you are outside of the U.K, I don’t think it is an issue. You move for the job.
And yet Eddie Howe thought it necessary. I would agree with Howe.

Did H&H not say yesterday that Lampard not even on the radar?

It's a moot point though, unless the person lives in Glasgow or commutable it would be factor for everyone. Same for any club in any city.
Not really. If Gerrard has a 2 hour commute each way from home to AV it would be much better for his family life than living in Glasgow a few days a week. He could do all his phone work in the car!
A 4 hour total commute is doable vs 6 hours from Glasgow or Newcastle and I believe it was a big factor in his decision.
BTW not condoning the manner he left us!

Not really. If Gerrard has a 2 hour commute each way from home to AV it would be much better for his family life than living in Glasgow a few days a week. He could do all his phone work in the car!
A 4 hour total commute is doable vs 6 hours from Glasgow or Newcastle and I believe it was a big factor in his decision.
BTW not condoning the manner he left us!
He was here for 3.5 years (actually longest serving manager in Scottish top flight) and signed an extension in that time. I suspect he was in Liverpool more than we realised. Admittedly Villa have significantly less fixtures than we do but ultimately the pull was the EPL not Birmingham.

Scotland, snp independence, spfl sfa hatred towards our club and the very fact the place is a shithole sort of puts people off moving here unless they come from a worse shithole and want free shit housing and exception from all criminality as long as its not aimed at snp and Ireland. Also free medical treatment, medicine, regular payments into your account for doing hee haw and free transport is a plus for no users with nothing to offer except crime, begging and hatred of all things British. But apart from that I can't think what would put people off coming here.

Someone elsewhere pointed out that Lamps lived 4hrs from Norwich and an hours flight from Glasgow. Apologies for not being able to credit the poster, but its a great point. You could conceivably live in London and commute if you really wanted too. Though id imagine most folk would move here. Glasgow has a lot going for it imo.
An hours flight to holland for gio too

Does anyone think it affects the role, detrimentally, if a manager doesn't live here, as in their overall wellbeing etc?

But...

then he met Suzi McGuire and knocked her up.

So there's that element as well :))

I expect that dealing with the whankers who run the game up here and the SMSM is a deterrent and also of course the madness of the other Mhob has to be dealt with…..

4 or 5 nights a week though? I just don't see that at all. 3 maybe/probably but 4 or 5 every week just seems far too much

I know people who work 3 hours away four days a week. They travel Monday morning and back Tuesday night, work at home Wednesday, travel down Thursday morning and back Friday night.

I know we have euro fixtures some weeks but if it’s a week with no midweek fixtures he could easily have been up for 4 days training and still be at home 4 or 5 nights a week.

Can’t see it as a deterrent, I know the city centre is a shithole these days. However Beale looked to have a pretty idyllic lifestyle up Balfron way. Can’t imagine he will replicate that in Birmingham ! I don’t believe much will change for Gerrard in terms of family time, 2.5 hour commute on a good day up the M6. Away games all over the place, so may be difficult to go straight home afterwards ! Unless of course their providing him with a helicopter, (wouldn’t be surprised).

Not much difference in Birmingham to Glasgow or Glasgow to Liverpool tbh, unless you get the train. Living in Glasgow wasn’t the issue, the spl is the issue. It isn’t the epl
Only around 1hr 45 minutes difference if driving, not the other side of the country.

People who work in football must have to accept that at any point they could find themselves needing to uproot themselves & family to move to a new location.

Whether it’s Glasgow, Birmingham, London or further afield into Europe our out as far as Davie Robertson had to go for a job… principle of largely the same - you have a contract and at the end of that contract then you might need to travel far for the next one.

In this case, GVB lived in Glasgow when he played here and while he may have commitments in his domestic life that mean moving country is a complication… that’s the life he has chosen.

The pressure of managing 1 of Glasgows big 2 is as tough as it gets.nowonder some managers with no emotional feelings for either club slither away in the night.

Back