Watching a rerun of Sparta Prague match - did Hagi have someone else’s boots on?

A couple of clumsy moments but I thought he played well.

He will have ups and downs in games but similar to someone like Kent he never hides even when it's not coming off, hope to see him get picked more consistently as he is a great talent and one I think we have undervalued to date.

Not his best night on the ball

But his movement and running was a big part of our overall success on Thursday

Played well but did seem to have trouble keeping his feet and controlling the ball which is usually a strong part of his game.
Two great assists one missed and one converted.

I thought he did well to set-up chances but was out of position and his lack of legs and poor defending was allowing them too much joy up their left-hand side.

I thought him and Aribo should’ve swapped positions, they did for a bit but it really should’ve been that way for most of the game

For me that’s always been Hagi, can do really bizarre stuff and completely wasteful. However, throughout a game you’re almost guaranteed that he’ll create something or pull off a little moment of magic.

Still don’t like him on that wide left position, most of his problems come from him having to sprint a full pace, he’s just not that sort of player. I can see him improving a lot under the new management and hopefully becomes more consistent.

He can fall over the ball or run it out park one minute then he's capable of a sublime thro ball or simple pass to cut a team open.

Frustrating and exciting in equal measure.

Trying too hard to impress, he’ll relax into the demands expected of Gio. Smashing player who still came up with an assist even playing poorly
Exactly why he is on the pitch. Guys like him, Kent and Aribo can be frustrating but they are game changers. Aribo should have scored two. Kent one.

He was poor.

He is in danger of just becoming an 'almost' player. A guy that does nothing very well consistently.

He isn't fit enough to not be contributing more as we go forward. I'd say he has been disappointing.

It was, yeah. Despitw what I would say was a mixed performance from him (and I'm a huge fan of Hagi), he was unlucky not to come away with 3 direct assists.

Which is really what he's there to do, I'd argue.
We have the most unlucky players on earth it seems. Aribo unlucky not to score 3 too. Just mad bad luck is the root of some people's analysis.

Sparta definitely not unlucky to score though. No way. That was our own genius.

He was poor.

He is in danger of just becoming an 'almost' player. A guy that does nothing very well consistently.

He isn't fit enough to not be contributing more as we go forward. I'd say he has been disappointing.
He set up one and laid it on a plate for another 2 glorious chances.
He had a couple of clumsy moments but was hardly disappointing.

Hagi for me is a classic number 10. He shouldn’t play unless he is playing centrally IMO.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, he has possibly the worst balance of any footballer I’ve ever seen play for us. The number of times he falls over, over extends to kick the ball or let’s the ball drift from his control which then makes him miss it at times is ridiculous. I sometimes think it’s due to his brain being a lot sharper than his body will allow him to be.

He clearly has talent and I like the fact that he’s not scared to shoot/play passes but if we were offered decent money for him then I’d sell.

Let’s be honest he’s not been good enough to hold down a regular first team place.Too slow and lightweight for the scottish game.One of the players I would happily sell in the transfer window.

Let’s be honest he’s not been good enough to hold down a regular first team place.Too slow and lightweight for the scottish game.One of the players I would happily sell in the transfer window.

I think it’s fair to point out Hagi is 23, whereas the others such as Aribo, Kent, Morelos, Katic are now 25.

He’s still a WIP, especially with a different kind of football to play in over here.

I think it’s fair to point out Hagi is 23, whereas the others such as Aribo, Kent, Morelos, Katic are now 25.

He’s still a WIP, especially with a different kind of football to play in over here.
With these talented players when they are not at there best they still need to be 7 out of 10, otherwise I dont see any bigger moves for them

We have the most unlucky players on earth it seems. Aribo unlucky not to score 3 too. Just mad bad luck is the root of some people's analysis.

Sparta definitely not unlucky to score though. No way. That was our own genius.

So what, Aribo and Kent missing great chances was somehow Hagi's fault?

He was poor.

Hagi has scored and contributed towards a lot of important goals. There's been plenty of positives and he was a big part of our league win.

Hagi can be poor or quiet in games but still comes up with a goal or an assist. He's a luxury player and one who can change a game out of nothing. First half for 99% he had a horror show but still that assist and determination to get the ball for Morelos was the difference.

When Gio played for us we had a player like that a certain Ronald de Boer who could be anonymous then produce something world class out of nothing!

With these talented players when they are not at there best they still need to be 7 out of 10, otherwise I dont see any bigger moves for them

Fair point. I think Kent is good in that respect. Even when not at his best he works for the team & contributes.

Reactions: sj2
Apart from setting up the first goal I thought he was poor. Tripped over his own feet several times, at one point when we were on the break in the first half he simply fell backwards off the ball, giving up possession.

Hopefully just a blip, but I’m sure GVB and his team will be keeping an eye on it.
Apart from setting up the first goal? Probably the most important event in the game

Did seem to get his feet in a fankle a couple of times. That said, give me his desire and determination to win the ball for our first goal any day - night and day compared to some of our play and efforts this season.

Hagi has done a lot of work on his physique since he has arrived, I dont think he is as lightweight as you say.

I think the thing that holds him back is he was dropped a lot for Aribo, who is a good player, but I dont think he has anywhere near the impact that Hagi has in assists and goals. Maybe if he was given a run he would improve.

He wasnt great on Thursday, yet he set up the goal. Set up another gilt edge chance and started move with a great pass on the touchline. He is just the player we cry out for and that type of player comes with negatives.

Last year both scored 7 goals in the league. The difference is Hagi got 11 assists in 1,961 minutes played and Aribo only 4 in 2,264 minutes played.

No, you couldn't conprehend. Hagi wasn't "unlucky" as you prefer to say on any analysis. Players miss chances.

They do, yes. All I was saying was that Hagi was unlucky that they did.

Your post made it sound like our players are sh*te and people are making excuses for them when they describe them as unlucky.

Rangers fans: “We need someone to play killer passes, and break down defences”.

Also Rangers fans: “Too slow and lightweight”.

Christ, Hagi is the player we were crying out for the first two seasons under Gerrard. The amount of chances he creates is ridiculous, there’s a couple of others I’d be selling before him.

Hagi has done a lot of work on his physique since he has arrived, I dont think he is as lightweight as you say.

I think the thing that holds him back is he was dropped a lot for Aribo, who is a good player, but I dont think he has anywhere near the impact that Hagi has in assists and goals. Maybe if he was given a run he would improve.

He wasnt great on Thursday, yet he set up the goal. Set up another gilt edge chance and started move with a great pass on the touchline. He is just the player we cry out for and that type of player comes with negatives.

Last year both scored 7 goals in the league. The difference is Hagi got 11 assists in 1,961 minutes played and Aribo only 4 in 2,264 minutes played.
You’re spot on.

With Aribo, he doesn’t create as much, even this season Hagi has registered more numbers in much less minutes.

Whilst Hagi registers far more numbers but I think Aribo is a better ball carrier which makes him useful in big games.

To be fair, for the ability Aribo has and the age he is at - he should be registering numbers on a more consistent basis.

Hagi is a frustrating player but then again if he had the ball retention skills of Glen Kamara and the vision to play a defense splitting pass that he himself has then he wouldn't be at Rangers, more likely a top EPL/La Liga team

Had one should have been 2 assists and looks like he will create something everytime he's on the ball, if he had mobility he would be worth 30 million in this market easily

Just spoke to my brother who re watched game & Hagi almost had an assist for Kent’s second chance too.

So could easily have had 3 assists.

Don’t disagree, ID, but Aribo in general played in deeper positions than Hagi, and provides more defensively.

I’d play both of them.

Ianis has talent no doubt but often feel he tries to hard too often, hence the wee silly mistakes. Still a player that has a huge part to play for us.

I know he set up a goal but he’s lost out wide, has to play central or not at all. He seemed tense last night and I think that showed when he tripped on the ball or let it run past him a few times

Don’t disagree, ID, but Aribo in general played in deeper positions than Hagi, and provides more defensively.

I’d play both of them.

I half agree as Aribo did get pulled back into the midfield 3 a lot, but he did start a lot over hagi in the front. Its something Im not a fan of doing, comparing one player with another. Especially when they are two good players, with different skill sets. Its something that I really liked on Thursday, there was a place for them both and kent, all in attacking positions. I had a discussion with my mate about how we have they 3, along with wright, roofe, sakala and Morelos, who we saw as all vying for being one of the top 3 in the team. Thursday managed to get 4 of them instead of 3.

Rangers fans: “We need someone to play killer passes, and break down defences”.

Also Rangers fans: “Too slow and lightweight”.

Christ, Hagi is the player we were crying out for the first two seasons under Gerrard. The amount of chances he creates is ridiculous, there’s a couple of others I’d be selling before him.
All about opinions,you are obviously happy with his contribution to the team as a bit part player.I on the other hand am not.If he was half the player you’re making out he would be starting regularly for us.The evidence would suggest otherwise.

I half agree as Aribo did get pulled back into the midfield 3 a lot, but he did start a lot over hagi in the front. Its something Im not a fan of doing, comparing one player with another. Especially when they are two good players, with different skill sets. Its something that I really liked on Thursday, there was a place for them both and kent, all in attacking positions. I had a discussion with my mate about how we have they 3, along with wright, roofe, sakala and Morelos, who we saw as all vying for being one of the top 3 in the team. Thursday managed to get 4 of them instead of 3.

Yes, good point mate.

If we can do that more often successfully, play the 4 of them, we will have three guys who can create / hurt teams as well as our striker / Alfie.

They do, yes. All I was saying was that Hagi was unlucky that they did.

Your post made it sound like our players are sh*te and people are making excuses for them when they describe them as unlucky.
Yes, that's right. You use "unlucky: massively to excuse poor performances as you're so averse to anything that is not hard on for positivism.

Back