John Lundstram

If jack stays fit hes going to struggle to get a game,can see him going back down south soon dont think hel be in the future plans somehow.

If we could even get 2 or 3 million for him then get him punted. I think he's a decent player but just doesn't seem to fit very well into our required work ethic and mentality. It would probably take playing him over and over for a year or 2 before he gets to a Kamara or Jack level of consistency, but we can't afford passengers this season. If we can't sell then he may have more of a role next season

Not a bad player but I'd say he's surplus to requirements now with a fully fit squad. That may change next season with Davis you'd imagine moving on / retiring for us.

But injuries, suspensions and COVID can still play a big part in this season. Strong squad is a MUST.

Last edited:
These numbers are growing by the minute, he had 3 good games out of 19.
Well I disagree it was only three, but that is still more than 95% of the squad done before Gio came in. Kamara barely had 3 good games, nor did Kent, Roofe, Hagi, Davis. None of them got hammered nearly as much.

Someone going from a backs to the wall Sheffield Utd side is always going to need time to adapt to having 70% possession. Imagine how difficult it would be adapting while the teams in poor as %^*& form as well. Our fans gave him absolutely %^*& all chance from the start and have had it in for him even before the Alashkert game.

We haven't seen much of him since Gio arrived although it's still early days but I'm interested to see what the bears think, does he have much of a future under Gio.
Problem for him is that the new manager is looking to play 1 holding midfielder rather than 2 in most games.Hes competing with Kamara, Davis, Jack for 1 place in most of the run of the mill games.

We should look to sell in Jan if a decent offer comes in, he’s still an attractive buy for bottom of the Prem & Championship clubs. We just can’t afford his mistakes and he’s not value for money...I said in another thread he’s probably too old now to iron out the deficiencies in his game.

An OK player but like lot of players down south in the EPL/Top end of Championship their reputation precedes them due to where they play and away from the overhyped and overblown bubble down there once in the cold light of day they’re not all that they’re supposedly cracked up to be.

I personally don’t think he’s good enough to play for a club like Rangers with all the unique pressures and opposing tactics we are up against, and is ultimately more suited to the top end of the English Championship

Reactions: BWO
Giving him £36k is honestly astonishing and very poor business management because it inflates the entire wage demands of the collective when a fringe player is getting that much.

We need to get Aribo and Kent tied down on new deals. If you are either player’s agent you will be asking for circa £40k.

It’s unsustainable and all down to Gerrard’s insistence on signing the player. I don’t think Lundstram is as bad as some think but under the circumstances I’d rather we had just given Kelly a role as a squad player this season.

Gio is just in the door and he is still getting to know the players strengths and weaknesses,Too early to be writing players off.

The role he’s playing the the squad is one which should be fulfilled by a young player like Kelly, not one of our top earners.

Looking like a waste of resources so far, has had decent moments but also seems to switch off way too often with and without the ball.

MOTM for 4/5 games. Name them.

He got MOTM from the sponsors against Hearts, but it was clear Kamara and Aribo were much better that day.
Hibs in the 2-1 game he absolutely controlled the midfield and was my MOTM. Same with Livi in the cup. Dundee away he was one of the few that didn't make drastic errors every 2 seconds. And that Hearts game you mention, I still thought overall he performed better than them over the 90.

I don't think it's a coincidence he performs a lot better when Davis isn't in the team with him and that his performances improved as the season went on once he learned the system a bit. I don't think he's an exceptional midfielder either, but he isn't even close to being Andy King levels of useless.

We hoped he would be an upgrade on Arfield, but Arfield has came back into the team and played Better than Lundstram had been. His wages could definitely be used much better elsewhere.

Would be happy to see the back of him. He had about 2 or 3 good games in the Davis role but if we're paying him the rumoured £400,000 per week he has been a complete and utter waste.

Do I think he’s a starter defo not but the lads been motm in near half the games he’s started for us, Give him a break

For some reason he’s targeted on here by certain posters, played well through September, was one of our only performers during that time. I’m sure he’ll be involved on Thursday.

John Lundstram’s two MotM performances as a holding midfielder in generally terrible team performances against Dundee and Livingston will echo through the halls of time..

For £30k a week he’s a bit of a dud in all honest.Slow,cumbersome,bottled a 50/50 v the legoeater.There’s nothing he’s done in a Rangers shirt Bob Malcolm couldn’t do.

Get him moved on and his wages freed up asap along with Barker & Simpson.

Of course he does. I keep shouting from the rooftops - we need to rotate and have everyone fit and firing when the prizes are being given out.

Well I disagree it was only three, but that is still more than 95% of the squad done before Gio came in. Kamara barely had 3 good games, nor did Kent, Roofe, Hagi, Davis. None of them got hammered nearly as much.

Someone going from a backs to the wall Sheffield Utd side is always going to need time to adapt to having 70% possession. Imagine how difficult it would be adapting while the teams in poor as %^*& form as well. Our fans gave him absolutely %^*& all chance from the start and have had it in for him even before the Alashkert game.
Yeah but those players haven't had nearly as many absolutely shocking games being a key reason we've gifted goals galore.

You certainly couldn't say those players are lazy and lacklustre and would just let players run off them and jog back without a care in the world contributing to us losing goals.

I'd take a steady 7 out of 10 over a couple of 9's and a load of 4s costing us goals.

Yeah but those players haven't had nearly as many absolutely shocking games being a key reason we've gifted goals galore.

You certainly couldn't say those players are lazy and lacklustre and would just let players run off them and jog back without a care in the world.

I'd take a steady 7 out of 10 over a couple of 9's and a load of 4s costing us goals
They absolutely have had shocking games this season that have cost us points just as much as poor defensive displays.

How many goals do you actually think Lundstram has been at fault for? Malmo and Dundee United I'd agree with, and even then Tav and Goldson were as much to blame for the latter. Aberdeen he was absolutely chucked under the bus by McLaughlin and Goldson, never his fault. St Mirren, Davis let it bounce in the middle of the field then a hospital pass was played into him and McLaughlin should save the shot, hardly his fault either.

Honestly i think its going to be very difficult to move JL on was a very odd signing, hard to believe we watched him for ages and thought he would do well even in Scotland, that is obviously not the lads fault right enough. I also believe hes completely overrated on here cos hes played in the EPL if he came from Motherwell on a free and was on smaller wage the same folk probably would just admit hes not very good and that every manager makes errors with transfers.

He's started 12 games, decent in 3 of them, 2 official MOM awards and shite in the rest. Responsible for more goals conceded than decent performances

Mathematics might not be your forte as 2 going into 12 isn't quite half.
I didn’t exactly sit and check the amount of games he started! I can just remember a run of 4 games he was our best or at least one of our better performers, He’s had a fair few shockers but for me he gets a chance same as everyone else under gio

John Lundstram’s two MotM performances as a holding midfielder in generally terrible team performances against Dundee and Livingston will echo through the halls of time..

For £30k a week he’s a bit of a dud in all honest.Slow,cumbersome,bottled a 50/50 v the legoeater.There’s nothing he’s done in a Rangers shirt Bob Malcolm couldn’t do.

Get him moved on and his wages freed up asap along with Barker & Simpson.
Summed up perfectly
For a “unit” he has the heart of a mouse and is as slow as a week in the jail

Why do folk undervalue our players so much?

He had EPL sides trying to sign him in the summer. He is English, which means he has a huge premium attached to him, plus the January premium, plus he is on a long deal with us.

We would be able to sell him to an EPL side for a fair whack of money in January, maybe 7 or 8 million. He's probably the most likely candidate to be sold to free up some funds.
You are either at the wind up or you have zero clue about player transfers.

Why in fck is anyone going to pay us £7m (which works out at £135k a week) when they could have got him for free if they’d paid more than the £30k a week we’re paying him.

No EPL clubs were interested in him at all, it was us or the championship.

You’re mental

Can see him looking for a move back south.

He's not going to put up with being on the bench every week in Scotland. And I totally get that.

Might go in January, but more likely the summer.

Possibly one of the reasons why we have the situation with Goldson. You cannot bring someone in on higher wages to be a bit player when someone who has played almost every game is allegedly offered less.

The other reason being CG has decided he is far too good for the SPL.
Possibly?

They share an agent and the guy managed to get £35k a week out of us for Lundstram then demanded parity for his other client.

We fucked it.

We haven't seen much of him since Gio arrived although it's still early days but I'm interested to see what the bears think, does he have much of a future under Gio.
I reckon he will be sold in the summer can see him playing and coming off the bench at times but it's clear going forward he's a sellable asset and is on a big wage.

Gone
He can’t get in ahead of Davis Kamara and Arfield and now we have Jack coming back. He’s not as bad as some on here make out but he’s surplus to requirements

Back