John Lundstram

I don’t think he’s as bad as some are making out, he bossed 3 games in a row for us when playing his proper holding role. Given that Davis and Arfield are out of contract in the summer there will be plenty time for him to get into the side. Of course like every player if a bid comes in the club fund acceptable he will go especially if the main draw for him was Gerrard

He could do a decent job for us. The strange part of the signing is that it is the one area of the park where we are inundated with players. He’d have to remove one of: Davis, Kamara or Jack.

It wouldn't surprise me massively if he is loaned to an top half championship team in January tbh. If rangers can get 1 or 2 players in his position he might go sooner rather than later.

Hopefully Gio is pushing him towards the exit door. A mistake of a signing - OK we got him for close to nothing, but if he is rumoured to be close to our top earner he needs to be offering up a hell of a lot more than he has.

Fair chance he will jump in January IF he can get the same money down South and tbh that's probably a big if.

He will get his chance, probably on Thursday and needs to take it. My guess is Gio will want someone more technically gifted in that position

I expect Lundstram will feature from the start on Thursday. Gives him an opportunity to show Gio (and us) what he can do. We have a hectic schedule coming up and I hope he can provide Gio with an option for rotating the midfield.

Both Age and Wage should be coming down under GVB. Get some young talent in the door for less the price and twice the hunger. I have nothing against the guy but I just don't see him turning it on every week.

He's a very decent player, but those reported wages are pretty brutal for a guy that's not part of our best starting 11.

I feel like Gerrard signed him based in his performance in a certain role at Sheffield United then gave him a different role here and he has struggled to adapt. Need to try give him game time at some point to see if he can make it with us or at least make some money on him. If he's not going to play he won't even seem worth a punt by other teams. End up with him on big wages but not even a regular. Won't be good for the dressing room
I kinda agree with this. For me Lundstram was brought in to play on the right of the midfield - arguably to replace Jack. After a few horror shows he got shifted to the easier and less pressured deep lying centre midfielder role and had 4 x MOTM performances in a row I think it was. That Davis role isn’t really where Lundstram plays though. I expected to see him yesterday. In fact for yesterday and Thursday I expected a lot more changes from GvB. Be interesting to see if he gets a run out on Thursday.

Last edited:
Not usually one to jump to snap conclusions but given what I've seen so far & his wages, I'd punt him if we got a decent offer.

Doesn't have the physical ability to play that almost box to box role he did in his breakout season. And doesn't have the defensive awareness & positioning for the deep lying midfielder role.

There is maybe, just maybe a possibility he can prove me wrong on the latter but I just think he's too ponderous & slow.

Would be magic if we could get £4mill or so & reinvest in someone who fits

Would imagine a loan down South with somebody covering his wages in January with a view to a fee tied in the summer will be likely. Gio will work out if he fancies him before then.

Gio will move players on without doubt. Gerrard’s fault was wanting to hang on to players for too long,

Chris Wilder is now manager of Boro. Wonder if he would fancy taking him in January?

I'd let him go for free just to get the wages freed up.
It’s seems too obvious and easy that Wilder would take him. It’s a nice thought though and hopefully happens.

Gio’s set up and style doesn’t suit him.

Why do folk undervalue our players so much?

He had EPL sides trying to sign him in the summer. He is English, which means he has a huge premium attached to him, plus the January premium, plus he is on a long deal with us.

We would be able to sell him to an EPL side for a fair whack of money in January, maybe 7 or 8 million. He's probably the most likely candidate to be sold to free up some funds.
No 1 is paying that money for a guy that can't get a game in Scotland. I rate him but we have to be realistic. 2/3 million with sell on would be decent business and best all round.

Why do folk undervalue our players so much?

He had EPL sides trying to sign him in the summer. He is English, which means he has a huge premium attached to him, plus the January premium, plus he is on a long deal with us.

We would be able to sell him to an EPL side for a fair whack of money in January, maybe 7 or 8 million. He's probably the most likely candidate to be sold to free up some funds.
Want some of what you are on.

He’s only 27, still has a lot of football left in him it’s not like he’s an old guy sitting there picking up a wage (which I’m still not having is as high as suggested)

I think he’ll play his part more often than not this season.

I'm a fan of his, but if he wants to be here and the manager wants him here, he'll need prove himself good enough to start.

No 1 is paying that money for a guy that can't get a game in Scotland. I rate him but we have to be realistic. 2/3 million with sell on would be decent business and best all round.

Why? Have you seen the prices bang average English players go for?

Several EPL sides were trying to sign him on a free transfer, there would be plenty sides interested in him

I don’t think he’s as bad as some are making out, he bossed 3 games in a row for us when playing his proper holding role. Given that Davis and Arfield are out of contract in the summer there will be plenty time for him to get into the side. Of course like every player if a bid comes in the club fund acceptable he will go especially if the main draw for him was Gerrard

Agree. Far too early to judge him & we absolutely were short of midfield depth when we bought him.

If possible I would shift him on a free as soon as is possible. Awful player who in my day would have been highlighted as a cart horse.

Take it you've not sobered up from last night, this place is wild sometimes

Very much down to John, I believe he can make a massive contribution to 56. Hope I'm correct. WATP.
I’m with you Simon. I think he can play a big part in the second half of the season in the holding midfield role - as a substitute or even from the start in certain games

He’s only 27, still has a lot of football left in him it’s not like he’s an old guy sitting there picking up a wage (which I’m still not having is as high as suggested)

I think he’ll play his part more often than not this season.
He’s not started a game under Gio, dead rubber coming up aside, will that change?

He's the highest paid player at the club, which is understandable considering he was a Premiership regular and we paid no transfer fee. If he's that good then SG will come back in for him.

We haven't seen much of him since Gio arrived although it's still early days but I'm interested to see what the bears think, does he have much of a future under Gio.
He obviously doesn’t rate him.
I think Gerrard tried to keep fringe english players happy that made the move to Scotland for him, but with Gio it’s a performance based starting 11.
No mucking about.
Ronseal.

Way too early to write anybody off under Gio, he’s barely in the door and still assessing the squad. January will give us a more realistic picture of what he thinks. Summer is more likely to see his true valuation of the playing staff.

Mate no one is paying £8m for him. No one. He’s come
Up here and barely kicked a ball.
This forum always either grossly undervalues our players or grossly overestimates their values. There’s rarely a middle ground. Lundstram is not a starter for us. He is not commanding a substantial fee and I’d be pleasantly surprised if we even attracted a £1m bid.

Look at Bacuna. This is a player who was signed by a PL club on decent wages and we nabbed him for no fee while he was still under contract. We just took over his contract essentially.

Clubs are aware of our financial situation. We have received derisory offers for our star assets in £10m for Kent from Leeds and £5m for Patterson from Everton.

On no planet is a club offering anything in excess of £1m for Lundstram when he doesn’t even feature for us regularly.

Last edited:
Possibly one of the reasons why we have the situation with Goldson. You cannot bring someone in on higher wages to be a bit player when someone who has played almost every game is allegedly offered less.

The other reason being CG has decided he is far too good for the SPL.

I think he will play Thursday, perfect opportunity for him. There was a run of games I thought he looked a good signing but he’s not kicked on since then.

I honestly thought he'd turn out to be a decent signing, he still could, although it's looking less and less likely now though. He's not a bad player in all honesty. Just not sure he's good enough to justify all of the fuss surrounding him, which isn't his fault tbh. Fans haven't taken to him at all. Sometimes that happens with players. A slow start, coupled with his rumoured wages, has pretty much made sure he'll always face harsher criticism from a section of the support.

He's got a pedigree down south, I'd imagine a few clubs down there would be keen on getting him. When it comes down to a fee, I'd imagine we'd look to profit off of him, which given the fact we signed him on a bosman, I'd imagine that's doable. Despite what naysayers on this thread might be saying.

I’d be ecstatic if we manager to get £1m for him & his wage off our books.

Talk of £8m is wild.

He's been on the bench every game, hardly bombed out.

Has Wright been bombed out? Bacuna?

Where the manager is at compared with fans is usually very different, it's not a computer game.

Back