B Team vs Cove Rangers tonight

Kids that are the same age as kids playing in 1st teams all over europe. That age of kids? Listen im not only talking about our players. Im not jsut having a go at rangers or there players.
This is actually a myth by the way, very few clubs play youth products for the sake of it.

Although Ajax, Dortmund et al play youth players they are generally signing some of these guys for huge money.

Top clubs like Inter, Milan, Juve and Napoli don’t have 1-11s of academy graduates, nor do sides like Liverpool or City.

Our youth products will get game time if they are good enough, we’ve given Patterson, Ross McCrorie and Middleton a fair decent amount of game time the past few years.

I have absolutely no issue with the way we are going just now, obviously everyone wants to see academy graduates but if they’re good enough they’ll get to the first team.

I'm going to be a wee bit controversial.

I expect a Rangers under 19 team to be better than a glorified junior team, and for me that's what Cove Rangers are.

We can attract and develop some of the best youngsters in the country, they shouldn't be 4-1 down after 45 minutes against a bunch of older and stronger has beens.

How many English premiership clubs throw boys in straight from their youth teams? It hardly ever happens. Chelsea probably have the most successful system and it’s based hugely on quality loans.

Again ill reiterate its not just rangers this happens with. I mean our game in general. We compete with other countries to a certain level then it just dies of death.
We just beat a mob from Bulgaria last week the level below.

I expect a Rangers under 19 team to be better than a glorified junior team, and for me that's what Cove Rangers are.

We can attract and develop some of the best youngsters in the country, they shouldn't be 4-1 down after 45 minutes against a bunch of older and stronger has beens.
You have no idea about levels then. It’s as simple as that.

Cove Rangers have some decent players, and have some cash but all they’re were most likely all at good academy’s as well as some point.

Very few academy players make it to a decent level, we need a squad of players in the academy to play games, but it’s pretty clear from the outset most of those won’t make it.

Even less will be good enough for Rangers.

Fodden,greenwood,wurtz just to name a few who played at a young age. Listen im not stupid enough to think that we are able financially to keep a kid at 15/16 if he was of the standard of these kids. I dont think they should be played for the sake of it.

Fodden,greenwood,wurtz just to name a few who played at a young age. Listen im not stupid enough to think that we are able financially to keep a kid at 15/16 if he was of the standard of these kids. I dont think they should be played for the sake of it.
You’ve named three players, from three different teams who are three of the best young talents in the world.

Those are the guys that make it, majority of the other 20 that came through their age group won’t though - that’s kind of what I’m trying to get at.

Patterson is our equivalent of those players, albeit younger than two of them.

We both want the same thing in fairness haha!

You’ve named three players, from three different teams who are three of the best young talents in the world.

Those are the guys that make it, majority of the other 20 that came through their age group won’t though - that’s kind of what I’m trying to get at.

Patterson is our equivalent of those players, albeit younger than two of them.

We both want the same thing in fairness haha!

Love all this chat. An actual sensible chat lol.

This is a terrible result no matter how much some are in denial.
I’m not sure you could say a bunch of 18 year olds losing to an ambitious side with a lot of experience a terrible result.

This is levels above anything they’ve faced before, I wouldn’t have expected 5-1 right enough but it’s not the end of the world.

It’s all about learning, makes a change from them generally winning every week and will give them something to reflect on.

Results come secondary to development at this level.

Some of they boys could easily play up. But i know for a fact they make better money doing that and working part time than a big spl team offered one of them
I’m fairly certain McCallister could have gone pro a few times, but made more money from the rigs and enjoyed playing with Cove so turned them down.

I’m not sure you could say a bunch of 18 year olds losing to an ambitious side with a lot of experience a terrible result.

This is levels above anything they’ve faced before, I wouldn’t have expected 5-1 right enough but it’s not the end of the world.

It’s all about learning, makes a change from them generally winning every week and will give them something to reflect on.
There team full of players that are finished mate. This is a terrible result, conceding to 10 men aswell. I don't see the B team going anywhere with the people in charge.

Some of they boys could easily play up. But i know for a fact they make better money doing that and working part time than a big spl team offered one of them

I'm sure that'll be the case with a good few, plus a few more in a division or 2 above them too.

We've lost to Dalbeattie Star, Bo'ness Utd, Cumbernauld Colts, Gala Fairydean Rovers and Civil Service Strollers in the Lowland League (two tiers below top of League 1 Cove Rangers), some of the defeats quite heavy.

Some folk need to get a bit of perspective about expectations tonight.

Lowry position, possession and vision has been good on another day could have benefited, weston has worked his socks of tonight

Is it realistic to expect any more than one from the team to actually make it to the Rangers first team squad? Am not so sure.
Meh.

As with every academy age group your unlikely to get loads, there’s a few that have a chance here and a few that’ll carve out decent lower league careers.

Absolutely no guarantees though.

I’m fairly certain McCallister could have gone pro a few times, but made more money from the rigs and enjoyed playing with Cove so turned them down.
Think he was offered a deal by St Mirren a few years ago but knocked back as you say as he would earn more money doing the job he does when he was at Peterhead.

Think he was offered a deal by St Mirren a few years ago but knocked back as you say as he would earn more money doing the job he does when he was at Peterhead.
I’ve spoken to quite a few boys at that level, a lot of the boys do choose to stay at that level because financially it all adds up.

Also it’s more about the enjoyment part of the side than hard graft, lot of lads who have been at lower end SPL clubs who want to drop down a bit and enjoy the game more.

There team full of players that are finished mate. This is a terrible result, conceding to 10 men aswell. I don't see the B team going anywhere with the people in charge.
They were 4-1 up before going down to 10 men. A group of inexperienced young kids up against a side full of experience at that level or higher its no surprise the kids are struggling. It's a poor result but a huge learning curve for the kids not sure why management needs questioned either.

I’ve spoken to quite a few boys at that level, a lot of the boys do choose to stay at that level because financially it all adds up.

Also it’s more about the enjoyment part of the side than hard graft, lot of lads who have been at lower end SPL clubs who want to drop down a bit and enjoy the game more.
Yeah I know someone that played for Clyde and Dumbarton but went junior to Irvine Meadow then Kilbirnie as both clubs were able to pay him more.

You maybe want try supporting a Rugby team? Lots of other sports out there tgat might suit you better? Easier to understand maybe?

Yeah I know someone that played for Clyde and Dumbarton but went junior to Irvine Meadow then Kilbirnie as both clubs were able to pay him more.
Clubs like Bankies, St Cadocs, EK etc are really pushing for it, I suspect in 10 or so years they’ll have replaced Brechin etc.

Know of a guy who was in the championship, and dropping to lower league gets him more money as you say.

You do wonder how long these ambitions are sustainable for.

Cove Rangers are top of League One,they have only lost 3 games this season.
They are a decent side.
It was always going to be a big step up for our young team tonight.

Clubs like Bankies, St Cadocs, EK etc are really pushing for it, I suspect in 10 or so years they’ll have replaced Brechin etc.

Know of a guy who was in the championship, and dropping to lower league gets him more money as you say.

You do wonder who long these ambitions are sustainable for.
Especially given how bizarre it is to be promoted to the Lowland.

Will say its good to see the guy Masson back playing for Cove tonight after what looked a serious injury against us at Ibrox in the cup last season. Think he's a Rangers fan as well?

Tell you have no idea about football below the Premiership, without telling me…

Cove have invested heavily. Have players that could still play top league and will challenge for promotion to the top league next year.

Back